Microsoft Employee Reviews

flexible hours
Corporate Accounts, Partner Sales and SMB Team (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 March 2016
good place to work ... management is good and location is prime - i enjoy working here - growth is there but only for full time employees
Microsoft
0365 Partner Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 April 2016
Pays well, this is a very cut throat atmosphere.
I only recommend if you have a very tough skin, if you enjoy travelling and not seeing your family for long lengths of time and expect to give 12 - 14 hours a day this is the company for you
Pros
Money is extremely good
Cons
14 - 16 hours a day
A good company trying to reinvent itself for the modern world
Software Design Engineer in Test II (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WA18 August 2014
Day-to-day Microsoft is generally fun, though how much fun depends on the team you are working with. The company is slowly trying to reinvent itself for a modern world, and sometimes fails to grasp the basics necessary for this task.

The company is generally good to work for, but some times seems driven more by doing what's right for the stock price instead of what's right for the customer and the employee.
Pros
Nice campus
Cons
Long hours; management that's slow to react
Amazing people, great tech but too many reorgs.
Senior Software Developer (contract) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 June 2015
I greatly enjoyed my time at Microsoft. The people there are top notch and technically brilliant. The company has great resources and very interesting technology. I was originally working with Microsoft Research which during my time there was shut down with no advanced warning. This seemed a bit too heavy handed. I was transferred to a product team and became the only person from my original group to retain employment. Less than a year later I was present for yet another reorg where all of the consultants (myself included) were let go. Chalk it up to good/bad luck. I would still not hesitate to recommend Microsoft as an employer.
Pros
Very smart, driven people.
Cons
Management reorgs.
Leading edge comany.
SERVICES EXECUTIVE (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 September 2015
Busy days with lots of interaction with customers and colleagues.

How to drive out customer requirements and understand desired business capabilities to be enabled by technology solutions.

Co-workers participate on a cross-functional team - highly team oriented with lots of support.

Hardest part was keeping up to date with changing technologies.

Most enjoyable was all of the changing technologies.
Pros
work hard - play hard
Cons
n/a
Lots of fun
Customer Service/Tech Support representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 July 2015
Working at Microsoft was nice. I learned some good computer skills and how to process returns and reship orders. I also learned how to troubleshoot Windows 8 operating system. Management was nice, but they didn't always keep you in the loop because we were only temps. My co-workers were fun and enjoyable to be around. The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was able to help the angry customers and come up with solutions so they would be happy customers by the end of the phone call.
Pros
Always Interesting
Cons
Irate Customers
Tough, but fun and stimulating
GROUP MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WA12 November 2013
I loved working at Microsoft. They really did have a culture of trying to make work fun, interesting and compelling. The work was hard, and hours were long, but one got a real sense of having done something worthwhile, not because the products were that fabulous but because management tried to show that they valued everyone's contributions.
Pros
Treat you fairly and pay you well
Cons
Constant change can be discombobulating
Great Job Great Customers Great Team
Account Executive - Public Sector (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 November 2015
The one thing I enjoyed most about being an account executive was meeting new people. I have met some amazing people over the years. Also, since it was a company that continued to grow/change it kept my job always interesting.
Productive, Enthusiastic to learn something new, Music, Cricket
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB10 February 2015
Learned so many things and good people and so helpful, great experience, helpful and nice work place. Always love to work with people like Opti and great Management and Wonderful Team work.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Long Hours
Amazing company
Business Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 March 2016
Absolute pleasure working for Microsoft. Amazing support, incredible people and coworkers. Learned so much from my time there.
A dynamic work experience.
PROMOTIONAL REPRESENTATIVE, BLACK CHALK MARKETING (Current Employee) –  Toronto19 March 2013
Arrival through Pearson security was always a friendly affair. Meeting travellers and informing them about the new Windows 8 was always a different and refreshing experience each time.

Management was great all around. They're friendly, considerate, encouraging, respectable, promote efficiency, knowledgeable, and helpful. The amount of time we all spent together allowed us to really become a team and we all eventually became friends even after the promotion ended. It was nice to look forward to coming into work and being around people you enjoyed being around. For example, when certains days felt longer than others it would be evident that we'd help one another pass the time. Throughout the duration of the program, we always learned from one another and were really beyond knowledgeable about Windows 8 and its products by the end of the program.

Although the job itself I could not consider in any way difficult, sometimes certain frustrations would arise due to faulty internet or software hiccups which would embarrassingly affect our pitches.

I really enjoyed the concept of "counting the wow's". To me "wow's" confirmed that the product experience we were sharing would be something very memorable for whoever I would be speaking to.
Very good management.
Gold Partner Technical Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 May 2015
A typical day involved answering calls from Microsoft Gold Partners for both technical and non technical issues.
Learned to resolve issue based on good business practice.
Management encouraged thinking out of the box.
Microsoft employees always available to assist when needed and contract workers always cooperated when their help was needed.
The hardest part was resoling issues when third parties involved.
The best part of the job was helping people with their issues.
Pros
Working for Microsoft.
Cons
Short term contract.
Dream Company
Territory Manager - Education Solution - SMS&P (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 January 2016
nothing but positive things i never love a job more than this where i learn so much things from so many people for always be grateful for the experience
Pros
is one of the best companies in the world
Cons
nothing bad to say
Consulting in Xbox through Simplicity
Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, Wa6 March 2014
Amazing opportunities and relationships that Simplicity has in top groups at Microsoft. Day to day experience dependent on your Microsoft manager, Simplicity makes an effort to bridge the gap and reach out for feedback but it is ultimately up to you. As in all consulting, job security is iffy, but if you build your network as you go and save for the breaks of employment you incur, you will love it. The pay is much higher then FTE roles at other companies.
Pros
Free sodas at Microsoft, Fun products, some of the perks of workign alongside msft employees
Cons
Lack of job security, Questioning whether the agency has you or the clients best interest
Exciting Work, Always Leading the Pack
Senior Analyst/Excel/ SQL Reporting (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WA19 June 2013
I enjoyed working with Microsoft. Everyone is dedicated and fully vested in the projects I worked on. I always had a sense that I was part of the pack, leading the way.

As a consultant with them I enjoyed the flexible work schedule, working from home or on the road if needed. Offices are not terribly elaborate but everyone has a door they can close. Getting the right equipment to use while developing was never difficult, as a company they upgrade to new technology every two years or so.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Demanding, results oriented environment, highly competitive.
Latest technologies
SDE 2 (Current Employee) –  Redmond, ON30 November 2014
As we follow Scrum, our day starts with a standup where everyone needs to provide updates on previous day work. we generally keep sprint small 2 weeks.

Initial days of sprint , team is mostly in design discussions and creating design documents.

Middle of the sprint goes in feature development and writing unit test cases. Coordinate with test team on new feature design and test case reviews.

In last, we write build & deployment automation scripts. Coordinate with system engineer team for deployment & support in production.
Pros
Latest technologies
Cons
Politics
Productive and a fun Place to work
Education Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Montreal Qc5 September 2012
Completed Courses (Microsoft University)

OEM/Hardware Training
One Note
Visual Studio
Windows 7
Office 2010
Pros
well located
Cons
takes too long to becaome direct employee
Great Company - Long Hours
Community Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 August 2015
Great company - but long hours

You'll dedicate a lot of extra time working nights and weekends, but you do get a lot of perks ie free technology. They really do place high emphasis on giving back
lovely place
Product Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2015
great place to work, great people, fun environment. enjoyed he culture. Helps you develop your skills and build your networks. colleagues were the best part. we also got free meals.
Poor management
Product Advisor and Community Development Captain (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 August 2015
Overall a fun place to work but poor management makes it not as enjoyable to stay. If it was better managed it would be a good place to work because it's a very laid back environment for a sales position.

4.2