Ministry of Finance Employee Reviews in Canada

Fortune 500
Office Assistant/Administrative Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 3, 2016
Great Company to work for, great people and the services they provide are excellent, there is always room for improvement and growth.
Productive and interesting work
Communications Officer (Current Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMarch 9, 2016
My fellow employees are amazing and the Ministry offers a range of committee work opportunities to get involved in shaping the culture here.
Pros
Get to work with great people
Cons
Long hours during tax season
Well paid and constant challenges
Distribution Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJanuary 21, 2016
Completely enjoyed working for the Ministry. Their work ethics and management were fantastic. Always a chance for learning new skills and possible promotions
Great training and very nice co-workers
government (Current Employee) –  reginaAugust 4, 2015
I am required to follow day to day procedures and attention to detail is required. Training is the best part here. Make notes, follow procedure book and no chance of mistakes.
audit of corporate tax returns
Returns Auditor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONJuly 9, 2015
- audit of corporate tax returns
- reassessments created
- studying queries to determine rules of application
- additional courses in tax law
- computerized environment
Productive and Enlightening Environment
SUMMER STUDENT AUDITOR (Former Employee) –  Social ServicesJune 29, 2015
I enjoyed working for the Ministry of Finace. Although it was not my field of choice it allowed me to branch out to learn other aspects of the government and what is ennobled to govern a county.
Always Interesting
Personal Information Officer (Former Employee) –  Oshawa and TorontoFebruary 11, 2015
On a typical day, I learned much about the workings of federal government as well as our tax system and how investigators proceed with their assignments.

Management in the Security field were always interesting as their educational backgrounds varied.

The hardest part of the job was keeping up with the changing protocols in place for escorting contractors throughout the site.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the stories contractors would tell about their encounters with government officials.
Pros
sometime free refreshments
Cons
erratic scheduling
working for experience
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Office Assistant to the Human Resource DirectorOctober 27, 2014
the ministry of finance is the place where yours goals are achieved but sometimes annoying tho'.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
feeling insecure at times
Good team environment at the workplace
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Port LouisApril 25, 2014
Processing all kinds of requests from the Ministry of Energy.
Learned to make changes in the law and obtain approval through Cabinet of ministers. Also learned a lot on budgeting and expenses.
All coworkers including the Cluster Leader worked in teams.

Hardest part was to convince officials how bad a water tariff increase.

Most enjoyable part is the team work.
good place to work at
Infrastructure Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 11, 2014
great place with good opportunity to advance skills and knowledge.
I am a very hard worker. I work well with other team members and am very accurate in data entry
Revenue Control Analyst (Contract) (Former Employee) –  33 King St W, Oshawa, ONJanuary 31, 2014
They are a very good company to work for. You have to work well as a team player and management are very understanding.
A good place to work
Special Investigator (Current Employee) –  KingstonJanuary 10, 2014
Although there is a need for more qualified and team oriented managers, this is a good place to get a job.
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONNovember 28, 2013
Worked my first co-op term there and had a great manager. All the other co-workers were extremely friendly. Laid back environment with a great overall atmosphere.
Moderately a fun place to work with annual sports day activities
Audit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ONJuly 25, 2013
Auditing as career is very dynamic. As such, a typical day at work is very exciting and challenging. There is usually lots to do in terms of audit planning, risk analysis, excueting and reporting on audit conducted. Audit is not only concerned with accounting, statistics and maths, it is also about business management, project management, interpersonal relationships, every type of analysis and the list goes on.

As a part of management I thrived to build an inclusive management culture which was embraced in the Unit I worked. The result of this type of managemnt provided an environment where the comaradrie in the office was at an exceptionally high level. Employees outside of the unit regularly compliment us for our stable working einvironment. This was largely to due my contribution as an Audit Supervisor, assisting the Chief Internal Auditor in the management of the Unit. Based on this experience I learnt that including staff at all levels in the decision making activities of the Unit is empowering for them and rewarding for the Unit.

The hardest part of the job was having to perform our jobs without the the necessary resources. For example the Ministry purchased auditing software for which the foundations were not adequately laid for the software to be used productively. This was hard as with the high volume of data in manual form and not electronically held it became difficult to examine and report on findings with a high level of accuracy. Another hard part is the development of the audit report as the tone of the report is crucial for its acceptance by management or the
  more... auditee.

The appreciation of management and improvements in effectiveness and efficieny in systems and procedures encourages us a team and goes a long way in inspiring us for the next assignment. This for me is the most enjoyable part of the job. Another enjoyable part is meeting new and interesting people and going to new places and learning new things on a regular basis. All this is the nature of the job.
Pros
interperosnal relationships, employees benefit, job stability, training privileges, loan opportunities and so on.
Cons
low wages, unfair pay scales
Never a dull moment
Finance Clerk (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONOctober 29, 2012
I assisted counsel with a wide variety of matters, including the following: received, tracked and distributed mail, tracked all correspondence using the computer system, received incoming calls, greeted visitors, responded to general inquiries, liaised with other government officials, suppliers and the general public, basic accounting practices with respect to verification and reconciliation of invoices, travel claims and reports, and monitored processes relating to purchasing and budgeting. During this time, I have gained the following skills and experience:

• Communication and Interpersonal Skills (interpersonal, oral and
written communication skills, communicate with counsel in writing
as well as by telephone/in person, providing follow-up disclosure,
and inquire about admission of non-contentious evidence, ability to
work independently and as a team member with minimal
supervision, communicate with agencies to ensure up-to-date
information is maintained with respect to their needs)
• Administrative, Planning, Organizational and Reasoning Skills
(time management, determining work priorities amongst conflicting
demands, file/calendar management)
• Analytical, Problem-Solving and Evaluation Skills (research and
assessment of information to draft background materials and
correspondence, disclosure, pre-trials, ability to meet statutory and
administrative deadlines, determination of inquiries needed for
branch lawyer referral, resolving administrative issues)
Enjoyable co-workers, and relaxing environment
Tax Roll Integrity Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ONMay 9, 2012
I was always on time for work, I would start by doing the important work first then continue with the regular work. I learned alot about working with others, and that a customer is always right. My managers were already ready to help and very supportive. I enjoyed all my co-workers and got along great with them. The hardest part of my job was the language difference with customers that telephoned in. I was very proud when I told people that I worked for the Ministry of Finance. What a wonderful place to work.
Pros
relaxing environment, very good managers and co-workers, enjoyed using the computers, learning the new programs
Cons
sometimes the week was long enough, understanding the difference languages, irate customers