Morgan Stanley Employee Reviews

Director - Operations Risk and Control (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, ON31 August 2014
I have worked for Morgan Stanley for almost 11 years and have been given many opportunities to advance my career through the excellent mobility opportunities that they offer. I have had the unique opportunity to not only work across divisions but also across regional jurisdictions. I was given the opportunity to work in the New York head office for 13 months which allowed me to advance my skill set and experience a new city and culture.
Pros
Excellent mobility opportunities, good benefit package.
Cons
Less focus given to achieving a good work-life balance.
Day to day work
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS11 June 2014
I monitored alerts through netcool monitoring systems. I created and run autosys job scheduler. I also created and run different shell scripts in UNIX/LINUX environment. I also queried in MySQL.
Benefits and salary aren't great
Senior Developer (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QC23 April 2014
Not very trendy with latest technologies. Lots of in-house proprietary software no one else uses in industry, lots of obsolete software to maintain.
Company still requires a dress code even for IT office.
Benefits and perks are behind compared to other tech companies in Montreal.
What's good?
Great co-workers, lots of smart and enjoyable people, employees are very diverse and multi-cultural. Opportunity to travel and work with co-works across globe. Good for people to start their career and peak at the world beyond the province.
Pros
work from home, 6% RRSP matching
Cons
Salary, perks
Productive and fun place
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC14 November 2013
Its a productive and fun place to work. A typical day starts from 9 to 6pm.
Pros
Nice place
Cons
Great Place to start a career
Associate (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QC14 June 2013
One of the very few places to start a career in the IT industry. Very professional environment and very good management.
Volunteer experience
Volunteer Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 May 2013
Morgan Stanley has a multitude of experience programmers at it hands. The projects we were tasked with was ambitious but achievable. They provided excellent guidance and theoretical training and were always available for questions.
A lot to learn
Senior Business Manager (contract) (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QC7 April 2013
I am an integral part of the team where formally I am the lead in the Capital Management space where I perform all the functions that I have described in the resume. However, on the side I am also involved in the Resource Management space where I assist my colleague with auditing any new consultants that have been hired in the wrong bracket based on the new governance that is being developed and implemented in house. Moreover, we also raise tickets and approve tickets for new resources - only consultants - once we have completed our due diligence. On the other hand, I speak with the foreign exchange desk and the Treasury department for questions relating to foreign exchange risk if there is a project that will heavily invest in a currency other than US dollars and to see if we are able to minimize the risk in case the dollar drops in relation to the other currency in question. I also socialize ideas on Business Management calls and seek feedback on pain points regarding getting projects approved. I work with teams that are looking to raise new spend requests and explain to them the workflow involved in getting an approval and why their spend request has been sent back. Moreover, I am also putting all best practices, documents that I have created on SharePoint and am currently in the process of putting the the approval process for both the Capital Management space and Resource Management space so we can get all approvals at a central place while eliminating the need for sending emails back and forth and giving full transparency to all stake holders.
Pros
there is so much to learn, its teaching me how to handle two tasks that are completely different, its teaching me how to switch back and forth while paying attention to detail in each task at hand
Cons
i can't find any. the hours are long but its very fulfilling
Not Very Productive Environment
Infrastructure Engineer (Former Employee) –  Montreal QC17 January 2013
Lots of politics, Very good Co-workers, Management kinda sucks, Not very trendy with technologies
Pros
work from home
Cons
slow moving company
Excellent place to learn and start a young career
Associate, Investment Banking Division (Current Employee) –  London25 June 2012
Top notch firm with extremely talented people and a very warm and welcoming culture of teamwork