Merchandiser, Ladies Fashion
The Merchandiser is an integral part of Midway, taking a leadership role in managing the company's comprehensive ladies fashion accessory collection. Merchandising and product development, ensuring Midway continues to create the most fashionable, innovative, and cost competitive products.
- Coordinated Knit Accessories
- Wallets & Small Leather Goods
Specific Major Responsibilities
The following are the major responsibilities that this position entails:
Strategy: Develop a cohesive merchandising strategy, in conjunction with the VP,
Merchandising, that satisfies assorted distribution channels (mass market,
department, and fashion chains, independent retail and promotional).
Research & Analysis: Research trends and markets for inspiration, travel to
assortment markets for inspiration on new products, pricing, and
strategies, identify opportunities and key items, review
customers individual perform (in conjunction with sales team),
Planning: Plan and develop a merchandising development strategy (“assortment plan”)
to enable the company to sell a range of products including target selling
prices, develop and source a product assortment that is on trend, innovative
and targeted to our varied customers.
Innovative: Ensure Midway continuously creates and develops innovative, market
appropriate products on a seasonal basis.
Direction: Responsible for leading their team with fresh concepts while also being able
to take direction. Determine merchandising themes, color palette, and overall
product details for all categories of ladies fashion products. Ensuring product
specifications are market appropriate and clearly communicated to
merchandising assistants and suppliers.
Integration: Integrate product development to satisfy retail & promotional customers
needs, create product cross selling opportunities for the sales team.
Brand Development: Ability to implement and maintain a cohesive branding strategy
across various company departments and multiple channels of
SUPPLY CHAIN & INVENTORY MANAGEMENT
- Supply Chain: Manage product development, sourcing, production, and timely delivery of all orders. Ensure the supply chain can meet Midway's current and future product development needs. Develop new suppliers as needed, especially those that meet customer social compliance issues.
- Costing: Negotiate product costs and deliveries with suppliers, ability to cost products and set selling prices based on pre-determined gross margin requirements.
- Bachelor of Commerce (or similar degree)
- Minimum of 5 years experience in managing merchandise and product development
process (additional experience in fashion accessories considered desirable).
- Experience in the overseas (mostly China) supply chain for softline products.
- Knowledge of Canadian and US retail markets.
- Knowledge of MS Windows, MS Word, MS Excel (additional experience in MS
PowerPoint considered desirable).
- Ability to communicate (both oral and written) in English effectively, abilty to
communicate orally in French .
- Ability to prioritize and manage various seasonal demands
- Strong persuasion, communication and presentation skills - both internally and
externally, with an ability to develop strong professional relationships
- Desire to be a part of a fast-paced, flexible and growing organization of highly
- Ability to travel to Asia (mostly China) for product development and throughout Canada,
the United States and Europe for product research and assist in sales presentations