Ministry of Natural Resources

Ministry of Natural Resources Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Great organization with an emphasis on professional development
Student Experience Opportunity, Section Assistant (Former Employee), Peterborough, ONJune 17, 2015
Pros: treat days, professional development, charity events, team building activities, student experience opportunities
Cons: job security, job elimination, changing priorities for projects
The opportunities for professional development were extensive and a great way for employees to advance their skills. The job culture was inclusive, fun and engaging with "treat days" and charity events regularly throughout the months. The training offered by managers was thorough and helpful, and co-workers were always pleasant and willing to assist each other regardless of projects or different work priorities.
Very exciting rewarding position
Forest Fire Suppression Forestry Technician (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONJune 1, 2015
Pros: Exciting rewarding employement
Cons: Long hours and at times in dangerous conditions
The culture and respect working with your collogues was very rewarding. Work crews did work as a team because each team member was very much depended on each other. I learn self confidence and how to depend on others while others depended on me. This position help me develop some of my very basic values in life and work ethics.
easy going fun
Fisheries Technician (Former Employee), Tilbury, ONApril 28, 2015
long hours outside in the sun or cold
smelly fish, dirty feet
indoor data entry less exciting but important
management was wonderful and so was my team
loved every part of it
Hard work but rewarding
Youth Ranger (Former Employee), Fort Frances, ONMarch 4, 2015
Pros: working outdoors
Cons: only a summer job
I loved working for the MNR. There was always new jobs to do. I had a great crew and even when issues occurred we did not let it interfere with our work. I received plenty of training from working here for the summer.
Outdoors, Great Experience, Fun People
FIRE CREW LEADER (Current Employee), Red Lake, ONAugust 29, 2014
Working in forest fires in Ontario is exhilarating. It really builds in you a strong understanding of teamwork, leadership and initiative. It makes you feel like you are contributing to something greater than yourself. The experience of the outdoors, going to places in the wilderness where few if any other humans go, is unforgettable. Leadership qualities you gain as a leader in charge of three other crew members will always stick with you. Good pay and benefits really makes this one of the best summer contract jobs out there.
Fun, productive, cooperative working enviroment
Park Ranger (Former Employee), ONJuly 14, 2014
Pros: excellent breakfast/lunch/dinner included with expense to wages
Cons: long hours, some hazards
I enjoyed this program very much as it was the best summer experience I have had so far.
Every day was easy to get up and go out to work with the guys, especially knowing we had a nice motivating breakfast to wake up to, and an amazing well deserved supper to return to the camp to after a long day of work.
The ranger supervisor's were practically one of us younger rangers right off the beginning of the program and were very clear and communicative of the tasks being given.
I learned very much about the wilderness, the parks, and what it takes to maintain them as Ministry of Natural Resource park ranger.
The most enjoyable part was canoeing/portaging and camping for days at a time. Knowing we were out there to assist the public in encouragement towards attracting more portage enthusiasts to the areas which were over grown by weeds.
Park Enforcement
Provincial Park Warden (Current Employee), Perth, ONMay 21, 2014
To provide accurate information and assistance to park visitors, explaining and promoting park rules and regulations, enforcing the PPCRA, CCC, HTA, LLA, TPA, MSVA, ORVA, ESA within the park boundaries with the same power as a member of the Ontario Provincial Police, Arrest, Search, Detain, Transport, lay charges, issue Provincial Offence Notices Part 1, 2 and 3, issue warnings within the park boundaries, Keep record of all patrols and information, obtaining information and preparing occurrence reports or case histories, preparing crown briefs, appearing in court, laying charges and issuing provincial offence notices, arrest and rights procedures and inputting daily patrol reports into a centralized computer system, complete patrols on a regular basis, work with OPP and Conservation Officers in the line of duty, maintain a safe and secure environment for all visitors of the park. Complete various maintenance programs, Coordinate Search and Rescues for missing campers. Complete inspections of interior sites by way of 16 foot steel mink boat. Update various manuals and MSDS sheets.
Great people
Senior Communications Officer (Current Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: friday lunches
Cons: issues in media
Several files which are issues driven and politically relevant.
Good summer program for youth.
Ontario Ranger (Former Employee), Sioux Lookout, ONJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: food was really good.
Cons: twenty two girls in one cabin isn't the best idea, but its doable provided your a good problem solver.
The program has since been cancelled however it was a great work experience and I made life long friends. I received a lot of training and had a lot of fun doing it.
Misery of No Results
Information management specialist (Former Employee), Peterborough, OntarioJanuary 11, 2014
Pros: can't think of anything unless lack of accountability is a pro.
Cons: way too many to list - but incompetent managers is a good place to start.
If you are willing to forsake poor advancement options for a slowly eroding benefits package, can live with incompetent managers and supervisors, have a desire to see any hard work you do either claimed by someone else or be disregarded - the the Misery of No Results (MNR) is the place for you. Anyone with any ambition, brains or know-how has either left or are just hanging on to max out their pensions.
Great place
Dietary Aide (Former Employee), Dorset, ONSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: great open minded team
Cons: it was closed down
I enjoyed working with the cooks and the team, we ran a very tight ship so we didnt really have much we couldnt handle. It was a loss when it was closed. We were all assigned a task for the day be it dishes, cook, prep, or dining room prep and clean. The guests were sometimes a challenge, however we always made sure they were happy. I enjoyed being part of a very happy productive team.
Review: Amazing fun atmosphere!!
Administrative Assistant - College Job Placement (Former Employee), Pembroke, ONJuly 26, 2013
Pros: everyone was so helpful and easy going.
Cons: i am not bilingual, makes it hard to get a permanent position with them since they are a government institution.
I thoroughly enjoyed my placement with the Ministry of Natural Resources, two weeks went far too fast. Met a lot of great people and felt like one big family being there. I would love to establish full time employment with them only thing holding me back was I am not bilingual :(.
Slow industry with little progress
Petroleum Inspector (Current Employee), London, ONJuly 22, 2013
Oil and gas industry in Ontario is a much slower pace than out west. I am relocating west to pick things up a bit. It was a good experience but it's time to move west again this fall.
Challenging, fun, detail oriented, labour intensive
Hose Plant Labourer (Former Employee), Thunder Bay, ONMay 31, 2013
A typical day at work involved doing anything from off-loading firefighting equipment from incoming tractor-trailers to testing the firefighting equipment such as charging hoses on pumps to look for leaks, and defects to repairing the same defects. It was hands-down one of the best jobs I have ever had, and one of the best employers anyone could work for. The work was extremely challenging, dirty, and long; but it was also a lot of fun. The people I worked with, including bosses were always nice, approachable, professional, and ready to pitch in when required. I learned so many things in this job, time management, camaraderie, how to repair complex pieces of equipment, how to operate complex pieces of equipment, commitment to a challenging work environment.
Very educational and fun
Aboriginal Youth Work Exchange Program (Former Employee), Chapleau, ONMay 28, 2013
I was part of a three year summer student program and was one of the first to fulfill the three years of my contract. I really enjoyed working with the Ministry and shadowing some of the employees in different sectors. Two of my favorite outings were going out for the day with one of the conservation officers, and going up in the helicopter for the day with fish & wildlife technicians.
Great part time job
Hunter Safety Training instructor (Former Employee), essex countyApril 18, 2013
Pros: good part time money
Cons: loss of evenings
If you enjoy hunting you should apply to MNR and become a instructor
Highly varied, exciting and perfect for the outdoors-men
Naturalist (Former Employee), Lansdowne, ONApril 7, 2013
I personally loved this job, and perfectly tied in with what I'll be pursuing in university -- environmental sciences. You're outside about half the time, usually in the form of presenting the natural world to campers and tourists, whether it be kid's programs, family-oriented evening programs or hikes. You may also be inside the Visitor's Centre working with people in much smaller groups, or researching your next program.
fun workplace
Ontario Ranger (Former Employee), Killarney, ONMarch 1, 2013
Pros: work in the enviorment
Cons: rude staff
it was a comfortable environment, but the other crew was very unfriendly and rude
Microbiological Technician
Microbiological Technician (Former Employee), North Bay, ONDecember 19, 2012
Supervise design and installation of pine tree seed enzyme research laboratory. Sample collection, testing, analysis and report writing. Maintenance and operation of laboratory instrumentation.
summer job
North Simcoe Private Land Stewardship Rangers (Former Employee), Midhurst, ONDecember 15, 2012
learned so much doing this job had alot of fun sad it was just a summer job