Microsoft Employee Reviews in Canada

Amazing people, great tech but too many reorgs.
Senior Software Developer (contract) (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJune 2, 2015
I greatly enjoyed my time at Microsoft. The people there are top notch and technically brilliant. The company has great resources and very interesting technology. I was originally working with Microsoft Research which during my time there was shut down with no advanced warning. This seemed a bit too heavy handed. I was transferred to a product team and became the only person from my original group to retain employment. Less than a year later I was present for yet another reorg where all of the consultants (myself included) were let go. Chalk it up to good/bad luck. I would still not hesitate to recommend Microsoft as an employer.
Pros
Very smart, driven people.
Cons
Management reorgs.
Very good management.
Gold Partner Technical Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMay 12, 2015
A typical day involved answering calls from Microsoft Gold Partners for both technical and non technical issues.
Learned to resolve issue based on good business practice.
Management encouraged thinking out of the box.
Microsoft employees always available to assist when needed and contract workers always cooperated when their help was needed.
The hardest part was resoling issues when third parties involved.
The best part of the job was helping people with their issues.
Pros
Working for Microsoft.
Cons
Short term contract.
Poor management
Product Advisor and Community Development Captain (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ONAugust 6, 2015
Overall a fun place to work but poor management makes it not as enjoyable to stay. If it was better managed it would be a good place to work because it's a very laid back environment for a sales position.
Great Company - Long Hours
Community Development Specialist (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONAugust 5, 2015
Great company - but long hours

You'll dedicate a lot of extra time working nights and weekends, but you do get a lot of perks ie free technology. They really do place high emphasis on giving back
lovely place
Product Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONSeptember 3, 2015
great place to work, great people, fun environment. enjoyed he culture. Helps you develop your skills and build your networks. colleagues were the best part. we also got free meals.
Great place to work that was 100% focused on providing top class customer service with exceptional store set up on a daily basis.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABMarch 26, 2015
A great experience to open the second Microsoft Retail store in Canada from day one. The ability to do multiple 1 on 1's daily to invest in our associates was incredibly rewarding as the Leadership Team was able to promote ove 8 staff in my tenure at Microsoft.
Great Place
Inventory Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 22, 2015
Great places to work, diverse staff and potential to learn everything about Microsoft. Always room for advancement. Helpful managers that will help you reach your career goals.
Cons
retails hours
Good training program
Product Advisor (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BCJune 13, 2015
Loved working there since they try their best to fit around my school schedule. Co-workers provided every aspect of training to make sure we stay on task.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
hours vary from time to time
Latest technologies
SDE 2 (Current Employee) –  Redmond, ONNovember 30, 2014
As we follow Scrum, our day starts with a standup where everyone needs to provide updates on previous day work. we generally keep sprint small 2 weeks.

Initial days of sprint , team is mostly in design discussions and creating design documents.

Middle of the sprint goes in feature development and writing unit test cases. Coordinate with test team on new feature design and test case reviews.

In last, we write build & deployment automation scripts. Coordinate with system engineer team for deployment & support in production.
Pros
latest technologies
Cons
politics
Good Place to learn
Digital Community Manager - Partner (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONMarch 30, 2015
Good place to learn how companies work on a marketing standpoint.
Not great in terms of getting mentorship and guidance as a contractor.
would recommend to anyone who's innovative, a born leader and ready to compete against their fellow coworkers.
Microsoft
Customer Advocacy Manager (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 28, 2014
I was chosen as manager of a newly created queue called One Team. This entailed the ongoing task of creating and updating thirty-three templates that covered various scenarios and call generators, and responding to the clients and issues they represented.
These templates became the response tools for Microsoft One team cases, and are currently being used as responses from Microsoft for Canada, the United States, and Great Britain. Recently they were translated to both Spanish and Portuguese for use in Latin America.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
temporary position
Very productive
Bilingual English & French Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 11, 2015
Microsoft being one of the world biggest technology company and absolutely a mother of the most used window i learned a lot and am willing to share a lot
Great people, company growing and changing for the better.
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  CanadaDecember 8, 2014
Highly matrixed organization
Microsoft Canada limited in its ability to function outside of Corps direction
Great people, generally positive environment
Growth targets difficult to sustain
Limited room for promotion outside of Central regions
Pros
great training and growth
Cons
high targets
A good company trying to reinvent itself for the modern world
Software Design Engineer in Test II (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAAugust 18, 2014
Day-to-day Microsoft is generally fun, though how much fun depends on the team you are working with. The company is slowly trying to reinvent itself for a modern world, and sometimes fails to grasp the basics necessary for this task.

The company is generally good to work for, but some times seems driven more by doing what's right for the stock price instead of what's right for the customer and the employee.
Pros
nice campus
Cons
long hours; management that's slow to react
Consulting in Xbox through Simplicity
Product Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WaMarch 6, 2014
Amazing opportunities and relationships that Simplicity has in top groups at Microsoft. Day to day experience dependent on your Microsoft manager, Simplicity makes an effort to bridge the gap and reach out for feedback but it is ultimately up to you. As in all consulting, job security is iffy, but if you build your network as you go and save for the breaks of employment you incur, you will love it. The pay is much higher then FTE roles at other companies.
Pros
free sodas at microsoft, fun products, some of the perks of workign alongside msft employees
Cons
lack of job security, questioning whether the agency has you or the clients best interest
Productive, Enthusiastic to learn something new, Music, Cricket
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, ABFebruary 10, 2015
Learned so many things and good people and so helpful, great experience, helpful and nice work place. Always love to work with people like Opti and great Management and Wonderful Team work.
Pros
free lunches
Employee (Former Employee) –  Mississauga OntarioJune 16, 2015
Fun people with high energy and great environment - sometimes too fast paced but overall a great place to work. I would go back if I had the opportunity
Game rooms, pool tables, and a fridge full of beers! (after 5 pm only)
IT Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 29, 2013
atypical day at work would include, receiving calls from home users to rectify their computer or PC issues. I learned how to probe and be patient in learning and understanding the customer needs. How to communicate resolutions to the presented problems in a simple vocab. co-workers were fun to work with. The hardest part of the job was the commute, as I was living a city away, none the less I was always there and on time.
Exciting Work, Always Leading the Pack
Senior Analyst/Excel/ SQL Reporting (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WAJune 19, 2013
I enjoyed working with Microsoft. Everyone is dedicated and fully vested in the projects I worked on. I always had a sense that I was part of the pack, leading the way.

As a consultant with them I enjoyed the flexible work schedule, working from home or on the road if needed. Offices are not terribly elaborate but everyone has a door they can close. Getting the right equipment to use while developing was never difficult, as a company they upgrade to new technology every two years or so.
Pros
flexible work hours
Cons
demanding, results oriented environment, highly competitive.
Productive and a fun Place to work
Education Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Montreal QcSeptember 5, 2012
Completed Courses (Microsoft University)

OEM/Hardware Training
One Note
Visual Studio
Windows 7
Office 2010
Pros
well located
Cons
takes too long to becaome direct employee

4.2