Morneau Shepell Employee Reviews in Canada

Pension
Pension (Former Employee) –  TorontoAugust 31, 2012
Worked for this company as a pension analyst and to be honest, you never do what your paid to do. They expect you to answer calls from members even though they have a call centre. They also expect you to do admin duties such as photocopying member statements, communication, etc and have you manually stuff envelopes.
Management is not very responsive to employee concerns. They tend to turn their backs and pretend they're going to do something about it. They seem to be reluctant to let go of the "bad apples" and instead have the good workers leave on them.
Pros
people are great, various other areas to grow
Cons
do way too much for the salary they pay, management not supportive
Not worth your time
Developer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 29, 2013
Some teams are okay, but the team I worked with is incredibly unstructured. When I asked for clarification about Morneau-specific business processes, the director asked me to 'ask around', but when I really asked people he blamed me 'you asked too much'. He has not developed the ability to communicate in a positive way, and that is why he kept recruiting and restructuring his teams (I am not sure why executives did not notice the frequent restructures). People come and go in only a few months. He is wasting company's money, and he is tossing other people's career.
Pros
good view from the window
Cons
very high turnaround rate in some team
very supportive work environment
Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 30, 2015
I felt supported in all aspects of my position. I was able to discuss - border line - claims with supervisor. I was able to gain access to my supervisor at all times
Pros
after work events
Toxic Environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  895 Don Mills RdJanuary 22, 2013
I spent three years with this company at a mid-senior level. There is a severe disconnect throughout the organization.

The culture clash between Morneau (administering pensions and benefits), and Shepell ("work/life balance" services) is astounding, but no one ever seems to acknowledge, or address the inherent differences between the two companies. Yes, they are still two companies, just ask the people of Shepell-fgi.

Anything good that happens at this company is usually taken over by leadership, and they find a way to screw things up because of their petty differences and political sensitivities.

I realize this is a pretty negative review, but look up Morneau Shepell and the words they use when referring to themselves in terms of workplace mental health: "leaders", "pioneers", "part of small group of companies leading the way in Canada". i mean really, that's just too much. I can think of at least a dozen people who have suffered from psychological damage and severe depression because of this toxic environment. I know people who have been bullied and shunned by HR, I know that some bullies are still at the company, while the good people who were tormented have moved on.

Don't be fooled by the fact that this company has "good people". You find good people everywhere you go. It's the leadership you have to watch out for, and the leadership at this company stinks.
Pros
"good people"
Cons
psychologically damaging, poor leadership
Good team atmosphere
Sr. Benefits Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioMay 18, 2015
The work is detailed and requires keeping current with changes to Benefit rules, legislation and laws. Project work can be demanding but allows for stretching and expanding one's skills and organizing the managing time efficiently. It also allows for collaboration with multidisciplinary teams.
Pros
great team
Cons
extremely long hours
Worked alongside great colleagues
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2015
Looked forward to going to work on a daily basis as colleagues were friendly. Learned a lot about the products and services offered by the company and they always encouraged engagement.
Learning experience at Morneau Shepell
Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONApril 21, 2014
While working for Morneau Shepell, team spirit was encouraged by all. The work environment was amicable and supportive. The challenges were reducing the volume of high case loads and dealing with difficult clients. During this experience, i learned how to seriously prioritize in order to handle the high volume of case loads.
Pros
Great Benefits
Average company
Financial Analyst - Bilingual (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 12, 2014
*Average Company
*Low compensation with very little increase
*Management do not treat you like an adult
*The tasks did not match the original job description. I found myself doing call center and being hooked to the phone all day long.
*Do not recommend this company
Good job & Great Boss
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 7, 2013
Able to multi task and be super organized to stay on top of deadlines. Strong technical skills required. I have learned to ask questions and at time negotiate a reasonable due date (if I've more than 3 projects requiring my attentiion). The job involved supporting several senior managers (with busy desks).

Co-workers are always professional but equally busy.

The hardest part of the job is the constant interruption (ie fielding phone calls from customers / clients who do not want to leave a voice message, etc) or team members who need assistant or have a question that can't wait, while I am in the middle of a project that is due within the hour.

The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I have helped and I was able to meet the deadline.
Pros
Vacation and Personal Days
Cons
Long hours and the commute to and from home (+ cost of parking & gas)
Worst Company
CCR (Former Employee) –  TorontoFebruary 25, 2013
I am not sure who are writing tthese reviews on this site, but they are telling you ALL LIES. Yes the salary is OKAY and the Benfits are great but the company as a "WHOLE" is lacking.

Take it from me who has been with the company for many years, and has seen the ins and outs of what goes on, it is worst than being in a concentration camp. They could care less that they pile on more work and more work, and DON'T want to PAY you for the hard work that you do. The company has the HIGHEST employee's on Short Term Disablility. That should give you a hint that the work is hard, stressful, and depressing and you will not be compensated for your HARD WORK.

For an EAP company that promotes HEALTH AND WELLNESS to their clients surely doesn't practice what they preach when it comes to their OWN EMPLOYEES. Apparently it is the way of WORLD to treat your employee's like they do not matter, don't know what world they are living in but it isn't the world that I live in.

The RAISE LOL LOL is laughable, they shouldn't even bother give raises to their employee's it is like spitting in your face and saying "who cares if you work hard here is ten cents for your hard work"

MANAGEMENT is another story in itself, it is like high school, management is on a power trip. They gossip and talk bad about their employees to other co works and other management it is sick.

JOB SECURITY I don't think so, they will drop you in a heart beat, this place has the HIGHEST TURN OVER RATE than any other call centre I have worked in and trust me it is HIGH. As soon as a new person comes in they are GONE.

My only
  more... advice too you, is too think twice before joining this company, yes the salary is good, but ask yourself one question is it worth selling your soul to the devil. That is how I look at this company as the devil.

I wasn't fired I QUIT but I could no longer stand for what this company is about.

IT IS ALL A LIE.
Pros
good coworkers that is it.
Cons
the list is endless read above
Morneau Shepell Ltd review summary
Senior Developer (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONJanuary 8, 2013
A typical day at work consist on average 2 teleconferencing meeting, bunch of emails needs to answer and you try to handle several projects at the same time.
What I learned is don't believe what recruiters tell you about company. Contact people, who actually did work there.
Management wants results and don't want to be involved in your problems.
Most co-workers are very nice people.
The hardest part of the job is to find information you need to do your job, as there is not much time allocated to provide documentation.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you achieve some result, despite all roadblocks. But this doesn't last long.
Pros
work from home
Cons
everyone for himself
It was a good place to work, learned a lot from my previous Managers and colleagues. I was a good team player.
Senior Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioOctober 15, 2012
It was a very busy working environment.
I learned how to administer Pension Benefits, balancing the JE
I was doing the role of team leader in the absence of the Payroll Manager.
It was a great team. we all pulled together in order to meet the payroll deadline.
Year End is usually the hardest part of the job because I had to coordinate regular payroll with YE adjustment and reconciliations.
Dealing each day with the clients, employees or Partners. Be able to assist and resolve any payroll inquires.
Pros
great values, treat other as you wanted to be treated
Cons
long hrs.
Good entry level job
Client Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 17, 2012
Good starting point for a recent grad in the social services field. Teaches you a lot about client intake and case management.
Pros
generous social committee-lunches, events, etc + benefits from day 1 of employment.
Cons
high stress, sales/targets
Resolving issues
Associate Client Manager (Current Employee) –  TorontoMay 5, 2014
Every day has different challenges and my team and I will work to resolve them. The issue has to be identified first and then I establish the plan and the tasks to complete to resolve it. We will look into all the resources and validation. I will make sure that the issue is resolved and will not affect our client again.
Pros
Flexibility to work from home
Cons
Long hours of work
Good company to work for if you aren't afraid of hard work
Proposal Writer (Current Employee) –  Don Mills, ONMarch 18, 2014
Overall I must say that I do enjoy working for Morneau Shepell. The main reason I have decided to look for other opportunities is the lack of advancement opportunities in my department.
Pros
Good, progressive organization
Cons
Workload is insane and hours are long
Productive and fun workplace, with fusball as a great team sport!
Sr. Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 23, 2014
Good work culture. Colleagues especially peers are better and nice.
Pros
great folks especially in peer groups, friendly, and fun place
Cons
stagnation on roles for years, pick-and-choose style office politics
Excellent Working Atmosphere
Senior Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 24, 2014
Excellent work atmosphere
Life/ Work Balance is easy to maintain.
Management provides support and gives you time to adapt and learn.
Learning Environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2012
Inbound and Outbound calls to employees regarding their benefits, pension and group RSP accounts.

Assist them with online navigation to review their benefits and account and also work very closely with other departments.
Amazing place to help employees in need of support
Employee Assistance Clinical Care /Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SKApril 28, 2014
 Initially respond to crisis calls and ensure a Client Care Counselor assists client until resolution.
 Connect clients with services and referrals within their area that provides support for immediate needs.
 Manage Call Center coverage and scheduling
 Collect and analyze client eligibility based on employment contract with company.
 Detailed record keeping
 Provide information on Shepell•fgi programs and services
 Manage client/Provider escalations and resolutions
Pros
assisting people in crisis providing them with support
Cons
managment
Excellent Compay
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 12, 2013
Morneau Shepell/Shepell fgi is an excellent company to work for. The people and culture were the best.

2.9