Ministry of the Attorney General Employee Reviews

Court reporter
Court Reporter (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON12 July 2017
Great experience to the legal field but since I am unclassified, I do not get benefits. The environment is very pleasant. Every day is different. The most enjoyable part of the job is that you get to meet new people on a daily basis.
Not what you hope for.
Court Reporter (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON9 June 2017
A toxic workplace with weak or no leadership and a union more interested in handing out swag than doing any actual work on behalf of members. There is little hope of actually advancing to anything significant and even if you do you won't be paid much more. Management cares more about having seats filled than with job satisfaction or health and wellness. Ministry will spend thousands of dollars on new chairs before they will offer living wages.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Too many to list.
Court Clerk and Registrar (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON4 May 2017
good place to start career - everyone very willing to help you. Enviroment could be more positive but if you are willing to work hard you will do well.
Hard to adjust to. This applies to 20 plus years ago
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON24 April 2017
Always on edge. Rotating shifts that varied in length from eight to twelve hours. Management thrived on individuals telling on others. Hardest part of job was not being sure if you could trust your co- workers if you were in a situation with inmates that would require assistance. Surviving a shift was the highlight of the day.
Interesting place to work.
Client Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, BM28 March 2017
A very interesting place to work as there is a lot of very complex matters to deal with on a daily basis. Must be able to multitask and prioritize your work on a daily basis.
Pros
Never the same things day after day
Cons
Always very challenging.
Very busy, fast-paced environment
Court Clerk (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 March 2017
Interesting, enjoyable job. Working with this Ministry has many benefits but there are downfalls as well. The job provides a great amount of flexibility.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Not much room for growth
Productive and fun work environment
Legal Secretary (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 February 2017
• Excellent communication, organizational planning, time management and interpersonal skills
• Ability to effectively use tact and judgment in communicating with clients and counsel via phone, fax and email
• Proven ability to interpret and apply relevant rules and procedures as in the Employment Standard Act, 2000, Substitute Decision Act, 2000, and
• Demonstrated proficiency in English with knowledge of legal terminology
• Exceptional ability to manage clerical duties pertinent to law in a timely manner
• Drafting of legal documents such as affidavits, applications, motions and memoranda, orders and notices
• Proven ability to work proactively independently, and as part of a team.
• Demonstrated the ability to conduct, investigate, research, organize and present on pertinent laws, regulations, and legal articles as well proven ability to investigate the facts of a case, analytical thinker and problem solver
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, PCLaw, Westlaw, Time Matters, Digital Dictation and PGTed
football
mobilization of gas (Current Employee) –  Iracard, BC19 November 2016
i love my work so much and i feel the responsibility in my job and i so happy where i service the people and i learned from my last work the respect and the contact with different minds of people >
Pros
free lunches
Cons
12 hours
Gained much valued court experience
Paralegal Field Placement (Former Employee) –  Milton, Burlington7 October 2016
Great opportunity to work with prosecutor. Gained in depth disclosure knowledge and case law application.
Addressing the court was my favorite part of the job.
Acquired a good knowledge of Provincial Offences Act.
if you are looking for a challenge job this is it and the most rewarding
File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 August 2016
A typical day at work depending on your position is you come in go to your desk and start your work. going through your files on your desk, which might include calling clients to obtain missing info & summarizing their file to submit to the director for approval. sometimes u have workshops. u can take lunch whenever u want. Co-workers are wonderful and helpful. My favorite job to work
Pros
the people
Cons
sometimes late hours but that's based on you & your work load
Lots of opportunities
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2016
Every day is different, therefore learn lots. Management and co-workers are supportive. Lots of work to do. Good variety.
A good job when you want a challenge.
Courtroom Clerk/Registrar (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON12 August 2016
A typical day at work would be stressful, lots of paperwork to complete in a timely fashion. This job is not for someone who can't deal with significant stress. Usually had a good relationship with everyone, I felt thankful to have an excellent paying job with benefits. I learned even more about being meticulously organized and working as a team, with someone else in an extremely busy court. My listening skills were sharpened because the paperwork had to be accurate before the Justice would sign, thus making it an order. The most enjoyable part of my job was the people I assisted in so many different ways. I always felt elated when I could change a feeling of despair, into a grateful smile. As for management in a bureaucracy, the very nature of the word tells the story.
Pros
clean environment, good wages and excellent commuting vehicles
Cons
high stress
Invaluable Educational Experience
280 HOURS OF FIELD PLACEMENT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 May 2016
Having the opportunity to participate in field placement at two locations of the Ministry of the Attorney General - the Durham Region Courthouse and Old City Hall - allowed me to gain real insight into how the court system works in Ontario.
Pros
I learned a lot and met some nice people
Cons
Long commute
Great place!
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON2 May 2016
This workplace is amazing, the people are really helpful and work extremely well together. Definitely one of my favourite places that I have worked!
Pros
Great team
Fun workable place.
File Clerk, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 April 2016
A typical day involved alts of filing, e-mailing and talking with clients regarding their files. Also lots of making packages for Lawyers, Judges and Attorneys. The hardest part of the job was when clients put the files in the wrong place. The most enjoyable part of my job was dealing with the Lawyers, Judges and Attorneys.
Pros
Working for the Government.
Cons
Busy area to work.
Great environment to work in
Courtroom Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 April 2016
This was an excellent environment to work in. Although I was only employed here for 6 months for work experience, it was an amazing 6 months spent with some of the most friendly people. Work was repetitive, and a little tedious at times. The hardest part was everyday decisions, as I wasn't trained on how to deal with some issues in the workplace. Overall, great place to work at.
Pros
Amazing environment
Cons
Repetitive work
good place to work
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 January 2016
typical day was: answering the switchboard, receiving & distributing correspondence, clerical duties, word processing, data entry, dicta-typing.
learnt: dicta-typing, and applying skills learnt at college.
co-workers: were friendly and approachable,
hardest part: hanging up on rude people
enjoyable: working as a team player.
Pros
working as a team
Cons
people who called our ministry office looking for another office.
My dream job
Court Registrar (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 October 2015
This was a dream job for me. I am like to pay attention to detail and accuracy and this place was ideal. I was very comfortable in the formal environment in the courtroom.
Pros
Excellent people
Cons
Excellent place to learn the fundamentals of public sector law practice
Summer Student (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 July 2015
I enjoy summering at the Ministry of the Attorney General. My typical day is not the same every day. Inflow of work depends on each day. Most of the day I am involved in drafting of research memos and briefing notes. The work is challenging as well as rewarding. Challenging because of the competing time sensitive turn around requirements. Rewarding because of the knowledge that I am gaining as a student.
Very Fun Work To
Court Clerk and Registrar (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 July 2015
Your Co-workers are great to work, always happy and willing to work with you and help you out
Management needs to work on, and when staff needs help and certain days off, management must help out, they should know about their staff, and accommodate everyone
i have learned so much while working at the Court house or working for the Ministry of the Attorney General, I can look up different sections of the Canada Criminal Code of Canada, have a much better understanding of the Code, and Canada Law
Pros
Great Co-workers, Friendly people and great food
Cons
Not enough hours, stressed in some courts