Microsemi Employee Reviews

Beautiful office loated in Aliso Viejo
Confidential (Current Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CAApril 15, 2016
Good company with good benefits and benefit options. Work life balance is up to you (you need to set boundaries). Employees are nice, long term, and hard working. Managers are fair, bad ones never last. Systems are up to date and the company is always making changes for the better. Always expanding.
Pros
Growth opportunity if you are motivated
Cons
Behind on 401(k) match, but at least they have a match
A total chaos with a crazy failed management
engineer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 8, 2016
This company is the worst place you can work for. People talk behind each other backs to cover their own behind. The management has hired a bunch of dysfunctional directors that are totally useless. They are very immature for their level of management. It really makes you wonder how they've possessed those titles. Some of these directors have been there for many years, and they're protected by the upper management, so it doesn't matter how badly they run the group, they won't be touched. You will also see some directors with no prior experience (Microsemi is their first company), and they don't know how to behave as a director. They're very unprofessional, and don't follow any rules, company etiquette, or policies, and it's only a matter of time before they get slapped with a lawsuit.
The level of expectation is completely ridiculous. You work 12 hours a day, and they're still complaining. There are no benefits for engineers in this company. Engineers get no stock options or RSUs, and there are no ESPP in this company. These benefits are available only to directors and above; basically to the useless part of the company. Every year engineers get 20 hours of pay as a bonus, yes 20 hours. That's not a typo.
Microsemi acquires different companies, but doesn't know how to integrate them, and top management looks like a deer in headlights. All they do is misuse their power, and waste company's money at a fast rate.
Pros
You get the chance to work 12 hours/day
Cons
Lousy health care plan, no incentives, no clear direction, nothing....
Friendly and busy department, left to your own initive but had to keep pace with colleagues, Data Entry can be very repeaditive and tiring.
Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ennis, County ClareFebruary 17, 2016
Data Entry: Tedious and needs a lot of attention to detail.
Scanning: Scan all documents to computer.
Reception Relief: Mornings Break Relief, our dept took it in weekly rotation.
Not much contact with management.
co-workers friendly and helpful.
hardest part of job: concentration of repedative work
enjoyable part of job: my work colleagues very friendly.
Employee of MICROSEMI due to an acquisition of pmc
Staff Product Design (Current Employee) –  bangaloreFebruary 4, 2016
MICROSEMI (was PMC-SIERRA) is a very good company for some one to learn and grow. Very good work culture. PMC-SIERRA is one of the leading ASIC provider for storage controllers and OTN. This gives an opportunity to work on some latest standards and complex designs.

Their compensation is also god. They give shares.
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MADecember 31, 2015
I worked with my team and everyday we looked for a job and completed it. If there was a hot job, we needed to do it first as a priority.
Be very Careful
NA (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 24, 2015
If you are not part of the "click" and like to be on the outside and never feel totally welcome, then this may be the right place for you.

Just remember, that you this company can be very hostel and talk out of both sides of their mouth.

Perception is that top management uses company funds as their own piggy bank and decisions are made for political reasons.

I would not want to work there.
Review
MBA Consultant (Former Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CAAugust 10, 2015
Not at all a good company to work for.
People are in closed door environment and are not accessible.

Never felt that there could be a career at this company.
Productive and fun
Warehouse Clerk (Current Employee) –  NCRJune 19, 2015
Hectic schedule due to workload.
With good management and working environment.
Low salary to support your daily needs.
Pros
free food and transportation allowances
Cons
overtime
• Results-driven, skilled Production Manager focused on achieving success and increased productivity through improvements in operations, quality, safe
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAApril 16, 2015
Qualified Production Manager with 10 years of manufacturing management experience, including cross-training and scheduling employees, ordering parts, record keeping and meeting all production deadlines
Pros
Bonus every year
Cons
Good benefits
Good team of engineers, horrible management from top down
Engineer (Former Employee) –  FTDJanuary 28, 2015
Managers are not fact/data-driven. Benefits are not good.
Stagnant company
FTD System Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 22, 2015
Decent company but lacks growth and unable to keep employees.
Productive place to work with great team members
Corporate Applications Engineer (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 18, 2014
Heavy workload and a quick paced environment. Lots of critical items with tight deadlines, but that's also the fun part.
The overall environment is relaxed, and most people in the organization are very helpful and friendly.
n/a
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  West Lafayette, INAugust 11, 2014
Interesting company to work for, Microsemi has a habit of buying small companies and bringing them into the Microsemi family.
Self-respecting Engineers should look elsewhere
Engineer (Former Employee) –  USAJune 11, 2014
"We made $26M on this project. But our investors will be happy if we make $28M. So, we are letting go of 15 Engineers. None of this has to do with your performance. We take good care of our investors, you see".
Pros
a few tireless engineers
Cons
management, attitude towards employees, benefits
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAApril 3, 2014
Enjoy the job, but don't count on corporate loyalty in exchange for your hard work.
Pros
flexible hours
Good Conditions workplace
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAFebruary 18, 2014
I learned how to work as team, high quality and responsible.
My co-workers were very nice and gentle helper.
The most enjoyable part of the job was that I worked with great supervisor and all co-worker.
Pros
free meats in holiday and bing-go games
Typical Big Business
Payroll Clerk/Finance Support (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, MAJanuary 10, 2014
7 years ago when I first started there it was a great company to work for big business with the small business feel. Supervisors and Managers were open and helpful. Then the market sunk things changed and it has gone down hill from there.

Many many many people lost their jobs due to product changing to outside countries. This may hurt me in my search but it became a cold place to work and even though being laid off has been the hardest thing ever I believe I am better off having been let go.

I am a person that is hard working and a real people person watching good people loss jobs they have been at for over 20 years was very difficult to see happening.
Pros
co-workers were amazing people
Cons
most work is now overseas it is becoming a cold company to work for.
Not a Healthy work environment, poor management from the top down.
Technician 5 (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CaNovember 20, 2013
A work day consisted of being told what to do, how to do it, and when it was needed done by managers who had no idea of the time and materials or technical barriers involved. Unrealistic expectations. When quotas weren't met, yelling would insue, lots of back stabbing and sometimes, SEVEAR verbal abuse.
Management never cared for any kind of work life balance forcing people to work over MAJOR holidays and canceling vactions at a moments notice for production concerns.
Never any pay raises or merit increases, deminishing health benefits, last minute demands for overtime irregardless of personal commitments under threat of being fired.
Management of the facility I worked in from the TOP on DOWN were awful. They couldn't get materials on time, couldn't nail down specs, couldn't design or find suppliers who got parts that worked to our needs.
Pros
great co-workers who cared for each other
Cons
management management management
Wafer Fab Operator (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZOctober 27, 2013
Typical engineering job that challenges you on a day to day basis. Employees are amazing.
Pros
compensation and flexibility
Cons
higher management
Exciting, Innovative, Cutting Edge
Programming Intern (Current Employee) –  Aliso Viejo, CAJuly 17, 2013
A great opportunity to thrive and grow in a career if you are very hard working, self-motivated, and able to organize and manage your time well. Great culture and great co-workers.