Moody's Investors Service Employee Reviews

Moody's had a typical "American finance" company culture where associates are granted with more workload. However, I learned and grew a lot.
Associate Analyst (Former Employee) –  Hong KongMay 1, 2015
Moody's has a strong HR/compensation programs which helped employees focus on their work.
Overall I enjoyed working, but I learned there was a high turnover among associates because there weren't much opportunities to be promoted since it had a big management.
Pros
company culture
Cons
no promotion opportunities
can't review
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 6, 2016
have not worked here in long time, co changed a lot. Was not great place when I was there. Long hors and demanind managment team.
Think twice about working here
Vice President, Senior Analyst (Current Employee) –  New Yor, NYJanuary 4, 2015
Senior management sucks big time. Bad initiatives with even worse IT. People are nice, but a real sweat shop. Looking to leave yesterday.
Pros
people, base salary
Cons
everything else
Safe job
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 6, 2014
If you want a stable job with no risk of getting fired or laid off then this is the place. It is also a good company to gather experience and leverage it to move to a better place after a few years.
Pros
dinner and car service after 7:30
Cons
compensation
Working at Moody's
Creative Designer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 9, 2014
Well established, stable company with global presence where financial analysts are well compensated but creatives are paid well below market rates.
Pros
benefits (health insurance, etc), free museum passes
Cons
creatives paid well below market
Becoming more Corporate and less Personal
Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 10, 2015
The company went from having a collegial, affirming work environment to being contentious and back-biting. As corporate revenue mushroomed, staff reshuffling and managerial indifference seemed to increase as well. Management would boast of the company's success and the size of the IT budget, and at the same time be very stingy when it came to training, development tools, and workstations. One thing they did well was to allow for work from home.
I felt that their technology was plagued by indecisiveness and a culture of inertia.
Pros
located in lower manhattan. robust business model.
Cons
penny wise, pound foolish.
Average workplace that started out great but slowly started going south...
Technology Trainer (Current Employee) –  New YorkMay 18, 2012
Moody's started out as being a place that felt almost too good to be true. To start with they made me feel like I was a star employee because I took on things that were outside of my purview. However, when it came to things I did know about and volunteered my opinion on, I was made to feel quite low. They have a hard time improving process and making intelligent management decisions. People who deserve promotions don't get them and they decide to hire external candidates instead of trusted internal employees. I'd say it's average. The co-workers are great, generally speaking. I've made some life long friendships here. There was also a fair amount of travel for my position to places like Singapore, Hong Kong and Tokyo, which was pretty great given that you travel in business class. It was later on that they scrutinized the expense report when there was nothing in the policy that you deviated from. Seemed like a lot of nit-picking after awhile.
Helathy work environment
Asst Manager (Current Employee) –  New yorkMarch 31, 2015
Great working culture and everybody i worked with is amazing. Work life balance is a concern. All the team members and subordinates are very helpful and appreciative.
Average work place. Initiatives taken to advance are not rewarded
Debt Issuer Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 24, 2013
Their pay is on par with the industry averages. Location is very nice. There is security in the building. And you can make good friends.

As far as career advancement is concerned there is none. You could be over qualified for a job and you may take initiative by working on complicated projects but these efforts are not appreciated.

Management is too old fashioned and many managers have been running the show for much too long. Perhaps they need some new blood.
NA
business analyst (Current Employee) –  business analystJuly 27, 2015
I dont want to comment about the company . Please excuse. Not the best environment, people are ok , Company is ok, ok ok. I didnt have any expectations around the company.
Moodys provided the best credit analysis training in the industry.
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2012
Because of Moodys, I was able to advance in the bond credit industry. Their training was well known within the industry. It was because of training that allowed me to venture off to more challenging field of bond insurance. Management was always supportive of analysts and hard work was rewarded with advancements.
Pros
great company environment, recognized hard work and dedication.
Cons
credit analysis was limited within rating agency
intellectually challenging
Senior Rating Analyst (Current Employee) –  DubaiDecember 29, 2014
get information, check it, criticize it and develop an opinion on it. Then discuss it with your team, write about it and publish it.
the source of information is usually the debt issuers, which gives you the opportunity to meet with the top management of large institutions. Meet with media and investors to share your opinions
Pros
intellectually challenging, issuer facing, quality of colleagues
Cons
hierarchical, regulated
Good workplace with solid work/life balance
Lead Financial Data Analyst - Public Finance (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 4, 2013
For the most part, I enjoy working there. My coworkers are great, get along with all of them. Management can tend to be on top of you too much and focus on things that aren't as important (in other words, micromanaging). Hours are usually 9-5, which gives me a good work/life balance.
Challenging work place
Finance Analyst (Former Employee) –  LondonAugust 18, 2013
Whilst at Sir George Monoux we were provided the opportunity to work for companies according to our subjects.
This was an extremely exciting opportunity for me to work for Moody's as a Finance Analyst.

My duties included:
Undertaking a project under corporate finance on syndicated loan ratings which was then investigated and analysed and required data extraction and collation of data; this highlighted an ability of analysis and solving problems.
Production of information on Moody’s performance in EMEA versus their competitors
Compilation of information and data necessary to create market share, competitive and positioning reports.
Assisting in the compilation of the monthly sales activity report using excel functions such as macros.
Filing, archiving & photocopying of invoices, statements and correspondence.
Good training, most people enjoy a good work life balance, orginization and pay is very flat
Associate Analyst, Corporate Finance Group (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 28, 2013
Great credit training and exposure to the market. Company is experiencing alot of regulatory changes. Experiance and hours can very widely depending on the group you work in,
Pros
more laid back than most financial firms. some people enjoy a good work life balance
Cons
pay is below market, very hard to get promoted, extra effort and work is not rewarded, managers are very removed from day to day
Enjoyed working with such great people, they taught me alot.
Senior Product Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 7, 2013
My day would begin with my checking my e-mails and seeing if I had any requests for CD's or print products. I learned how to work on a website and I also learned how to burn CD's with information. I can not say enough kind and wonderful words for my management. They were very understanding of my situation. The hardest part of my job was when I had to work late at night from home and test the website to make sure it was running properly. The most enjoyable part was learning so many new things and being able to apply what I learned to my position.
Productive workplace and exciting learning
Sr. ORACLE DBA (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 4, 2015
Great management team, Provides excellent opportunity to grow independently and motivate people to steer to success.

Best location and great collection of technologies, fast moving in terms of adapting new technologies and implementing in time.
Great Job
Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2014
Generate detailed financial and operational projections via Excel (i.e. revenue per region and product, expenses per headcount, expenses per department and project, capital expenditures)
Prepares and analyzes financial and tax accounts according to prescribed rates, laws, and regulations
Compiles productivity, compliance and profit/loss reports
Quantitative analysis with regression and what-if scenarios
Analyzes records of operations, trends and costs, estimated and realized revenues, administrative commitments, and obligations incurred.
Develops, installs, and maintains reporting systems that provide control of tax expenditures.
Pros
unlimited overtime
Cons
financial debacle
Learned new technologies and communication with business
Developer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 4, 2015
I was part of challenging team and delivered tasks without defects on time. Our team developed and deployed projects to production environment.
So-so company
Associate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 22, 2014
Diverse people and culture. Can be scarce on resources. Long working hours.
Pros
nice people