Morgan Stanley

Morgan Stanley Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great hiring and therefore skills but poor IT culture - it's a bank!
Equity Derivatives Project Manager (Former Employee), Hong Kong, HKISeptember 4, 2014
Pros: interesting technical work and business
Cons: difficult co-workers
A great bunch of developers and excellent technical knowledge right up the chain of command. But seemingly no interest in management and no expectation of this within the company culture. This is where investment banking doesn't work with IT. There's too much competition and this precludes team work.
Still, the technology is interesting and so is the – more... business - the frustration is in getting anything really done. It's as if you have to fool the system in order to do so.
I learned a huge amount about structured products and the business rationale for trading them. Improved my knowledge of market risk management. Learned a fair bit of accounting. Learned a number of areas of regulatory aspects to trading.
Generally co-workers were smart and skilled, but competition led some to be difficult to work with - and that was the hardest part of the job.
Getting into technical and business detail on complex products was fascinating and where the different participants could lose themselves in the job and thereby let go of their career anxieties. The result was enjoyable work. – less
New York mentality
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Carmel, INSeptember 3, 2014
Work with clients on the phone. Management is only interested in their own advancement. Some good co-workers. Dealing with the back office. Dealing with good clients.
Competitive workplace
Senior Account Representative (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXSeptember 2, 2014
Pros: free lunch, monthly bonus
Cons: healthcare
Senior Account Rep Hours: 8:30 - 5:30 M-F
Mortgage Servicing
Management: Theory Y
Co-workers: Enjoyable
Dont waste your time
Senior Service Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 29, 2014
Pros: nothing at all
Cons: managers suck, people don't want to follow rules
This company does not care about their long standing employees!
Good Workplace
Report Developer (Current Employee), PuneAugust 27, 2014
good place to work but low salary. Timilng is good and management is helpful
Productive and friendly environment.
Client Service Associate (Former Employee), Brickell Ave. Miami , FLAugust 25, 2014
Pros: excellent benefits, holiday parties and thanksgiving lunchon.
Helped clients and financial advisors resolving issues. It was a great challenge and experience working in this company as well as learned how to manage multitask in a time sensitive situation. The management and co-workers were very cooperative and friendly. The hardest part of the job was when I had to leave the company. The most enjoyable part of – more... the job was when I could provide clients and financial advisors with my help and when issues got resolved. – less
Great coworkers. Tough Job
Financial Advisor, Financial Planning Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 21, 2014
For me its hard to succeed on a commission based job. These days its very difficult to make contacts with all the restrictions on cold calling.
Telemarketing
Stockbroker (Former Employee), Houston, TXAugust 20, 2014
Pros: occasional free food during call nights or from product salesmen
Cons: you succeeded if you made the right call to the right person
On the phone, call, call, call. Could only sell product that the company was pushing. If you sold anything else you had to explain your actions
fast paced environment
Registered Client Service Associate (Former Employee), Denver COAugust 19, 2014
handled client calls and FA's needs. Overbearing management after merger
Rigorous workplace
Capital Markets (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 15, 2014
Pros: lots of deals, exciting work
Cons: short breaks, no lunch break, long hours, weekend work, zero work life balance
Excellent deal flow, steep learning curve. Zero work-life balance, understaffed teams.
Great company, poor management, not enough learning experience
Analyst (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 15, 2014
Morgan Stanley is an outstanding company. However, there is very little learning within the group (mine in particular and we have had a mass exodus),there are few opportunities to move forward within, unless you move externally which can give you a 15-20% raise. Co-workers can be childish and management picks their favorites and promotes them, even – more... though they may not be doing the same amount of work.

As a company, I think there are many opportunities to get a head start, especially for someone out of college or switching careeres. Benefits are good. I think it really depends on which group you are working with as all of them differ substantially. – less
Intern
Financial Advisor Internship (Former Employee), Scottsdale, AZAugust 15, 2014
It was ok, typical intern duties, faxing, copying, data entry, cold calling.
n/a
ops (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 14, 2014
Nice place to work, Nice people.
Good work enviroment
Mangement is good
Daily Schedule
Financial Advisor Associate (Current Employee), Brea, CAAugust 13, 2014
Pros: enjoy corporate camradarie
Cons: this is a sales job & i would like to build out my technical skill-set and advance professionally
I am constantly on the phone with prospects, clients, and senior management.
During the merger transition it was challenging
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Asheville, NCAugust 12, 2014
Morgan Stanley was in significant transition at the time I worked there. This was for a short period of time and I would not think the challenges of the environment are typical and still present.
Challenging Position
Smith Barney-Vice President Financial Advisor (Former Employee), westlake, OhioAugust 12, 2014
Pros: compensation
Cons: new management
Compensation was good. I enjoyed the people I worked with. The industry changed with regulations.
Productive, strong team oriented culture
WS DEVELOPMENT (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 11, 2014
Mostly I work with my team as a student consultant. We enjoyed learning the very detailed development and planning knowledge in the US market. Days can be miserable sometimes when closing deadline is approaching.
Great Place to work at, family 1st
Loss Mitigation Specialist (Former Employee), Fort Worth, TXAugust 9, 2014
Pros: healthcare and people
Loved going to work there everyday, management was awesome and down to earth. We worked hard and were appreciated. My co-workers were the best because we were like family and very close. Hardest part of job was when we talked to customers that were about to lose their home and they got emotional and we felt for them. Benefits were amazing and they believed – more... in family first all the way. Most favorite part was when we would have themes at work and just had fun but always made sure work was done. – less
Great place to work with friendly colleague
Prime Brokerage Margin Analyst (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 7, 2014
Pros: free coffee and tea
Cons: stessful sometime with all the deadline.
Very nice working environment, have all the training and tools to get the job done efficiently. Always looking for new ideas and technologies to reduce work volume and error.
MS Research is an awesome place to work
Product Owner/Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 7, 2014
MS tech is an awesome place to work
Technology platform are cutting edge
MS tech are industry leaders in finance

About Morgan Stanley

One of the world's top investment banks, Morgan Stanley serves up a smorgasbord of financial services. The company operates in three primary – Read more

Morgan Stanley Photos