Morgan Stanley

Morgan Stanley Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
n/a
Project Manager-Investment Products Development (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 23, 2014
prefer no to disclose on a webpage.Please feel freee to contact me with any questions.
Too large and to many issues after merger
Senior Registered Associate (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 22, 2014
I work for a financial advisor that manages $1B in assets. A typical day consists of heavy phone coverage and responding to client requests, such as transferring securities between accounts, wiring funds, and sending checks. I prepare/complete client forms and work with the advisor and staff (two other advisors, a second CFP in addition to the primary – more... advisor, and two CFAs) determining strategies for clients funds and situations. We take clients through a rigorous financial planning process that covers all areas of life, including insurance, annuities, long term care, lending, wills, estate planning, retirement planning, and philanthropic strategies. I open accounts, establish them on management (on our discretionary platform where we 100% manage the funds and with 3rd party money managers), prepare research and performance reports for client meetings, and countless other similar tasks.

I originally started with this company when it was Smith Barney. It was a nice place to work with a family environment. Since the merger with Morgan Stanley and subsequent conversion to the newly created platform from the legacy Smith Barney platform, the firm has been an incredibly difficult place to work. Without overly going into detail, the entire culture of the firm was destroyed and turned into an enormous, sterile atmosphere. You cannot compete simple tasks nor can you get help when you actually need it. It’s truly depressing to see people constantly leave for greener pastures (basically anywhere not named Morgan Stanley), and to have difficulty completing the simplest of tasks.

I’m a great associate, but after 5 years in my current role, I’m throwing in the towel with the firm. For a company that claims it’s completely for people growing and moving up, it’s interesting that not anyone actually can move up. I’ve been trying for over a year to switch departments because I am looking for a change, and the only people that fill the positions are people already in those departments, or new people to the firm. That was admitted to me first hand by my Human Resources representative. I can no longer work for a company that does not actually care about its employees, nor will it actually listen to them. – less
Problem solver.
Service Associate (Current Employee), Salt Lake City, UTApril 21, 2014
Pros: wide range of in depth tasks.
Cons: compentation
Morgan Stanley is a fast paced work environment. On any day I would; approve all money movement coming in and out of the firm, assist the financial advisors, and ensure a smooth work flow.
A great work environment
Equity Operational Associate, Trade Support Group (Current Employee), MumbaiApril 17, 2014
Great place to work at.

Looking to work with some international brand in London.
Fun place to work
Client Service Associate (Former Employee), Clearwater, FLApril 16, 2014
Pros: good job for long-term commitment.
Cons: low pay, minimal raises.
Working in my MS branch office was like working with family. We were all on the same team & liked the company. Chances for
moving up the ladder were slim due to logistics but if you're
willing to relocate the possibilities improve. We had a great manager
who everybody liked, too which made working there more
enjoyable. We were treated fairly & kept – more... in the loop about what
was going on at all times. – less
Equity Structuring
Associate, Equity Structuring and Valuations Desk (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 14, 2014
Pricing, Valuation and Model Risk review of all Equity Structured Products traded by Morgan Stanley in North America
Great management
Sales and Trading Analyst (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 14, 2014
Pros: management has good people
Cons: intellectually unstimulating
Management goes out of their way to protect junior people. Head of institutional equity cares about the junior people and retaining talent.
Got lot of learning oppurtunities
QA Analyst (Former Employee), Hong Kong, HKIApril 13, 2014
A day at work some times easy and some times very busy day. Learned how to react to situations during any outage or issues. My team mates and managers are very helpful, month end Friday evenings are always fun day.
Morgan Stanley
Help Desk Support Technician III Contractor (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 11, 2014
Face pace working environment,there is no micro-management this is not recommended for entry-level workers.
Intern Beijing, China (Former Employee), 北京市, C22April 10, 2014
In Investment Banking Department, there's a lot to do and to learn. It is a great place to work, nice co-worker, nice office, nice job
Great firm
Private Wealth Advisor (Current Employee), Houston, TXApril 10, 2014
Enjoy working with the employees, clients and for a prestigious Wall Street Firm. The wealth advisory business is lucrative and different from investment banking and corporate finance. I seek to realign my career and apply these skills, and an energy industry expertise as well, back to my former career.
Great career possibility
Morgan Stanley in a Client Service Associate (Former Employee), philadelphia, paApril 9, 2014
Had a great experience with MS, a great company to work for. I covered five Financial Advisors and worked in a extremely fast paced environment. Overall, I had a rewarding and educating experience.
Overall, a nice place to work as long as you are under a good manager
Senior Manager - Finance Americas BCP Coordinator (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 9, 2014
Pros: very intelligent people; colleagues are very down to earth and professional
Cons: a number of managers lack people skills
Morgan Stanley is a solid company overall with many intelligent people. One must be careful about the manager they report into or life there can be very difficult.
Great work life balance
Senior manager (Current Employee), New York NYApril 7, 2014
Great place to work with lots of potential for growth. There are a lot of new initiatives and projects in works which gives a vast array of people opportunity to develop and progress in there careers
Test Lead (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 4, 2014
Challenging Environment to work and learn more.
My Learning curve has improved
Fast paced, fulfilling and lucrative
Associate Vice President (Former Employee), Hayward, CAApril 3, 2014
- Typical day at work is prospect, appointment, service, and research
- I learned about people and their relationship with their money
- Management was great, listening to ideas and implementing plans, very supportive
- My co-workers were all very professional and very focused
- Hardest part of the job was not enough time to do research
- The most enjoyable – more... part of the job is seeing that you and your clients have achieved their goals – less
Elite/Prestigous Company
Stock Analyst/Listed Derivatives (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 3, 2014
Pros: fortune 500 company
Collected data for financial accounts and learned a great deal about the markets. Best professional work environment you could ever ask to be apart of. Very pleasant environment for such a hard working company.
Over Worked Underpaid
Fixed Income Trading Assistant (Current Employee), London/ GlasgowApril 2, 2014
Busy
No training given

No career progression

High Attrition
It was used to be a nice place till they moved offshore
Financial Software Engineer (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 2, 2014
They used to pay well till they shifted focus on offshore offices, since then their compensation is going down a little, no job security since Indians are practically ruling the company, management is getting more and more pathetic so as the Job Culture
Great People and Work Place
OTC Client Clearing - Non Cash Collateral (Current Employee), New York, NYApril 1, 2014
Working in a fast paced environment
Collateral Management
Non Cash Collateral
OTC Derivatives
Equity Swaps
Working with Sales and Trading
Strong Client Relationships

About Morgan Stanley

One of the world's top investment banks, Morgan Stanley serves up a smorgasbord of financial services. The company operates in three primary – Read more