Midwest Property Management Employee Reviews

everyone for themself
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 June 2017
No team player as everyone for them self. Some of the mangers don't care about you only themselves. Staff not doing there jobs, getting other site staff to do there work for them. Some of the staff doing off site work when they were to be at work. When on call no extra pay. Now you get a little extra when on call. No safety program in place.
Pros
Xmas party, uniforms
Cons
pay, working by yourself, no safety programs
Employee orientated company
Senior Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AB5 June 2017
Daily work responsibilities was property maintenance.Company was always supporting employee advancement and offered paid courses.The company provided a respected and enjoyable work environment.
Pros
Vehicle allowances
Cons
I had none
Pay and hours were bad
Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 March 2017
I had to work a lot of evenings and weekends. When it came to a new person starting they promised my day shifts. After the interview with that girl who refused to work all evenings and weekends agreed to rotate evenings and weekends with me. Great idea but that policy should have been put in place long before I was the only evening and weekend girl. So I left for better hours and pay.
Pros
Structure
Cons
Long hours no breaks
Enjoyable and exciting place to work
Maintenance Technician Level 2 (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 February 2017
-the mornings started with reviewing the upcoming activities for the day and organizing and prioritizing them to maximize productivity. The days would vary on what type of work was required and size or number of jobs. Regular maintenance would entail smaller jobs such as electrical, plumbing or carpentry repairs.Regular site walk(s) to ensure a clean and safe place for tenants
-learned a great deal about people, their wants, needs and expectations that they expected from the company
-immediate level management was great and on stream with most issues and solutions that were brought up. Upper management though seemed to have a tough time communicating what they wanted and expected to those of us at the doing end of things
- hardest part pf the job was getting larger renovations completed in a seven day window as was expected by upper management
-most enjoyable part of the job was the great tenants and doing the little things that made them happier to live there
Pros
Each job was different and offered new challenges
Cons
Upper management could not comprehend the amount of work the needed to be done
A Good Stepping Stone for Something Better.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 January 2017
Helping Customers find a place to live, and taking care of them while they were there was a joy of mine.

Unfortunately money seemed to be more important than the happiness of the tenants. Which will hurt the company in the long run.

They do not have polices in place to deal with certain events or situations; which means that how certain situations are handled can blow up in your face - resulting in write ups or termination - and a lack of accountability on part of Midwest Management. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The work environment is fairly laid back. However, there is a lack of professionalism. I am thankful for what I learned while I was there - Microsoft Outlook, Excel, and Word. Among other things.

Unfortunately, overtime the work environment became toxic. I didn't fit in with the clique, and it didn't end well for me.
Pros
Free lunches; Charitable organization - Unicef, Yess
Cons
Variable shifts; Long hours; Inconsistency with policies
Worst employer ever
Associate (Former Employee) –  Alberta26 November 2016
Zero job security, zero accountability, zero loyalty. Unethical treatment of employees. I watched them fire coworkers without any type of explination or any justifiable cause and hide behind legal loopholes to do so. If they dont like the way you part your hair, your days are numbered. Avoid them at all costs.
Pros
Cons
Unethical, no accountability, micromanaged
A climate where you were ALWAYS second guessed
Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 October 2016
My review of this company is nothing short of contempt.They have a very contradictory view of all employees.Employees who work hard get NO recognition.
Pros
A somewhat decent paycheque
Cons
NO recognition
Outstanding workplace
Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 August 2016
There were certainly days where your mind was blown off of how busy you were. With loads of paperworks to angry tenants to having to chase around tenants for late payments. Overall without all those bad days, I would have not learnt more I could have.
For the short period of time I was there, I absorbed so much potential. Ive learned so much for myself. like my limits and my ability to succeed.
Pros
Fantastic Staff
Wonderful place to work
Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 April 2016
I really enjoyed working for this company. There was always a training course that was available, it was fantastic to see how happy people were to move into their new home and the smiles on the current tenants face was always something to light up the day. Hard part was declining an application. My staff and management team were wonderful to work with. Fantastic company to work for.
Poorly run, disorganized company with abusive management
Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 February 2016
This company is extremely disorganized and unprofessional. Staff are not trained and given little to no feedback or direction. The property manager told me and other female staff that we were hired for our looks on more than one occasion. We were also told that we were replaceable and were constantly threatened with termination. My site manager often came to work hung over. She would share with the whole office how much she had drank and details of her love life. She would leave the office for hours at a time and occasionally brought her kids to work when she couldn't get a baby sitter. She was completely unprofessional. Everyone I respected at Midwest was either fired or quit during my time there. They place no value on their people and are constantly firing and hiring. There is very little education offered and limited opportunity. If you are serious about pursuing a career in property management I advise you to stay far away from Midwest. They have no new developments and their buildings are falling apart. Unprofessional, unqualified management are running the company into the ground.
Pros
Rental discount
Building Maintenance Manager and Bylaw Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 January 2016
They allowed for individual growth and development. Able to perform duties with the full confidence of management and staff. Interaction with residents made working and living on site a pleasure.
Great experince and place to work
Leasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB3 November 2015
Unfortunately they sold the site I was working at. It is upsetting because I really liked my position there.I worked with a great group of people
Wish could give zero stars, bad work place
site manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton AB5 October 2015
Working for lacy samson who qualifies as worst boss ever. no feedback, no training, no support whatsoever. I was fired 4 months into the job just weeks after moving into one of their properties. No cause and no reason given.

This company includes a termination without cause clause in its contracts because they want to fire you rather than invest time in developing you.

dont apply here is the best asdvice I can give you if your here deciding on a job offer.
Pros
leaving for the last time
Cons
bad managment, bad training and very quick to dismiss
It was a great company to work for.
Leasing Agent/Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 August 2015
Going to work every day brought on new challenges, and kept me on my toes. I had learned so much over the years from leasing units to managing properties. I started as a leasing agent and worked my way to Site Manager. The people I worked with daily were like family. My favorite part of my job was seeing the smiles on tenants faces when I would solve there problems and get them results.
Pros
Making the tenants happy
Cons
Working every 1st of the month
Love working here!
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 January 2015
Great atmosphere, great company, great people. I have learned much about the real estate business and rental markets from the company which has helped me provide excellent knowledge to those around me.
large volume of accounts payable ,check runs weekly
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 November 2014
Enjoyed the work
Worked with vendors and co workers
Did check runs on a weekly basis
Pros
was able to partispate in outside events (football games, hockey games)
Like Working with Family
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 April 2014
This was a great environment to work in. The company is always offering employees to partake in company events (BBQ's, Theater, Games, etc) and they are very supportive in helping people advance in their current positions.
Pros
Company Fuctions
Cons
Pay/wages
very good company to woork for really enjoyed it
Site Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 July 2012
come to work walked the site managed any emergencies from the night before. managed on going renovations to suites, contractors, overseen all maintenace requests, showing of suites. I enjoyed meeting new people,
Pros
worked monday to friday
Cons
travling