Montana's BBQ & Bar Employee Reviews

hard worker
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 November 2017
my work day at montanas cook house is good I learn a lot but I want to work as a apprentice in cooking because I want to get into

the hotel work and do more hard stuff
Worst
Manager (Former Employee) –  South Surrey, BC27 November 2017
If your looking to join South Surrey, DON'T TRUST THEM!!!!
Told one thing upon being hired then let down on first day, walked away after one hour of dishonesty.
Pros
Not sure what to say
Cons
The list is too long to type
Fun place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC24 September 2017
I enjoyed working here lots. Staff is super friendly and management is very understanding and extremely nice. Good pay and great atmosphere. Shifts are good lengths and tips are very good as well
Pros
50% off food when working
Cons
very family oriented with lots of kids running around
Good place to work but bad management.
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK23 September 2017
I worked at montanas for two months. Was told I was doing great had employee recognition. Then I had one grumpy table as I served and that night they fired me. During the two months they hired probably 20 people and fired people constantly even their best server who worked their four years fired him with no valid reason.
Pros
Steak and ribs very cheap.
Cons
Management.
High energy environement
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB14 September 2017
This job makes sure to keep you on your toes, once rush hour starts you will not stop running around. Whether its answering the door, the phone, or the customers demands and questions.
Pros
50% off days you work, 20% with friends+family when you dont
Cons
Little hours and low hourly rate
not a good place to work
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 August 2017
I work there for 15 days only. no training given fro new line cook. go on solo work during my 5 day of duty. min hrs given to line cook. also, no career advancement.
Pros
free drinks
Cons
expérience
Unpredictable
Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  London, ON3 August 2017
Different managers have different specs they go by. That is, some value meeting spec, others value food presentation, and others just want orders out as fast as possible. The result is not knowing what I'm aiming for and on shift change getting scolded.

The prep cooks are entirely understaffed with a typical Friday or Saturday running 8-12 hours, and if you try to take a break, 5 minutes in the manager's trying to get you to work, so whenever I know I'm having a long day, I know it's going to be without a break.

The job itself isn't very hard, but when you have 1 person on staff and 4 hours into my shift it's clear the managers are trying to get me out of there as soon as possible, it's quite aggravating when I know it's going to take me 6+ hours to finish from the get-go.

Management is a mess and the general manager at my place had no idea how to motivate others. Common practice was outright lying when he'd make agreements with other staff.
Pros
Not overly complex
Cons
Bad management
Fun productive workplace
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 August 2017
Working at Montanas was amazing.. I picked up some great hours and all my other co workers were really nice and as line cook we all got along and worked as a team
Life working at montanas
Cook/Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 July 2017
Id start my shift by making sure all of my station is stocked up. Making sure all my sauce bottle are ready for the night. As I'm cooking I'm making sure my station stays clean and organised, at the same time helping anybody who's in need.
Pros
Great team work, hands on experience
Cons
Tight spaces
Energetic and creative workplace
Server (Former Employee) –  9705 Hardin St, Fort McMurray6 June 2017
I liked working at Montana's first because it was my first job as a server so I appreciated all the help I received from my co workers and the patience they had while I was learning the food menu and the drinks. The hardest part was opening up to people and making sure they were having a great time. However, I learned to be myself until I was able to engage with every customer, even though I did not receive any sort of training prior to starting serving tables.
Dishwasher
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON2 June 2017
I usually arrive around 5pm, and just focus in my area maintein the kitchen clean all the dish organized.

I dont like the breaks because then the work accumulate and then will be disches everywhere
Nice place to work- hours are super unpredictable
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Orillia, ON2 June 2017
Some of the staff is awesome to work with, well others are a little stuck in their ways. Management for the most part is awesome as well. The hours on the other hand hours are super unpredictable. You may be considered full-time on paper, but in reality work less than someone who works part-time. Servers 100% rely on their tips.
Pros
Tips
Cons
Early cuts, no rotation of cuts
It's a rather productive and a fun working environment surrounded by really nice entertaining hard workers
Dishwasher/Kitchen Helper (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK24 May 2017
Well a typical day at Montanas would be one of those days you think its not busy but all of a sudden it gets crazy busy and what I learnt from this workplace is how to converse with people of different cultures and it has an okay management. Hardest part of my job is when we have over 7000 sales per night and I am the onlyone working at the dish pit and the most enjoyable part of my job is when I finally have a chance to sit down and relax after a busy wave of peope.
Pros
Free small portioned snacks sometimes in the kitchen.
Cons
A 7 hour shift could feel like 7 years sometimes working in the dish pit.
Fun work environment at times.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  1711 Merivale Rd, Nepean, ON K2G 3K22 May 2017
Very friendly coworkers and overall a nice work environment. The hours weren't very good. i learned lots of culinary skills working at Montana's and would love to work in the same type of environment again.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Poor hours
Very fun and open minded kitchen
Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON27 April 2017
If your looking for a start in the kitchen, with great work culture and team work. This is a place i would recommend. As a Line formation in the kitchen it is fast paced and relies on team work with your coworkers to get the job done. Really great work experience and all around milestone when it comes to understanding prep and portioning.
Pros
Space to grow and Flexible schedule
Cons
Requires to learn quick and efficiently due to fast paced kitchen
My favourite company!
Server (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB18 April 2017
Cara is by far the best company I have ever worked for. Very easy going. Management is understanding in both locations I worked at. Training was remarkable and hours were great!
kitchen Was well ran when i worked there
Prep and Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK18 April 2017
Montana's can be a real great place to work for the right person. Can be very high paced with lots to do. staff can be very friendly and helpful to NEW employee's
Pros
Free meal per shift
Cons
Lots of standing and continually doing something
fun place to work
Bar Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 April 2017
worked there a long time ago and was fun but was looking to have a monday to friday job so i cuold build have a family life. early mornings and late nights.
Nice place to work, great view
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Kimberley, BC8 April 2017
Same thing as said before. Good management and workers got along and worked together. That being said made us succeed and have good timing and good good served. Also had a clean place for customers to come and eat.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Having to work 11 hrs after a having a car accident
An overall good place to work
Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 March 2017
Having a great rapport with all staff members, from when I would get there in the morning I would say good morning to all and when leaving good bye to all. The same practice is upheld by all employees. We had an excellent management team that had the best three managers throughout the company which included three other Montana locations. Culture was positive, ownership was not around as much as they had to work and mentor other locations that didn't run as smoothly as our operation. Hardest part of the job was, believe it or not leaving to go and start my own business. Best part of job was dealing with the guests, getting to know the staff, and of course the complimentary food.
Pros
Free lunch, amazing employees
Cons
Long hours but with it to show others that all management works hard.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Montana's BBQ & Bar. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5