Montana's Cookhouse Employee Reviews

Productive and great place to work at with great people.
Hostess/Food Expo (Former Employee) –  Regent Avenue.September 12, 2016
Work was good when it was busy, I learned a lot from there and the co-workers were all so nice and upbeat. I enjoy working in a fast paced enviorment.
Fast paced, friendly environment
Hostess/ Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONAugust 29, 2016
Learned a lot working here the 3 managers are very helpful and understanding when the kitchen would get busy. On a daily work basis I would make sure my station was clean and fully stalked for the dinner rush as the rush came around I would dish out sides and sauces to avoide delay. The hardest thing working as an expoditor would have to be making sure the waitresses get there food out on time so your not sent back food and on overload.
Pros
Discount
Cons
A/c
i really enjoyed being a hostess at montanas
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABAugust 25, 2016
overall the job was pretty good, although they didn't have fairness within the hostesses and they played a lot of favoritism which showed.
Could have been better under different ownership
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABAugust 15, 2016
Owners at my location were unwilling to fund programs and contests to incentivize servers to meet and exceed goals.

As a manager I tried many times to implement contests/prizes for sales goals but both the owners and GM were not receptive to the idea.
Productive and fun environment,
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 14, 2016
I enjoy working at Montana's. The atmosphere is upbeat and energetic. The staff is wonderful and I enjoy watching them interact with the guests. The most enjoyable part of working at Montana's is the camaraderie. The hardest part of the job is the commute.
Overall positive environment and cozy place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONJuly 6, 2016
I enjoyed working at Montana's Cookhouse located in Vaughan, Ontario. The only downfall was the lack of diversity among the staff members, almost all of them were blonde females. A typical day working at Montana's Cookhouse involved being extremely friendly and welcoming to our guests, a requirement in any business I can think of. The management was great, but again very narrow minded when selecting candidates to hire. The hardest part of the job I would say was having to professionally cut people off when working bar shifts. The most enjoyable part of the job would be having a nice crowded restaurant during sporting events and big games (I love working at a fast paced).
Pros
Discounted yummy food
Cons
Driving back home (downtown Toronto) after work
Fun place to work!
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSJune 28, 2016
I worked at Montana's for 3+years. I started as a hostess and worked my way up to serving. When working there, the management was hit or miss... good days and bad days. It was the staff that made it worth staying. The people there are unreal, it was like a big family! I have never worked in a place were everything liked eachother or got along.. and Montana's was like this. Great team work FOH and BOH. The hours weren't the best at times, lots of splits, but again its a restaurant. I would have stayed there for awhile longer if I didn't move away.
Pros
people
it was fun
Dishwasher/prep cook/line cook (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ONJune 15, 2016
i like the employees but not the managers . i would recommend this job to a friend just cause the people are cool and it teaches you about working in a fast pace high stress environment
FUN & Stressful
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 10, 2016
Work is Fun
Love the people I work with
Owners are cheap....do not get new things when needed
Some Managers are snakes & not professional and should not be trusted.
Other managers are extremely nice and professional
CARA should personally take back this restaurant and make it the way it should be
Pros
50% off when working 20% off when not
Cons
stressful environment when it shouldn't have to be.
Excellent work environment, positive co-workers and management.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ONMay 27, 2016
Montana's cookhouse has to be my favorite place that i was employed at. Co-workers and management were excellent, very positive work environment, and customers always left satisfied an full!
Fun, laid-back work environment
Host (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMay 4, 2016
- Repetitive work of taking people to assigned tables, letting them know of any specials
- Long hours standing
- Management was very effective and on top of employee's actions
- The dinner rush was chaotic but we all survived
- Now know the lyrics to the birthday song
- Enjoyed "running" food from the kitchen to the waiting tables
- Learned teamwork and how to balance multiple dishes
Good work atmosphere and friendly people
Kitchen Service Staff (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 2, 2016
It was fun, moved at a fast pace, very friendly staff present, good tips were involved, was a great experience. There were usually lots of customers which was pretty encouraging.
Pros
Discount on meals
Cons
Closing at late hours
Fun Working Environment
Host/Food Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ONApril 24, 2016
Everyone I worked with was amazing, working at a very social restaurant with each individual having a different personality made the overall experience beneficial in terms of teaching me how to get out of my comfort zone. The hardest part was the very fast paced environment.
Pros
Food discount
Cons
Low hours
Fun with good food
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BCApril 8, 2016
Montana's Cookhouse was an awesome place to work even though I didn't get many hours I still loved the atmosphere of the work place. My boss was always considerate and always ready to have fun working with us. As a hostess I was to seat people, bus tables and help servers when needed. I also was an expo runner who made sure all sides were properly placed on plates and made sure places were clean before going out of the kitchen to our guests. I also was a line cook. I prepped food, I also made food for customers, and constantly cleaned the line. Hardest part of the job was definitely trying to carry 2 boxes of potatoes and once. I loved this job even though I was in the food industry my co-workers made my job so much more worthwhile
Pros
Making life long friends and eating good food
Cons
not enough hours
amazing co-workers, family enviornment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ONMarch 27, 2016
a typical day hosting at Montana's was fun but crazy at times! during dinner rush, things got pretty hectic but working together with the other hostesses made the night flow smoothly.. i stopped working there because i moved into a different city.
Pros
50% off anything
Cons
nothing!
Structured, and good training
Server (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NBMarch 23, 2016
Working at Montana's Cookhouse was a good opportunity. I learned different restaurant systems, and had a very rigid training period. I appreciated the new perspectives, and was able to apply them in my future jobs.
The management was not very approachable, and no real effort was made to get to know employees as individuals. This resulted in communication difficulties.
The hardest part about this job was learning to work through issues that were the management's jurisdiction, but this taught me resilience and perseverance.
The best part about this job was the dependability of schedules.
Pros
Consistent and dependable schedules
Cons
Poor management
Ladies love a man that can cook
Line cook, making sure food is serve (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONMarch 17, 2016
I would check in and have a to do list that's written for me to do before I finish work. So I would work at a steady paste and when its really busy doing rush-hour I would make more stuff that's running low in the fridge so they can have more left for tomorrow morning. It was at first to try to work fast preparing the food and making sure that I don't keep the customer waiting for too long, and I like having the discount on food for me to eat.
Pros
you make your own breaks and manage your own time
Cons
not enough hours
fun environment
Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BCMarch 1, 2016
Was a fast paced job, hard for most people as breaks are based on slow business as in rush hours there is a urgency to work. would recommend most people to try. left as I was not happy with pay
Pros
free meal
fun place to work at but lacked structure
Aquatic Technician (Former Employee) –  445 St Albert Trail unit10, St Albert, AB T8N 6T9March 1, 2016
a typical day at work would be me coming in and finding a ton of dishes in the dish pit cause no one took the time to help me out before hand i know their busy but someone could of cleaned some of the dishes after the lunch crowd or even got me to come in earlier. So anyways what i learned was i got faster cleaning dishes and learned a little bit on the line. For the management don't get me started with them they are the main reason why i left in the first place cause i was promised a deal little while before i left Montanas that i would get $17.00 an hour, a free meal every shift, and as many hours as i wanted when i almost left in March of 2015 i wasn't getting the free meal every time which wasn't a big deal but i wasn't getting enough hours it felt like they were getting cut back more and more every week which in the end i found out that it was a brain cramp by one of the assistant managers cause i took some time off one week and they never changed my hours back to normal after that which made me pretty upset cause they should of realized something was wrong when I'm only working 4 days a week when I'm usually working 5-6 days a week. Anyways that was that so the hardest part of the job was those busy nights on the weekend and your on your own. The most enjoyable was working with my coworkers they were all nice people.
Pros
wage, coworkers
Cons
not enough hours, management
Good kitchen job
Line Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONFebruary 24, 2016
One of the best kitchen jobs that I've had in my 7 years as a cook. Very secure, reasonable managers who are willing to work with you and your personal life.
Pros
Understanding management, fun people, job security and work/life balance
Cons
Repetitive and low pay, not much room for growth.