Morneau Shepell Employee Reviews

Low wage, questionnable management
Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 24, 2016
the salary is lower than everywhere else, the company doesn't care about its employees development. you need to be buddy with your boss to get a promotion because the annual evaluation is a joke. the annual pay raise is extremely low as they try to convince you that it is because the company had a bad financial year. lack of leadership by the management.

don't waste your time there!
Boring work, low salary, great team
Adjoint Actuariel (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 1, 2016
As a junior actuarial analyst most of my tasks were paper work, no maths involved. I learnt about the pension laws in Quebec... My co workers were all very nice, many team bonding events are paid by the employer.

The working hours were reasonable, a bit of overtime close to key dates.
Pros
nice work place, free coffee
Cons
low salary, boring job
Productive and fun workplace, team oriented
CLIENT SERVICES/SUPPORT CO-ORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJuly 28, 2016
I would start my day with checking e-mails, Categorizing them and resolving urgent issues. Leaving the rest for the end of day. Prioritize, Analyzed and Audited Long Term Disability request to ensure process meets deadline. My co-workers was very cooperative. I would address a situation where a feature of the process of a task could be eliminated. My supervisor was very proactive in the sense that she would quickly come up with a solution that save time and increase productivity.

The hardest part of the job was the repetition of Auditing.

The most enjoyable part of the job, was sending out accurate and professional documents and meeting the deadline which gived me a sense of accomplishment.
Pros
Free Lunches, Gift Cards, Free Events-e.g.Golfing
Cons
Support when staff is sick or on Vacation
Poor IT department
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  60 Columbia WaySeptember 15, 2016
Very poor IT department. Team leads are terrible to deal with, condescending, 'I know more than you' attitude. Senior developers get angry when you ask them anything. Meetings, meetings and just more meetings, meetings are scheduled at will for the most mundane things without regard to one's schedule and work load. You are actually supposed to 'ask around' for clarification when when you do you will be blamed 'you ask too much'. IT head has a poor and humiliating way to communicate with people under him. For some odd reason the IT head is thinks he is running Google, he is oblivious to the needs of his developers. The product itself is poorly written, maintained and there is no way to run it in the development environment. Most of the time I was just guessing on what needs to be done. The QA department thinks they have done a great thing by developing archaic testing framework, nobody told them about Selenium. My strong advice is to stay far far away from this company as possible. They will waste your time and ruin your career.
Pros
Cons
Everything including the silly company name. Change it!!
Those who can't do, teach.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 14, 2016
Shepell has to be one of the most toxic work environments I have ever worked in. They monitor your work to the second (I once had 8 seconds that were "unaccounted for" and I had to justify that to my supervisor). They claim to be there to help clients during difficult times but in the background you are pushed to get this distressed person off the phone as quickly as possible while sending them as many useless packages as possible so Shepell can over bill the company for the services you are providing. The caring environment that they promote is a front for this empty shell of a profit driven company
great career starting point
Pension Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 5, 2016
Amazing place to get started learning about the industry, however work/life balance isn't the greatest. Upper management is all about the bottom line, trying to make teams get by with fewer resources for as long as possible.
Friendly Atmosphere
Senior Pension Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 22, 2016
Morneau Shepell was an excellent environment where I learned and grew in the financial industry. The staffs vwere very nice and helping. Enjoyed learning their internal software such as Ariel View. From having barely any experience in the pension industry to becoming a senior analyst will definitely be one of my lifelong learned experience and knowledge that I will cherish and continue to thrive on. I will always be grateful for everything I learned there.
Manager, Quality Assurance, (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 17, 2016
Great place to work. Great people to work with and for.
Excellent work life balance and supportive management. Would have stayed with the company indefinitely if not for relocation desire
Don't practice what they preach
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Montreal, QcJuly 5, 2016
Unethical practices regarding sales.
Highly micro managed environment.
Use of pressure and intimidation tactics.
Low wages.
Target young and eager employees and attempt to charm them with lots of flashy looking things, just as they do with their clients.
When you take a closer look, you realize they're just a great looking empty suit.
Pros
Sharks in business
Cons
Poor management practices
Morneau offers lots of experience and career growth
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 11, 2016
Great place to work. Great people to work with. Team atmosphere where everybody is willing to go the extra mile. The bad part is that you can work lots of extra hours unpaid. The best part is that the job is flexible time and you can sometime work from home. Salaries are lower than the competitors.
Managers in this company are Gods who are never questioned. Management have no people skills and no value for the employees.
could be better
Sales Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 31, 2016
Upper management needs to be improved, they do not listen to their staff's opinion for improvements. Work life balance is great and the company is very understanding and flexible. The benefits are good, but the compensations and advancement opportunities are limited
Pros
Great benefits, ability to work from home
Cons
under paid and little room to advance
Retirement Consultant
Consultant (Former Employee) –  TorontoNovember 19, 2014
My job description was nothing close to the role. There is no support for employees. Compensation is lacking and is all over the place from employee to employee. Alan Torrie and Bill Morneau are not competent leaders and the employee engagement reflects this. There's been too much growth through acquisition. I'm surprised they have so much HR consulting for other companies when they lack the policies and processes in house. Every department is short staffed and it appears to be a company strategy to save money. Great for shareholders, bad for employee morale. Senior management thinks it's great that Morneau Shepell employees are huge users of the EFAP. So sad.
Pros
my co-workers were nice. free coffee!
Cons
long hours, low pay, management lacks competence.
Good learner
Informatica ETL Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 15, 2016
They provide different IT solutions and services working here will help me to gain knowledge and to built my career.The work environment of the company is very good. People feel proud to be part of the company.
Career Advancement
Client Manager - Operations Health & Welfare (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 15, 2016
Morneau Shepell is great Canadian company to work; great culture. However the gaps at Morneau Shepell is the opportunities. I find that there is no room for growth.
Productive workplace
Call Centre Agent (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 9, 2016
Good company to work for. Salary is low for the type of work being performed in 2 languages. The call center is in the process of being reorganized but it is a slow process.
Engaged leaders and passionate teams
Project Lead (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 12, 2016
- Structured management
- Room for advancement
- Fun, interactive culture
- Corporate goals that aim toward greater good
Nice and helpfull co-workers
Client Manager/Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 9, 2016
Looking for a better opportunity. Better compensation. More organized company. Looking for better promotion opportunities.
Pros
NICE COWORKERS
Cons
SYSTEM DOWNS
Pension
Pension (Former Employee) –  TorontoAugust 31, 2012
Worked for this company as a pension analyst and to be honest, you never do what your paid to do. They expect you to answer calls from members even though they have a call centre. They also expect you to do admin duties such as photocopying member statements, communication, etc and have you manually stuff envelopes.
Management is not very responsive to employee concerns. They tend to turn their backs and pretend they're going to do something about it. They seem to be reluctant to let go of the "bad apples" and instead have the good workers leave on them.
Pros
people are great, various other areas to grow
Cons
do way too much for the salary they pay, management not supportive
Too much OT
Mid management role (Former Employee) –  Don MillsFebruary 22, 2013
Nice offices, nice location, there is flexibility in your work day but there is an expectation to work overtime, a lot of overtime, for which you are not paid. Senior management makes commitments to clients with no thought as to how it will be accomplished and it is left to the staff to get it done by the time they promised. I worked with a great team but it was not uncommon for people to be working 60-70 hour weeks. When you break down the compensation to the hours put in it's pretty bad.
Pros
good location
Cons
long hours with no pay
okay
Disability Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 10, 2016
okay but not great. maybe just in the wrong department. Could probably hire better managers who knows what they're doing.

2.9