Morneau Shepell Employee Reviews in Canada

Those who can't do, teach.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 14, 2016
Shepell has to be one of the most toxic work environments I have ever worked in. They monitor your work to the second (I once had 8 seconds that were "unaccounted for" and I had to justify that to my supervisor). They claim to be there to help clients during difficult times but in the background you are pushed to get this distressed person off the phone as quickly as possible while sending them as many useless packages as possible so Shepell can over bill the company for the services you are providing. The caring environment that they promote is a front for this empty shell of a profit driven company
Morneau offers lots of experience and career growth
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 11, 2016
Great place to work. Great people to work with. Team atmosphere where everybody is willing to go the extra mile. The bad part is that you can work lots of extra hours unpaid. The best part is that the job is flexible time and you can sometime work from home. Salaries are lower than the competitors.
Managers in this company are Gods who are never questioned. Management have no people skills and no value for the employees.
could be better
Sales Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 31, 2016
Upper management needs to be improved, they do not listen to their staff's opinion for improvements. Work life balance is great and the company is very understanding and flexible. The benefits are good, but the compensations and advancement opportunities are limited
Pros
Great benefits, ability to work from home
Cons
under paid and little room to advance
Low wage, questionnable management
Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 24, 2016
the salary is lower than everywhere else, the company doesn't care about its employees development. you need to be buddy with your boss to get a promotion because the annual evaluation is a joke. the annual pay raise is extremely low as they try to convince you that it is because the company had a bad financial year. lack of leadership by the management.

don't waste your time there!
great career starting point
Pension Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 5, 2016
Amazing place to get started learning about the industry, however work/life balance isn't the greatest. Upper management is all about the bottom line, trying to make teams get by with fewer resources for as long as possible.
Boring work, low salary, great team
Adjoint Actuariel (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 1, 2016
As a junior actuarial analyst most of my tasks were paper work, no maths involved. I learnt about the pension laws in Quebec... My co workers were all very nice, many team bonding events are paid by the employer.

The working hours were reasonable, a bit of overtime close to key dates.
Pros
nice work place, free coffee
Cons
low salary, boring job
Clinical
clinical (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2015
BWhat is happening is that the company became robotic. The last people they care about is the client. But make the counsellor do the work which is not valued. Counsellors are paid very little and most burn out. Quality is a joke as long as you achieve the volume expected. Watch for the coworkers they will stab you.
Pros
Get experience
Cons
Burn out
Nice and helpfull co-workers
Client Manager/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 9, 2016
Looking for a better opportunity. Better compensation. More organized company. Looking for better promotion opportunities.
Pros
NICE COWORKERS
Cons
SYSTEM DOWNS
Manager, Quality Assurance, (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 17, 2016
Great place to work. Great people to work with and for.
Excellent work life balance and supportive management. Would have stayed with the company indefinitely if not for relocation desire
okay
Disability Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 10, 2016
okay but not great. maybe just in the wrong department. Could probably hire better managers who knows what they're doing.
Good Job
Disability Management Consultant for Scotia Bank (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 3, 2015
Unable to complete the required work within a working day. At the present moment, working as a case manager is not the best employment opportunity at Morneau Shepell
very supportive work environment
Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 30, 2015
I felt supported in all aspects of my position. I was able to discuss - border line - claims with supervisor. I was able to gain access to my supervisor at all times
Pros
after work events
Worked alongside great colleagues
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2015
Looked forward to going to work on a daily basis as colleagues were friendly. Learned a lot about the products and services offered by the company and they always encouraged engagement.
Good team atmosphere
Sr. Benefits Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioMay 18, 2015
The work is detailed and requires keeping current with changes to Benefit rules, legislation and laws. Project work can be demanding but allows for stretching and expanding one's skills and organizing the managing time efficiently. It also allows for collaboration with multidisciplinary teams.
Pros
great team
Cons
extremely long hours
Callous and deceitful
Disability Management (Former Employee) –  MississaugaDecember 6, 2014
I worked for FGI before it merged with shepell.
When it bought out our original company CHC dramatic changes occurred many of them nonsensical. People who had been long time employees were callously terminated. They liked playing the good cop / bad cop game whereby one would be "coaching" and the other terminating without any warning.
Expectations are unrealistic. If you have any compassion or empathy for your clients you are expected to put that aside. If not, you will be forced to quit or be fired. Beware kind folks!
Pros
some flexibility on time
Cons
ruthless management.
Retirement Consultant
Consultant (Former Employee) –  TorontoNovember 19, 2014
My job description was nothing close to the role. There is no support for employees. Compensation is lacking and is all over the place from employee to employee. Alan Torrie and Bill Morneau are not competent leaders and the employee engagement reflects this. There's been too much growth through acquisition. I'm surprised they have so much HR consulting for other companies when they lack the policies and processes in house. Every department is short staffed and it appears to be a company strategy to save money. Great for shareholders, bad for employee morale. Senior management thinks it's great that Morneau Shepell employees are huge users of the EFAP. So sad.
Pros
my co-workers were nice. free coffee!
Cons
long hours, low pay, management lacks competence.
Amazing place to help employees in need of support
Employee Assistance Clinical Care /Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Leader, SKApril 28, 2014
 Initially respond to crisis calls and ensure a Client Care Counselor assists client until resolution.
 Connect clients with services and referrals within their area that provides support for immediate needs.
 Manage Call Center coverage and scheduling
 Collect and analyze client eligibility based on employment contract with company.
 Detailed record keeping
 Provide information on Shepell•fgi programs and services
 Manage client/Provider escalations and resolutions
Pros
assisting people in crisis providing them with support
Cons
managment
Professional environment, great learning experience
Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSApril 23, 2014
I worked at Morneau Shepell for a 4 month co-op placement. It was a full time job where I learned a lot of computer skills including Microsoft Office and how to work well in a professional office environment. My co-workers varied in age, back-ground, and roles in the office, so I learned to appreciate everything that each individual contributed. I really enjoyed working in Microsoft office designing spreadsheets and drafting reports.
Intersting
Business Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 10, 2014
• Managed and implement strategic relationships with key contacts from C- level prospects and third party advisors, aligning value driven goals, corporate objectives and client vision to lead prosperous partnerships.
• Championed a series of new business opportunities from conception to fruition
Client: A benevolent fund
During preliminary conversations, the client presented a concept/vision of emergency support for their members
Met some friends
Defined Contribution Pension Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 12, 2013
Did daily trades in the morning
Co-workers weren't the best of people, there was so much gossiping about other people. Not the environment I liked
Hardest part was when you have several people at once demanding things from you. Tellin you that it's top priority and that theirs was more important than the others.
The most enjoyable part was I met a lot of friends that I will cherish for the rest of my life.
Pros
jean days on friday's
Cons
people talking behind peoples backs and pretending to be their friends