Microsoft

Microsoft Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
MICROSOFT
Tier 3 Bilingual Sales Support Engineer (Former Employee), Redmond, WANovember 22, 2014
Identifying and resolving technical issues relating to Office 365 - Lync/ Exchange/ SharePoint. Case management by ticketing and bug tracking systems. Premiere Support Services for Enterprise Customers.

•Managed customer technical issues ticket issues and provided continuous support and timely updates to customers in accordance with service level agreements – more... (SLAs).

•Troubleshoot all Office 365 customer issues related to Exchange, Lync Server, SharePoint and Live Meeting.

•Served as a third tier technical expert, providing analysis, resolution and escalation point for online issues.

•Ability to communicate complex problems in non-technical terms at various levels within the organization

•Worked with sales, operations teams and partners to gather escalation information and customer/business impact. – less
Overall above avaragein all aspects
Software Development Engineer (Current Employee), Hyderabad, APNovember 22, 2014
Highly Professional
Employee Oriented
Lots of employee perks
Recently moving away from Work Life Balance
A great place to learn and grow in software development
Software Developer/Engineer in Test (Former Employee), Redmond, WANovember 21, 2014
Pros: the people, flexible work hours, remote from home work days, free sodas, coffee, and tea
Cons: inconsistent work - as a contractor the waits between jobs can be too long
A typical day started off with reviewing, sorting, and when needed - respond to over-night emails. In addition to team and company correspondence, they also consisted of automation test results and testing done over-seas. Next, I would review my bugs in the database to see what needed follow-up on for that day. In my last position, we would have a daily – more... scrum to sync up with all our teammates on where we all were in our tasks and goals for the project. This is also where we would make agile decisions on our workforce and re-assign folks or create new tasks to help keep the project on track for its determined release date.
Before working at Microsoft, I was a video editor and award winning 3D animator. However, I didn't know very much about software development - just how to manipulate it to get my work done. Working at Microsoft, I learned on the job about how to perform software testing - specifically manual UI. In addition, I picked up a lot of general information on the use of Microsoft products and devices. I also learned a lot about corporate networking. Because I served on many teams, I got to understand on a deep level the following products: My Sync II, Point of Sale OS, Hyper-V, Zune, IE, and CE OS and many portable devices over the years.
Microsoft is a big company, so my experience won't represent the company so much as just a small part of it that I worked with. My managers were all great and very helpful. Because I started after the company had matured, the managers were very good about work/life expectations. That made it a very safe environment to work in. They all were hands-off management style - no micro-management. I flourish when left alone to solve issues on my own and they knew to mange me that way.
I loved working with my co-workers. We were all very curious people and driven to get our jobs done. Now, this varies from person to person, but I found a wide range of people to learn from and later to help each day.
The hardest part of the job was the commute each day - lots of traffic. However, they allowed for flexible work hours which eased this most of the time. One other thing, when I was working there full-time, I found great waste in the tasks needed for the one-on-one meetings with my manager. The tasks were rarely looked at before rankings were set and yet that was the reason for the tasks. I found it a great waste of time. It was forced into the work that was needed to get done - which got in the way. When, in fact if the managers had a better understanding of how to better integrate this process - I wouldn't have wasted so much time. Coming from a background where I was pumping out TV commercials on a very strict deadline - I found the one-on-one process a huge waste of time. However, I do recognize the need to generate some sort of measurable results for employee reviews - this just didn't work well for me. I was used to my end product representing my usefulness, not side tasks. Fortunately, this last year they modified/dropped this practice. I don't know what replaced it - that was being still worked out before my contract ended. In the end, I found doing contract work there a better fit.
Innovation and the people were my most enjoyable parts of my job. It was fun to be a part of the process to develop new solutions for people's needs and the sharing of that experience with my co-workers. It was also a great environment to learn in - it was encouraged. Another side benefit was the global exposure to other people from around the world - I loved that. – less
Productive and a friendly place to work
Customer Care Advocate/ Call Center (Current Employee), Irving, TXNovember 21, 2014
Pros: long lunches. play xbox
Cons: lay off rate high
I worked in the tier 3 escalations department for Xbox Live customers. My job was very laid back but to the point. We had a quota that had to be met daily. My supervisor was very knowledgeable.
Great Company to Work For...
Mechanical Engineering Intern (Current Employee), San Diego, CANovember 21, 2014
Could see myself having a long career with Microsoft. Co-workers were great to work with and the management team were very down to earth and easy to communicate with.
Experience varies wildly depending on manager
Business Administrator (Former Employee), Redmond, WANovember 20, 2014
Pros: overall good benefits and compensation
Cons: high health insurance deductible; too much inner competition
Most managers stress work/life balance and want to see the people on their teams succeed on an individual as well as team level. When you work for one of them Microsoft is a great place to be. Sadly there are still too many managers who are just interested in furthering their own careers and who are sometimes just incompetent, and their opinion of you – more... can adversely affect your career for years. Try to connect with people who work for the team you're interviewing with to get an honest assessment of what kind of manager you'll be working for. – less
productive, co-operative and learning
Network Engineer (Current Employee), redmond, waNovember 19, 2014
productive, co-operative and learning. Flexible hours, wide range of infrastructure, relaxing work environment.
great company to work with
QA Manager (Former Employee), redmond,waNovember 19, 2014
Great place to work. Like the culture, people and process. Learnt the life cycle of projects. learnt many things from experienced colleagues
Great place to work depending on the job
IT Solution Manager (Former Employee), Redmond, WANovember 19, 2014
Microsoft is a great place to work depending on the job and people. Surprisingly, some of the people know very little about the technology they're working with, while others are actually the people creating the technology.
Challeging
Business Administrator (Former Employee), Redmond, WANovember 19, 2014
I was a contractor at Microsoft. I loved the work; very challenging. Although, it was very difficult to get hired as a direct employee.
Siloed organization, obsessive with targets and metrics
Marketing Manager (Current Employee), Sunnyvale, CANovember 17, 2014
Pros: compensation
Cons: corporate culture
The company is so large and so fixated on targets it is very difficult to get things done collaboratively with other units.
Great company
Partner Technical Consultant (Former Employee), Bangalore, KANovember 17, 2014
Pros: free lunch, breakfast, snacks, lot of outings, great work culture
Cons: no work life balance, men dominated
Its great company to work for
great future
great salary and other benefits
management is exceptional
but no work life balance
its just work work n work
Senior Global Marketing Operations Manager (Current Employee), Redmond, WANovember 15, 2014
Pros: always learning new skills
Cons: amount of internal reorganizations
Great people, fast paced, cutting edge technology and global impact
Supportive team
Test Associate at Kinect NUI (Former Employee), RedmondNovember 15, 2014
Had a very good experience working with a very supportive team. Our boss was a very considerate person and managed our team very efficiently.
SQL Server Database Administrator
Technical support (Former Employee), IndiaNovember 14, 2014
Provided me with technical growth and allowed me to work on latest technologies
Working at Microsoft
Software Test Engineer (Former Employee), Redmond, WANovember 14, 2014
Ran manual tests to verify the state of 3rd party apps against versions of Windows under development.

Microsoft is a great place to work. If you like technology, it's like working in a candy store.

Occasionally one could be expected to put in long hours, especially when it was close to release time.
Sell
Cloud Sales (Current Employee), RedmondNovember 14, 2014
Pros: free soda and coffee
Cons: lots of middle managers who have never managed anything but their checking account
Review Process is unfair and does not tie back to results.
Good company, strong new CEO
Co- workers are great and supportive
Nice benifits
About Microsoft work nature i experienced
System Analyst (Current Employee), Hyderabad, APNovember 13, 2014
It working good working with Microsoft and learn moretechnologies
Microsoft Technology is Great
SDET II/SENIOR SDET (Current Employee), Redmond, WANovember 13, 2014
Throughout my 10.3 Years of IT Career, I worked as Vendor at Microsoft for 6.1 years via Wipro Limited and 4.2 Years as Full Time Employee at Microsoft. I Love Microsoft and the People that I worked/working with.
Great place
Technical Support Supervisor (Former Employee), Boca Raton, FLNovember 13, 2014
Management staff are really involved with employees, and very approachable for improvements or ideas.

About Microsoft

Microsoft Corporation India Private Limited is a subsidiary of US software giant Microsoft Corporation headquartered in New Delhi. – Read more