Montana's Cookhouse Employee Reviews

Great place for new workers to start and and get a good feel of the work force
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 November 2016
The quality of work conducted at Montana's Cookhouse is not comparable with any other institute like it. Hard working people, perseverance, and exploration of new techniques. Most of all the owner and the workers all have an ambitious vision for the future which is what makes Montana's Cookhouse special.
Time management!
Pantry Chef (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 October 2016
Would work during typical dinner rushes where staff is most needed. Sometimes this would mean coming in for 3 hours and leaving once the dinner rush was over. Hours were very unpredictable and usually less than 10 hours a week. The hardest part of the job was working by yourself during dinner rushes and falling behind with chit times.
Pros
50% off all food
Cons
unpredictable hours
Fun place to work.
Server (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON27 October 2016
Very fun environment. Management is great, and staff members are very fun and extremely nice. Satisfying your customers is definitely the most enjoyable part of the job.
Good Place to Work
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 October 2016
Great managers and co-workers which make it a very fun place to work. A typical shift is around 5 hours and time goes by very fast especially if it is busy -- which I really enjoy
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
A lot of children which leads to a lot of messes
Productive, friendly, but sometimes slow on shifts.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC23 October 2016
A typical day at work was usually, get there, get ready, say hi to my co-workers and get to work, while enjoying what I did. I learned how to handle fryers more safely, and cook more foods with them. The management was really good, but during the time i was there, the management was shifting over so shifts were very random and then stopped completely for about a few weeks, from confusion. My co-workers were great, friendly, and motivational to me, and always made me feel welcome. Hardest part of the job was when it came to rush time and there weren't enough fryers for all the food I needed to cook so I had to improvise. Most enjoyable part was seeing people that I enjoyed being around every shift and being told I did a good job.
Pros
50% off lunch.
Cons
If closing you can only leave when everyone is finished.
Montanas
Dishwasher, Line cook, Hostess, Expediter (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON10 October 2016
The management was terrible. other staff was okay. Not the best place to work and werent very flexible with working around another job. Made me choose that is why i left
Fun but Hectic workplace
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON6 October 2016
The staff were fun but the hours were unsteady. I was never paid what was offered at my interview nor was i given the agreed upon weekly hours. The management was generally helpful but sometimes nasty and overbearing. This was a summer job for me at most, but it did help me function in a larger kitchen space.
Pros
Nice Co-workers
Cons
Low pay and uneven hours
Fast-paced, strict work environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK28 September 2016
A typical day would include clocking in, checking to see what section you were to cover and hoping the hostess hadn't already seated people in your section before you arrived. You may work for example for an evening shift (5-8pm) but you may not get to leave until 930, depending on if your manager-on-duty remembers to cut you for the night. Finally after completing your daily cleaning task you may cash-out (You are expected to provide your own float of at least $30 to bring to every shift) and leave. You do get a discount on food provided you are given a "discount card" that you must have on you every time you come in to eat.
The management was not good. They cared an awful lot about what was said about their restaurant, considering they wouldn't take the time to ensure their staff was properly trained. I was hardly trained. They "fast-tracked" me, as they called it. Which essentially means show you table numbers, how to clean tables, tell you where things are, and tell you to learn the menu, then throw you to the wolves so to speak. There was plenty of things I wasn't told that I learned the hard way. Miscommunication was an issue. Management also seemed inconvenienced every time you asked them a question.
My co-workers were wonderful. Understanding and willing to help out at any time!
The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the pace of the customers, especially when the bar was running behind in making drinks.
I most enjoyed interacting with kind customers.

Overall I learned that I do not enjoy working in the sort of environment Montana's provides.
Pros
Good tips, great for interaction with people
Cons
Poor management, poor quality training provided
A great place to start
Manager Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON14 September 2016
a great place to work, not recommended for people with families. Montana's is a great place to advance yourself and learn many things about the foodservice industry. a typical day at work for a manager is a 9 hour shift, closing (3-12), opening (6-4) or a mid (12-9). I learned a ton about running a business and working with a budget as well as many other things. Management (owners) were good, but not present enough and expectations were high. Co-workers are a wide range of people ranging from minimum wage dishwashers working their first job to business owners, area managers, servers in school and a few people trying to get back on track in their lives. hardest part of the job was the amount of hours and flexibility that I had to provide. the schedule was inconsistent, meaning I would close for an extended period of time, then open, then back to closes with no regularity. the most enjoyable part of the job was working with the team during the busy moments, the store I currently work for is a great store and it has a great team, it feels like being at home sometimes.
Pros
opportunity for advancement, high job autonomy
Cons
amount of hours (salaried), irregularity of schedule
Productive and great place to work at with great people.
Hostess/Food Expo (Former Employee) –  Regent Avenue.12 September 2016
Work was good when it was busy, I learned a lot from there and the co-workers were all so nice and upbeat. I enjoy working in a fast paced enviorment.
Fast paced, friendly environment
Hostess/ Expeditor (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON29 August 2016
Learned a lot working here the 3 managers are very helpful and understanding when the kitchen would get busy. On a daily work basis I would make sure my station was clean and fully stalked for the dinner rush as the rush came around I would dish out sides and sauces to avoide delay. The hardest thing working as an expoditor would have to be making sure the waitresses get there food out on time so your not sent back food and on overload.
Pros
Discount
Cons
A/c
i really enjoyed being a hostess at montanas
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB25 August 2016
overall the job was pretty good, although they didn't have fairness within the hostesses and they played a lot of favoritism which showed.
Could have been better under different ownership
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB15 August 2016
Owners at my location were unwilling to fund programs and contests to incentivize servers to meet and exceed goals.

As a manager I tried many times to implement contests/prizes for sales goals but both the owners and GM were not receptive to the idea.
Productive and fun environment,
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 July 2016
I enjoy working at Montana's. The atmosphere is upbeat and energetic. The staff is wonderful and I enjoy watching them interact with the guests. The most enjoyable part of working at Montana's is the camaraderie. The hardest part of the job is the commute.
Overall positive environment and cozy place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON6 July 2016
I enjoyed working at Montana's Cookhouse located in Vaughan, Ontario. The only downfall was the lack of diversity among the staff members, almost all of them were blonde females. A typical day working at Montana's Cookhouse involved being extremely friendly and welcoming to our guests, a requirement in any business I can think of. The management was great, but again very narrow minded when selecting candidates to hire. The hardest part of the job I would say was having to professionally cut people off when working bar shifts. The most enjoyable part of the job would be having a nice crowded restaurant during sporting events and big games (I love working at a fast paced).
Pros
Discounted yummy food
Cons
Driving back home (downtown Toronto) after work
Fun place to work!
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS28 June 2016
I worked at Montana's for 3+years. I started as a hostess and worked my way up to serving. When working there, the management was hit or miss... good days and bad days. It was the staff that made it worth staying. The people there are unreal, it was like a big family! I have never worked in a place were everything liked eachother or got along.. and Montana's was like this. Great team work FOH and BOH. The hours weren't the best at times, lots of splits, but again its a restaurant. I would have stayed there for awhile longer if I didn't move away.
Pros
people
it was fun
Dishwasher/prep cook/line cook (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON15 June 2016
i like the employees but not the managers . i would recommend this job to a friend just cause the people are cool and it teaches you about working in a fast pace high stress environment
FUN & Stressful
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 June 2016
Work is Fun
Love the people I work with
Owners are cheap....do not get new things when needed
Some Managers are snakes & not professional and should not be trusted.
Other managers are extremely nice and professional
CARA should personally take back this restaurant and make it the way it should be
Pros
50% off when working 20% off when not
Cons
stressful environment when it shouldn't have to be.
Excellent work environment, positive co-workers and management.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON27 May 2016
Montana's cookhouse has to be my favorite place that i was employed at. Co-workers and management were excellent, very positive work environment, and customers always left satisfied an full!
Fun, laid-back work environment
Host (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 May 2016
- Repetitive work of taking people to assigned tables, letting them know of any specials
- Long hours standing
- Management was very effective and on top of employee's actions
- The dinner rush was chaotic but we all survived
- Now know the lyrics to the birthday song
- Enjoyed "running" food from the kitchen to the waiting tables
- Learned teamwork and how to balance multiple dishes