MONTANA'S RESTAURANT Employee Reviews

fun work place, just had bad working conditions (unsafe)
o Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 April 2017
Very fun job, got along with everybody, all of my companions and work staff/coleagues were really fun and I had an amazing time there, stayed there for 3 years.

Only thing that I didn't like was the fact that, as I would wash dishes, the chemicals that I was using to wash dishes was hurting my hands very badly, those chemicals would ripp the skin off my hands. Other than that everything else was great.
Pros
good pay, good tips, nice fun working environment
Cons
chemicals that would extremely hurt my hands
Fun place to work
Line Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL28 March 2017
Great staff and friendly management, worked as a dishwaser and linecook. Lots of hours and a great learning experience. Fun staff parties where they gave out prizes.
Productive and welcoming workplace
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 March 2017
Good communication and understanding all around, learned a lot about being a line cook and how to work very closely with others, most enjoyable is the people that work there are all trained well and helpful
Enjoyable
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 November 2016
Although working as a hostess, may be a little boring sometimes, the work expereince is great!
There are many people to interact with daily and the staff are amazing !
Pros
Being able to interact
Cons
Nothing to do
the most enjoyable part of the job
Dish Washer (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC21 March 2016
the job was enjoyable because I was always busy with something to do and I slowly improved and became faster and better at my job .the co workers were another benefit in the job every one was very helpfull and worked together all the time.
Pros
the people i met while on shift
Cons
people constantly quiting
The people are what made this job exciting
Supervisor/ opening line cook (Former Employee) –  London, ON11 January 2016
Worked with tons of great people. Learned lots of different cooking techniques and way to prepare different food. Good atmosphere when working on busy nights.
Pros
The people
Energetic and fun environment
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 October 2015
I loved working at Montanas. I have worked there for six years but decided as I was growing into my mid twenties that I should expand my horizons. Bartending was my favourite but I loved to serve families as well. A typical day would start by preforming all my side duties and I started my shift, it was up to me to keep it up throughout the course of my shift. The best part about serving is you and your co workers act as team, you take care of your own tables individually but help each other as well; providing drink refills if needed, running food, cutlery etc. I've learned how to multi-task in an efficient manner and can make even the most displeased guest satisfied upon leaving, which was sometimes the most difficult part of the job. I love the fast pace and interactive style of work that serving provides. I believe I would make a great asset to your team.
Pros
Fun environment
Cons
short hours
Call place
fry cook (Former Employee) –  calgay ab28 February 2015
fun place to be at. Although the money wasnt the greatest. Looking for better opportunities to help me be more financial stable. With that being said i still visit my old place to say hi to people i know.
Pros
cool place
Cons
short on cash
Great place to work!
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB Canada4 February 2015
Everyone in the kitchen worked hard, and very well, together. It was a great team of kind and funny people that managed to keep each others spirits up (often through playful or fun teasing and jokes while maintaining a good speed and efficiency to their work)

I started out working in the dish pits but due to some later physical stresses was able to move easily into a position on the line. I was then taught and trained by a very patient and understanding group of people on how the basic salads and sandwiches were made, eventually getting a small bit of experience with pastas, the grill, and fryers.

Eventually started doing morning prep shifts as well. This was often a much smaller team (2-3 of us in total). I was again taught very well by a patient member of the team on how everything in the kitchen would be prepped for later use.

Easily the most enjoyable aspect of this work experience was the staff. Managers were kind, gave a good amount of hours, and were responsible. Other cooks, dish-pit workers, and prep team members were always reliable, quick, and very kind.
Pros
Great staff, a LOT of hours.
Cons
Somewhat inconsistent hours (5-11PM one day, 9AM-5PM the following day)
Overall Experiance
Associate, dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON16 May 2013
I arrived at work at 5:30 PM, I was always 15 minutes early to prep for work. A typical day at work would be, having 15 minutes prep time to change into work clothing and wash any left over dishes from the night before or the morning shift I washed dishes for customers and cooks in a timely manner. My shift ended at 11 on week days and 12, Thursday to Saturday nights. After my shift has ended I cleaned the sinks and moped the floors after all of the other co workers have left. On week days I would leave around 12- 12:30 depending on the clean up. From Thursday to Saturday I would leave around 1-1:30. When I was leaving I would take out the garbage.
Pros
Time management skills, Prep (arrive early by choice)
Cons
Hours of operation, Did not have consistent hours
Have learned plenty, but want room to grow
Expo/Hostess/Prep/Line Cook, Part-time (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON8 March 2013
I have worked at a Montana's since 2007, it has been a great experience. I've worked at two different locations and worked with different co-workers and managers, and have made great relationships. My job ranged from working either prep, line cook, expo, hostess or server. When working prep I did a lot of recording and weighing and portioning of food and sauces. Working line cook I often organized orders in the heated windows (making sure all orders were ready, checking times, etc), and worked pantry making appetizers and salads. Working expo I organized plates and orders to ensure they left the kitchen correctly and efficiently (right sides, right meals, etc). As a hostess I organized and greeted customers and tables so sections of tables were sat fairly and guests were ensured efficiency. As a server I worked at making guests enjoy their experience at the restaurant by ensuring a friendly and welcoming environment, I helped them make decisions with food and drink orders. Working the different sections of the restaurant has allowed me to learn how to effectively cope with different types of stress and time constraints. I can deal with pressure, and frustration from co-workers and customers alike, as my experiences have led me to learn how to handle both types of stress. The hardest part of my job has been realizing their is little room to grow. I have worked most positions within Montana's restaurant since 2007, and feel it is time I move on. After multiple summers of being promised more or full time hours and having nothing follow through, I am looking to expand my job experience  more... with a new job. I will definitely miss the management an co-workers I have met while working there.  less
Pros
employee discount (20-50%) off food, sometimes free food, great team environment
Cons
no consistency in hours, poor treatment of kitchen staff, no benefits, high stress, low pay
Fun place with great atmosphere
FOH server (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, Canada5 February 2013
This restaurant was in a small town and had a lot of great happy people. It was a learning tool and taught me a lot about customer service.
Good people
HOSTESS (Former Employee) –  BRAMPTON ONTARIO31 May 2012
Work environment was good upbeat and friendly, wish it was full time