Ministry of Transportation Employee Reviews

Productive and enjoyable work atmosphere
Network Engineering Specialist - Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONDecember 7, 2015
Fast growing company with lots of projects on the go. New technologies, promoting from within and great people. I've enjoyed most days working here
Pros
Government budgets
Cons
Unionized workers
PRODUCTIVE EXPERIANCE
Designer 2 (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONDecember 6, 2015
GREAT EXPERIENCE-TEAMWORK- EFFECTIVE WORK -FUN TIMES- RESPONSIBILITY - CHALLENGING WORK- MEETING DEADLINES- PROBLEM SOLVING
The most enjoyable part of the job.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONSeptember 30, 2015
Management were supportive, great training program to assist you with learning your position. Giving guidance to assist customers with their licensing requirements.
Pros
Co-workers, ongoing training, working with the public
it was a great experience when i was a student
Summer student (Former Employee) –  kingston - ONSeptember 28, 2015
The environment was great working there, the experience that i have from the company is very valuable and willing to apply it everywhere.
Good Dynamic
Office Administrator Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. CatharinesSeptember 22, 2015
This ministry is a nice place to work. Fun dynamic and team players that were open to help at all times. I communicated with customers over fax, e-mail, courier mail, and the telephone in order to complete applications. I would enter this information into a computer. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I was on my feet delivering mail and meeting new people. The hardest part of my job was having limited access to computer programs which I feel I could have utilized.
productive and fun to work there
Sr. QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AbAugust 27, 2015
Good place to learn about ministry domain. nice work environment slow and steady development.
good working hours enjoyable environments
Pros
fun team with hours for games
Cons
nothing
Great Experience-COOP
Operations-Inspector (Former Employee) –  London, ONAugust 4, 2015
Comfortable work place, nobody pushes you to do your job, learn new skills or try hard, but if you take some initiative, the learning experiences are endless and valuable.
Pros
Expense lunch when 25+ km from HQ
Cons
Rare Opportunities for OT
A great learning experience full of exciting opportunities and challenges on a daily basis.
Summer Student (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 3, 2015
A typical day at work began at 8:30 am. I was in charge of a monthly (on average) newsletter as well as an integral part of several working groups. Therefore I would spend the first hour or hour and a half of most days responding to emails I had received since the day prior. For the rest of the day I would be in touch with my working groups in order to assemble content for our newsletters while dealing with another working group in order to create and propagate new content for the website I was working on. As I was in the public sector, I had to send most of my public facing work to management for approvals.

Due to communication being a large part of my job, I learned the importance of effective and clear communication with managers and co-workers. Without effective communication between all parties involved, you risk wasted time and unnecessary redundancy.

The hardest part of my job was fairly integrating everyone's suggestions within the work I was in charge of. Whether it be from those contributing to my newsletter or to the content and aesthetic of the website.

The most enjoyable part of my job was to hear positive feedback about the content I created from co-workers and managers who viewed the body of work I came up with. Whether it be my newsletters, the website, or even a summary of feedback from staff responses to a mentoring program.
Pros
Regular working hours 9-5, consistent work load
Cons
approval process often took time away from moving forward
Good Work Environment
System Tester/QA Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMarch 19, 2015
Challenging work environment. Always something new to learn. Positive professional growth, Ministry of transportation gave me working for multi-million dollar projects and gave good exposure in different areas of the SDLC
Productive and Fun place with cards game in lunch time :D
Office Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Downsview, ONMarch 18, 2015
Very helpful co-workers, gives you a good chance to know more about how our Ministry system works. A good place to start for students - Check out summer student positions every Spring.
Pros
flexible time
Cons
old system to work on
Very Good
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  TorontoOctober 27, 2014
Excellent opportunity to learn and work with different technologies
Not bad but could be better
Pavement Evaluation Technician (Current Employee) –  DownsviewJuly 23, 2014
A typical day at work is not bad, very flexible. In my experience I have had very good managers that not only allowed us to develop our program but worked very hard to work with us to cut through red tape.

Our building is very old (not the case for every ministry office in Ontario). Not an ideal environment for advancement in the ministry. Office environment is not maintained very well and bureaucracy is everywhere making it very hard to update or change policy.
Administration
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  North YorkJune 17, 2014
Every day brings a new set of challenges, never know what is coming next.
Pros
great benefits and supportive environment
Cons
difficult to advance in career
Friendly
Technical Lead , Service Operations Office (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 27, 2014
complex systems, a lot of applications, mostly java , oracle and ibm shop. a great place to grow and learn more
Middleware Analyst (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ontarioApril 19, 2014
MTO is a great place to work. There are a lot of opportunities to grow and gain experience in different technical areas.
Pleasant Experience
Systems Tester (Former Employee) –  1201 Wilson AveMarch 18, 2014
My experience was one of technical skills learned without book help.
On the job training.
file clerk
Support Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  scarboroughMarch 14, 2014
my typical day was to pull out and print data from the microfish. i learned to use the microfish, learned how to pull drivers information fro data base, management was very feindly and amazing, nicest bosses I have ever had. The co-workers very friendly. The hardest part of the job was the documents ahd to be very accurate they were going to court. the most enjoyable job was working with the police officers.
Pros
i very enjoyed working with thte police officers
Overall great work exoerance
Costumer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONNovember 3, 2013
Job is very repetitive, although you gain a great deal of knowledge about work related information everyday, This enhance your knowledge at work and outside related tasks, Most enjoyable part of the job was co-workers, work environment is friendly at most times, management is not very cooperative with the staff the level of communication between in far beyond explainable, no communication between management and employees, no understanding, a great deal of miscommunication due to all these factors.
Poor place to work. It's not what you know its who you know
District Development Technicians (Former Employee) –  Nelson, BCAugust 6, 2013
Find another place to work. Very bad management and culture
Pros
was the retirement package
Cons
very poor management
I enjoyed my 30 years with mto and also enjoy retirement benefits from this provincial government
sign shop foreman (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJuly 29, 2013
several minutes before start time most employees would talk over previous evenings sports etc and then discuss work plans for the day I would then assign the drivers a description of their days work and who would be with them. I would ask each driver if he had questions pertaining to the days work , I would advise them of my whereabouts for the day incase of a problem. The hardest part would be in inclement weather getting to the job site and protecting the work area from the public motorists, the most enjoyable would be the comradery amoungst fellow employees, and the satisfaction of clearly marking out the travel routes for motorists, the distance remaining for their trip and placing curve signs etc in a well situated location in abidance with MTO regulations
Pros
we were paid a meal allowance, and if we were required to work out of town we were compensated for hotel
Cons
worked in all weather