Morneau Shepell Employee Reviews

Good learner
Informatica ETL Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 July 2016
They provide different IT solutions and services working here will help me to gain knowledge and to built my career.The work environment of the company is very good. People feel proud to be part of the company.
great career starting point
Pension Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 April 2016
Amazing place to get started learning about the industry, however work/life balance isn't the greatest. Upper management is all about the bottom line, trying to make teams get by with fewer resources for as long as possible.
Manager, Quality Assurance, (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 March 2016
Great place to work. Great people to work with and for.
Excellent work life balance and supportive management. Would have stayed with the company indefinitely if not for relocation desire
Billings (Benefits) Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 December 2016
It was a good experience supporting billing, invoicing , reporting and supporting all operations involved. Also taking actions with collections; in coordination with consultants; following established procedures.
Pros
Sharing the job
Cons
When stuffing machines break down.
Productive workplace
Call Centre Agent (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC9 July 2016
Good company to work for. Salary is low for the type of work being performed in 2 languages. The call center is in the process of being reorganized but it is a slow process.
Reactive Organisation
Anonymous (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON24 November 2016
There was not a lot of consistency or areas for growth in the department I worked for. The coworkers were great however it is clear most people were disengaged as leadership rarely solicited feedback or involved employees in decision making.
Those who can't do, teach.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 June 2016
Shepell has to be one of the most toxic work environments I have ever worked in. They monitor your work to the second (I once had 8 seconds that were "unaccounted for" and I had to justify that to my supervisor). They claim to be there to help clients during difficult times but in the background you are pushed to get this distressed person off the phone as quickly as possible while sending them as many useless packages as possible so Shepell can over bill the company for the services you are providing. The caring environment that they promote is a front for this empty shell of a profit driven company
Retirement Consultant
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto19 November 2014
My job description was nothing close to the role. There is no support for employees. Compensation is lacking and is all over the place from employee to employee. Alan Torrie and Bill Morneau are not competent leaders and the employee engagement reflects this. There's been too much growth through acquisition. I'm surprised they have so much HR consulting for other companies when they lack the policies and processes in house. Every department is short staffed and it appears to be a company strategy to save money. Great for shareholders, bad for employee morale. Senior management thinks it's great that Morneau Shepell employees are huge users of the EFAP. So sad.
Pros
My co-workers were nice. Free coffee!
Cons
Long hours, low pay, management lacks competence.
Too much OT
Mid management role (Former Employee) –  Don Mills22 February 2013
Nice offices, nice location, there is flexibility in your work day but there is an expectation to work overtime, a lot of overtime, for which you are not paid. Senior management makes commitments to clients with no thought as to how it will be accomplished and it is left to the staff to get it done by the time they promised. I worked with a great team but it was not uncommon for people to be working 60-70 hour weeks. When you break down the compensation to the hours put in it's pretty bad.
Pros
good location
Cons
long hours with no pay
Horrible place to work
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB17 April 2013
- Management is awful. No people skills and no value for the employees. They don't know how to effectively manage whatsoever. They also have no problem telling others on your private issues.
- No Rewards or Recognition's.
- No Advancement.
- Expect to stay late but don't expect it to be appreciated.
- If you work your "required hours" and get your job done, they still view you as a slacking employee.
- Promises will be made but never kept.
- HR is horrible. Don't ever expect to get help from them or to have issues solved because it will never happen. You will end up being burned badly. Their easiest way to solve problems is just to let go people instead of solving the issues. In their eyes, you're always wrong.
- Very disorganized
- They're only about money money money. If you have to cover 3 jobs, that's just perfect for them.
Pros
good pension matching program
Cons
horrible management
Where Too Start
Health Management Intake (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 April 2013
Morneau Shepell is a "JOKE" I am surprised that they are still in business, I guess they would be in business because they pay their employees peanuts. The workload is CRAZY they pile and pile on work but too cheap to pay their employees. Upper management is the worst, they are big children that sit around and gossip about other coworkers.

The only thing that is great about the company is the employees, you will never ever find a bunch of amazing ppl.

My department that I worked in was health management department we processed all the STD claims. Management is a joke, they are too busy feeding their fat behinds to do actually work. Clients are in the process of suing the company due to lack of communation from case workers. I wouldn't be surprised if they lose that contract.

My advice too anyone who is looking at this company is look twice, have this company as your last resort.
Pros
employees
Cons
long hours, large workload, poor wage and bad management
Boring work, low salary, great team
Adjoint Actuariel (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC1 January 2016
As a junior actuarial analyst most of my tasks were paper work, no maths involved. I learnt about the pension laws in Quebec... My co workers were all very nice, many team bonding events are paid by the employer.

The working hours were reasonable, a bit of overtime close to key dates.
Pros
nice work place, free coffee
Cons
low salary, boring job
Pension
Pension (Former Employee) –  Toronto31 August 2012
Worked for this company as a pension analyst and to be honest, you never do what your paid to do. They expect you to answer calls from members even though they have a call centre. They also expect you to do admin duties such as photocopying member statements, communication, etc and have you manually stuff envelopes.
Management is not very responsive to employee concerns. They tend to turn their backs and pretend they're going to do something about it. They seem to be reluctant to let go of the "bad apples" and instead have the good workers leave on them.
Pros
people are great, various other areas to grow
Cons
do way too much for the salary they pay, management not supportive
Callous and deceitful
Disability Management (Former Employee) –  Mississauga6 December 2014
I worked for FGI before it merged with shepell.
When it bought out our original company CHC dramatic changes occurred many of them nonsensical. People who had been long time employees were callously terminated. They liked playing the good cop / bad cop game whereby one would be "coaching" and the other terminating without any warning.
Expectations are unrealistic. If you have any compassion or empathy for your clients you are expected to put that aside. If not, you will be forced to quit or be fired. Beware kind folks!
Pros
Some flexibility on time
Cons
Ruthless management.
Not worth your time
Developer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON29 January 2013
Some teams are okay, but the team I worked with is incredibly unstructured. When I asked for clarification about Morneau-specific business processes, the director asked me to 'ask around', but when I really asked people he blamed me 'you asked too much'. He has not developed the ability to communicate in a positive way, and that is why he kept recruiting and restructuring his teams (I am not sure why executives did not notice the frequent restructures). People come and go in only a few months. He is wasting company's money, and he is tossing other people's career.
Pros
good view from the window
Cons
very high turnaround rate in some team
Micromanagement
LEAD BILINGUAL RECRUITER (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 April 2015
Huge workload with many micro management components
Toxic secrecy culture
Compensation is below part with the company
Flexibility in schedule is hard to get.
okay
Disability Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 May 2016
okay but not great. maybe just in the wrong department. Could probably hire better managers who knows what they're doing.
Toxic Environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  895 Don Mills Rd22 January 2013
I spent three years with this company at a mid-senior level. There is a severe disconnect throughout the organization.

The culture clash between Morneau (administering pensions and benefits), and Shepell ("work/life balance" services) is astounding, but no one ever seems to acknowledge, or address the inherent differences between the two companies. Yes, they are still two companies, just ask the people of Shepell-fgi.

Anything good that happens at this company is usually taken over by leadership, and they find a way to screw things up because of their petty differences and political sensitivities.

I realize this is a pretty negative review, but look up Morneau Shepell and the words they use when referring to themselves in terms of workplace mental health: "leaders", "pioneers", "part of small group of companies leading the way in Canada". i mean really, that's just too much. I can think of at least a dozen people who have suffered from psychological damage and severe depression because of this toxic environment. I know people who have been bullied and shunned by HR, I know that some bullies are still at the company, while the good people who were tormented have moved on.

Don't be fooled by the fact that this company has "good people". You find good people everywhere you go. It's the leadership you have to watch out for, and the leadership at this company stinks.
Pros
"good people"
Cons
psychologically damaging, poor leadership
Learning experience at Morneau Shepell
Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 April 2014
While working for Morneau Shepell, team spirit was encouraged by all. The work environment was amicable and supportive. The challenges were reducing the volume of high case loads and dealing with difficult clients. During this experience, i learned how to seriously prioritize in order to handle the high volume of case loads.
Pros
Great Benefits
Average company
Financial Analyst - Bilingual (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2014
*Average Company
*Low compensation with very little increase
*Management do not treat you like an adult
*The tasks did not match the original job description. I found myself doing call center and being hooked to the phone all day long.
*Do not recommend this company

2.9