Ministry of Natural Resources Employee Reviews in Canada

Productive and Fun Filled Job!
Summer Help. (Former Employee) –  Grey Lake, ONJanuary 10, 2016
Loved this summer job!
Lots of variety and learned alot of new skills that will stay with me for life.
Management was fantastic to work with.
Co-workers were great and some became life long friends.
Hardest part of job was fire fighting. Didn't reaslise you would get a burn, like a sunburn, from trying to put out a fire.
Enjoyed flying in helicopter to help restalk lakes with young fish.
Pros
Ever changing work enviroment.
Cons
End of summer!
Working at Algonquin Park has provided me with many skills in planning, supervising, maintenance, and endurance.
Canoe Route Technician (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONJanuary 7, 2016
The role of Canoe Route Technician involves camping, canoeing, and portaging in all weather conditions throughout Algonquin Park. A typical day would involve planning a route through the park to conduct maintenance as well as organizing and instructing the maintenance students in a way that maximizes productivity but still ensure their safety. The hardest part of the job is extreme weather and temperature conditions, insects, and long camping trips. Although these prove to be tough, working hard to complete a task while being able to camp and enjoy nature is truly rewarding. The skills I have learned while working in Algonquin park are incomparable.
Pros
Meal compensation
Good experience
Cochrane, Junior Ranger (Former Employee) –  Cochrane, ONDecember 4, 2015
Very fun to learn about plants and species. It was a good experience because I learned a lot about fish, animals, plants, trees, etc.
Pros
A lot of learning
Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
Assistant Fisheries Technician/ Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nipigon, ONOctober 14, 2015
Surveying anglers
sampling different fish species
lab work identifying small invertebrates
office duties
filing/photocopying
answer phones
complete projects assigned
complete necessary training
Gate Attendant
Gate Attendant (Former Employee) –  Massassauga Provincial ParkSeptember 10, 2015
In charge of all general inquiries. Complete process of signing all campers in and out of the park, proper site registration, in charge of canoe rentals.
Pros
Working outdoors in nature.
Cons
seasonal position.
Great organization with an emphasis on professional development
Student Experience Opportunity, Section Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJune 17, 2015
The opportunities for professional development were extensive and a great way for employees to advance their skills. The job culture was inclusive, fun and engaging with "treat days" and charity events regularly throughout the months. The training offered by managers was thorough and helpful, and co-workers were always pleasant and willing to assist each other regardless of projects or different work priorities.
Pros
treat days, professional development, charity events, team building activities, student experience opportunities
Cons
job security, job elimination, changing priorities for projects
Very exciting rewarding position
Forest Fire Suppression Forestry Technician (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ONJune 1, 2015
The culture and respect working with your collogues was very rewarding. Work crews did work as a team because each team member was very much depended on each other. I learn self confidence and how to depend on others while others depended on me. This position help me develop some of my very basic values in life and work ethics.
Pros
Exciting rewarding employement
Cons
Long hours and at times in dangerous conditions
easy going fun
Fisheries Technician (Former Employee) –  Tilbury, ONApril 28, 2015
long hours outside in the sun or cold
smelly fish, dirty feet
indoor data entry less exciting but important
management was wonderful and so was my team
loved every part of it
Hard work but rewarding
Youth Ranger (Former Employee) –  Fort Frances, ONMarch 4, 2015
I loved working for the MNR. There was always new jobs to do. I had a great crew and even when issues occurred we did not let it interfere with our work. I received plenty of training from working here for the summer.
Pros
working outdoors
Cons
only a summer job
Outdoors, Great Experience, Fun People
FIRE CREW LEADER (Current Employee) –  Red Lake, ONAugust 29, 2014
Working in forest fires in Ontario is exhilarating. It really builds in you a strong understanding of teamwork, leadership and initiative. It makes you feel like you are contributing to something greater than yourself. The experience of the outdoors, going to places in the wilderness where few if any other humans go, is unforgettable. Leadership qualities you gain as a leader in charge of three other crew members will always stick with you. Good pay and benefits really makes this one of the best summer contract jobs out there.
Fun, productive, cooperative working enviroment
Park Ranger (Former Employee) –  ONJuly 14, 2014
I enjoyed this program very much as it was the best summer experience I have had so far.
Every day was easy to get up and go out to work with the guys, especially knowing we had a nice motivating breakfast to wake up to, and an amazing well deserved supper to return to the camp to after a long day of work.
The ranger supervisor's were practically one of us younger rangers right off the beginning of the program and were very clear and communicative of the tasks being given.
I learned very much about the wilderness, the parks, and what it takes to maintain them as Ministry of Natural Resource park ranger.
The most enjoyable part was canoeing/portaging and camping for days at a time. Knowing we were out there to assist the public in encouragement towards attracting more portage enthusiasts to the areas which were over grown by weeds.
Pros
excellent breakfast/lunch/dinner included with expense to wages
Cons
long hours, some hazards
Park Enforcement
Provincial Park Warden (Current Employee) –  Perth, ONMay 21, 2014
To provide accurate information and assistance to park visitors, explaining and promoting park rules and regulations, enforcing the PPCRA, CCC, HTA, LLA, TPA, MSVA, ORVA, ESA within the park boundaries with the same power as a member of the Ontario Provincial Police, Arrest, Search, Detain, Transport, lay charges, issue Provincial Offence Notices Part 1, 2 and 3, issue warnings within the park boundaries, Keep record of all patrols and information, obtaining information and preparing occurrence reports or case histories, preparing crown briefs, appearing in court, laying charges and issuing provincial offence notices, arrest and rights procedures and inputting daily patrol reports into a centralized computer system, complete patrols on a regular basis, work with OPP and Conservation Officers in the line of duty, maintain a safe and secure environment for all visitors of the park. Complete various maintenance programs, Coordinate Search and Rescues for missing campers. Complete inspections of interior sites by way of 16 foot steel mink boat. Update various manuals and MSDS sheets.
Great people
Senior Communications Officer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2014
Several files which are issues driven and politically relevant.
Pros
friday lunches
Cons
issues in media
Good summer program for youth.
Ontario Ranger (Former Employee) –  Sioux Lookout, ONJanuary 31, 2014
The program has since been cancelled however it was a great work experience and I made life long friends. I received a lot of training and had a lot of fun doing it.
Pros
food was really good.
Cons
twenty two girls in one cabin isn't the best idea, but its doable provided your a good problem solver.
Misery of No Results
Information management specialist (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, OntarioJanuary 11, 2014
If you are willing to forsake poor advancement options for a slowly eroding benefits package, can live with incompetent managers and supervisors, have a desire to see any hard work you do either claimed by someone else or be disregarded - the the Misery of No Results (MNR) is the place for you. Anyone with any ambition, brains or know-how has either left or are just hanging on to max out their pensions.
Pros
can't think of anything unless lack of accountability is a pro.
Cons
way too many to list - but incompetent managers is a good place to start.
Great place
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Dorset, ONSeptember 3, 2013
I enjoyed working with the cooks and the team, we ran a very tight ship so we didnt really have much we couldnt handle. It was a loss when it was closed. We were all assigned a task for the day be it dishes, cook, prep, or dining room prep and clean. The guests were sometimes a challenge, however we always made sure they were happy. I enjoyed being part of a very happy productive team.
Pros
great open minded team
Cons
it was closed down
Review: Amazing fun atmosphere!!
Administrative Assistant - College Job Placement (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, ONJuly 26, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed my placement with the Ministry of Natural Resources, two weeks went far too fast. Met a lot of great people and felt like one big family being there. I would love to establish full time employment with them only thing holding me back was I am not bilingual :(.
Pros
everyone was so helpful and easy going.
Cons
i am not bilingual, makes it hard to get a permanent position with them since they are a government institution.
Slow industry with little progress
Petroleum Inspector (Current Employee) –  London, ONJuly 22, 2013
Oil and gas industry in Ontario is a much slower pace than out west. I am relocating west to pick things up a bit. It was a good experience but it's time to move west again this fall.
Challenging, fun, detail oriented, labour intensive
Hose Plant Labourer (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ONMay 31, 2013
A typical day at work involved doing anything from off-loading firefighting equipment from incoming tractor-trailers to testing the firefighting equipment such as charging hoses on pumps to look for leaks, and defects to repairing the same defects. It was hands-down one of the best jobs I have ever had, and one of the best employers anyone could work for. The work was extremely challenging, dirty, and long; but it was also a lot of fun. The people I worked with, including bosses were always nice, approachable, professional, and ready to pitch in when required. I learned so many things in this job, time management, camaraderie, how to repair complex pieces of equipment, how to operate complex pieces of equipment, commitment to a challenging work environment.
Very educational and fun
Aboriginal Youth Work Exchange Program (Former Employee) –  Chapleau, ONMay 28, 2013
I was part of a three year summer student program and was one of the first to fulfill the three years of my contract. I really enjoyed working with the Ministry and shadowing some of the employees in different sectors. Two of my favorite outings were going out for the day with one of the conservation officers, and going up in the helicopter for the day with fish & wildlife technicians.

4.5