Our GIS department in Calgary currently has an opening for a GIS / Geomatics Technician.
Why Choose Midwest Surveys?
Midwest Surveys is a 100% employee owned company that values its people! Celebrating 60 years in the industry, we have been ranked as one of the 50 Best Employers in Canada, a Top Employer in Alberta, and ranked as a company with one of Canada’s 30 Best Pensions and Benefits Plans. We were also selected as Alberta's Best Workplace for Health and Safety in 2008 by Venture Magazine.
Midwest Surveys actively supports local communities and charities. We pride ourselves on operating with a high level of ethics and are committed to providing an outstanding work environment. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package and value our ability to retain top talent.
Midwest Surveys is a professional land surveying firm providing geomatics services to the oil and gas industry and municipalities through our ten offices in Alberta, British Columbia, and Saskatchewan.
As a GIS / Geomatics Technician, you will be responsible for production mapping, data analysis and data creation / maintenance. This position also plays a role as technical support in fulfillment of internal and external survey data management and mapping systems and services. You will be working closely with Midwest Surveys’ GIS group and project managers in our other offices. Duties and responsibilities of this position are to:
- Ensure client satisfaction when dealing with external projects related to mapping and digital data delivery processes;
- Liaise between the CAD drafting and mapping staff in all offices and the GIS department;
- Gather, manage, translate and maintain complex survey/geographic digital data sets and have the ability to follow and implement pre-defined data models and GIS data structures;
- Troubleshoot data issues and find sources of error;
- Build, edit and structure cadastral line work as well as other survey quality data for submission to GIS databases;
- Maintain mapping and quality assurance/checking procedures.
The successful candidate will require a College technical diploma in GIS, Drafting, or Mapping and a minimum of 1 year experience in digital mapping, drafting or GIS. Experience in an oil and gas related and/or Geomatics environment is an asset.
Special consideration will be given to candidates with Geomatics knowledge, superior computer skills, and aptitude that may not meet the stated education, experience and competency requirements.
Key Competencies and Behavioral Attributes:
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Self-motivated and can work well in a multi-disciplinary team;
- Customer service orientation;
- ArcView 9.x or above;
- AutoCAD Map 2004 or above;
- Safe FME
- Relational database technologies such Microsoft Access or SQL Server;
- Microsoft office product suite including Word and EXCEL;
- Scripting languages such as VBA an asset.
For more information on working with Midwest Surveys or to apply for this posting online please visit the Careers section of our website. You can also submit a hard copy of your cover letter and resume, quoting Job # 1329 to:
2827 Sunridge Boulevard NE
Calgary, AB T1Y 6G1
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.