Ministry of Natural Resources Employee Reviews in Canada

Working at Algonquin Park has provided me with many skills in planning, supervising, maintenance, and endurance.
Canoe Route Technician (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONJanuary 7, 2016
The role of Canoe Route Technician involves camping, canoeing, and portaging in all weather conditions throughout Algonquin Park. A typical day would involve planning a route through the park to conduct maintenance as well as organizing and instructing the maintenance students in a way that maximizes productivity but still ensure their safety. The hardest part of the job is extreme weather and temperature conditions, insects, and long camping trips. Although these prove to be tough, working hard to complete a task while being able to camp and enjoy nature is truly rewarding. The skills I have learned while working in Algonquin park are incomparable.
Pros
Meal compensation
Helping to prevent forest fires
Auxiliary Fire Staff (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONJuly 28, 2016
Working long hours doing hard physical labour sure helps to get you into shape! We tested all the fire equipment that would come back from the front lines, and made sure it was cleaned and repaired before it was shipped back out. Working such long hours would also help you get to know the people you worked with quite well. Management was great, always getting involved in our jobs and never making us do something that they wouldn't do themselves. The hardest part of the job was working really long hours for 3 weeks at a time with only 1 or 2 days off in between. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my co-workers. I have lifelong friends from working for the MNR.
Pros
Work with great people
Cons
Productive and Fun Filled Job!
Summer Help. (Former Employee) –  Grey Lake, ONJanuary 10, 2016
Loved this summer job!
Lots of variety and learned alot of new skills that will stay with me for life.
Management was fantastic to work with.
Co-workers were great and some became life long friends.
Hardest part of job was fire fighting. Didn't reaslise you would get a burn, like a sunburn, from trying to put out a fire.
Enjoyed flying in helicopter to help restalk lakes with young fish.
Pros
Ever changing work enviroment.
Cons
End of summer!
Misery of No Results
Information management specialist (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, OntarioJanuary 11, 2014
If you are willing to forsake poor advancement options for a slowly eroding benefits package, can live with incompetent managers and supervisors, have a desire to see any hard work you do either claimed by someone else or be disregarded - the the Misery of No Results (MNR) is the place for you. Anyone with any ambition, brains or know-how has either left or are just hanging on to max out their pensions.
Pros
can't think of anything unless lack of accountability is a pro.
Cons
way too many to list - but incompetent managers is a good place to start.
Outdoors, Great Experience, Fun People
FIRE CREW LEADER (Current Employee) –  Red Lake, ONAugust 29, 2014
Working in forest fires in Ontario is exhilarating. It really builds in you a strong understanding of teamwork, leadership and initiative. It makes you feel like you are contributing to something greater than yourself. The experience of the outdoors, going to places in the wilderness where few if any other humans go, is unforgettable. Leadership qualities you gain as a leader in charge of three other crew members will always stick with you. Good pay and benefits really makes this one of the best summer contract jobs out there.
Great organization with an emphasis on professional development
Student Experience Opportunity, Section Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJune 17, 2015
The opportunities for professional development were extensive and a great way for employees to advance their skills. The job culture was inclusive, fun and engaging with "treat days" and charity events regularly throughout the months. The training offered by managers was thorough and helpful, and co-workers were always pleasant and willing to assist each other regardless of projects or different work priorities.
Pros
treat days, professional development, charity events, team building activities, student experience opportunities
Cons
job security, job elimination, changing priorities for projects
Very exciting rewarding position
Forest Fire Suppression Forestry Technician (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONJune 1, 2015
The culture and respect working with your collogues was very rewarding. Work crews did work as a team because each team member was very much depended on each other. I learn self confidence and how to depend on others while others depended on me. This position help me develop some of my very basic values in life and work ethics.
Pros
Exciting rewarding employement
Cons
Long hours and at times in dangerous conditions
Good experience
Cochrane, Junior Ranger (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ONDecember 4, 2015
Very fun to learn about plants and species. It was a good experience because I learned a lot about fish, animals, plants, trees, etc.
Pros
A lot of learning
Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
Assistant Fisheries Technician/ Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nipigon, ONOctober 14, 2015
Surveying anglers
sampling different fish species
lab work identifying small invertebrates
office duties
filing/photocopying
answer phones
complete projects assigned
complete necessary training
easy going fun
Fisheries Technician (Former Employee) –  Tilbury, ONApril 28, 2015
long hours outside in the sun or cold
smelly fish, dirty feet
indoor data entry less exciting but important
management was wonderful and so was my team
loved every part of it
Gate Attendant
Gate Attendant (Former Employee) –  Massassauga Provincial ParkSeptember 10, 2015
In charge of all general inquiries. Complete process of signing all campers in and out of the park, proper site registration, in charge of canoe rentals.
Pros
Working outdoors in nature.
Cons
seasonal position.
Fun, productive, cooperative working enviroment
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  ONJuly 14, 2014
I enjoyed this program very much as it was the best summer experience I have had so far.
Every day was easy to get up and go out to work with the guys, especially knowing we had a nice motivating breakfast to wake up to, and an amazing well deserved supper to return to the camp to after a long day of work.
The ranger supervisor's were practically one of us younger rangers right off the beginning of the program and were very clear and communicative of the tasks being given.
I learned very much about the wilderness, the parks, and what it takes to maintain them as Ministry of Natural Resource park ranger.
The most enjoyable part was canoeing/portaging and camping for days at a time. Knowing we were out there to assist the public in encouragement towards attracting more portage enthusiasts to the areas which were over grown by weeds.
Pros
excellent breakfast/lunch/dinner included with expense to wages
Cons
long hours, some hazards
Challenging, fun, detail oriented, labour intensive
Hose Plant Labourer (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONMay 31, 2013
A typical day at work involved doing anything from off-loading firefighting equipment from incoming tractor-trailers to testing the firefighting equipment such as charging hoses on pumps to look for leaks, and defects to repairing the same defects. It was hands-down one of the best jobs I have ever had, and one of the best employers anyone could work for. The work was extremely challenging, dirty, and long; but it was also a lot of fun. The people I worked with, including bosses were always nice, approachable, professional, and ready to pitch in when required. I learned so many things in this job, time management, camaraderie, how to repair complex pieces of equipment, how to operate complex pieces of equipment, commitment to a challenging work environment.
What I liked about the MNR
Jr. Ranger Program, Thunder Bay (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONMay 4, 2014
I loved working for the MNR, I have worked for them for the past 2 years and I have gained so much experience. Working for the MNR has given me great outdoor experience and I've learned to step out of my comfort zone working with power tools, going away for the summer, meeting new people, and traveling to places I never thought I'd ever go.

A typical day at work consists of hard work, sweat, and determination but also very enjoyable. The hardest part of the job for me was having to wake up early, but on the bright side we only had 7 hour work days. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people because you develope new friendships that'll last forever; and you get the chance to work with people who have the same interests as you do. Overall, working for the MNR was my favorite job and I hope to work for them again in the future.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
having to work in poor weather conditions
My first day in field
Petroleum Operations Technologist (Current Employee) –  FredrictonSeptember 13, 2012
It is always a great fun when you do a job and you have sufficient expertise in hand. When i joined Ministry of Petroleum,some operations were already in progress. I studied all program of one operation and headed to the field for inspection.
Once I used to be inspected by ERCB,well site supervisors and other regulatory bodies and now I was inspecting the crew members tool push and well site supervisor. Being aware of the stress and nature of the job I talked to the crew in the same oil and gas dialect which was a pleasant surprise for them.They cooperated with me in all aspects of technical specification, rig inspection and HSE regulations and I came back to my office in a happy mood
Pros
setting in neat and clean suv not like schlumberger ugly truck
Cons
missed my previous job working on rig floor holding heavy pipe wrench
Park Enforcement
Provincial Park Warden (Current Employee) –  Perth, ONMay 21, 2014
To provide accurate information and assistance to park visitors, explaining and promoting park rules and regulations, enforcing the PPCRA, CCC, HTA, LLA, TPA, MSVA, ORVA, ESA within the park boundaries with the same power as a member of the Ontario Provincial Police, Arrest, Search, Detain, Transport, lay charges, issue Provincial Offence Notices Part 1, 2 and 3, issue warnings within the park boundaries, Keep record of all patrols and information, obtaining information and preparing occurrence reports or case histories, preparing crown briefs, appearing in court, laying charges and issuing provincial offence notices, arrest and rights procedures and inputting daily patrol reports into a centralized computer system, complete patrols on a regular basis, work with OPP and Conservation Officers in the line of duty, maintain a safe and secure environment for all visitors of the park. Complete various maintenance programs, Coordinate Search and Rescues for missing campers. Complete inspections of interior sites by way of 16 foot steel mink boat. Update various manuals and MSDS sheets.
Hard work but rewarding
Youth Ranger (Former Employee) –  Fort Frances, ONMarch 4, 2015
I loved working for the MNR. There was always new jobs to do. I had a great crew and even when issues occurred we did not let it interfere with our work. I received plenty of training from working here for the summer.
Pros
working outdoors
Cons
only a summer job
Review: Amazing fun atmosphere!!
Administrative Assistant - College Job Placement (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONJuly 26, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed my placement with the Ministry of Natural Resources, two weeks went far too fast. Met a lot of great people and felt like one big family being there. I would love to establish full time employment with them only thing holding me back was I am not bilingual :(.
Pros
everyone was so helpful and easy going.
Cons
i am not bilingual, makes it hard to get a permanent position with them since they are a government institution.
Highly varied, exciting and perfect for the outdoors-men
Naturalist (Former Employee) –  Lansdowne, ONApril 7, 2013
I personally loved this job, and perfectly tied in with what I'll be pursuing in university -- environmental sciences. You're outside about half the time, usually in the form of presenting the natural world to campers and tourists, whether it be kid's programs, family-oriented evening programs or hikes. You may also be inside the Visitor's Centre working with people in much smaller groups, or researching your next program.
Very educational and fun
Aboriginal Youth Work Exchange Program (Former Employee) –  Chapleau, ONMay 28, 2013
I was part of a three year summer student program and was one of the first to fulfill the three years of my contract. I really enjoyed working with the Ministry and shadowing some of the employees in different sectors. Two of my favorite outings were going out for the day with one of the conservation officers, and going up in the helicopter for the day with fish & wildlife technicians.

4.5