Microsoft Employee Reviews

If you work with a good manager
Business Intelligence Data Analyst/ Data Engineer (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WA7 November 2017
Some managers are good but some are awful. I have worked with both types. The company is too big and doesn't care about the individual. it is just a matter of luck working with an easy going and kind manager. The last manager I had was an awful woman that made me to leave the job after 2 weeks.
Pros
Great learning experience
Cons
Bad management, Dirty politics
A terrific place for students and new grads to work while at school or freshly graduated from college/university
Consumer Product Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2017
The Microsoft Store offers a great place to work for students, new professionals, and those looking to get a foot in the door to get into the service advising, and/or technical field. There are many opportunities to progress in the retail and field service lines, and I'd recommend this place to especially students looking for a great full-time or part-time position to work.

There's always something new to do, whether it is try new products, offer different solutions to customers, and great great learning situations for each person. I learnt quite a bit, the benefits were terrific, and the management were very relaxed and gave you the platform to set yourself up for success.
Pros
Amazing benefits, fun environment to work in
Cons
Retail hours, gets busy in holiday season
Sales office with little customer or employee focus.
Account Delivery Executive (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 September 2017
The local office is not a good representation of the global brand. If you really want to work for Microsoft, this would be better achieved in the US.
Excellent work environment
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WA6 September 2017
good working environment, was a good experience working in Microsoft, cross functional team interaction, was able to gain knowledge in different areas basically on the SCM, integration services and technology perspective.
A new Challenge everyday
Senior Technical Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 August 2017
Working for the retail store has allowed me to strengthen my customer service abilities, while allowing customers to be more productive and achieve more.
Pros
Great benefits, perks
Cons
Long hours, punch clock
The best place I have ever worked
Functional Analyst (Former Employee) –  Redmond, WA16 August 2017
Microsoft is indeed the best place I have worked. Totally loved everything about them, the work, the culture, the environment. My team was moving to offshore and I had to move of the job as I couldn't relocate. I would love to go back to Microsoft.
First Line Troubleshooting
Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 August 2017
On a daily basis we would receive anywhere from 30-50 calls from individuals having any problems with a Microsoft related product.

If the product was purchased directly from Microsoft they would receive free support and ensured a repair would be done. If the product was a COE product we would require a payment for the support. It was imperative to have strong customer service as most people who purchase a Microsoft product i.e. Windows do not purchase it directly from Microsoft.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Office moved to a new location
not bad
Technical Account Manager (Former Employee) –  remote1 August 2017
too focused on metrics and not enough on the actual work and opinions of the customers. very demanding but flexible. other memebers of the team were very helpful
Good Place to gain skills
N/A (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON25 July 2017
Its a great place to gain workplace ethics and skills. unfortunately not a lot of growth

It can get stressful at time but that is any job. it can get political also
Excellent place to work
Team Lead, Post Sales and Business Development (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 July 2017
Software company with great latitude of progression and innovation. Leader in their industry and segments. Would love to have the opportunity to have become full time but contractor.
Being a PFE at Microsoft can be a frustrating experience
Premier Field Engineer (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC20 June 2017
Microsoft is a whole lot more disorganized than I was expecting. Also there is very little training (if you think that you're going to learn all of the secret stuff that no one else knows... probably not).

PFE is also not very hands-on (the general consensus is that you don't touch the keyboard, you advise), also there isn't any design work... so maintaining your skills can be a challenge.

Also you'll be on the road a lot in most cases.
Cons
surprisingly disorganized, poor work-life balance
Great Place to be empowered
Senior Partner Sales Executive (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 May 2017
Great working environment lots of pressure but great fun and job. Day to day quarter to quarter you are always learning and the environment is fast pace no time to be bored.
Under Satisfied
Product Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 May 2017
Very hard to move up in this company. Managers have their favourites and they are the ones that seem to rise.

Also this company used to be focused on making the customer happy, now everything has changed and we were told to push customers to upsell and and sell them things they didn't need.
Loved it.
Business Group Administrator (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON19 April 2017
Great place to work, very flexible with work hours. Management is supportive and works with you to move forward with personal goals. The hardest part is keeping in contact have have a close work culture. The most enjoyable is the comraderie.
Positive learning experience
Service Centre Analyst (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 March 2017
Very knowledgeable colleagues willing to assist you in your development.

Work experience will differ greatly depending on the manager you have.

Contract employment is common here.
Pros
excellent management
Cons
poor location
Excellent Culture and Team
Dynamics Solution Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 March 2017
Working at MSFT helped me learn many of the solution offerings Microsoft develops to help customers run better. I was happy to be part of the Dynamics Team and Azure launch in Canada.
Great company
Customer & Partner Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 March 2017
Full time contract employee. Great culture but if your not a full time employee no room for advancement and benefits are very poor. Management need to learn how to communicate with employees.
Worked through consulting firm and there is no recognization
Customer and Partner Advocacy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 March 2017
Working through consulting firm - nobody cares about personal growth, no matter how much one has achieved doing the job.
After hiring, job requirement changed and management kept pushing what ever MS required to meet their goals compared to what position was advertised and hiring was done. Do not expect such big company to be so much off.
Consulting firm does not recognize or pay attention to the work that is done by the candidates, no pay raise or proper guidance given.
Sad to see Microsoft encouraging this kind of behavior.
Pros
Microsoft
Cons
Mis management by managers and consulting firms
Negative place to work
Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 February 2017
Initially the job is exciting and you get to learn a lot of new things, but management is fairly horrible. The team you work with are very accepting and easy to get along with but depending on who you become friends with management has a strong bias and will negatively review you for it.

While they promote a Growth mindset work environment, only the staff in charge of training harbour it, managers believe they are above all and only promote growth in the people they like/favor. If you try to grow on your own, you tend to be shunned by management as they only want you to grow under there watchful eyes.

Don't get me wrong managers are nice people, they just don't know how to handle there positions well. They take any criticism as personal attacks and attempt to force you to believe their opinions are better then yours and you wont convince them otherwise.
Pros
hour lunches, learn about new tech before everyone else, Chill co-workers
Cons
poor management, low-no schedual flexibility for full-time.
extremely good company with lots of benefits
Surface sales specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC7 February 2017
My job consisted of being sent to two best buy stores to promote and sell Microsoft products primarily surrounding the Microsoft surface pro and Microsoft surface. My job consisted of training and development of the staff of the best buy stores I was sent to as well as being able to sell independently without any management around to support me. I was responsible of getting a customer interested planting all of the necessary seeds and then passing it off to a best buy employee to finish the sale. I learned how to work on my own and be able to merchandise manage my own time and self and learn new selling techniques that would further benefit me in terms of building relationships with customers and believing in what I sell. I learned a lot about Microsoft software, operating system and the products itself. I built very good relationships with the district manager and territory manager of Microsoft itself. During this time I build excellent relationships with the staff that worked in Best Buy. The hardest part of my job was that repetitiveness of the job and not being able to do more then what I was there for. Otherwise the company and job itself was an amazing opportunity that taught me many things.
Pros
contract

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Microsoft. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2