MOHAWK COLLEGE Employee Reviews

Great Environment to work.
Professor, Enterprise Resource Planning (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 January 2017
Nice place to work. Good balance of work and family. Salary is fair for level of work required. Need to do many hours outside of school to develop course material.
Pros
Working with young people.
Cons
Set in their ways.
Peer Tutor part time position
Peer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 January 2017
You get to pick your own schedule and management is very friendly. They work around your time-table. Pay is minimum wage but you refresh your courses and further deepen your knowledge.
Tutoring students for the Early Childhood Education Program Year 1
Peer Tutor (ECE) (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 November 2016
A typical day at work for me is meeting with tutee's and helping them with their academics.

I learned that there are many students who are in need of assistance with content and need different approaches to learning.

The hardest part of the job is having tutee's who do not complete their assigned work and expect you to do it for them.

The most enjoyable part of being a tutor is seeing tutee's succeed in their program and understanding the material.
Pros
Helping students with their academics
Cons
Not in high demand not enough hours
Great Staff; limited opportunities
Faculty (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 November 2016
Meaningful and challenging work. Limited chances to grow into full-time opportunities.Education and healthcare are very limited in growth with on-going government cutbacks and lack of funding creating a treading water philosophy opposed to the past ideology of putting the student/client first.
Great First time experience in work field
Student Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 September 2016
Working at Mohawk College has helped me start off my career as an Educational Assistant. Each experience with students with different needs has allowed me to use my knowledge and applying it to tasks at hand
Pros
clean positive environment
Cons
random hours
Fun and professional environment with amazing and intelligent co-workers
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON25 January 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job is my co-workers are hardworking and intelligent people. I also enjoy the experience i receive and the things I learn from it.
Pros
hours
Cons
N/A
Balanced life and school together
Varsity Athlete, Cross Country Runner (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 January 2017
Had to manage getting in 20-30 hours of training and traveling included into my busy school life while maintaining a social life. i feel like i handled it very well
Fun and interesting with the satisfaction of helping educate others.
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 May 2016
Typically, instructor and I arrive half an hour ahead of class and discuss the lesson plan with the program coordinator. Lab equipment is setup, medications are organized, and the lab rooms are prepared. During the class, I assist in the answering of any questions the students may have and also help guide the students through the PharmaClik software, while the professor instructs the class. In addition to these general duties, I aid in the supervision of the class and course materials as well as the marking of assignment/tests and grade input. I find the most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction/rewarding feeling I receive when being able to help students achieve set academic goals, while the hardest part of the job would be managing the class time to efficiently work through the material while answering all student questions, ensuring that each pupil has an equivalent understanding of the covered material by the end of class.
Pros
Great wage, paid lunch, wonderful workplace environment.
Cons
One shift per week.
Very flexible, helpful supervisors, and great learning environment
Technologist Helper (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 April 2016
I really enjoyed working at Mohawk College, they were very understanding of the fact that I was still in school making the hours very flexible. All of the employers I worked with were very helpful and nice when instructing me on what to do or how to do it. It was a great experience for me to learn a different side of engineering besides my program of study. Overall a fantastic working position.
Pros
Perfect for a student, super flexible and great learning experience.
Cons
All the rooms were locked so I had to wait often to get help if no one was around.
Overall a good place to work
Helpdesk Technician (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 November 2015
Management has some issues however the benefits, salary and work environment are all good. Most of the current employee's don't realize how good they have it
Really fun
Camp counsellor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 May 2016
It was fun to teaching the kids how to play basketball helping them new learn new moves, drill and etc it was fun and I would definately do it again
Mohawk College Student
Camera Operator and Lighting Technician (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 March 2016
The everyday life as a student at Mohawk College is great the faculty are all willing to help out and help further there students into the industry. I don't even know where to start on what I have learned attending Mohawk. But the students around me definitely make the experience a little more enjoyable.
Encouraging and fulfilling workplace
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 April 2016
Working for Mohawk College has been a wonderful experience for me. I have made meaningful connections with my colleagues and enjoyed my tasks and position.
Impossible to be hired
President's Office Student Services (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 March 2016
Great people to work with, but so hard to actually get your foot in the door here. Knowing people isn't enough you need YEARS of experience to even considered for an entry level job.
A busy work environment working to assist students with learning challenges to succeed in their academic life goals.
External Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 July 2012
Depending on the role called for, a typical day here may include suprvising exams, providing specific accomodations for students with special needs, assisting students to research, proofread and edit reports and essays, note-taking in the classroom, reviewing classroom notes, tutoring, providing adaptive software to assist students, preparing materials, administrative tasks in the office, providing information to students and instructors as well as providing emotional support to students.
Day-to-day work is varied and you need to be prepared for anything to happen. No two work days are ever the same.
Management is supportive and available, though independent thought and decision-making are encouraged, guided by protocol and office outlines.
Co-workers work together as a team;excellent support when faced by a crisis situation.
The hardest part of the job is walking in being prepared for anything that may occur that day.
The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the students and seeing them successfully and happily complete their college diploma or certificate.
Pros
work schedule is flexible to meet your needs.
Cons
long hours and unusual times, including weekends or late evenings.
Fun place to work with a friendly staff who are always willing to help out.
Peer Tutor (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 May 2014
=>I would sit down wait for student to arrive for a tutoring session and further help them with any subject that i am available to teach.

=>I learned how to coup with students that have different ways to learn so leaned to adjust to every different student style of teaching

=> the management was very kind and would always help me for anything that was need to be done.

=> the hardest part of my job was to make sure that each student was learning to the best of their ability and to to teach them as much as i can to improve academic excellence

=> I enjoyed teaching students and the after effect when they received better grades because of my teaching skills
Pros
We would recieve free lunches when attended meetings
Cons
Pay was minimum wage
Mohawk is a College, where education comes first
Student Services, Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 August 2014
I worked as a peer tutor on campus between classes. Students would request assistance and tutors would be notified and provided a schedule upon booking sessions. The job worked great in between classes with the occasional booking that would not fit perfectly within your class schedule. It was sufficient compensation. The hardest part of the job was watching your peer struggle with information that made perfect sense to you. The best part of the job was when you were able to assist the student in understanding and you can see the lightbulb-go-on written on their face.
Pros
Assisting others in their learning journey
Cons
Wish there were more hours available
Team co-ordination and enjoyment with co-workers.
VOLUNTEER INVOLVEMENT (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 February 2013
From my previous experience I learned that how we have to maintain the time-management and team co-ordination through out the work. Moreover, we have to treat our co-workers and clients/customers in a friendly way and whenever they need, we have to help them. Instead of this, the hardest part of the job is to handle the persons of violent nature. But, beside this, i would like to say that if we will do our job with full devotion to our work and with honesty and pure heart; and if we treat in a friendly way to each-other then we can enjoy our work a-lot.
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON24 February 2016
nice friendly environment and nice work hours. Pay is not very high but there are a lot of team activities. Usually 9-5 job.
Productive, flexible, and cooperative workplace
Part-Time teaching (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON, Canada8 March 2015
Productive, flexible, and cooperative workplace. Advanced Lab equipment.Respect employees. Thoughtful and wise management. High level academic services and variety of specializations. High technical level of research and development for the final year students.

4.5