Our Fort St. John location has an exciting GIS / Mapping / CAD Technician opportunity for a multi-disciplinary professional who enjoys variety in his or her scope of responsibilities
Midwest Surveys is a professional services firm, specializing in geomatics services in Western Canada. Midwest Surveys prides itself on being a well-established ethical company that delivers value to clients, employees, and shareholders.
Reporting to the Office Manager, Fort St. John, the GIS / Mapping / CAD Technician is responsible for spatial data acquisition, maintenance and analysis. This position also includes the production of client-specific mapping products and lending assistance on CAD projects. Working closely with the Calgary-based GIS group and project managers across the company, the GIS / Mapping / CAD Technician performs duties including, but not limited to, the following:
- Gathers, manages, translates and maintains complex survey/geographic digital data sets and has the ability to follow and implement pre-defined data models and GIS data structures;
- Builds, edits and structures cadastral line work as well as other survey quality data for submission to GIS databases and data development routines and programs;
- Produces all varieties of survey plan types with the appropriate Technician and Land Surveyor involvement/interaction;
- Creates orthophoto mosaics, base file mapping and composite plans with minimal supervision;
- Identifies and manages survey errors in the CADD environment and interact with Technicians and Land Surveyors on their removal;
The successful candidate will have a diploma in GIS, drafting, or digital mapping and 1-2 years of experience in any of these fields. Experience in an oil and gas related and/or geomatics environment is an asset. This role requires proficiency in ArcGIS, AutoCAD and FME. The successful candidate will demonstrate a solid understanding of layers, line types as well as entry-level familiarity with digital terrain models/contouring software and their application.
Candidates with geomatics knowledge and superior computer skills that may not meet the stated education and experience requirements are encouraged to apply.
Why choose Midwest?
Midwest Surveys is a company that values its people! Celebrating over 60 years in the industry, we have been ranked a 50 Best Employer in Canada, a Top Employer in Alberta, and ranked #7 as having Canada’s 30 Best Pension and Benefits Plans. Midwest Surveys actively supports local communities and is committed to providing an outstanding work environment. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package and value our ability to retain top talent.
How to apply:
For more information on working with us or to apply for this posting online please visit the Careers section of our website. You can also submit a copy of your cover letter and resume to:
2827 Sunridge Boulevard NE
Calgary, AB T1Y 6G1
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.