Midwest Contracting is a Calgary based, wall and ceiling contractor supporting quality project and asset management firms for over 25 years. From small projects to renovating or building 300,000 plus square feet of office or retail space, Midwest has the ability and experience needed to assemble wall and ceiling systems with accuracy, from conception to completion. Our team approach of highly skilled technicians allows for quality control over every aspect of our installation and our high safety standards have qualified Midwest as being COR Certified and LEED Compliant. We take pride in completing all projects safely, on-time, and to the high expectations that each customer expects.
Job Description: Your main responsibilities will be:
- Identify and weld different types of metals and steel, but mainly being light gauge
- Work independently or in a team environment.
- Read and interpret fabrication drawings and produce rough sketches
(abbreviations, symbols for welding/assembly, tolerances) and civil drawings.
- Operate job related equipment (cut off saw, iron worker, hydraulic presses,
shears, drill presses, torches, oxygen lances, pneumatic/powder actuated
tools, & plasma cutters).
- Fabricate and weld both large and small fabrications.
- Handle, transport, and process product and materials using equipment.
- Inspect raw materials and finished product to meet specification.
- Operate and inspect material handling equipment (such as overhead
& mobile cranes); light mobile equipment (such as forklifts, pick-up trucks)
- Assist with the maintenance or repair of equipment.
- Fit and assemble simple as well as complex assemblies.
- Good housekeeping practices at all times, to help maintain safe work
areas for yourself and your co-workers.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Welder Certificate of Qualification (456A)
- Minimum of 2 years in industrial environment with experience in
- CWB certified welders in steel, stainless, and/or Aluminum.
- You must have a minimum 3 years’ experience in a trade as a first class metal worker with
the ability to problem solve and install a quality job every time.
- Accurately read and understand shop drawings.
- Experience working with fabrication equipment. (Shears, Press Brakes,
- Experience in TIG welding.
- Driver’s license
Reporting to the Lead Hand, you will be responsible for welding out our custom steel fabrications. You will assist our Fitters in tack welding components in place, understanding the reaction of metal and heat to determine the correct sequence of welds to ensure the accuracy of the structure's dimensions and elimination of distortion due to heat input. We are not a production line shop; everything we make is custom and so there is a great variety of work. All of our work is done to CWB or higher standards and we are looking for people who are well developed in the craft of welding to fulfill this role.
This position requires 2 or more years of welding experience with heavy plate and structural carbon steels.
The Physical Requirements of the job are as follows:
- Temperature Tolerance: The ability to withstand extreme
- Reaction Time: The ability to quickly respond to process
- Static Strength: The ability to exert significant muscle force
to lift, push, pull, or carry objects.
- Trunk Strength: The ability to use your abdominal and lower
back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or
continuously over time, including bending and stooping.
- Dynamic Strength: The ability to exert muscle force at
intervals throughout a work shift. This involves muscular
endurance and resistance to muscle fatigue.
- Agility: The ability to negotiate different areas of the plant,
including climbing stairs and ladders, and moving
- Manual Dexterity: The ability to quickly move, and react.
You are accountable and dependable to perform your duties with ethics and integrity, with the ability to prioritize and complete tasks in order to deliver desired outcomes within allotted timeframes. You will have completed 2 years of experience with demonstrated abilities in trade skills knowledge. Effective and efficient communication is an essential asset in this position and being able to work with minimum supervision with the ability to make decisions under stressful situations.
- The hiring process may include the following mandatory steps:
- Aptitude Assessments
- Security Clearance, Reference Checks and Education Verification
- Only those candidates selected to attend an interview will be contacted.
Midwest Contracting is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of employment equality and inclusion. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals.
Midwest Contracting Ltd.