MILLER THOMSON Employee Reviews

great place to work
Legal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON4 August 2017
Good place to work and many opportunities to advance and relocate across Canada due to the number of offices that they have.
They offer continous training and webairs for their employees to ensure that you skills are up to date.
Always available for employees and will offer assistance and guidance
Pros
many perks for their employees
ZERO work/life balance
Real Estate Law Clerk (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON7 July 2017
Despite the terrible reputation of the Miller Thomson Guelph Office, I decided to give it a chance and see how it was for myself. I didn't last!
Almost 20 years experience did not prepare me for this firm. I watched over 12 employees come and go in one year in one department. Some so fed up they just walked out, others on medical stress leave!
The hot and cold treatment by the lawyers, the unrealistic timelines and the sheer volume (up to 30 deals a week per person) was enough to make me see that this was not the firm for me. Over time was mandatory! Just to make it though a week, it could range from 15-30 hours per person.
On top of all of that, even after asking for help, our manager was unable to do anything for us.
There is a serious flaw in how the department is managed; right down to printers being removed so we could become "paperless"; in a world where paper is mandatory.
Not to mention, the pay scale is completely unfair and not confidential in any way. Vacations are cancelled, even when trips are booked. And sometimes just refused altogether.
Cons
excessive overtime, unrealistic deadlines, no empathy for staff, vacations are cancelled or refused
Crash and Burn
Legal Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 June 2017
This firm runs its staff into the ground. period. You are replaced and forgotten when they burn you out. Your loyalty has little value. They are known for consistently over-working and underpaying. They tolerate questionable behaviours from some of the lawyers. Do not leave a stable job for this firm as you may regret it.
Pros
Nice view from the office
Cons
Underpaid, trapped and very overworked crowd of unhappy people
Horrible environment
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2017
Not a team environment, HR doesn't support the staff at all, no job security what so ever. Firm has gone downhill the past few years.
Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK25 September 2016
Team is great. No big hierarchy, we work as one team to deliver for our clients. Company takes time to appreciate their staff throughout the year. Work load can be fast paced and challenging but there is good training and people all around you that support one another. One of the best jobs I have ever had. Moving is the only reason I am leaving. Worked for this company over 3 years. Some of the people I work with have been here 25+ years.
Pros
Great teamwork and team supported environment
Cons
Productive and fun workplace with table football table
Document Reviewer or (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 February 2016
Have learned to handle the high pressure confidently and perfectly, improved team cooperation skills with self-organization.
Terrible office politics - don't speak to anyone !
real estate (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON6 December 2015
Bad management - treated as a # not a person! No work life balance whatsoever!
Terrible to work for
No job security
Just work you like a work slave
Pros
A job!
Cons
Miller Thompson!
Complete disappointment
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guelph2 November 2014
I was employed with Miller Thomson LLP Guelph Office for approximately three years. The staff for the most part were nice and enjoyable. Lawyers and HR Department were extremely difficult, untrustworthy and cold. While I loved the work, it became difficult to balance work and life balance and was fired for matters outside of my hands. If your life is perfect then this would be the place for you, if you have children or a life outside of the workplace, stay clear.
Pros
Cons
Unsympathetic, liars, cold, rude
No job security!!! Salary average with good perks.
Former employee (Former Employee) –  Ontario10 October 2014
Internal culture is very professional. Sometimes there is no work. Management decision taken temp. basis without any vision.
Pros
salary and opportunity
Cons
Unsecure job. Management has poor work ethics!
i was a floater but there wasn't enough work
Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 October 2013
The people were friendly and helpful but job security was very poor.
Pros
Great people to work with excellent salary
Cons
office politics were disappointing
Very efficient working conditions.
Floater (Former Employee) –  Yonge & Queen Streets, Toronto, Ontario15 January 2013
I was a floater at Miller Thomson. I was usually placed in the litigation department. The staff were very friendly and easy to work with as a team.
Pros
efficient and well organized.
Cons
sometimes there wasn't enough work