Ministry of the Attorney General

Ministry of the Attorney General Employee Reviews

A good job when you want a challenge.
Courtroom Clerk/Registrar (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON12 August 2016
A typical day at work would be stressful, lots of paperwork to complete in a timely fashion. This job is not for someone who can't deal with significant stress. Usually had a good relationship with everyone, I felt thankful to have an excellent paying job with benefits. I learned even more about being meticulously organized and working as a team, with someone else in an extremely busy court. My listening skills were sharpened because the paperwork had to be accurate before the Justice would sign, thus making it an order. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I assisted in so many different ways. I always felt elated when I could change a feeling of despair, into a grateful smile. As for management in a bureaucracy, the very nature of the word tells the story.
Pros
clean environment, good wages and excellent commuting vehicles
Cons
high stress
if you are looking for a challenge job this is it and the most rewarding
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2016
A typical day at work depending on your position is you come in go to your desk and start your work. going through your files on your desk, which might include calling clients to obtain missing info & summarizing their file to submit to the director for approval. sometimes u have workshops. u can take lunch whenever u want. Co-workers are wonderful and helpful. My favorite job to work
Pros
the people
Cons
sometimes late hours but that's based on you & your work load
Lots of opportunities
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2016
Every day is different, therefore learn lots. Management and co-workers are supportive. Lots of work to do. Good variety.
Gained much valued court experience
Paralegal Field Placement (Former Employee) –  Milton, Burlington7 October 2016
Great opportunity to work with prosecutor. Gained in depth disclosure knowledge and case law application.
Addressing the court was my favorite part of the job.
Acquired a good knowledge of Provincial Offences Act.
football
mobilization of gas (Current Employee) –  Iracard, BC19 November 2016
i love my work so much and i feel the responsibility in my job and i so happy where i service the people and i learned from my last work the respect and the contact with different minds of people >
Pros
free lunches
Cons
12 hours
Invaluable Educational Experience
280 HOURS OF FIELD PLACEMENT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 May 2016
Having the opportunity to participate in field placement at two locations of the Ministry of the Attorney General - the Durham Region Courthouse and Old City Hall - allowed me to gain real insight into how the court system works in Ontario.
Pros
I learned a lot and met some nice people
Cons
Long commute
Great environment to work in
Courtroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 April 2016
This was an excellent environment to work in. Although I was only employed here for 6 months for work experience, it was an amazing 6 months spent with some of the most friendly people. Work was repetitive, and a little tedious at times. The hardest part was everyday decisions, as I wasn't trained on how to deal with some issues in the workplace. Overall, great place to work at.
Pros
Amazing environment
Cons
Repetitive work
Hate this Work place
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 February 2015
Limited opportunities for advancement, especially if you are a minority. They discriminate against disabilities.

Highly unqualified management, do not follow protocol when it comes to hiring, They hire their own family members/friends.

Job is good but highly toxic work environment. Do not reward positive work ethic or production.

Ok benefits, job security.
Celebrate birthday's - cake, coffee, juice
HRA / Position Management /Workforce Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 September 2012
Busy - Supporting HRC/clients verbal/written/email, maintain accurate position data 100% (HRIS-M) recruitment/staffing, update Job description, grievance, employee documentation/benefits etc.,

Learned - Patience, Coordination and attention to detail

Management - Depends on whom..

Co-workers - Total respect and excellent team players

Hardest - Not being able to investigate and resolve complex issues to clients asap.,

The most enjoyable part of my job is supporting and providing excellence in service to HRC/Clients on a daily basis. Liaise with line management out in the field to provide advice and clarification when needed regarding relevant human resources policies, procedure and guidelines. And to also investigate/resolve complex issues while making sure employee position status and their pay/benefits entitlements are updated correctly, so that the HRIS/HRMS data reports/org charts for permanent and part-time employees in the organization/branch is reliable for day-today operation and fiscal year end statistic.
Fun workable place.
File Clerk, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 April 2016
A typical day involved alts of filing, e-mailing and talking with clients regarding their files. Also lots of making packages for Lawyers, Judges and Attorneys. The hardest part of the job was when clients put the files in the wrong place. The most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with the Lawyers, Judges and Attorneys.
Pros
Working for the Government.
Cons
Busy area to work.
Great place!
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 May 2016
This workplace is amazing, the people are really helpful and work extremely well together. Definitely one of my favourite places that I have worked!
Pros
Great team
good place to work
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 January 2016
typical day was: answering the switchboard, receiving & distributing correspondence, clerical duties, word processing, data entry, dicta-typing.
learnt: dicta-typing, and applying skills learnt at college.
co-workers: were friendly and approachable,
hardest part: hanging up on rude people
enjoyable: working as a team player.
Pros
working as a team
Cons
people who called our ministry office looking for another office.
Very Fun Work To
Court Clerk and Registrar (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 July 2015
Your Co-workers are great to work, always happy and willing to work with you and help you out
Management needs to work on, and when staff needs help and certain days off, management must help out, they should know about their staff, and accommodate everyone
i have learned so much while working at the Court house or working for the Ministry of the Attorney General, I can look up different sections of the Canada Criminal Code of Canada, have a much better understanding of the Code, and Canada Law
Pros
Great Co-workers, Friendly people and great food
Cons
Not enough hours, stressed in some courts
Professional workplace
Court Reporter/Courtroom clerk (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON6 November 2014
This is a career located in a safe, comfortable environment where I am working with a variety of co-workers such as judges, clerks and lawyers.
My co-workers are a friendly group who work together each day to accomplish our goal in serving the public.
I consider it a low stress position, however, in the past I felt it was at times highly stressful.
My position as court reporter is to record the entire proceedings in my courtroom each day and type transcripts as ordered.
The hours and days vary each week, which can either be positive or less so.
Thankfully, the fee we can now charge per page for typing transcripts was increased after decades of staying the same.
Pros
Comfortable setting, day shift only, no weekends.
Cons
Part-time position only.
Excellent place to learn the fundamentals of public sector law practice
Summer Student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 July 2015
I enjoy summering at the Ministry of the Attorney General. My typical day is not the same every day. Inflow of work depends on each day. Most of the day I am involved in drafting of research memos and briefing notes. The work is challenging as well as rewarding. Challenging because of the competing time sensitive turn around requirements. Rewarding because of the knowledge that I am gaining as a student.
My dream job
Court Registrar (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 October 2015
This was a dream job for me. I am like to pay attention to detail and accuracy and this place was ideal. I was very comfortable in the formal environment in the courtroom.
Pros
Excellent people
productive and hardworkng
Administrative/Clerical (Former Employee) –  toronto1 July 2015
A typical day at work required me to deal with social workers and lawyers on a daily basis. I had an excellent rapport with all of my clients. The job did require dealing with a lot of hands on paperwork concerning minors. I had a great team and they were all as equally hardworking as I was. I loved the Manager Pat he was a really easy going but stern manager.
Pros
excellent pay
great place to work for
Client Service Representative (Current Employee) –  London, ON23 July 2012
I enjoyed my employement with the ministry of the attorney general. I would love to work for them again some day. Management were kind and understanding while still running a business. Hardest art of hte job, was continuously keeping up to date with regulation changes and assuring that all staff were completing or accepting paper work as a unity.
Very good working envirnment
QA Analyst/ Software Support (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 June 2014
Good co workers

a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Good work environment
Reporter-Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 October 2013
The best part of working for the Ministry was the co-workers. Everyone was always happy or easy to make happy. I worked closely with judges and they were very pleasant to work with. The hardest part of the job was that we didn't know from week to week how many hours we would get.
Pros
working with friendly/kind people - job interesting
Cons
not enough hours

4.3