Microsoft

Microsoft Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Microsoft does follow through on it's commitment
Corporate Marketing Group - Microsoft Studios (Former Employee), Redmond, WAOctober 25, 2014
Pros: will provide access to all the information available on any given technical subject.
Cons: review process is a subjective farce
I liked working at Microsoft because it was impressed on all the new hires in 1995 that it's employees were it's most valuable asset. The quality and depth of information provided to every employee was unmatched to any other employer I had ever worked for. Microsoft was sincerely committed to developing its employees to their highest potential. All – more... that was required was a fundamental curiosity and desire to figure out how to turn a mountain of data into useful information for the problem at hand.
Sadly a lot more intelligence went into figuring out how to game the compensation/review process. The results being a management style that rewarded never taking a risk and in those cases where risk was inherent to the project, make sure there were 'mitigating circumstances' or someone else to blame in the event of failure.
The biggest inflection points for Microsoft were when stock options were removed from the rank and file employees compensation. Then the DOJ and EU trials. Bill leaving the management to Steve was another change that reinforced a risk adverse corporate culture. Steve was great at exploiting markets and increasing market share but was not respected for his technical acumen or vision. Bill might have been repairing his personal brand by becoming a great philanthropist with Melinda, but Microsoft as a company suffered mightily as a result. – less
Same ol Same ol
Software Test Engineer (Former Employee), Redmond, WAOctober 25, 2014
Microsoft is a large secure company to work for if you have a good manager and are on an important project.
Very educative and productive atmosphere tailored to everyday life
Product Advisor (Current Employee), San Antonio, TXOctober 24, 2014
Assist and educate customers as well as potential customers on a daily basis

Provide Windows and Office trainings

Strongly support teamwork
Best place to work
Microsoft Student Partner (Former Employee), Hyderabad, APOctober 24, 2014
Best place to work on the earth,if you are an absolute geek.Training and coding with the team is so much fun.
A great company filled with intelligent, motivated people.
Senior Engagement Manager (Current Employee), Franklin, TNOctober 24, 2014
Pros: benefits package and ability to provide feedback to management
Cons: work life balance can be a challenge
Microsoft has a culture that supports diversity and provides competitive benefits. Employees at Microsoft are intelligent and motivated people, with a passion for software. The services division of Microsoft is continuing to evolve as the company shifts to a focus on Devices and Services in the cloud.
Challenging and exciting workplace where change is not only expected it's enjoyed
Technical Writer (Former Employee), Redmond, WAOctober 24, 2014
Pros: to many to mention
Cons: easy to loose track of time and get lost in the job
A typical day at work involves talking with SME contacts, gathering information, simplifying complex ideas and concepts, interacting with customers, writing prose for online blogs, articles and other content, editing video, audio and visual content and publishing everything online to one of three major content sites at Microsoft.

I've learned the value – more... of open ended thinking, I've learned agile publishing methods, and I've learned that there truly is no need to stop learning. Customers are always front and center.

My co-workers enable me to perform at my highest levels and I strive to provide the same service to them. Teams are strongest when everyone both wants and needs the same things.

The hardest part of my job was separating it from my personal life, I found such excitement and engagement it was sometimes hard to keep track of time.

The most enjoyable part of my job was working with customers directly and seeing the results of my work in their praise. – less
Don't bother until they fix the company culture
sr SDET (Former Employee), Seattle, WAOctober 23, 2014
Pros: talented staff, excellent pay and benefits
Cons: company culture, in fighting, ethnic strife
I joined Microsoft sometime after the Bing launch as an 'opportunistic statistics hire'. It was a pleasant place to work, with intelligent and thoughtful co-workers dedicated to the job.

Within a few weeks of joining one of my co-workers took me aside and explained the review or calibration system -- which has changed several times but remains the – more... same after each reorg. Basically, it is the Jack Welch fire 10% a year to keep things from stagnating approach. I soon learned why my co-workers were obsessed with this system, and spent about 1/2 the year on it. Surviving the annual review is absolutely key for survival, and over time the place takes on the aura of Walking Dead after a zombie apocalypse.

Honestly, don't bother. – less
Fun and colorful workplace, with bright colors everywhere!
Product Advisor/Business Captain (Current Employee), Palo Alto, CAOctober 23, 2014
Pros: work benefits, discounts instore products
Cons: short shifts
I would arrive to work in uniform (colors of our brand), with a name badge ready to educate customers as well as help them based on their needs.
I would be either on the floor selling and talking about our products or in the back training one on one for an hour with a customer based on what they would like to be trained on, such as, Office 2013 software, – more... Windows Phones, Xbox, etc.
The most enjoying part of my job is being able to interact with all kinds of people everyday. Not only does it teach me to publicly have conversations but help me improve my communication skills.
Everyone here is very friendly and really care about you. – less
Good place to work with friendly people
Team Lead - Support Analyst (Current Employee), Las Colinas, TXOctober 22, 2014
Its a good job but there is not much room to grow and learn more at my current position.
DBA (Current Employee), Redmond, WAOctober 22, 2014
Pros: fun environment is created all the time
Cons: technological advancement is required.
Good to work for, It depends on the stream you are working in. Some systems or applications are still not using advanced technologies. Place needs more current advancements.
No job security, poor management, poor work/life.
Principal Consultant (Current Employee), Redmond, WAOctober 22, 2014
Pros: free soda
Great camaraderie with the other slaves.

Performance system stifles talent. Hopefully that is changing.
Strong talent pool
Enterprise Technology Strategist (Former Employee), Redmond, WAOctober 22, 2014
Pros: everyone had this team approach to solving issues
Cons: the lack of work life balance. yes they talk about, but not delivered on
Microsoft has a strong talent pool. However they continue to use the stack ranking system for performance increases.

It was interesting covering international offices within the company. However time zone work hours are strictly adhered internationally, while the US is expect to be available within their working hours; So scheduling business calls – more... around the clock, 6 to 12 times a month was the norm.

The resources that are available to get your job done are outstanding! If you needed to talk to a developer or VP about anything. everyone made themselves available. – less
Amazing company
Service/Technical Advisor (Current Employee), New York, NYOctober 21, 2014
Its Microsoft as you would expect it. Fantastic benefits, amazing culture and awesome people. The company takes care of their employees, hands down the best job I have ever held.
Microsoft is a fun place to work
Senior Build Engineer (Former Employee), Redmond, WAOctober 20, 2014
Pros: free pop, good benefit.
Cons: they do re-org a lot.
the work time is very flexible as long as you can finish your assignment.
you can enjoy free pop during the day just be careful don't gain too much weight.
good benefit

For technology, you can reach a lot of frontier new tech, very exciting work assignment all day.

you gets resolve challenge problem and achieve great goal with your hard work.

it's – more... a good place to work in. – less
A Fun Workplace with little hassle in current transformation it is going through
DBA (Current Employee), Redmond, WAOctober 20, 2014
Work is typically good but not much technical. This company requires lot more transformation in its approach towards technology.
A great position
Business Learning & Dev Program Manager (Former Employee), Nashville, TNOctober 20, 2014
A great company! This is a good position which served to address various areas of opportunity for growth within the department. The position was far more advanced than the department was equipped to handle.
Productive, fast pace, challenging!
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee), FloridaOctober 20, 2014
I gained more technological skills with this experience. Daily tasks including troubleshooting the xbox system and bill reviews.
Laid back culture that encourages creativity
Senior Business Analyst Manager (Former Employee), Redmond, WAOctober 19, 2014
Pros: compensation, company culture
Cons: ambigous environment, work/life balance
Excellent company to work for. MS cares about it's employees and offers excellent compensation and benefits.
overrall a good company
Senior Software engineer, Connected Car (Former Employee), Redmond, WAOctober 17, 2014
over all a good company, work could be exciting in some days, but not other days. if you know how to increase your visibility, you'll survive the review system.
Great work environment
Loyalty Manager (Current Employee), Boston, MAOctober 16, 2014
Everything about this company is perfect. The people are smart and friendly and always willing to help out.

About Microsoft

Microsoft Corporation India Private Limited is a subsidiary of US software giant Microsoft Corporation headquartered in New Delhi. – Read more