Ministry of Transportation Employee Reviews

Great
Policy and Programs Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2016
Amazing team with good friends made. Versatile work and lots of support from staff. Great positive culture and ideas were heard and listened to.
Pros
Ideas were heard, great positive atmosphere, friendly people, interesting projects
Cons
Sometimes slow
Materials Engineering and Research Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 September 2016
The main structure of the minister is very solid with a lot of good professional. Some of them very dedicated to his work. Good place to acquire knowledge.
Cons
Very political
Great place to work security in training
Outside Examiner (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON17 May 2016
Always trained to perfection on a regular bases kept all Driver Examiners safe and consistent. Salary and benefits are excellent. The best conflict resolution keeping everything fair and above board.
Pros
wearing uniforms
Cons
it was a great place to work
General Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 February 2016
I overseen Contractors to make sure the work was completed to the Contract Documents. My area was from the Quebec Border on Highway 401 to Cambden East west of Kingston, Highway 417 Quebec Border to Arnprior, Highway 17 from Arnprior to Petawawa, Highway 15 from Carleton Place to Highway 401. I worked with our Traffic and Construction Offices to ensure that signs were installed as per Contract documents. I ordered signs for all areas and ensured the signs were installed as per OTM Book 4, 5, and 6.
Pros
I was allowed to organize my work and travel alone.
Cons
It was a large area to look after by one person
Good Dynamic
Office Administrator Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines22 September 2015
This ministry is a nice place to work. Fun dynamic and team players that were open to help at all times. I communicated with customers over fax, e-mail, courier mail, and the telephone in order to complete applications. I would enter this information into a computer. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I was on my feet delivering mail and meeting new people. The hardest part of my job was having limited access to computer programs which I feel I could have utilized.
Productive and enjoyable work atmosphere
Network Engineering Specialist - Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 December 2015
Fast growing company with lots of projects on the go. New technologies, promoting from within and great people. I've enjoyed most days working here
Pros
Government budgets
Cons
Unionized workers
The most enjoyable part of the job.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 September 2015
Management were supportive, great training program to assist you with learning your position. Giving guidance to assist customers with their licensing requirements.
Pros
Co-workers, ongoing training, working with the public
PRODUCTIVE EXPERIANCE
Designer 2 (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON6 December 2015
GREAT EXPERIENCE-TEAMWORK- EFFECTIVE WORK -FUN TIMES- RESPONSIBILITY - CHALLENGING WORK- MEETING DEADLINES- PROBLEM SOLVING
Great Experience-COOP
Operations-Inspector (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 August 2015
Comfortable work place, nobody pushes you to do your job, learn new skills or try hard, but if you take some initiative, the learning experiences are endless and valuable.
Pros
Expense lunch when 25+ km from HQ
Cons
Rare Opportunities for OT
it was a great experience when i was a student
Summer student (Former Employee) –  kingston - ON28 September 2015
The environment was great working there, the experience that i have from the company is very valuable and willing to apply it everywhere.
productive and fun to work there
Sr. QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Ab27 August 2015
Good place to learn about ministry domain. nice work environment slow and steady development.
good working hours enjoyable environments
Pros
fun team with hours for games
Cons
nothing
Not bad but could be better
Pavement Evaluation Technician (Current Employee) –  Downsview23 July 2014
A typical day at work is not bad, very flexible. In my experience I have had very good managers that not only allowed us to develop our program but worked very hard to work with us to cut through red tape.

Our building is very old (not the case for every ministry office in Ontario). Not an ideal environment for advancement in the ministry. Office environment is not maintained very well and bureaucracy is everywhere making it very hard to update or change policy.
file clerk
Support Services Clerk (Former Employee) –  scarborough14 March 2014
my typical day was to pull out and print data from the microfish. i learned to use the microfish, learned how to pull drivers information fro data base, management was very feindly and amazing, nicest bosses I have ever had. The co-workers very friendly. The hardest part of the job was the documents ahd to be very accurate they were going to court. the most enjoyable job was working with the police officers.
Pros
i very enjoyed working with thte police officers
Overall great work exoerance
Costumer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 November 2013
Job is very repetitive, although you gain a great deal of knowledge about work related information everyday, This enhance your knowledge at work and outside related tasks, Most enjoyable part of the job was co-workers, work environment is friendly at most times, management is not very cooperative with the staff the level of communication between in far beyond explainable, no communication between management and employees, no understanding, a great deal of miscommunication due to all these factors.
Managers worked well with workers to provide a positive experience
Provincial Permit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dawson Creek, BC28 May 2013
The position involved shift work. Each shift presented its own challenges.

I learned how to research policies and acts in a fast-paced environment.

My co-workers were eager to provide assistance.

The hardest part of the job was to keep clients happy when they had to wait for long periods of time to get service.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping clients from all over north america.
Pros
Supervisors always willing to provide help
Cons
long hours sitting in chair
Work
Call Centre opratarions (Former Employee) –  370 king st w17 February 2013
First day at work not knowing how to deal with systems and people some of the good days where when u got useto the system and figured out how to deal with problems in the system and continue the servey with company policy in mind knowing that u need to collect proper data and not falsify information all the co worksers i had where really helpfull and the most enjoable part of the job was checking my performance score at the end of the day
Pros
helps u think on the spot faster helps build great people skills
Cons
system problems/bugs
Productive and fun planned office parties
Collection Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, Ontario5 November 2012
A typical day at work for me is to first look at the work load , then I prioritize how I'm gonna sort out my work , so that I can meet my required target. I give myself a certain time range to finish a task .At my current job I dont really interact with my co workers too much as we are usually from different teams unless there is a computer problem. The hardest part of job is to manage the stress level effectively and by doing so , I usually sit for around two hours at a time then I would get gt up and go for small walks and then start back my work. The most ejoyable part of my job is that I work independently and unspervised .
Pros
potlocks planned with the department, and lunch on behalf of the company
Cons
working holidays
knowledge of the processes of construction in ground engineering
Researcher (Former Employee) –  Waterloo27 March 2013
• Working with the MTO has made me an expert in both internal and external governmental communications. I have thorough knowledge of the processes of construction in ground engineering projects as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills. My organizational and multitasking abilities are also a good fit with your work culture.
Work was great I enjoyed all of my positions in the company and the people I worked with.
Safety & Compliance Jr. Administrator TFI (Current Employee) –  etobicoke, On13 August 2012
I would come in start my day by logging on to the computer going through my emails answering any that I could right away and organizing the priorities of what needed to be done for the day. I would then start but finding out which of my accounts required appointments for the day and start calling or emailing my customers to book any appointment. After I completed the appointment requesting, I would then start on my Safety and Compliance and work the both of them within my day. I had to work alone most of the day, but when needed my managers were there for me to answer any questions I had.
The hardest part of the job was the waiting for a reply from the customers.
The best was going to work to see my co-workers who made the work day so much easier.
Productive and Fun place with cards game in lunch time :D
Office Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Downsview, ON18 March 2015
Very helpful co-workers, gives you a good chance to know more about how our Ministry system works. A good place to start for students - Check out summer student positions every Spring.
Pros
Flexible time
Cons
Old System to work on