Ministry of Transportation Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
it was a great place to work
General Services Coordinator (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONFebruary 11, 2016
Pros: I was allowed to organize my work and travel alone.
Cons: It was a large area to look after by one person
I overseen Contractors to make sure the work was completed to the Contract Documents. My area was from the Quebec Border on Highway 401 to Cambden East west of Kingston, Highway 417 Quebec Border to Arnprior, Highway 17 from Arnprior to Petawawa, Highway 15 from Carleton Place to Highway 401. I worked with our Traffic and Construction Offices to ensure that signs were installed as per Contract documents. I ordered signs for all areas and ensured the signs were installed as per OTM Book 4, 5, and 6.
Productive and enjoyable work atmosphere
Network Engineering Specialist - Infrastructure (Current Employee), Toronto, ONDecember 7, 2015
Pros: Government budgets
Cons: Unionized workers
Fast growing company with lots of projects on the go. New technologies, promoting from within and great people. I've enjoyed most days working here
Good Dynamic
Office Administrator Assistant (Former Employee), St. CatharinesSeptember 22, 2015
This ministry is a nice place to work. Fun dynamic and team players that were open to help at all times. I communicated with customers over fax, e-mail, courier mail, and the telephone in order to complete applications. I would enter this information into a computer. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I was on my feet delivering mail and meeting new people. The hardest part of my job was having limited access to computer programs which I feel I could have utilized.
The most enjoyable part of the job.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONSeptember 30, 2015
Pros: Co-workers, ongoing training, working with the public
Management were supportive, great training program to assist you with learning your position. Giving guidance to assist customers with their licensing requirements.
PRODUCTIVE EXPERIANCE
Designer 2 (Former Employee), St. Catharines, ONDecember 6, 2015
GREAT EXPERIENCE-TEAMWORK- EFFECTIVE WORK -FUN TIMES- RESPONSIBILITY - CHALLENGING WORK- MEETING DEADLINES- PROBLEM SOLVING
it was a great experience when i was a student
Summer student (Former Employee), kingston - ONSeptember 28, 2015
The environment was great working there, the experience that i have from the company is very valuable and willing to apply it everywhere.
productive and fun to work there
Sr. QA Analyst (Former Employee), Edmonton, AbAugust 27, 2015
Pros: fun team with hours for games
Cons: nothing
Good place to learn about ministry domain. nice work environment slow and steady development.
good working hours enjoyable environments
Great Experience-COOP
Operations-Inspector (Former Employee), London, ONAugust 4, 2015
Pros: Expense lunch when 25+ km from HQ
Cons: Rare Opportunities for OT
Comfortable work place, nobody pushes you to do your job, learn new skills or try hard, but if you take some initiative, the learning experiences are endless and valuable.
Administration
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), North YorkJune 17, 2014
Pros: great benefits and supportive environment
Cons: difficult to advance in career
Every day brings a new set of challenges, never know what is coming next.
free transportation and many benefits
Record Manager (Former Employee), CalgaryJuly 15, 2012
Pros: benefits
Cons: i quit to come to canada
process internal transactions; ensure each transaction is signed by the proper authority; assist in the selection by the and approval of acquisitions and contracts done by the department.
A great learning experience full of exciting opportunities and challenges on a daily basis.
Summer Student (Former Employee), Toronto, ONApril 3, 2015
Pros: Regular working hours 9-5, consistent work load
Cons: approval process often took time away from moving forward
A typical day at work began at 8:30 am. I was in charge of a monthly (on average) newsletter as well as an integral part of several working groups. Therefore I would spend the first hour or hour and a half of most days responding to emails I had received since the day prior. For the rest of the day I would be in touch with my working groups in order to assemble content for our newsletters while dealing with another working group in order to create and propagate new content for the website I was working on. As I was in the public sector, I had to send most of my public facing work to management for approvals.

Due to communication being a large part of my job, I learned the importance of effective and clear communication with managers and co-workers. Without effective communication between all parties involved, you risk wasted time and unnecessary redundancy.

The hardest part of my job was fairly integrating everyone's suggestions within the work I was in charge of. Whether it be from those contributing to my newsletter or to the content and aesthetic of the website.

The most enjoyable part of my job was to hear positive feedback about the content I created from co-workers and managers who viewed the body of work I came up with. Whether it be my newsletters, the website, or even a summary of feedback from staff responses to a mentoring program.
Good Work Environment
System Tester/QA Analyst (Current Employee), Toronto, ONMarch 19, 2015
Challenging work environment. Always something new to learn. Positive professional growth, Ministry of transportation gave me working for multi-million dollar projects and gave good exposure in different areas of the SDLC
Productive and Fun place with cards game in lunch time :D
Office Assistant (Contract) (Former Employee), Downsview, ONMarch 18, 2015
Pros: flexible time
Cons: old system to work on
Very helpful co-workers, gives you a good chance to know more about how our Ministry system works. A good place to start for students - Check out summer student positions every Spring.
Not bad but could be better
Pavement Evaluation Technician (Current Employee), DownsviewJuly 23, 2014
A typical day at work is not bad, very flexible. In my experience I have had very good managers that not only allowed us to develop our program but worked very hard to work with us to cut through red tape.

Our building is very old (not the case for every ministry office in Ontario). Not an ideal environment for advancement in the ministry. Office environment is not maintained very well and bureaucracy is everywhere making it very hard to update or change policy.
Managers worked well with workers to provide a positive experience
Provincial Permit Clerk (Former Employee), Dawson Creek, BCMay 28, 2013
Pros: supervisors always willing to provide help
Cons: long hours sitting in chair
The position involved shift work. Each shift presented its own challenges.

I learned how to research policies and acts in a fast-paced environment.

My co-workers were eager to provide assistance.

The hardest part of the job was to keep clients happy when they had to wait for long periods of time to get service.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping clients from all over north america.
Overall great work exoerance
Costumer Service Agent (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONNovember 3, 2013
Job is very repetitive, although you gain a great deal of knowledge about work related information everyday, This enhance your knowledge at work and outside related tasks, Most enjoyable part of the job was co-workers, work environment is friendly at most times, management is not very cooperative with the staff the level of communication between in far beyond explainable, no communication between management and employees, no understanding, a great deal of miscommunication due to all these factors.
Great learning opportunity for my field of study
Co-op Student - Fleet Management Centre (Former Employee), St. CatharinesFebruary 4, 2013
Pros: positive work environment, great learning experience, great staff.
Cons: certain days had heavy workload (carpool was unpredictable certain days).
The second time I worked for the MTO as a co-op associate, depending on the month, I learned a lot of administrative duties. A typical day at work when I took charge of administrating the Fleet Management Centre's carpool program which involved dispatching vehicles, creating reservations, and managing unmanned carpools in Thorold and Burlington through the email reservation system. I also learned how to run a competition for co-op students as I helped set up interviews, contacted candidates, set up the testing and did the paperwork that was required after. I enjoyed working with everyone of my co-workers, it was a mature, positive work environment. Management was very supportive. The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the carpool program on very busy days when there were no cars available for last minute bookings. The most enjoyable part was the learning experience, the people I met and the memories.
file clerk
Support Services Clerk (Former Employee), scarboroughMarch 14, 2014
Pros: i very enjoyed working with thte police officers
my typical day was to pull out and print data from the microfish. i learned to use the microfish, learned how to pull drivers information fro data base, management was very feindly and amazing, nicest bosses I have ever had. The co-workers very friendly. The hardest part of the job was the documents ahd to be very accurate they were going to court. the most enjoyable job was working with the police officers.
Work was great I enjoyed all of my positions in the company and the people I worked with.
Safety & Compliance Jr. Administrator TFI (Current Employee), etobicoke, OnAugust 13, 2012
I would come in start my day by logging on to the computer going through my emails answering any that I could right away and organizing the priorities of what needed to be done for the day. I would then start but finding out which of my accounts required appointments for the day and start calling or emailing my customers to book any appointment. After I completed the appointment requesting, I would then start on my Safety and Compliance and work the both of them within my day. I had to work alone most of the day, but when needed my managers were there for me to answer any questions I had.
The hardest part of the job was the waiting for a reply from the customers.
The best was going to work to see my co-workers who made the work day so much easier.
Productive and fun workplace
Collisions Processing Clerk (Current Employee), Kingston, ONJuly 23, 2013
A typical day is coming in to work going to my desk and signing on my computer. I work all day with reports sorting, batching and online input. I learned every day is different because there are many situation I can come across. Managment is very helpful and encourages the employees. Co-works are great to work with and are very helpful when questions need to be answered or problems that need to be solved.The hardest part of my job is working with multiple years for batching documents as there is thousands of documents I handle on a daily basis but my good organizational skills really come in handy when preparing this part. The most enjoyable part of my job is I get to work with a variety of different tasks in a day.