Momentum Employee Reviews

Educative and warm interactive environment
Financial Adviser (Current Employee) –  JohannesburgFebruary 25, 2015
Our mornings begin with +/-1 hour meetinngs reflecting on yesterdays perforrmance, plans to improve from negative past actions and plans for the day.The meetings also inculde feedbacks and discussions on tips and lessons other members can use when faced with similar situations and issues.
I have learnt the importance of always meeting knew peolpe, getting to know clients before even offering them any solutions by listening first and then replying. Teams are very important to lift each other up, brainstorming to solve issues and for synergy.
Our management is made up of supportive and open individuals that respect us and want the best for us even going as far as joining us on appointments and asssisting with presentations.
A diverse group of colleagues in terms of language, cultures, ideas, dreams and personalities. But we all had a common interst of improving peoples financial states and equiping them with knowledge and tools to handle all kinds of everyday obstacles.
Hardest part of the job was overcoming the negative perception of insurance advisers and declining of claims by insurers for some claims.
Enjoyable part of the job is interacting with new people daily, listening to peoples different experiences and dreams and opinions.
Pros
advanced technology equipment to carry out duties. face-to-face interaction with clients
Cons
clients negative perceptions based on past experiences
Productive working evironment
Executive Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Centurion, GPJuly 11, 2014
• Plan and manage the diaries of Chief Information Officer (CIO) and Head of Business Process and Optimization (BPO).
• Provide administrative support to the IT and BPO teams: typing, compiling, writing & filing of documentation such as memos, letters, minutes, reports, etc.
• Updating and maintaining of the filing system.
• Performing general secretarial and administrative duties, including setting up of
meetings, managing escalated queries, compiling reports, controlling the budget, controlling stock and equipment and purchasing office supplies.
• Coordinating and planning of meetings, functions and events: planned scheduled
activities, flights reservations, hotel bookings, car hire bookings etc.
• Designing PowerPoint presentations, set up of excel workbooks and creating word
documents.
• Managing and maintaining of contracts (Contractors).
• Budget administration and support for IT and Business Analyst Teams
(Managed finance spend vs. budget).
• Administrate the billing and tracking of cost.
• General support to BPO and IT teams: HR related queries.
• Processing of invoices and quotations.
• Submit supporting invoices for corporate credit card expenses.
Pros
working experience
Cons
travelling
challenging and exciting work opportunity
financial advisor (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, GPMay 24, 2015
As a financial planner, your primary role is to help your clients realize their financial goals and objectives, and clients are just like snowflakes; there are no two similar clients, which means no two days are alike.Another thing I really like about my job is creating financial plans and reading financial articles. It is important to know what is going on in the stock market, the economy and about new investment/tax strategies.

Creating retirement plans is a lot of fun too. You get to know your clients better and you offer them a truely value added service as a financial planner; a global overview of their financial situation.

Pre-requisites to Become a Financial Planner

If you are looking to become a financial planner, here are the few requirements you need to have according to my experience:

– You enjoy challenges/pressure

– You like people and talking to them (read listening to them)

– You are analytical

– You are able to communicate financial reality

– You are a go getter

– You are able to close a sale

– You are honest and transparent
Pros
own working hours
Cons
constant sales effort
Productive and fun working environment
PA (Diary Co ordinator) (Current Employee) –  Centurion, GautengJune 27, 2012
Momentum has a very relaxed working environment and I have learnt that the goal here is to be up to date with your work and make sure that the clients and brokers are provided with an excellent serive. Also a good relation between colleagues is very important as team work, which is one of the Momentum Values, is of utmost importance here Momentum. Management is always willing to hear our suggetions and opinions regarding working towards reach our goals efficiently and the co workers are like family as we spend most of the time together and the team works is excellent. We try to create activities so we can keep communication lines open. The hardest part of my job is handling difficult clients and Brokers and trying to satisfy everybody all the time, which is not always possible. And the most enjoyable part is being able to successfully assist clients and brokers leaving everybody satisfied with services and also that I get to interact with a lot of people.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
(in my department) no overtime
Productive, stressfull
Senior Underwriting Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, WCOctober 15, 2013
Constantly shifting between tasks and extremely busy;
I have learnt that every minute counts and to make the most of it; to tackle something head-on that scares you and not make too much of it;
Our managers are drivers, who expect results, but sometime too soon. Certain things requires time to work through before you can see results;
My co-workers are like a family, fun, but equally hard-working;
The hardest part of my job is trying to juggle what I am required to do and what my manager requires of me to do; Achieving your goals especially those that you set out to achieve for the day/week; also seeing a member successfully underwritten.
Pros
brilliant medical aid, work hard and play hard
Cons
constantly shifting strategy and not always sure of job security, change is good but not if its constant interfering with job security
Challenging and beneficial work experience
Quality Assuror (Current Employee) –  CenturionFebruary 19, 2013
A typical day involves queries received from brokers and provident and pension fund members on their investment returns and benefit scope. I have learned a lot about the pension and/or provident fund legislative structure as well as it's impact on clients. Employee benefits is quite a diverse industry. My co-workers are the greatest part of my job. The interactions with them is mostly joyous regardless of the nature and challenges of our jobs. The most challenging aspect of my job is handling the misconceptions that clients have about their benefits and handling their expectations with care and a sense of empathy. Hence one needs to educate your clients to leave them satisfied and to build a rapport.
Pros
great office
Cons
remuneration structure is inconsistent
Fun workplace and it's a diverse culture
Administration service consultant (Current Employee) –  Johanessburg/CenturionOctober 2, 2012
I love working for Momentum. The department was a great starter for a working career path. You learn to be tough/build confidence in talking to people you don't know and as an introvert person it was a great advancement. The hardest part was the salary as it was commission based (no gaurantee) The opportunity that you have long-term is awesome. All of the employees are fun, high-energy competitors and they bring the best out of you. We work as a team and also give back to the community. Yes the were some negative employees who take no responsibility for their actions and are usually employees that fall below company standards. They are usually involved in unethical activities on the job that are non-productive.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
employee development
Big national company
Training and Development Facilitator (Former Employee) –  PretoriaJune 25, 2013
Training and development of existing, new staff and managers
Performance improvement coaching and mentoring sessions with agents
Designing and development of training programmes and training material, with a specific focus on Employee Benefits.
Assessing learning interventions
Analyzing performance requirements, such as gap analysis and intervention proposals.
Administrating training services such as reports and schedules.
Record data and give feedback to departmental Senior Managers.
Manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders

Delivery of proposals for training
Develop induction programmes
Learning assessments – design
Delivery of training focused on interpersonal
Pproductive and fun work place
Clining (Former Employee) –  Dublin, 8February 2, 2015
Every working day I had an obligation to maintain cleanliness in accordance with company standards and principles of safety and hygiene.
Stole of message on the standards of cleanliness, and maintain regularity.
improved capabilities and the organization of their own workplace.
I learned how to manage their own time and distribution of responsibilities for the duration of the work.
Ability to work in a team, communication skills and flexibility that have allowed me to fit in and enjoy a pleasant and friendly place to work.
The most difficult task was to work on the outside at low temperatures.
Performed every task was rewarding and enjoyable.
Pros
flexible working hours
Productive, highly skilled colleagues
Network Resource Manager (Former Employee) –  Centurion, GPFebruary 28, 2014
A typical day started with an operations meeting with other teams, then my teams meeting to distribute work, review service requests and project plans.

I learnt how to analyse effectively, strategic and operations management. Communicate effectively with business units.

Management communicated effectively and clearly, there were identifiable goals. The business needs were shared, also the organisation's visions & way forward.

Co-workers were pleasant, highly skilled

Slow delivery from service providers.

Working with the people I worked with
Pros
working with skilled people, little or no training required apart from advancement.
Fun and productive
Owner/Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Lillington, NCDecember 17, 2014
A typical day at work was caring for the kids. Making sure they did their work. I learned that a child education is very important. Through this camp there were kids who really needed the extra help that this camp provided. Management was very well organized. My co-workers was great to work with. We was a great team making sure every thing was in place. There wasn't a hard place in the job. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I would teach a child something and the moment they got it their faces lite up with joy because they had someone there to teach them how to do different things in the work.
Pros
kids learning throughout the summer
Cons
short breaks
The old Transnet workplace
Portfolio Head (Former Employee) –  Parktown, GPDecember 20, 2013
This is an awesome brand to be part of as as I have the same values, the overall management have vision and I love an organization that has vision.

The hardest part of my job is to effect change when individuals do not have vision.

The most enjoyable part of my job is succeed even in the most difficult circumstances and to be part of a team that believe anything is possible if everyone works together.

I had to learn that their are many ways to skin a cat and that you do not have to be confrontatinal you need to understand the personalities of people and work with it.
Pros
the brand
Cons
no change on how business should be done.
Personal and career development
Tax Accountant (Current Employee) –  Centurion, GPJune 20, 2014
I do plan my my work but it is pointless, almost all the queries that comes through to my desk are urgent and it is possible to spend the entire day resolving a query that was not in my daily plan.

I have a manager who has an open door policy and my colleagues are fun to work with. We respect each other personal space and we know that is not wrong to to be different.

It is heart breaking and frustrating to have a client that is at the SARS branch and she is crying and swearing.

When a satisfied client or a colleague thinks that I am guardian angel.
Pros
awards to recognise hard work
Cons
unscheduled long hours
You can earn high but at a cost.
Serice Consultant (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, GPMarch 6, 2015
We reconcile contributions made by the company on behalf of their employees benefits such as Group Life, disability or funeral benefits. Employees benefits what it means to have a death benefit when and how to claim and the exclusions on the policy. My manager is great in fact she is supporting us a lot and advises us to study further and my colleagues are great good team members. To work on P4P is the toughest thing on my job because by month I'm finished. The most enjoyable part are the outings.
Pros
you sign your own cheque at the end of the month.
Cons
by the end of the month you are exhausted.
Great culture
Service Manager (Former Employee) –  CenturionMay 3, 2013
Momentum is a great company to work for. The call centre is a stressful environment but the best place to get to know yourself and to grow and mature. The culture and people are amazing. People who work together become like family and the teamwork there is just electrifying. The one thing of the environment that is not good is the lack of balance. Everyone is so committed that balance becomes something that does not exist. The most enjoyable part is the vibe and energy in the people. The company is innovative, vibrant and young.
Pros
the building and culture
Cons
long hours and lack of balance
easy going company
carer (Current Employee) –  FochabersNovember 16, 2012
working around peoples homes providing care to the elderly and physically disabled, i have learned different aspects of backgrounds which has opened my eyes to what life has and can offer in the future. the management are good at their work and will try to accomodate any needs that the staff need, they are there to listen to any worries and troubles that we have, we have a good circle of workers that help each other out if they are needed. the most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I am helping people who need the help that I am there to do.
Pros
good circle of employees
Cons
split shifts
Employer
Risk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cape Town, WCMay 28, 2014
A typical day is routine. Looking at the workflow system and managing the required daily work. Ensuring that the daily targets are met and the best possible product and service is delivered to the client.

I have learnt a lot with regards to the pricing environment of corporate risk policies as well as how to handle oneself accordingly with various members along the work supply chain.

My co - workers are great, there is a feeling of family when we are all together.
Pros
being able to be an intergral part of the pricing team in obtaining business.
Cons
minimal growth
Great Company Good Values
Marketing Adviser ( Broker Consultant) (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, GPNovember 25, 2014
I enjoy my job. It is very pressurizad and I enjoy that.
The training was really good and they manage you according to your personallity test.
I learnt to be resilient and keep pushing even when you cant anymore. I would say the hardist part of my job was finding the brokers / financial planners.
The most enjoyable part of my job was watching the process after I had submitted business and pushing it to issue.
Pros
networking, flexi hours but making sure your work is done. long hours but you choose. the thrill of close off
Productive and fun enviroment
Service Consultant (Former Employee) –  GPOctober 30, 2013
A very good work environment.
A typical day at work would be by starting off by greeting everyone then chatting a bit then get on with the days work, whilst having breakfast. Staff have a mixture of personalities, some are friendly others not. The hardest part of the job was to meet deadlines, we worked around the clock and had to be 100% correct at the same time. The most enjoyable part is when we had staff team buildings or year end socials or functions.
Pros
great benefits, medical aid, pension, bonuses
Cons
long hours, deadlines
Likes challenges and learning new things
Control Room Manager (MMI Holdings) (Current Employee) –  Johannesburg, GPAugust 16, 2013
I started at Callguard as an officer and challenged all the way until some one realised the capability and gave me a chance.First day appointed as a manager at Gemalto made me nervious.The managing director gave me few words to look for the parth not the potholes and i used the words.Was shown a lot of respect by my co workers and client.I enjoyed the part of descipline and facing the employee facially informing him of his wrong doing.
Pros
likes salads
Cons
worked for long hours for a long time