Morneau Shepell Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
reliable and friendly organization
Facilitator /Trainer/Keynote Speaker/Coach (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJanuary 10, 2014
Great system for offering requests to facilitators. My contacts were polite, friendly and understanding.

The hardest part of the work was the part time nature of it and the most enjoyable aspect of the work was also the part time nature of it!
Met some friends
Defined Contribution Pension Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 12, 2013
Pros: jean days on friday's
Cons: people talking behind peoples backs and pretending to be their friends
Did daily trades in the morning
Co-workers weren't the best of people, there was so much gossiping about other people. Not the environment I liked
Hardest part was when you have several people at once demanding things from you. Tellin you that it's top priority and that theirs was more important than the others.
The most enjoyable part was I met a lot of friends that I will cherish for the rest of my life.
Excellent Compay
Recruiter (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJune 12, 2013
Morneau Shepell/Shepell fgi is an excellent company to work for. The people and culture were the best.
Productive and fun
Fulfillment Administrator (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 11, 2013
Great environment and management there is a lot of opportunities to explore in various departments.
Professional and dynamic environment
EAP Regional Counsellor: (Current Employee), Yellowknife, NTApril 22, 2013
Pros: a free trip to head office a year to meet with all the counsellors in our region
Cons: having to see so many clients per day and having to work two long evenings a week.
The expectation of the company is to see 6-7 clients daily. A typical day is reviewing daily/weekly schedule, make adjustments and changes as necessary. Check for messages both phone and email to see if their are any cancellations or new clients. Follow up on clients who have not rebooked, have not showed up for appointments or need to have their file closed. I have become quite proficient in the solution focused approach to counselling. I have learned how to wrap up sessions more effectively and how to listen more attentively. I work autonomously in my office but have once a month check in with peers. Monthly staff meeting via telephone.
The most difficult aspect of the work is the push to see so many clients per day. The most enjoyable is to see the clients achieve their goal and experience success with the counselling.
Where Too Start
Health Management Intake (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONApril 19, 2013
Pros: employees
Cons: long hours, large workload, poor wage and bad management
Morneau Shepell is a "JOKE" I am surprised that they are still in business, I guess they would be in business because they pay their employees peanuts. The workload is CRAZY they pile and pile on work but too cheap to pay their employees. Upper management is the worst, they are big children that sit around and gossip about other coworkers.

The only thing that is great about the company is the employees, you will never ever find a bunch of amazing ppl.

My department that I worked in was health management department we processed all the STD claims. Management is a joke, they are too busy feeding their fat behinds to do actually work. Clients are in the process of suing the company due to lack of communation from case workers. I wouldn't be surprised if they lose that contract.

My advice too anyone who is looking at this company is look twice, have this company as your last resort.
Horrible place to work
Client Service Representative (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 17, 2013
Pros: good pension matching program
Cons: horrible management
- Management is awful. No people skills and no value for the employees. They don't know how to effectively manage whatsoever. They also have no problem telling others on your private issues.
- No Rewards or Recognition's.
- No Advancement.
- Expect to stay late but don't expect it to be appreciated.
- If you work your "required hours" and get your job done, they still view you as a slacking employee.
- Promises will be made but never kept.
- HR is horrible. Don't ever expect to get help from them or to have issues solved because it will never happen. You will end up being burned badly. Their easiest way to solve problems is just to let go people instead of solving the issues. In their eyes, you're always wrong.
- Very disorganized
- They're only about money money money. If you have to cover 3 jobs, that's just perfect for them.

April 21, 2013

yes no one helps an employee HR is useless and just answers to higher mgmt. instead of listening to valid concerns. EAP refers employees to speak with HR about work concerns and that is just a nail in the coffin for the employee

Not a good employer
Disability Case Manager (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 13, 2013
Cons: not transparent, overwork case manager and terminate people who have been on std or request accommodation
Company does not champion ethical treatment of older workers and those with disabilities who request accommodation
Worst Company
CCR (Former Employee), TorontoFebruary 25, 2013
Pros: good coworkers that is it.
Cons: the list is endless read above
I am not sure who are writing tthese reviews on this site, but they are telling you ALL LIES. Yes the salary is OKAY and the Benfits are great but the company as a "WHOLE" is lacking.

Take it from me who has been with the company for many years, and has seen the ins and outs of what goes on, it is worst than being in a concentration camp. They could care less that they pile on more work and more work, and DON'T want to PAY you for the hard work that you do. The company has the HIGHEST employee's on Short Term Disablility. That should give you a hint that the work is hard, stressful, and depressing and you will not be compensated for your HARD WORK.

For an EAP company that promotes HEALTH AND WELLNESS to their clients surely doesn't practice what they preach when it comes to their OWN EMPLOYEES. Apparently it is the way of WORLD to treat your employee's like they do not matter, don't know what world they are living in but it isn't the world that I live in.

The RAISE LOL LOL is laughable, they shouldn't even bother give raises to their employee's it is like spitting in your face and saying "who cares if you work hard here is ten cents for your hard work"

MANAGEMENT is another story in itself, it is like high school, management is on a power trip. They gossip and talk bad about their employees to other co works and other management it is sick.

JOB SECURITY I don't think so, they will drop you in a heart beat, this place has the HIGHEST TURN OVER RATE than any other call centre I have worked in and trust me it is HIGH. As soon as a new person comes in they are GONE.

My only – more... advice too you, is too think twice before joining this company, yes the salary is good, but ask yourself one question is it worth selling your soul to the devil. That is how I look at this company as the devil.

I wasn't fired I QUIT but I could no longer stand for what this company is about.

IT IS ALL A LIE. – less

April 17, 2013

Everything you have said is spot on!! Your comment is valid for their other offices as well.

Too much OT
Mid management role (Former Employee), Don MillsFebruary 22, 2013
Pros: good location
Cons: long hours with no pay
Nice offices, nice location, there is flexibility in your work day but there is an expectation to work overtime, a lot of overtime, for which you are not paid. Senior management makes commitments to clients with no thought as to how it will be accomplished and it is left to the staff to get it done by the time they promised. I worked with a great team but it was not uncommon for people to be working 60-70 hour weeks. When you break down the compensation to the hours put in it's pretty bad.

February 25, 2013

AGREE 100% the company loves to pile on work but do not want to compensate you for your hard work.

Flexible Work Hours
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Vancouver, BCFebruary 6, 2013
Pros: flexible work hours
Cons: working overtime
Being busy on a typical day. Assisting co-workers with their heavy workload.

The hardest part of the job if working overtime.
The most enjoyable part of the job is flexible time
excellent company to work for
Service Coordinator (Former Employee), Sydney, NSFebruary 6, 2013
managers were great and ongoing training. Loved working with the public on a daily basis and assisting my clients.
Toxic Environment
Manager (Former Employee), 895 Don Mills RdJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: "good people"
Cons: psychologically damaging, poor leadership
I spent three years with this company at a mid-senior level. There is a severe disconnect throughout the organization.

The culture clash between Morneau (administering pensions and benefits), and Shepell ("work/life balance" services) is astounding, but no one ever seems to acknowledge, or address the inherent differences between the two companies. Yes, they are still two companies, just ask the people of Shepell-fgi.

Anything good that happens at this company is usually taken over by leadership, and they find a way to screw things up because of their petty differences and political sensitivities.

I realize this is a pretty negative review, but look up Morneau Shepell and the words they use when referring to themselves in terms of workplace mental health: "leaders", "pioneers", "part of small group of companies leading the way in Canada". i mean really, that's just too much. I can think of at least a dozen people who have suffered from psychological damage and severe depression because of this toxic environment. I know people who have been bullied and shunned by HR, I know that some bullies are still at the company, while the good people who were tormented have moved on.

Don't be fooled by the fact that this company has "good people". You find good people everywhere you go. It's the leadership you have to watch out for, and the leadership at this company stinks.

April 15, 2013

Yes and now 2.5 months after terminating over 70 people they have the gall to now start recruiting for these same positions. One is on Indeed.ca today for Disability Case Manager. They should be reported for unethical business practices and should be very ashamed of themselves. This will be reported to the appropriate authorities.

Morneau Shepell Ltd review summary
Senior Developer (Former Employee), Markham, ONJanuary 8, 2013
Pros: work from home
Cons: everyone for himself
A typical day at work consist on average 2 teleconferencing meeting, bunch of emails needs to answer and you try to handle several projects at the same time.
What I learned is don't believe what recruiters tell you about company. Contact people, who actually did work there.
Management wants results and don't want to be involved in your problems.
Most co-workers are very nice people.
The hardest part of the job is to find information you need to do your job, as there is not much time allocated to provide documentation.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you achieve some result, despite all roadblocks. But this doesn't last long.
Good entry level job
Client Care Representative (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONDecember 17, 2012
Pros: generous social committee-lunches, events, etc + benefits from day 1 of employment.
Cons: high stress, sales/targets
Good starting point for a recent grad in the social services field. Teaches you a lot about client intake and case management.
It was a good place to work, learned a lot from my previous Managers and colleagues. I was a good team player.
Senior Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee), Toronto, OntarioOctober 15, 2012
Pros: great values, treat other as you wanted to be treated
Cons: long hrs.
It was a very busy working environment.
I learned how to administer Pension Benefits, balancing the JE
I was doing the role of team leader in the absence of the Payroll Manager.
It was a great team. we all pulled together in order to meet the payroll deadline.
Year End is usually the hardest part of the job because I had to coordinate regular payroll with YE adjustment and reconciliations.
Dealing each day with the clients, employees or Partners. Be able to assist and resolve any payroll inquires.
Learning Environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2012
Inbound and Outbound calls to employees regarding their benefits, pension and group RSP accounts.

Assist them with online navigation to review their benefits and account and also work very closely with other departments.
Pension
Pension (Former Employee), TorontoAugust 31, 2012
Pros: people are great, various other areas to grow
Cons: do way too much for the salary they pay, management not supportive
Worked for this company as a pension analyst and to be honest, you never do what your paid to do. They expect you to answer calls from members even though they have a call centre. They also expect you to do admin duties such as photocopying member statements, communication, etc and have you manually stuff envelopes.
Management is not very responsive to employee concerns. They tend to turn their backs and pretend they're going to do something about it. They seem to be reluctant to let go of the "bad apples" and instead have the good workers leave on them.
Rewarding place for a hard worker
Pension Analyst (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 22, 2012
It was a fun and educational experience. Hard work is essential everywhere if you want to succeed and Morneau is no exception but the firm has a lot of enthusiasm and positive energy.
Good company
External Consultant (volunteer) (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 26, 2012
Pros: guidance
Worked (volunteer) only for 2 months. Management was very supportive