Morneau Shepell Employee Reviews

great career starting point
Pension Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 April 2016
Amazing place to get started learning about the industry, however work/life balance isn't the greatest. Upper management is all about the bottom line, trying to make teams get by with fewer resources for as long as possible.
Reactive Organisation
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 November 2016
There was not a lot of consistency or areas for growth in the department I worked for. The coworkers were great however it is clear most people were disengaged as leadership rarely solicited feedback or involved employees in decision making.
Manager, Quality Assurance, (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 March 2016
Great place to work. Great people to work with and for.
Excellent work life balance and supportive management. Would have stayed with the company indefinitely if not for relocation desire
Retirement Consultant
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto19 November 2014
My job description was nothing close to the role. There is no support for employees. Compensation is lacking and is all over the place from employee to employee. Alan Torrie and Bill Morneau are not competent leaders and the employee engagement reflects this. There's been too much growth through acquisition. I'm surprised they have so much HR consulting for other companies when they lack the policies and processes in house. Every department is short staffed and it appears to be a company strategy to save money. Great for shareholders, bad for employee morale. Senior management thinks it's great that Morneau Shepell employees are huge users of the EFAP. So sad.
Pros
My co-workers were nice. Free coffee!
Cons
Long hours, low pay, management lacks competence.
Pension
Pension (Former Employee) –  Toronto31 August 2012
Worked for this company as a pension analyst and to be honest, you never do what your paid to do. They expect you to answer calls from members even though they have a call centre. They also expect you to do admin duties such as photocopying member statements, communication, etc and have you manually stuff envelopes.
Management is not very responsive to employee concerns. They tend to turn their backs and pretend they're going to do something about it. They seem to be reluctant to let go of the "bad apples" and instead have the good workers leave on them.
Pros
people are great, various other areas to grow
Cons
do way too much for the salary they pay, management not supportive
Too much OT
Mid management role (Former Employee) –  Don Mills22 February 2013
Nice offices, nice location, there is flexibility in your work day but there is an expectation to work overtime, a lot of overtime, for which you are not paid. Senior management makes commitments to clients with no thought as to how it will be accomplished and it is left to the staff to get it done by the time they promised. I worked with a great team but it was not uncommon for people to be working 60-70 hour weeks. When you break down the compensation to the hours put in it's pretty bad.
Pros
good location
Cons
long hours with no pay
It was a good place to work, learned a lot from my previous Managers and colleagues. I was a good team player.
Senior Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario15 October 2012
It was a very busy working environment.
I learned how to administer Pension Benefits, balancing the JE
I was doing the role of team leader in the absence of the Payroll Manager.
It was a great team. we all pulled together in order to meet the payroll deadline.
Year End is usually the hardest part of the job because I had to coordinate regular payroll with YE adjustment and reconciliations.
Dealing each day with the clients, employees or Partners. Be able to assist and resolve any payroll inquires.
Pros
great values, treat other as you wanted to be treated
Cons
long hrs.
Learning experience at Morneau Shepell
Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 April 2014
While working for Morneau Shepell, team spirit was encouraged by all. The work environment was amicable and supportive. The challenges were reducing the volume of high case loads and dealing with difficult clients. During this experience, i learned how to seriously prioritize in order to handle the high volume of case loads.
Pros
Great Benefits
okay
Disability Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 May 2016
okay but not great. maybe just in the wrong department. Could probably hire better managers who knows what they're doing.
Micromanagement
LEAD BILINGUAL RECRUITER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 April 2015
Huge workload with many micro management components
Toxic secrecy culture
Compensation is below part with the company
Flexibility in schedule is hard to get.
Average company
Financial Analyst - Bilingual (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2014
*Average Company
*Low compensation with very little increase
*Management do not treat you like an adult
*The tasks did not match the original job description. I found myself doing call center and being hooked to the phone all day long.
*Do not recommend this company
Toxic Environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  895 Don Mills Rd22 January 2013
I spent three years with this company at a mid-senior level. There is a severe disconnect throughout the organization.

The culture clash between Morneau (administering pensions and benefits), and Shepell ("work/life balance" services) is astounding, but no one ever seems to acknowledge, or address the inherent differences between the two companies. Yes, they are still two companies, just ask the people of Shepell-fgi.

Anything good that happens at this company is usually taken over by leadership, and they find a way to screw things up because of their petty differences and political sensitivities.

I realize this is a pretty negative review, but look up Morneau Shepell and the words they use when referring to themselves in terms of workplace mental health: "leaders", "pioneers", "part of small group of companies leading the way in Canada". i mean really, that's just too much. I can think of at least a dozen people who have suffered from psychological damage and severe depression because of this toxic environment. I know people who have been bullied and shunned by HR, I know that some bullies are still at the company, while the good people who were tormented have moved on.

Don't be fooled by the fact that this company has "good people". You find good people everywhere you go. It's the leadership you have to watch out for, and the leadership at this company stinks.
Pros
"good people"
Cons
psychologically damaging, poor leadership
Good entry level job
Client Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 December 2012
Good starting point for a recent grad in the social services field. Teaches you a lot about client intake and case management.
Pros
generous social committee-lunches, events, etc + benefits from day 1 of employment.
Cons
high stress, sales/targets
Learning Environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2012
Inbound and Outbound calls to employees regarding their benefits, pension and group RSP accounts.

Assist them with online navigation to review their benefits and account and also work very closely with other departments.
Clinical
clinical (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 December 2015
BWhat is happening is that the company became robotic. The last people they care about is the client. But make the counsellor do the work which is not valued. Counsellors are paid very little and most burn out. Quality is a joke as long as you achieve the volume expected. Watch for the coworkers they will stab you.
Pros
Get experience
Cons
Burn out
Where Too Start
Health Management Intake (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 April 2013
Morneau Shepell is a "JOKE" I am surprised that they are still in business, I guess they would be in business because they pay their employees peanuts. The workload is CRAZY they pile and pile on work but too cheap to pay their employees. Upper management is the worst, they are big children that sit around and gossip about other coworkers.

The only thing that is great about the company is the employees, you will never ever find a bunch of amazing ppl.

My department that I worked in was health management department we processed all the STD claims. Management is a joke, they are too busy feeding their fat behinds to do actually work. Clients are in the process of suing the company due to lack of communation from case workers. I wouldn't be surprised if they lose that contract.

My advice too anyone who is looking at this company is look twice, have this company as your last resort.
Pros
employees
Cons
long hours, large workload, poor wage and bad management
Horrible place to work
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 April 2013
- Management is awful. No people skills and no value for the employees. They don't know how to effectively manage whatsoever. They also have no problem telling others on your private issues.
- No Rewards or Recognition's.
- No Advancement.
- Expect to stay late but don't expect it to be appreciated.
- If you work your "required hours" and get your job done, they still view you as a slacking employee.
- Promises will be made but never kept.
- HR is horrible. Don't ever expect to get help from them or to have issues solved because it will never happen. You will end up being burned badly. Their easiest way to solve problems is just to let go people instead of solving the issues. In their eyes, you're always wrong.
- Very disorganized
- They're only about money money money. If you have to cover 3 jobs, that's just perfect for them.
Pros
good pension matching program
Cons
horrible management
Worst Company
CCR (Former Employee) –  Toronto25 February 2013
I am not sure who are writing tthese reviews on this site, but they are telling you ALL LIES. Yes the salary is OKAY and the Benfits are great but the company as a "WHOLE" is lacking.

Take it from me who has been with the company for many years, and has seen the ins and outs of what goes on, it is worst than being in a concentration camp. They could care less that they pile on more work and more work, and DON'T want to PAY you for the hard work that you do. The company has the HIGHEST employee's on Short Term Disablility. That should give you a hint that the work is hard, stressful, and depressing and you will not be compensated for your HARD WORK.

For an EAP company that promotes HEALTH AND WELLNESS to their clients surely doesn't practice what they preach when it comes to their OWN EMPLOYEES. Apparently it is the way of WORLD to treat your employee's like they do not matter, don't know what world they are living in but it isn't the world that I live in.

The RAISE LOL LOL is laughable, they shouldn't even bother give raises to their employee's it is like spitting in your face and saying "who cares if you work hard here is ten cents for your hard work"

MANAGEMENT is another story in itself, it is like high school, management is on a power trip. They gossip and talk bad about their employees to other co works and other management it is sick.

JOB SECURITY I don't think so, they will drop you in a heart beat, this place has the HIGHEST TURN OVER RATE than any other call centre I have worked in and trust me it is HIGH. As soon as a new person comes in they are GONE.

My only
  more... advice too you, is too think twice before joining this company, yes the salary is good, but ask yourself one question is it worth selling your soul to the devil. That is how I look at this company as the devil.

I wasn't fired I QUIT but I could no longer stand for what this company is about.

IT IS ALL A LIE.
Pros
good coworkers that is it.
Cons
the list is endless read above
Callous and deceitful
Disability Management (Former Employee) –  Mississauga6 December 2014
I worked for FGI before it merged with shepell.
When it bought out our original company CHC dramatic changes occurred many of them nonsensical. People who had been long time employees were callously terminated. They liked playing the good cop / bad cop game whereby one would be "coaching" and the other terminating without any warning.
Expectations are unrealistic. If you have any compassion or empathy for your clients you are expected to put that aside. If not, you will be forced to quit or be fired. Beware kind folks!
Pros
Some flexibility on time
Cons
Ruthless management.
Not worth your time
Developer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON29 January 2013
Some teams are okay, but the team I worked with is incredibly unstructured. When I asked for clarification about Morneau-specific business processes, the director asked me to 'ask around', but when I really asked people he blamed me 'you asked too much'. He has not developed the ability to communicate in a positive way, and that is why he kept recruiting and restructuring his teams (I am not sure why executives did not notice the frequent restructures). People come and go in only a few months. He is wasting company's money, and he is tossing other people's career.
Pros
good view from the window
Cons
very high turnaround rate in some team

2.9