Miller Thomson LLP is one of Canada's fastest growing national business law firms, with more than 470 lawyers working in offices located in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Saskatoon, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Guelph, Toronto, Markham and Montréal. We strive to offer each team member a great challenge, competitive compensation/benefits, employee perks, an emphasis on wellness plus a positive, collegial work environment.
We are seeking a dynamic, experienced Business Development Manager to join our Saskatchewan offices, based in either our Regina or Saskatoon location.
As the key contact for any business development activities in Saskatchewan, you will provide strategic direction, guidance and management in the planning and implementation of business development activities and budgets for our firm, both internally and externally. An active participation in Account Team meetings and assistance in coordinating key account initiatives, including Client Feedback interviews, and liaising with lawyers and assisting in making introductions to new and existing clients, will be key initiatives.
This position reports directly to the Office Managing Partner and the Chief Marketing & Business Development Officer. One support staff member, located in Regina, reports directly into this position.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Take a leadership role in business development planning and implementation process as part of the Saskatchewan leadership team and provide strategic business development guidance in line with firm-wide business strategy. Take a leadership role in local Business Development meetings to develop strategic direction for the various business development initiatives, identify & develop synergies and promote cross-selling initiatives between groups and offices.
- Assist lawyers in developing and implementing their personal marketing plans to drive practice and revenue growth. Interact with partners and associates on Business Development activities, understanding their business objectives, and help them develop marketing programs that further those objectives. Assist with targeted research that supports those programs and objectives.
- Identify local and national growth opportunities for the Saskatchewan offices. Set up a Business Development program, and actively participate in key account team meetings and help coordinate (key) account initiatives. Align lawyers’ personal marketing plans with these growth opportunities. Connect lawyers with (potential) clients and help them prepare for their pitch or presentation meetings. Set up a client feedback program in line with the firm’s national client feedback program.
- Align local Business Development activities with the National Industry and Specialty Groups. Develop innovative approaches to the market, drive firm-wide common programs.
- Proactively participate and take a leadership role in leading and negotiating partnership opportunities to support business development initiatives, make connections, and enhance the firm’s position in the market place.
- Give direction and assist with written proposals in response to RFP’s in line with firm policies.
Knowledge, Skills and Requirements:
- Proven ability to develop relationships with leaders, partners and other practitioners in the firm and to provide strategic marketing advice in respective industries and specialities.
- Well organized, detail oriented, energetic, self started and proactive, with proven efficient and effective project management skills.
- Capable of working independently, multi-tasking and prioritizing. Should be flexible to meet the needs of the firm and the job.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines without ongoing supervision.
- Friendly, outgoing demeanor with strong diplomatic skills to deal with a large variety of personalities, with the ability to defend and present ideas.
- An interest in and appreciation of effective externally-focused communications with the ability to visualize and contribute to the development of print, web and display materials that “sell”.
- Strong communication skills.
- Day travel to clients, trade shows, seminars or conference locations in Saskatchewan is required.
- Background in marketing and fundamental working knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Lotus Notes are desired.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree is a requirement. Major in marketing or business is preferred.
- Experience within a professional services environment and connections in the Agriculture and Food Production, Resources and/or Financial Services sectors in the Saskatchewan business and technology communities is preferred.
If you are interested in this position, please forward your resume, quoting the above job title, to:
Attn: Human Resources
Miller Thomson LLP
Bank of Montreal Building
2103 - 11th Avenue, Suite 700
Regina, Saskatchewan S4P 4G1
While we thank all applicants for their interest, due to the high volume of applicants we receive, we are unable to respond to queries individually and only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
Miller Thomson LLP is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates including women, aboriginal peoples, visible minorities and people with disabilities.