Morgan Stanley

Morgan Stanley Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Director - Operations Risk and Control (Current Employee), Glasgow, ONAugust 31, 2014
Pros: excellent mobility opportunities, good benefit package.
Cons: less focus given to achieving a good work-life balance.
I have worked for Morgan Stanley for almost 11 years and have been given many opportunities to advance my career through the excellent mobility opportunities that they offer. I have had the unique opportunity to not only work across divisions but also across regional jurisdictions. I was given the opportunity to work in the New York head office for 13 months which allowed me to advance my skill set and experience a new city and culture.
Day to day work
IT Consultant (Former Employee), Halifax, NSJune 11, 2014
I monitored alerts through netcool monitoring systems. I created and run autosys job scheduler. I also created and run different shell scripts in UNIX/LINUX environment. I also queried in MySQL.
Benefits and salary aren't great
Senior Developer (Current Employee), Montreal, QCApril 23, 2014
Pros: work from home, 6% rrsp matching
Cons: salary, perks
Not very trendy with latest technologies. Lots of in-house proprietary software no one else uses in industry, lots of obsolete software to maintain.
Company still requires a dress code even for IT office.
Benefits and perks are behind compared to other tech companies in Montreal.
What's good?
Great co-workers, lots of smart and enjoyable people, employees are very diverse and multi-cultural. Opportunity to travel and work with co-works across globe. Good for people to start their career and peak at the world beyond the province.
Productive and fun place
Consultant (Former Employee), Montréal, QCNovember 14, 2013
Pros: nice place
Its a productive and fun place to work. A typical day starts from 9 to 6pm.
Volunteer experience
Volunteer Software Developer (Former Employee), Montréal, QCMay 7, 2013
Morgan Stanley has a multitude of experience programmers at it hands. The projects we were tasked with was ambitious but achievable. They provided excellent guidance and theoretical training and were always available for questions.
A lot to learn
Senior Business Manager (contract) (Current Employee), Montreal, QCApril 7, 2013
Pros: there is so much to learn, its teaching me how to handle two tasks that are completely different, its teaching me how to switch back and forth while paying attention to detail in each task at hand
Cons: i can't find any. the hours are long but its very fulfilling
I am an integral part of the team where formally I am the lead in the Capital Management space where I perform all the functions that I have described in the resume. However, on the side I am also involved in the Resource Management space where I assist my colleague with auditing any new consultants that have been hired in the wrong bracket based on the new governance that is being developed and implemented in house. Moreover, we also raise tickets and approve tickets for new resources - only consultants - once we have completed our due diligence. On the other hand, I speak with the foreign exchange desk and the Treasury department for questions relating to foreign exchange risk if there is a project that will heavily invest in a currency other than US dollars and to see if we are able to minimize the risk in case the dollar drops in relation to the other currency in question. I also socialize ideas on Business Management calls and seek feedback on pain points regarding getting projects approved. I work with teams that are looking to raise new spend requests and explain to them the workflow involved in getting an approval and why their spend request has been sent back. Moreover, I am also putting all best practices, documents that I have created on SharePoint and am currently in the process of putting the the approval process for both the Capital Management space and Resource Management space so we can get all approvals at a central place while eliminating the need for sending emails back and forth and giving full transparency to all stake holders.
Not Very Productive Environment
Infrastructure Engineer (Former Employee), Montreal QCJanuary 17, 2013
Pros: work from home
Cons: slow moving company
Lots of politics, Very good Co-workers, Management kinda sucks, Not very trendy with technologies
Good opportunities in Risk
Vice President (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: professional work colleagues
Cons: should seek more opportunities to increase work life balance
Good opportunities in Risk, and other cross functional areas.
Great Place to Work
Registered Associate (Current Employee), Roseville, CAJanuary 25, 2015
My typical day consists of greeting and communicating with clients and prospects and assisting my Financial Advisor with tasks she needs completed, including: paperwork and inputting of information, portfolio/account analysis and review, coordination of events, and placing of trades as requested. I thoroughly enjoy my time here because of all the opportunities I have had to learn and grow in the financial industry. Also, the colleagues I get to interact with on a daily basis are great; they are always working together to assist and teach each other those things which they may be more sufficient at.
Good learning
Senior Developer - Mainframe (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 21, 2015
Had experience on wealth management and had couple of certifications.
Loved it
Work Experience (Former Employee), London, ENGJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: environment, people, the job
Cons: no cons
This was the best work experience I did. I had so much fun and it acutally made me want to become a Research Analyst. It gave me an overview of the whole company, and was one of the main reasons why I wanted to geta job there.
Unlucky Timing
Financial Advisor (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: beautiful office location
Cons: lack of leadership
I joined the advisor training program at Morgan Stanley in January of 2007. I chose Morgan Stanley because of the mentor that would train me. My mentor left the firm the week I passed my series 7, followed by my branch manager. Circumstances led to no leadership/guidance as a new advisor.
Good company, great co-workers, excellent salary/benefits
Field Marketing Manager (Current Employee), Purchase, NYJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: salary, co-workers, onsite amenities
Good company, great co-workers, excellent salary/benefits
EXCELLENT COMPANY AND WELL RESPECTED
INTERN (Former Employee), Great Neck, NYJanuary 21, 2015
Everyone seems to enjoy it here and has the right balance between fun and productivity. If you want to enjoy your life, working here is a good place to start. I quickly learned how to adapt in a results-driven environment. Every single employee is willing to help and extend their expertise. Even as the company expands rapidly, the atmosphere is fun and exciting.
Morgan Stanley was a great opportunity for advancement.
Manager - Processing & Document Control (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: great work environment
Cons: turnover for operations team
I was with Morgan Stanley for 25 years and enjoyed the culture and the opportunities for advancement. I started as a Receptionist and left as an Operations Manager.
Good place to start your career
Associate/Section Head (Former Employee), Jersey City, New JerseyJanuary 16, 2015
Overall enjoyable place to work, and was a good place to enter into the financial world. The benefits were surprisingly great, I did not expect to be able to start with 4 weeks vacation.
Good company to work
Associate (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 13, 2015
Great work culture. Good team to work and learn . Great work life balance.
experience working at Morgan Stanley
Information Technology Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYJanuary 9, 2015
My stay At Morgan Stanley was great,I was responsible in making various incident and DSS branch reports with the help of service now.
advance excel skills was a requirement for the work that i did,overall it was a great experience working at Morgan Stanley.
Productive and High sense of teamwork
Executive Assistant- Institutional Equity Division (Current Employee), New York, NYJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: learning environment and everyone seems the want you to excel in your endevours
Cons: temperary assignment
Started before the market opens, looking over request I may have sent the previous evening. Throughout the day submitting expenses, invoice request, arranging travel, and or arranging conference room meeting for the various groups and managers.

As well as learning the administrative work for various groups (or employees on the west coast), learning about the business also occurred. The management and coworkers are always there to feed knowledge and answer any questions.

Not sure if its the hardest part, but once everyone realized I could handle the work load and was punctual they felt comfortable with me as their admin and we built a bond.

The most enjoyable part is the people. They are a great group of people to work with and they have taught me even more than I knew prior to working in this department .
Highly respectable wealth management department
Business Analyst (Consultant) (Former Employee), New York, NY; Baltimore MDJanuary 9, 2015
A typical day comprised of meetings with the stakeholders, vendors and team to vet details to be included in SRS documents, tech nicad specification documents and so on.

1 2 3 4 5