About Midwest Surveys
Midwest Surveys is a company that values its people! With over 60 years in the industry, we have been ranked as one of the 50 Best Employers in Canada, a Top Employer in Alberta, and a top benefits provider in Canada.
Midwest Surveys is a professional land surveying firm providing geomatics services to the oil and gas industry and municipalities through our ten offices in Saskatchewan, Alberta, and BC. We support local communities and we are committed to providing an outstanding work environment.
About the position
As a GIS Specialist, you will be responsible for production mapping, as well as geospatial data design, development, analysis and maintenance. This position also plays a role as technical support in fulfillment of internal and external survey data management and mapping systems and services. You will be working closely with Midwest Surveys’ GIS group and project managers in our other offices. In this position, you will:
- Ensure client satisfaction when dealing with external projects related to mapping and digital data delivery processes;
- Assist in geospatial data design, development, and maintenance as required
- Liaise between the CAD drafting and mapping staff in all offices and the GIS department;
- Gather, manage, translate and maintain complex survey/geographic digital data sets and have the ability to create and implement data models and GIS data structures;
- Troubleshoot data issues and find sources of error;
- Build, edit and structure cadastral line work as well as other survey quality data for submission to GIS databases;
- Maintain mapping and quality assurance/checking procedures; and
- Build innovative solutions to problems as they arise.
What’s in it for me?
- Competitive salary, bonuses, employee-ownership opportunities, on-site fitness facility, and leading benefits;
- Casual work atmosphere with an approachable, hands-on management team that takes time to celebrate successes; and
- Partner with departments across the organization and gain exposure to a variety of projects in a dynamic environment;
The successful candidate will have a degree or diploma in GIS or mapping and a minimum of 3 years of experience in digital GIS or mapping. Experience in an oil and gas related and/or Geomatics environment is an asset.
- ArcView 9.x or above;
- Safe FME;
- Excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills;
- Self-motivated and can work well in a multi-disciplinary team;
- Customer service orientation;
- AutoCAD Map 2004 or above;
- Relational database technologies such Microsoft Access or SQL Server;
- Microsoft office product suite including Word and EXCEL; and
- Scripting languages such as VBA would be an asset.
For more information on working with Midwest Surveys or to apply for this posting online please visit the Careers section of our website.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.