Morneau Shepell Employee Reviews in Canada

Low wage, questionnable management
Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 24, 2016
the salary is lower than everywhere else, the company doesn't care about its employees development. you need to be buddy with your boss to get a promotion because the annual evaluation is a joke. the annual pay raise is extremely low as they try to convince you that it is because the company had a bad financial year. lack of leadership by the management.

don't waste your time there!
Boring work, low salary, great team
Adjoint Actuariel (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCJanuary 1, 2016
As a junior actuarial analyst most of my tasks were paper work, no maths involved. I learnt about the pension laws in Quebec... My co workers were all very nice, many team bonding events are paid by the employer.

The working hours were reasonable, a bit of overtime close to key dates.
Pros
nice work place, free coffee
Cons
low salary, boring job
great career starting point
Pension Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 5, 2016
Amazing place to get started learning about the industry, however work/life balance isn't the greatest. Upper management is all about the bottom line, trying to make teams get by with fewer resources for as long as possible.
Manager, Quality Assurance, (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 17, 2016
Great place to work. Great people to work with and for.
Excellent work life balance and supportive management. Would have stayed with the company indefinitely if not for relocation desire
Morneau offers lots of experience and career growth
IT Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 11, 2016
Great place to work. Great people to work with. Team atmosphere where everybody is willing to go the extra mile. The bad part is that you can work lots of extra hours unpaid. The best part is that the job is flexible time and you can sometime work from home. Salaries are lower than the competitors.
Managers in this company are Gods who are never questioned. Management have no people skills and no value for the employees.
Retirement Consultant
Consultant (Former Employee) –  TorontoNovember 19, 2014
My job description was nothing close to the role. There is no support for employees. Compensation is lacking and is all over the place from employee to employee. Alan Torrie and Bill Morneau are not competent leaders and the employee engagement reflects this. There's been too much growth through acquisition. I'm surprised they have so much HR consulting for other companies when they lack the policies and processes in house. Every department is short staffed and it appears to be a company strategy to save money. Great for shareholders, bad for employee morale. Senior management thinks it's great that Morneau Shepell employees are huge users of the EFAP. So sad.
Pros
my co-workers were nice. free coffee!
Cons
long hours, low pay, management lacks competence.
could be better
Sales Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 31, 2016
Upper management needs to be improved, they do not listen to their staff's opinion for improvements. Work life balance is great and the company is very understanding and flexible. The benefits are good, but the compensations and advancement opportunities are limited
Pros
Great benefits, ability to work from home
Cons
under paid and little room to advance
Clinical
clinical (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 29, 2015
BWhat is happening is that the company became robotic. The last people they care about is the client. But make the counsellor do the work which is not valued. Counsellors are paid very little and most burn out. Quality is a joke as long as you achieve the volume expected. Watch for the coworkers they will stab you.
Pros
Get experience
Cons
Burn out
okay
Disability Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BCMay 10, 2016
okay but not great. maybe just in the wrong department. Could probably hire better managers who knows what they're doing.
Pension
Pension (Former Employee) –  TorontoAugust 31, 2012
Worked for this company as a pension analyst and to be honest, you never do what your paid to do. They expect you to answer calls from members even though they have a call centre. They also expect you to do admin duties such as photocopying member statements, communication, etc and have you manually stuff envelopes.
Management is not very responsive to employee concerns. They tend to turn their backs and pretend they're going to do something about it. They seem to be reluctant to let go of the "bad apples" and instead have the good workers leave on them.
Pros
people are great, various other areas to grow
Cons
do way too much for the salary they pay, management not supportive
Too much OT
Mid management role (Former Employee) –  Don MillsFebruary 22, 2013
Nice offices, nice location, there is flexibility in your work day but there is an expectation to work overtime, a lot of overtime, for which you are not paid. Senior management makes commitments to clients with no thought as to how it will be accomplished and it is left to the staff to get it done by the time they promised. I worked with a great team but it was not uncommon for people to be working 60-70 hour weeks. When you break down the compensation to the hours put in it's pretty bad.
Pros
good location
Cons
long hours with no pay

Comment – February 25, 2013

AGREE 100% the company loves to pile on work but do not want to compensate you for your hard work.

It was a good place to work, learned a lot from my previous Managers and colleagues. I was a good team player.
Senior Payroll Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioOctober 15, 2012
It was a very busy working environment.
I learned how to administer Pension Benefits, balancing the JE
I was doing the role of team leader in the absence of the Payroll Manager.
It was a great team. we all pulled together in order to meet the payroll deadline.
Year End is usually the hardest part of the job because I had to coordinate regular payroll with YE adjustment and reconciliations.
Dealing each day with the clients, employees or Partners. Be able to assist and resolve any payroll inquires.
Pros
great values, treat other as you wanted to be treated
Cons
long hrs.
Good Job
Disability Management Consultant for Scotia Bank (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 3, 2015
Unable to complete the required work within a working day. At the present moment, working as a case manager is not the best employment opportunity at Morneau Shepell
Average company
Financial Analyst - Bilingual (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 12, 2014
*Average Company
*Low compensation with very little increase
*Management do not treat you like an adult
*The tasks did not match the original job description. I found myself doing call center and being hooked to the phone all day long.
*Do not recommend this company
very supportive work environment
Disability Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCSeptember 30, 2015
I felt supported in all aspects of my position. I was able to discuss - border line - claims with supervisor. I was able to gain access to my supervisor at all times
Pros
after work events
Worked alongside great colleagues
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 22, 2015
Looked forward to going to work on a daily basis as colleagues were friendly. Learned a lot about the products and services offered by the company and they always encouraged engagement.
Toxic Environment
Manager (Former Employee) –  895 Don Mills RdJanuary 22, 2013
I spent three years with this company at a mid-senior level. There is a severe disconnect throughout the organization.

The culture clash between Morneau (administering pensions and benefits), and Shepell ("work/life balance" services) is astounding, but no one ever seems to acknowledge, or address the inherent differences between the two companies. Yes, they are still two companies, just ask the people of Shepell-fgi.

Anything good that happens at this company is usually taken over by leadership, and they find a way to screw things up because of their petty differences and political sensitivities.

I realize this is a pretty negative review, but look up Morneau Shepell and the words they use when referring to themselves in terms of workplace mental health: "leaders", "pioneers", "part of small group of companies leading the way in Canada". i mean really, that's just too much. I can think of at least a dozen people who have suffered from psychological damage and severe depression because of this toxic environment. I know people who have been bullied and shunned by HR, I know that some bullies are still at the company, while the good people who were tormented have moved on.

Don't be fooled by the fact that this company has "good people". You find good people everywhere you go. It's the leadership you have to watch out for, and the leadership at this company stinks.
Pros
"good people"
Cons
psychologically damaging, poor leadership

Comment – April 15, 2013

Yes and now 2.5 months after terminating over 70 people they have the gall to now start recruiting for these same positions. One is on Indeed.ca today for Disability Case Manager. They should be reported for unethical business practices and should be very ashamed of themselves. This will be reported to the appropriate authorities.

Good team atmosphere
Sr. Benefits Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioMay 18, 2015
The work is detailed and requires keeping current with changes to Benefit rules, legislation and laws. Project work can be demanding but allows for stretching and expanding one's skills and organizing the managing time efficiently. It also allows for collaboration with multidisciplinary teams.
Pros
great team
Cons
extremely long hours
Good entry level job
Client Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONDecember 17, 2012
Good starting point for a recent grad in the social services field. Teaches you a lot about client intake and case management.
Pros
generous social committee-lunches, events, etc + benefits from day 1 of employment.
Cons
high stress, sales/targets
Callous and deceitful
Disability Management (Former Employee) –  MississaugaDecember 6, 2014
I worked for FGI before it merged with shepell.
When it bought out our original company CHC dramatic changes occurred many of them nonsensical. People who had been long time employees were callously terminated. They liked playing the good cop / bad cop game whereby one would be "coaching" and the other terminating without any warning.
Expectations are unrealistic. If you have any compassion or empathy for your clients you are expected to put that aside. If not, you will be forced to quit or be fired. Beware kind folks!
Pros
some flexibility on time
Cons
ruthless management.