Mindful Scientific is a medical device company that has developed a diagnostic device focused on brain status, including concussion, brain injury and neurologic/neurodegenerative diseases. The technology, the Halifax Consciousness Scanner (HCS), utilizes innovative neurophysiological methods to accurately measure consciousness.
Mindful Scientific was founded in 2009 to develop the HCS and is initially focused on the concussion market. Markets segments for concussion are sports and healthcare and early opportunities are professional and amateur sports and hospital emergency departments.
The company is based in Halifax, Nova Scotia with marketing and business development offices in Boston, Massachusetts.
We are currently seeking a Research Assistant who will be responsible for assisting in running human scientific studies to validate the product(s) under development by Mindful Scientific. The Research Assistant administers the required tests/scientific protocols to participants and is involved in the procedural aspects of data analysis. Some of the specific responsibilities include:
- Performing consent process with study participants
- Collecting EEG data from research participants and administering scientific protocols
- Inspecting and evaluating data collected to ensure quality
- Performing data analysis using EEG software, as well as Excel and statistical packages
- Organizing and maintaining regular scientific paperwork (e.g. consent forms, payment stubs, etc.)
- Post-testing, maintaining devices and supplies inventory
Skills and Experience Required
- Experience working in a research or clinical environment an asset
- Information or data management experience, i.e. organization skills in a computing context
- Knowledge of Excel and statistical software packages.
- Programming experience with software such as Matlab a definite asset.
- Experience dealing with clients or the public. Experience with research participants or clinical patients preferred.
- Experience using physiological measures such as EEG, EKG, EMG a definite asset
- Excellent written and verbal English language fluency
- Bachelors Degree in Science or Social Science, preferably in Psychology, Neuroscience or an area of Healthcare such as Nursing
- Ideally 2-3 years of relevant experience, but will consider recent graduates with an Honours thesis in human research.