Microsoft Employee Reviews

Amazing company
Business Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 March 2016
Absolute pleasure working for Microsoft. Amazing support, incredible people and coworkers. Learned so much from my time there.
Leading edge comany.
SERVICES EXECUTIVE (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON13 September 2015
Busy days with lots of interaction with customers and colleagues.

How to drive out customer requirements and understand desired business capabilities to be enabled by technology solutions.

Co-workers participate on a cross-functional team - highly team oriented with lots of support.

Hardest part was keeping up to date with changing technologies.

Most enjoyable was all of the changing technologies.
Pros
work hard - play hard
Cons
n/a
Great Experience with Microsoft
Sales Support Manager/Analytical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, Canada13 November 2015
I have very good experience of working with Microsoft. It's great to work with a bunch of creative and brilliant ppl here. If you want to learn and sharpen your business skill, Microsoft could be a place to go.
Great Job Great Customers Great Team
Account Executive - Public Sector (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 November 2015
The one thing I enjoyed most about being an account executive was meeting new people. I have met some amazing people over the years. Also, since it was a company that continued to grow/change it kept my job always interesting.
Microsoft is a great company
Senior Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 October 2015
Its a great place to work!
I just wish there was room for growth, the people are great to work with. Positive vibes could be used more in the workplace .
Pros
food and drinks provided, funny group to work with, teamwork is amazing
Cons
Negativity in the workplace, but thats everywhere
Lots of fun
Customer Service/Tech Support representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 July 2015
Working at Microsoft was nice. I learned some good computer skills and how to process returns and reship orders. I also learned how to troubleshoot Windows 8 operating system. Management was nice, but they didn't always keep you in the loop because we were only temps. My co-workers were fun and enjoyable to be around. The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry customers. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I was able to help the angry customers and come up with solutions so they would be happy customers by the end of the phone call.
Pros
Always Interesting
Cons
Irate Customers
National distribution manager
Distribution & Logistics Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 August 2015
Great place to work, met Bill Gates a number of times, co-workers were fun to work with, reviews were always a challenge, learned the meaning of hard work and invested a lot of hours, learne tecnical knowledge and I was very excited to work there.
Pros
Great enviorment
Cons
Peoples skills
Amazing people, great tech but too many reorgs.
Senior Software Developer (contract) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON2 June 2015
I greatly enjoyed my time at Microsoft. The people there are top notch and technically brilliant. The company has great resources and very interesting technology. I was originally working with Microsoft Research which during my time there was shut down with no advanced warning. This seemed a bit too heavy handed. I was transferred to a product team and became the only person from my original group to retain employment. Less than a year later I was present for yet another reorg where all of the consultants (myself included) were let go. Chalk it up to good/bad luck. I would still not hesitate to recommend Microsoft as an employer.
Pros
Very smart, driven people.
Cons
Management reorgs.
Very good management.
Gold Partner Technical Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 May 2015
A typical day involved answering calls from Microsoft Gold Partners for both technical and non technical issues.
Learned to resolve issue based on good business practice.
Management encouraged thinking out of the box.
Microsoft employees always available to assist when needed and contract workers always cooperated when their help was needed.
The hardest part was resoling issues when third parties involved.
The best part of the job was helping people with their issues.
Pros
Working for Microsoft.
Cons
Short term contract.
Poor management
Product Advisor and Community Development Captain (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 August 2015
Overall a fun place to work but poor management makes it not as enjoyable to stay. If it was better managed it would be a good place to work because it's a very laid back environment for a sales position.
Great place to work that was 100% focused on providing top class customer service with exceptional store set up on a daily basis.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 March 2015
A great experience to open the second Microsoft Retail store in Canada from day one. The ability to do multiple 1 on 1's daily to invest in our associates was incredibly rewarding as the Leadership Team was able to promote ove 8 staff in my tenure at Microsoft.
Great Company - Long Hours
Community Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 August 2015
Great company - but long hours

You'll dedicate a lot of extra time working nights and weekends, but you do get a lot of perks ie free technology. They really do place high emphasis on giving back
Latest technologies
SDE 2 (Current Employee) –  Redmond, ON30 November 2014
As we follow Scrum, our day starts with a standup where everyone needs to provide updates on previous day work. we generally keep sprint small 2 weeks.

Initial days of sprint , team is mostly in design discussions and creating design documents.

Middle of the sprint goes in feature development and writing unit test cases. Coordinate with test team on new feature design and test case reviews.

In last, we write build & deployment automation scripts. Coordinate with system engineer team for deployment & support in production.
Pros
Latest technologies
Cons
Politics
Microsoft
Customer Advocacy Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON28 October 2014
I was chosen as manager of a newly created queue called One Team. This entailed the ongoing task of creating and updating thirty-three templates that covered various scenarios and call generators, and responding to the clients and issues they represented.
These templates became the response tools for Microsoft One team cases, and are currently being used as responses from Microsoft for Canada, the United States, and Great Britain. Recently they were translated to both Spanish and Portuguese for use in Latin America.
Pros
Cons
Temporary Position
lovely place
Product Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 September 2015
great place to work, great people, fun environment. enjoyed he culture. Helps you develop your skills and build your networks. colleagues were the best part. we also got free meals.
A good company trying to reinvent itself for the modern world
Software Design Engineer in Test II (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WA18 August 2014
Day-to-day Microsoft is generally fun, though how much fun depends on the team you are working with. The company is slowly trying to reinvent itself for a modern world, and sometimes fails to grasp the basics necessary for this task.

The company is generally good to work for, but some times seems driven more by doing what's right for the stock price instead of what's right for the customer and the employee.
Pros
Nice campus
Cons
Long hours; management that's slow to react
Consulting in Xbox through Simplicity
Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, Wa6 March 2014
Amazing opportunities and relationships that Simplicity has in top groups at Microsoft. Day to day experience dependent on your Microsoft manager, Simplicity makes an effort to bridge the gap and reach out for feedback but it is ultimately up to you. As in all consulting, job security is iffy, but if you build your network as you go and save for the breaks of employment you incur, you will love it. The pay is much higher then FTE roles at other companies.
Pros
Free sodas at Microsoft, Fun products, some of the perks of workign alongside msft employees
Cons
Lack of job security, Questioning whether the agency has you or the clients best interest
Game rooms, pool tables, and a fridge full of beers! (after 5 pm only)
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 October 2013
atypical day at work would include, receiving calls from home users to rectify their computer or PC issues. I learned how to probe and be patient in learning and understanding the customer needs. How to communicate resolutions to the presented problems in a simple vocab. co-workers were fun to work with. The hardest part of the job was the commute, as I was living a city away, none the less I was always there and on time.
Exciting Work, Always Leading the Pack
Senior Analyst/Excel/ SQL Reporting (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WA19 June 2013
I enjoyed working with Microsoft. Everyone is dedicated and fully vested in the projects I worked on. I always had a sense that I was part of the pack, leading the way.

As a consultant with them I enjoyed the flexible work schedule, working from home or on the road if needed. Offices are not terribly elaborate but everyone has a door they can close. Getting the right equipment to use while developing was never difficult, as a company they upgrade to new technology every two years or so.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Demanding, results oriented environment, highly competitive.
Productive and a fun Place to work
Education Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Montreal Qc5 September 2012
Completed Courses (Microsoft University)

OEM/Hardware Training
One Note
Visual Studio
Windows 7
Office 2010
Pros
well located
Cons
takes too long to becaome direct employee

4.2