Ministry of Transportation Employee Reviews

Great Experience-COOP
Operations-Inspector (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 August 2015
Comfortable work place, nobody pushes you to do your job, learn new skills or try hard, but if you take some initiative, the learning experiences are endless and valuable.
Pros
Expense lunch when 25+ km from HQ
Cons
Rare Opportunities for OT
Working for the Ministry of Transportation is very satisfying work
Senior Policy Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2015
Working for the Canadian Federal Government and the Ministry of Transportation was a very fulfilling experience due to the challenging and varied work.
Pros
Room for advancement, free workshops, paid courses in your area of expertise
Cons
I cannot think of any cons
A great learning experience full of exciting opportunities and challenges on a daily basis.
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 April 2015
A typical day at work began at 8:30 am. I was in charge of a monthly (on average) newsletter as well as an integral part of several working groups. Therefore I would spend the first hour or hour and a half of most days responding to emails I had received since the day prior. For the rest of the day I would be in touch with my working groups in order to assemble content for our newsletters while dealing with another working group in order to create and propagate new content for the website I was working on. As I was in the public sector, I had to send most of my public facing work to management for approvals.

Due to communication being a large part of my job, I learned the importance of effective and clear communication with managers and co-workers. Without effective communication between all parties involved, you risk wasted time and unnecessary redundancy.

The hardest part of my job was fairly integrating everyone's suggestions within the work I was in charge of. Whether it be from those contributing to my newsletter or to the content and aesthetic of the website.

The most enjoyable part of my job was to hear positive feedback about the content I created from co-workers and managers who viewed the body of work I came up with. Whether it be my newsletters, the website, or even a summary of feedback from staff responses to a mentoring program.
Pros
Regular working hours 9-5, consistent work load
Cons
approval process often took time away from moving forward
Good Work Environment
System Tester/QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 March 2015
Challenging work environment. Always something new to learn. Positive professional growth, Ministry of transportation gave me working for multi-million dollar projects and gave good exposure in different areas of the SDLC
Productive and Fun place with cards game in lunch time :D
Office Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Downsview, ON18 March 2015
Very helpful co-workers, gives you a good chance to know more about how our Ministry system works. A good place to start for students - Check out summer student positions every Spring.
Pros
Flexible time
Cons
Old System to work on
Very Good
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto27 October 2014
Excellent opportunity to learn and work with different technologies
Not bad but could be better
Pavement Evaluation Technician (Current Employee) –  Downsview23 July 2014
A typical day at work is not bad, very flexible. In my experience I have had very good managers that not only allowed us to develop our program but worked very hard to work with us to cut through red tape.

Our building is very old (not the case for every ministry office in Ontario). Not an ideal environment for advancement in the ministry. Office environment is not maintained very well and bureaucracy is everywhere making it very hard to update or change policy.
Administration
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  North York17 June 2014
Every day brings a new set of challenges, never know what is coming next.
Pros
Great Benefits and supportive environment
Cons
Difficult to advance in career
Friendly
Technical Lead , Service Operations Office (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 May 2014
complex systems, a lot of applications, mostly java , oracle and ibm shop. a great place to grow and learn more
Middleware Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ontario19 April 2014
MTO is a great place to work. There are a lot of opportunities to grow and gain experience in different technical areas.
Pleasant Experience
Systems Tester (Former Employee) –  1201 Wilson Ave18 March 2014
My experience was one of technical skills learned without book help.
On the job training.
file clerk
Support Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  scarborough14 March 2014
my typical day was to pull out and print data from the microfish. i learned to use the microfish, learned how to pull drivers information fro data base, management was very feindly and amazing, nicest bosses I have ever had. The co-workers very friendly. The hardest part of the job was the documents ahd to be very accurate they were going to court. the most enjoyable job was working with the police officers.
Pros
i very enjoyed working with thte police officers
Overall great work exoerance
Costumer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 November 2013
Job is very repetitive, although you gain a great deal of knowledge about work related information everyday, This enhance your knowledge at work and outside related tasks, Most enjoyable part of the job was co-workers, work environment is friendly at most times, management is not very cooperative with the staff the level of communication between in far beyond explainable, no communication between management and employees, no understanding, a great deal of miscommunication due to all these factors.
Poor place to work. It's not what you know its who you know
District Development Technicians (Former Employee) –  Nelson, BC6 August 2013
Find another place to work. Very bad management and culture
Pros
Was the retirement package
Cons
Very poor management
I enjoyed my 30 years with mto and also enjoy retirement benefits from this provincial government
sign shop foreman (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 July 2013
several minutes before start time most employees would talk over previous evenings sports etc and then discuss work plans for the day I would then assign the drivers a description of their days work and who would be with them. I would ask each driver if he had questions pertaining to the days work , I would advise them of my whereabouts for the day incase of a problem. The hardest part would be in inclement weather getting to the job site and protecting the work area from the public motorists, the most enjoyable would be the comradery amoungst fellow employees, and the satisfaction of clearly marking out the travel routes for motorists, the distance remaining for their trip and placing curve signs etc in a well situated location in abidance with MTO regulations
Pros
we were paid a meal allowance, and if we were required to work out of town we were compensated for hotel
Cons
worked in all weather
Productive and fun workplace
Collisions Processing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kingston, ON23 July 2013
A typical day is coming in to work going to my desk and signing on my computer. I work all day with reports sorting, batching and online input. I learned every day is different because there are many situation I can come across. Managment is very helpful and encourages the employees. Co-works are great to work with and are very helpful when questions need to be answered or problems that need to be solved.The hardest part of my job is working with multiple years for batching documents as there is thousands of documents I handle on a daily basis but my good organizational skills really come in handy when preparing this part. The most enjoyable part of my job is I get to work with a variety of different tasks in a day.
Great work environment
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 July 2013
Excellent facilities, helpful management. There was always something to do. They promoted a stress free work environment.
Managers worked well with workers to provide a positive experience
Provincial Permit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC28 May 2013
The position involved shift work. Each shift presented its own challenges.

I learned how to research policies and acts in a fast-paced environment.

My co-workers were eager to provide assistance.

The hardest part of the job was to keep clients happy when they had to wait for long periods of time to get service.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping clients from all over north america.
Pros
Supervisors always willing to provide help
Cons
long hours sitting in chair
knowledge of the processes of construction in ground engineering
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Waterloo27 March 2013
• Working with the MTO has made me an expert in both internal and external governmental communications. I have thorough knowledge of the processes of construction in ground engineering projects as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills. My organizational and multitasking abilities are also a good fit with your work culture.
secure and fun place to work
Fleet Administrator (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 March 2013
Comfortable work environment
learned better administration and management skills
cooperative and supportive management
Cooperative and friendly co-workers
Occasional workload and uneven distribution
The job itself
Pros
secure
Cons
uneven workload distribution