Ministry of Transportation Employee Reviews in Canada

I enjoyed my 30 years with mto and also enjoy retirement benefits from this provincial government
sign shop foreman (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 29, 2013
several minutes before start time most employees would talk over previous evenings sports etc and then discuss work plans for the day I would then assign the drivers a description of their days work and who would be with them. I would ask each driver if he had questions pertaining to the days work , I would advise them of my whereabouts for the day incase of a problem. The hardest part would be in inclement weather getting to the job site and protecting the work area from the public motorists, the most enjoyable would be the comradery amoungst fellow employees, and the satisfaction of clearly marking out the travel routes for motorists, the distance remaining for their trip and placing curve signs etc in a well situated location in abidance with MTO regulations
Pros
we were paid a meal allowance, and if we were required to work out of town we were compensated for hotel
Cons
worked in all weather
Productive and fun workplace
Collisions Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ONJuly 23, 2013
A typical day is coming in to work going to my desk and signing on my computer. I work all day with reports sorting, batching and online input. I learned every day is different because there are many situation I can come across. Managment is very helpful and encourages the employees. Co-works are great to work with and are very helpful when questions need to be answered or problems that need to be solved.The hardest part of my job is working with multiple years for batching documents as there is thousands of documents I handle on a daily basis but my good organizational skills really come in handy when preparing this part. The most enjoyable part of my job is I get to work with a variety of different tasks in a day.
Great work environment
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJuly 10, 2013
Excellent facilities, helpful management. There was always something to do. They promoted a stress free work environment.
Managers worked well with workers to provide a positive experience
Provincial Permit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BCMay 28, 2013
The position involved shift work. Each shift presented its own challenges.

I learned how to research policies and acts in a fast-paced environment.

My co-workers were eager to provide assistance.

The hardest part of the job was to keep clients happy when they had to wait for long periods of time to get service.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping clients from all over north america.
Pros
supervisors always willing to provide help
Cons
long hours sitting in chair
knowledge of the processes of construction in ground engineering
Researcher (Former Employee) –  WaterlooMarch 27, 2013
• Working with the MTO has made me an expert in both internal and external governmental communications. I have thorough knowledge of the processes of construction in ground engineering projects as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills. My organizational and multitasking abilities are also a good fit with your work culture.
secure and fun place to work
Fleet Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 26, 2013
Comfortable work environment
learned better administration and management skills
cooperative and supportive management
Cooperative and friendly co-workers
Occasional workload and uneven distribution
The job itself
Pros
secure
Cons
uneven workload distribution
Nice work enviroment
Installation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 26, 2013
Nice work environment,
Friendly team partners, enjoyed working in a team of professional and provided to employees of the Ministry.
Pros
good learning experience
Fun place to work
Installation Engineer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 26, 2013
Good team to work with, friendly environment. Good and friendly management. Learned team work and dealing with different clients.
Pros
nice working environment
Productive and providing a valued customer service
Court Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ONFebruary 25, 2013
Positive work enviroment where you learn lots and get to know a variety of different people.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Work
Call Centre opratarions (Former Employee) –  370 king st wFebruary 17, 2013
First day at work not knowing how to deal with systems and people some of the good days where when u got useto the system and figured out how to deal with problems in the system and continue the servey with company policy in mind knowing that u need to collect proper data and not falsify information all the co worksers i had where really helpfull and the most enjoable part of the job was checking my performance score at the end of the day
Pros
helps u think on the spot faster helps build great people skills
Cons
system problems/bugs
Productive and Fun Work Place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 6, 2013
Friendly and diverse environment, great team of individuals
Great learning opportunity for my field of study
Co-op Student - Fleet Management Centre (Former Employee) –  St. CatharinesFebruary 4, 2013
The second time I worked for the MTO as a co-op associate, depending on the month, I learned a lot of administrative duties. A typical day at work when I took charge of administrating the Fleet Management Centre's carpool program which involved dispatching vehicles, creating reservations, and managing unmanned carpools in Thorold and Burlington through the email reservation system. I also learned how to run a competition for co-op students as I helped set up interviews, contacted candidates, set up the testing and did the paperwork that was required after. I enjoyed working with everyone of my co-workers, it was a mature, positive work environment. Management was very supportive. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the carpool program on very busy days when there were no cars available for last minute bookings. The most enjoyable part was the learning experience, the people I met and the memories.
Pros
positive work environment, great learning experience, great staff.
Cons
certain days had heavy workload (carpool was unpredictable certain days).
we all got laid off due to contracting out
Highway General Foreman (Former Employee) –  i worked at pat 13 ormsbyJanuary 5, 2013
it was the best we'd work hard have fun co workers were the best guys most enjoyable part was going in to work
Pros
just a great place to work
Seasonal work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONNovember 26, 2012
My first work experiences and it was a good one. I worked as a sales agent. Completed 200+ tender forms on behalf of company
Productive and fun planned office parties
Collection Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, OntarioNovember 5, 2012
A typical day at work for me is to first look at the work load , then I prioritize how I'm gonna sort out my work , so that I can meet my required target. I give myself a certain time range to finish a task .At my current job I dont really interact with my co workers too much as we are usually from different teams unless there is a computer problem. The hardest part of job is to manage the stress level effectively and by doing so , I usually sit for around two hours at a time then I would get gt up and go for small walks and then start back my work. The most ejoyable part of my job is that I work independently and unspervised .
Pros
potlocks planned with the department, and lunch on behalf of the company
Cons
working holidays
Work was great I enjoyed all of my positions in the company and the people I worked with.
Safety & Compliance Jr. Administrator TFI (Current Employee) –  etobicoke, OnAugust 13, 2012
I would come in start my day by logging on to the computer going through my emails answering any that I could right away and organizing the priorities of what needed to be done for the day. I would then start but finding out which of my accounts required appointments for the day and start calling or emailing my customers to book any appointment. After I completed the appointment requesting, I would then start on my Safety and Compliance and work the both of them within my day. I had to work alone most of the day, but when needed my managers were there for me to answer any questions I had.
The hardest part of the job was the waiting for a reply from the customers.
The best was going to work to see my co-workers who made the work day so much easier.
free transportation and many benefits
Record Manager (Former Employee) –  CalgaryJuly 15, 2012
process internal transactions; ensure each transaction is signed by the proper authority; assist in the selection by the and approval of acquisitions and contracts done by the department.
benefits
Cons
i quit to come to canada
cordial environment, great opportunities for learning and development
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONMarch 29, 2012
provides a great opportunity to work for the public and you get to see the impact of your work everyday
Cons
you dont own this job