Microsoft Employee Reviews

Microsoft
Helpdesk Technician (Former Employee) –  Ottawa13 May 2014
Working for Microsoft was a challenge. We never had the proper tools to do the job. They would not provide us with the software they wanted us to support. We had to burn illegal copies ( Microsoft gave us the ok) yourself. Location was also an issue, cubicle farm as we called it.
Pros
Direct connection to MS KB database, Training from Redmont techs
Cons
salary, lack of tools
Microsoft
IT Operations Consultant (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 May 2014
• Member of Microsoft’s lead Operations Consultant Team. Successfully lead the completion of eight large, multi-factorial and multi-million projects
• Developed strategic plans to initiate organic organizational maturity, improve governance and management of IT Operations around people, process and technology.
• Identified specific measures to establish automation and governance practices to reduce resource dependence and enhance ROI, per ITIL and other industry best practices per ITIL, PMI, ISO, COBIT, and CMMI
• Established people, process and technology roadmap to improve IT operations and embark cloud services. Created framework to grow IT operations consulting business within Canada, which increased number of engagements by +50%
• Analyzed and optimized team structures to support diversified IT Operations for dynamic organizations. Enhanced processes required to ensure high services availability and reliability. Ensured effective coordination between cross functional departments by breaking silos and introducing collaboration services to enhance communication and coordination
• Enhanced team members’ knowledge on ITIL, MOF and Microsoft technologies and executed internal training workshops. Exceeded customer expectations for all projects and engagements
• Managed multimillion business, infrastructure, technology and solution transformation projects to rollout Microsoft technologies such as hybrid/private/public cloud, Microsoft System center (SCCM, SCOM, SCSM), Cloud private/public, virtualization, AD, Exchange, O365, ITSM Tools, CRM-Dynamics, lync, TFS, FIM, SQL
  more... Server, Share Point, PKI, and Windows azure/server/desktops
• Exceeded customer expectations while working for Gov of Ontario (MTO, JTS, LTC, LAT, OCPC), Gov of Manitoba, Gov of Alberta, Gov of Saskatchewan, Gov of NB, Region of Niagara, Sask Energy, City of Vancouver, eHealth, Metrolinx, Vancouver Transit, ATCO, SUNCOR, EPCOR, Magna, Vale, Telus, Rogers, Peel Region Police, CIBC, RBC, Conexus Credit Union, Sunlife, Manulife, Stikeman, Loblaws and Blackberry,
Fun and super-cool place to work
Creative Director (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC25 April 2014
Full of smart and interesting people from all over the world.
The competition is hot on our heels!
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 March 2014
They days of Microsoft being the del facto standard are behind them. The company is a little too large and arrogant to compete with Google and Apple but upper management is starting to change. Mid managers are still interested in one thing your funnel and license sales.

There is no training for Account Managers, so you are on your own to figure out everything
Ecellent experience
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Scarborough25 March 2014
This event has bring developers together to work on their dream app for kick start the windows 8, such great time to work with other developers as a team
Consulting in Xbox through Simplicity
Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, Wa6 March 2014
Amazing opportunities and relationships that Simplicity has in top groups at Microsoft. Day to day experience dependent on your Microsoft manager, Simplicity makes an effort to bridge the gap and reach out for feedback but it is ultimately up to you. As in all consulting, job security is iffy, but if you build your network as you go and save for the breaks of employment you incur, you will love it. The pay is much higher then FTE roles at other companies.
Pros
Free sodas at Microsoft, Fun products, some of the perks of workign alongside msft employees
Cons
Lack of job security, Questioning whether the agency has you or the clients best interest
daily work
Associate (Former Employee) –  New Glasgow13 November 2013
o Performed problem-solving and efficient troubleshooting skills in Microsoft Office and Outlook (All versions of Microsoft Office installation send/receive issue in outlook, outlook express and windows mail, update and upgrade office system etc.)
o Assisted customers synchronizing between outlook and mobile device using active sync
o Demonstrated knowledge and effective uses of Support Professional tools, applications, and operating systems by utilize the Knowledge Base Article, internet and internal application
o Demonstrated Support Professional skills by document case information into the Clarify and CAP system, utilized the intercom phone system, typing and verbal communication with front line support agent
Tough, but fun and stimulating
GROUP MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WA12 November 2013
I loved working at Microsoft. They really did have a culture of trying to make work fun, interesting and compelling. The work was hard, and hours were long, but one got a real sense of having done something worthwhile, not because the products were that fabulous but because management tried to show that they valued everyone's contributions.
Pros
Treat you fairly and pay you well
Cons
Constant change can be discombobulating
Game rooms, pool tables, and a fridge full of beers! (after 5 pm only)
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 October 2013
atypical day at work would include, receiving calls from home users to rectify their computer or PC issues. I learned how to probe and be patient in learning and understanding the customer needs. How to communicate resolutions to the presented problems in a simple vocab. co-workers were fun to work with. The hardest part of the job was the commute, as I was living a city away, none the less I was always there and on time.
24/7/365 prison.
C# Software Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WA9 September 2013
On the other hand - If you are young, fast and single - great place to start your career.
Exciting Work, Always Leading the Pack
Senior Analyst/Excel/ SQL Reporting (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WA19 June 2013
I enjoyed working with Microsoft. Everyone is dedicated and fully vested in the projects I worked on. I always had a sense that I was part of the pack, leading the way.

As a consultant with them I enjoyed the flexible work schedule, working from home or on the road if needed. Offices are not terribly elaborate but everyone has a door they can close. Getting the right equipment to use while developing was never difficult, as a company they upgrade to new technology every two years or so.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Demanding, results oriented environment, highly competitive.
Great place filled with exceptionally smart people
Marketing Strategy Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 April 2013
Surrounded by some of the best brains in the industry, there is always something new to learn at Microsoft.
Worked for Microsoft through Mosaic Solutions
Brand Ambassador (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON21 March 2013
Worked for Samsung through Mosaic Solutions

- Highly supportive with information regarding products
A dynamic work experience.
PROMOTIONAL REPRESENTATIVE, BLACK CHALK MARKETING (Current Employee) –  Toronto19 March 2013
Arrival through Pearson security was always a friendly affair. Meeting travellers and informing them about the new Windows 8 was always a different and refreshing experience each time.

Management was great all around. They're friendly, considerate, encouraging, respectable, promote efficiency, knowledgeable, and helpful. The amount of time we all spent together allowed us to really become a team and we all eventually became friends even after the promotion ended. It was nice to look forward to coming into work and being around people you enjoyed being around. For example, when certains days felt longer than others it would be evident that we'd help one another pass the time. Throughout the duration of the program, we always learned from one another and were really beyond knowledgeable about Windows 8 and its products by the end of the program.

Although the job itself I could not consider in any way difficult, sometimes certain frustrations would arise due to faulty internet or software hiccups which would embarrassingly affect our pitches.

I really enjoyed the concept of "counting the wow's". To me "wow's" confirmed that the product experience we were sharing would be something very memorable for whoever I would be speaking to.
Software Engineer in Windows Server (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WA2 March 2013
Overall I have practically all positive things to say about working Microsoft. Like any company, your happiness is greatly affected by your specific team's policies and people. I'd say the majority of people I worked with were happy and were great people.
Pros
encouragement to innovate, a certain degree of freedom to work on experimental projects
Great global company.
Partner Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada18 February 2013
Great global company, strong brand. Local presence heavily influenced by local leadership.
Contracts Are Not For Everybody
Bilingual Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, On13 February 2013
They are the most famous developers of software world wide. However the work life balance aspect to a corporation like this one lacks.
Pros
na
Cons
contract & lack of leadership
Such an enjoyable job
Tier 1 Support Agent (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON28 November 2012
I really enjoyed this place, I am a gamer too which made it even more enjoyable, I am currently looking too get my little brother in this kind of job he is 16 and I was 16 at the time
First Canadian Job
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2012
• Provided system administration and helpdesk support to include software and hardware installations, maintenance, upgrades, troubleshooting, user account administration, and support under stringent deadlines in a fast-paced.
• Dealing with customers regarding sales of computers, printers and extended warranties.
• HP lower/higher end printers, scanners, Design jets scanners (4200), Design jets (430, 450, 2500, 3500, 4000, 5000, and 5500).
• Hands on experience on all H.P Products i.e. Laptops, Desktops, printers, scanners Machines, plotters.
Handling day to day calls from customers and visit on site for repair.
Demanding job with less than adequate tools and unreal expectations
Corporate Licensing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON24 October 2012
The general attitude amongst the co-workers is poor. Most are currently seeking alternate employment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Microsoft. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2