Ministry of Transportation Employee Reviews

Worked there in a student position
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON5 December 2017
Completed a co-op work term there in college. Everyone was very good to me and the work was easy. Very casual and comfortable work environment. Gained some experience in an office environment.
Contract Services Inspector (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON28 November 2017
I really enjoyed this position as it was rarely the same thing twice. Always a different job to go to and people to meet. People were good to work with and they have good staff.
Well managed and relaxing.
Electrical Engineering Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 October 2017
The job environment in MTO is nice and relaxing. Job assignments are clear and well-organized. The workload is appropriate that totally could balance life and work very well.
Everybody was friendly and very helpful.
Temporary Worker (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON19 October 2017
I was working for a temp agency, assisting with entering data into the filing program so that the info in the files could be sent to warehouse and kept track of in case of later need to be found.
Pros
friendly work environment
Cons
was only on temporary basis.
This is a fun place to work. We work as a team and everyone gets on well with each other.
Customer Service Rep/Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 September 2017
Friendly atmosphere. Excellent co-workers. Wonderful place to work.
Managers are understanding and easy to work with.

Enjoyable part of the job is attending to the public and assisting them with inquiries, paperwork, etc.
Pros
Great facilities, lunch room, everyone's birthday is celebrated.
Cons
Very hectic at times due to walk in people looking for alternate information.
Loved working here
CVOR Processing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON20 September 2017
It was a good place to work, I only left to go make more money somewhere else. It was a government job so you had to be permanent full time to get benefits.
Pros
Good pay for what I did
Cons
I wasn't full-time so no benefits for me
Great environment
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2017
Government jobs are exactly how people perceive them to be. Relaxed no pressure and friendly. Just get your job done and correctly and everything will be fine
Contract position - insufficient duration for accurate assessment.
Sr. Programmer/Analyst (contract) (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2017
Contract position - insufficient duration for accurate assessment. Mainframe assignment specifications were sparse. Major assignment was desktop workstation setup documentation of software installed on 32-bit Windows 7 versus new 64-bit Windows 10 machines.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Office environment is very primitive.
salmon arm security
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BC31 January 2017
There was a lot of hours during the summer months, patrolling the city, monitoring the North Shuwsap Parks and offering security for the local Ministry of Transporation work site. However, the hours dropped drastically in the autumn and winter months.
Pros
Steady work during the summer
Cons
Hardly any work in the autumn and winter
Great atmosphere
Surveyor / Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Sheppard ave31 January 2017
Very flexible hours, great people, made some good friends and enough pay to get me through... wish it could have been a longer contract
Great
Policy and Programs Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 September 2016
Amazing team with good friends made. Versatile work and lots of support from staff. Great positive culture and ideas were heard and listened to.
Pros
Ideas were heard, great positive atmosphere, friendly people, interesting projects
Cons
Sometimes slow
Materials Engineering and Research Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 September 2016
The main structure of the minister is very solid with a lot of good professional. Some of them very dedicated to his work. Good place to acquire knowledge.
Cons
Very political
Great place to work security in training
Outside Examiner (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON17 May 2016
Always trained to perfection on a regular bases kept all Driver Examiners safe and consistent. Salary and benefits are excellent. The best conflict resolution keeping everything fair and above board.
Pros
wearing uniforms
Cons
it was a great place to work
General Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 February 2016
I overseen Contractors to make sure the work was completed to the Contract Documents. My area was from the Quebec Border on Highway 401 to Cambden East west of Kingston, Highway 417 Quebec Border to Arnprior, Highway 17 from Arnprior to Petawawa, Highway 15 from Carleton Place to Highway 401. I worked with our Traffic and Construction Offices to ensure that signs were installed as per Contract documents. I ordered signs for all areas and ensured the signs were installed as per OTM Book 4, 5, and 6.
Pros
I was allowed to organize my work and travel alone.
Cons
It was a large area to look after by one person
Productive and enjoyable work atmosphere
Network Engineering Specialist - Infrastructure (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 December 2015
Fast growing company with lots of projects on the go. New technologies, promoting from within and great people. I've enjoyed most days working here
Pros
Government budgets
Cons
Unionized workers
Productive experiance
Designer 2 (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON6 December 2015
Great experience-teamwork- effective work -fun times- responsibility - challenging work- meeting deadlines- problem solving
The most enjoyable part of the job.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 September 2015
Management were supportive, great training program to assist you with learning your position. Giving guidance to assist customers with their licensing requirements.
Pros
Co-workers, ongoing training, working with the public
it was a great experience when i was a student
Summer student (Former Employee) –  kingston - ON28 September 2015
The environment was great working there, the experience that i have from the company is very valuable and willing to apply it everywhere.
Good Dynamic
Office Administrator Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines22 September 2015
This ministry is a nice place to work. Fun dynamic and team players that were open to help at all times. I communicated with customers over fax, e-mail, courier mail, and the telephone in order to complete applications. I would enter this information into a computer. The most enjoyable part of my job was when I was on my feet delivering mail and meeting new people. The hardest part of my job was having limited access to computer programs which I feel I could have utilized.
productive and fun to work there
Sr. QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, Ab27 August 2015
Good place to learn about ministry domain. nice work environment slow and steady development.
good working hours enjoyable environments
Pros
fun team with hours for games
Cons
nothing