Montana's Cookhouse Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun work, but terrible employees
Line Cook (Former Employee), Walnut GroveAugust 3, 2015
Pros: Free Drinks
Cons: Racism, Bad hours
It was really fun to learn how to cook new things. The management was nice but it wasn't well managed. The Line was a mess and there was blatant racism. It was a bit much. I learned a lot of new things I will see that as a positive, but it was while I was being insulted and sometimes it wasn't even in a language I could understand fully. Since I grew up in a multicutural area, however, I picked up on some of it.
Great cook experience
Line cook/Prep cook (Former Employee), Scarborough, ONJuly 12, 2015
learn to be great with time management. mastered a great deal of kitchen skills form grill and pantry. enjoyed working for the company.
Fun place to work
SERVER/HOSTESS/EXPO (Former Employee), Fort McMurray, ABJune 28, 2015
I loved working at Montana's. My coworkers were very fun to work with and always eager to help when I needed it. The managers were amazing as well. Kept it perfectly balanced between professional and friendly. It was always very easy to talk to them.
Summary
Hostess (Current Employee), Brampton, On.June 12, 2015
Really great working at Montana's Cookhouse. Get to meet new people all the time. Also the co-work are very friendly when you need to ask them a question.
Productive anf fun place.
Server/Hostess (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 30, 2015
Pros: Having an enjoyable job
Cons: Not great management
Although management was not as great as it could be, working at Montana's was very enjoyable because of my co-workers. When i first started there they made me feel at home and in little to no time i was a part of them. Montana's taught me how to give every single customer a great experience which allowed them to come back and ask for me personally to serve them. The hardest part of the job was learning the system used there in order to punch in food, however when getting a hang of it i had no problems what so ever. The most enjoyable part of the job was going in and working with my co-workers, i am very friendly and approachable therefore make friends very easily, which is i believe an important quality when working at a restaurant.
Fun and efficient workplace.
Server (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONMay 29, 2015
Cons: not enough hours.
Montana's is a workplace that allows me to work at a fast pace and constantly interact with the public. On any given day, I am able to meet at least 20 new people while getting to know my co-workers on a deeper level. I have developed friendships that go outside of work with people who push me to do better in my daily life and on the job, and vice versa.
Working as a server has taught me how to deal with all kinds of people and how to treat each individual with respect. I have learned how to maneuver in tough situations and have further developed my ability to work well under pressure.
I have learned how to effectively multitask and remember many things at one time. I have developed the ability to be friendly and 'happy' even when it does not suit my mood.
Fun workplace but very fast paced
Restaurant/Lounge Server (Current Employee), St. Albert, ABMay 25, 2015
Montana's is a family restaurant that is extremely busy. It is a fun work environment at times but can also be very stressful. Serving has allowed a development of my communication and customer service skills as well as a great ability to multitask. Serving in a restaurant is a team effort as well as individual so it is important to be able to work together and alone. The hardest part of the job is having to handle customers that may not be happy with their experience at the restaurant.
meet many people from all over the world because we are close to the airport
Hostess (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMay 14, 2015
my typical day at work would be doing opening duties by cleaning the front organizing menus, seating people and booking reservations
Productive, fun workplace.
Hostess/Server (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONApril 26, 2015
Pros: fun environment, great people
Cons: must be on your feet for long periods of time
My co-workers are amazing, I really enjoied the fact that I have advanced within the 5 years I have worked there. My managers are also wonderful, and do their best to communicate with staff which helps improve the way we all work. I like how the company is always trying to improve or be innovative. I have learned so much about the food service industry.
Productctive, amazing co workers.
Line Cook/ Dishwasher (Current Employee), Winnipeg,MBApril 23, 2015
Pros: Great work culture
Cons: Your average restaurant problems
Management was great and I made frieds with most of my co-workers. I worked up from dishwasher to prep cook and line cook. Helped pay for my school.
Laid back workplace, good coworker relationships
Line Cook (Former Employee), Calgary, ABApril 14, 2015
Pros: strong coworker and management relationships
Cons: scheduling conflicts were very common
As a line cook I prepared and cooked meals, sanitized and cleaned the restaurant, and I trained two new employees within a month of working for the company. I take pride in doing my job well. If required I asked my coworkers for assistance, and helped others to complete their work. Coworker relationships for the most part were very good, we interacted well with each other.
fast paced hard to learn environment
Line cook - trained on all stations (Former Employee), st.albert, abMarch 31, 2015
Pros: able to cook own food
Cons: long hours late into night
very fast paced with lots of very repetitive work to do. other employees and management are very critical of your work and come across rude.
Fun place to work great staff
Restaurant Hostess (Former Employee), Brantford, ONMarch 15, 2015
Pros: great staff
Cons: not enough hours
Got to work
Cleaned hostess stand
washed windows
Seated guests
Swept floors
Brought food to tables
Learned how to seat guests communicate with guests
Management was good
Hardest part was organizing guests when there was long waits
Most enjoyable part was seeing guests leave happy with a good experience
Fun place to work, but if youre part time you get the bad end of the stick
Hostess (Current Employee), Kelowna, BCMarch 10, 2015
Pros: fun environment
Cons: bad managment
The staff wasnt bad, though the managment was the worst ive ever seen. It is the reason i am quitting. Though, with tips it is nice. I didnt recieve tips though until 6 weeks after i started as a "probation" period. The hours arent bad if youre part time. Though as a host, i was working most weekends till 11 oclock. Plus if youre part time you always get the bad end of the stick as a hostess
Fun workplace with a great staff team!
Head Hostess (Former Employee), Oakville, OntarioMarch 2, 2015
Pros: great environment, friendly staff
Cons: short hours
Working as a head hostess, I was trusted with many different tasks around the restaurant. I would seat families and individuals while telling them about daily specials and my personal food recommendations.

The management team was amazing, the three main managers were constantly trying to push the hostess team to new levels and taught us many useful lessons to use in our futures. They always were open to new possibilities and position advancements if we desired.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the co-workers. Everyone was truly like a giant family which made going to work a pleasure.
Fun workplace, sanitary, good atmosphere
Prep Cook (Former Employee), Guelph ONFebruary 25, 2015
I would just go into work, clean my hands well, and start making corn bread and baking cookies, prepping the baked potatoes, etc. I learned about the restaurant environment from working at Montana's. Management was great and I loved to joke around and have a good time with my co-workers. I think the hardest part of the job was just that I had never really had the experience before so it was a tad overwhelming at first, but the best part was getting in a full work day and feeling accomplished from it.
Productive workplace with great co-workers and management
Hostess (Current Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONFebruary 23, 2015
Pros: productive and always busy
Cons: constant moving
Greeting and bringing customers to their table, busing tables and managing a wait list. Organized team and likeable management. Hardest part is managing a wait list and quoting a wait time. Most enjoyable part is working with an awesome team and making customers happy with their stay.
Teamwork is the key to a successful work environment
Hostess (Current Employee), Coquitlam, BCFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: free beverages
Cons: no specific end time
Working in a restaurant made me realize the true meaning of teamwork. Everyone is there to help each other. The management did well considering their young age. The hardest part of the job was meeting the customers every need - but it was also the most satisfying part once they left having had a great dining experience.
Productive and fun workplace
Server (Current Employee), Niagara Falls, ONFebruary 16, 2015
Montana's Cookhouse is an enjoyable work environment with friendly employees who are dedicated to providing excellent customer service and good quality food.
Management Creates a Poisonous Environment
Expediter/Server (Current Employee), Fredericton, NBFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: friendly coworkers
Cons: management
I have respected every person whom I have worked for thus far, but the managers at Montana's put an end to that streak:

I was hired as a server, under the condition that I work in the kitchen for four months; the reason being: they just hired six new servers who would be doing training for that amount of time. After I was due for server training, and working months of inconsistent split-shifts, management did not promote me to server as promised. I was doing so well in the kitchen, they decided to drag out my "server training" by giving me 4 hours of training out of 35 hours per week with unlimited availability. I confronted the managers calmly and professionally on numerous occasions in an attempt to even get a time frame for my server training and its completion. Since I have been hired, over half a dozen servers have gone through the hiring and training process. Everyone who works there will admit the managers and owner are terrible, but hardly anyone quits because the money one makes as a server is too good. The money made in the kitchen is awful, but standards are so low it's almost impossible to get fired.
I enjoy working with all the employees; but because of management there is no money in the world that would keep me in the dreadful haze they create.
I would go as far as saying they abuse most of their employees. A fair warning to all that might apply for a job their: The way an employee gets disposed of at Montana's is by making their work environment impossible for the best of us to deal with. Here are typical signs management wants to get rid of you: getting schedules that don't match availability, receiving inconsistent criticism regarding work you have been doing consistently for months, etc.

I reiterate: I liked and respected all my other jobs and managers I have had so far except this one.