Morgan Stanley Employee Reviews in Canada

Excellent place to work
Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCAugust 10, 2016
May have long working hours.
Great company culture.
Excellent volunteer opportunity.
Some work might be outsourced.
fun place
consultant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJuly 19, 2016
good work environnment and work/life balance
good culture
I enjoyed working there. Brilliant minds and learned alot from my peers expertise.
Always learning something new
Deployment Engineer
Senior Network Technical Consultant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NSMay 24, 2016
It is a good organization.
As it is in Banking sector, we need to take so many precautions before implementing any change and follow set of rules an procedures to minimize the Business Impacts.
Excellent Work experience
Level 3 Support / SME (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCDecember 12, 2015
It is an excellent experience to be a part of one of the leading investment banking firm. Job is challenging and worth the effort.
Excelent company
Database Developer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 17, 2015
Very professional and flexible environment, great team and perfect to learn new skills and share experiences. Last technology.
Great people
Summer Analyst (Current Employee) –  WilliamsburgSeptember 16, 2015
Great place to work, lovely and cooperative people with ample of learning opportunities
I really had a wonderful experience with them
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCSeptember 11, 2015
great technology infrastructure (definitely missed it after leaving for a smaller company) - many people with lots of technical experience that are more than willing to answer questions and help out! - excellent training program for new grads (this is really a great experience and you get to meet and work with people from around the world) - related to previous point: the company is massive and it's exciting working
Consultants are not well integrated into the team
Lead Consultant (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCJune 1, 2015
Consultants are not very well integrated into the team.
Technologically good.
Good work life balance.
Location is not attractive.
Good Place to work
Associate (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QCApril 3, 2015
People are very talented and helpful. Great learning experience and usually the work is challenging. Had a chance to work with diverse people around the world.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Long work hours & some times week end work
Very good company
Consultant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMarch 15, 2015
The team was very good.
People were very friendly.
Located downtown, close to everything.
The building is nice.
International team, no hostility towards non-French speakers.
The environment however is noisy (at some places), people who have to talk and call each other as part of their jobs should not be placed near software developers who need a more quiet environment to think and write software.
Also, too much restrictions on everything (for security reasons). Not possible to download and install your favorite software tools, not even those open source and free ones.
Pros
salary, location.
Cons
noisy working place.
good paymaster
Sr. Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCFebruary 23, 2015
excellent work culture and best of technologies to work on. Some of best mind and great people to work with. global environment
Director - Operations Risk and Control (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, ONAugust 31, 2014
I have worked for Morgan Stanley for almost 11 years and have been given many opportunities to advance my career through the excellent mobility opportunities that they offer. I have had the unique opportunity to not only work across divisions but also across regional jurisdictions. I was given the opportunity to work in the New York head office for 13 months which allowed me to advance my skill set and experience a new city and culture.
Pros
excellent mobility opportunities, good benefit package.
Cons
less focus given to achieving a good work-life balance.
Day to day work
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NSJune 11, 2014
I monitored alerts through netcool monitoring systems. I created and run autosys job scheduler. I also created and run different shell scripts in UNIX/LINUX environment. I also queried in MySQL.
Benefits and salary aren't great
Senior Developer (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QCApril 23, 2014
Not very trendy with latest technologies. Lots of in-house proprietary software no one else uses in industry, lots of obsolete software to maintain.
Company still requires a dress code even for IT office.
Benefits and perks are behind compared to other tech companies in Montreal.
What's good?
Great co-workers, lots of smart and enjoyable people, employees are very diverse and multi-cultural. Opportunity to travel and work with co-works across globe. Good for people to start their career and peak at the world beyond the province.
Pros
work from home, 6% rrsp matching
Cons
salary, perks
Productive and fun place
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCNovember 14, 2013
Its a productive and fun place to work. A typical day starts from 9 to 6pm.
Pros
nice place
MSDW
Junior Analyst I (Former Employee) –  London UKSeptember 27, 2013
see previous section - I worked for MSDW both in London and Milan and acquired solid foundations in finance/admin which I could then apply in my subsequent jobs
Great Place to start a career
Associate (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QCJune 14, 2013
One of the very few places to start a career in the IT industry. Very professional environment and very good management.
Volunteer experience
Volunteer Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QCMay 7, 2013
Morgan Stanley has a multitude of experience programmers at it hands. The projects we were tasked with was ambitious but achievable. They provided excellent guidance and theoretical training and were always available for questions.
A lot to learn
Senior Business Manager (contract) (Current Employee) –  Montreal, QCApril 7, 2013
I am an integral part of the team where formally I am the lead in the Capital Management space where I perform all the functions that I have described in the resume. However, on the side I am also involved in the Resource Management space where I assist my colleague with auditing any new consultants that have been hired in the wrong bracket based on the new governance that is being developed and implemented in house. Moreover, we also raise tickets and approve tickets for new resources - only consultants - once we have completed our due diligence. On the other hand, I speak with the foreign exchange desk and the Treasury department for questions relating to foreign exchange risk if there is a project that will heavily invest in a currency other than US dollars and to see if we are able to minimize the risk in case the dollar drops in relation to the other currency in question. I also socialize ideas on Business Management calls and seek feedback on pain points regarding getting projects approved. I work with teams that are looking to raise new spend requests and explain to them the workflow involved in getting an approval and why their spend request has been sent back. Moreover, I am also putting all best practices, documents that I have created on SharePoint and am currently in the process of putting the the approval process for both the Capital Management space and Resource Management space so we can get all approvals at a central place while eliminating the need for sending emails back and forth and giving full transparency to all stake holders.
Pros
there is so much to learn, its teaching me how to handle two tasks that are completely different, its teaching me how to switch back and forth while paying attention to detail in each task at hand
Cons
i can't find any. the hours are long but its very fulfilling
Not Very Productive Environment
Infrastructure Engineer (Former Employee) –  Montreal QCJanuary 17, 2013
Lots of politics, Very good Co-workers, Management kinda sucks, Not very trendy with technologies
Pros
work from home
Cons
slow moving company