Michaels

Michaels Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
It was okay
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Kissimmee, FLAugust 9, 2014
Everything was fine until I moved and then i was treated poorly for not being able to be on call 24/7 and my commute was too long. No one worked with me on being able to transfer
learned alot
Manager (Former Employee), Orlando FloridaAugust 6, 2014
Pros: learned hoe to deal with the pulnic
Cons: durnk people and dealing with them
It was great experience, and I had the opportunity to get my own establishment.
Productive, hard working, and well going job.
Cashier (Former Employee), Royal Palm Beach, FLAugust 5, 2014
My typical day at work was when my manager told me that I'm doing great the reason why for the complement is that I just started working for them and they never seen anyone remembering the the items in the store so quickly.What I learn is to have fast past when working and to do multiple things at the same time.
Fast-Paced, Friendly Atmosphere
Freight Team Associate (Former Employee), Keller, TXJuly 30, 2014
Pros: friendly atmosphere, helpful associates
Cons: often unreasonable time constraints, infrequent breaks or lunches
The job was pretty straight-forward and easy to handle. Learning to read the labels and identify aisle numbers and locations proved relatively simple, though training and explanation of this was limited. For the most part I had little to no interaction with the store manager/ assistant manager, relying almost completely on the Freight Team Lead. My co-workers were friendly and helpful, easy to get along with, and assisted with any training that was not provided. The hardest part of this job was the speed required by management, with almost no regard for the actual amount of time required to work the truck, resulting in many shifts that were scheduled to end at 10:30am, running until 1:30 or 2 pm. The most enjoyable part of the job was how quickly my fellow associates and myself would step in to help other associates complete their tasks.
fun and easy place to work
Support Specialist (Current Employee), Shiloh, ILJuly 30, 2014
Pros: you get an employee discount
Cons: no full time positions
I go in and count the drawers from the night before make sure every drawers starts out at the minimum in order to start the day. Then i count the deposit. After that is done then i look and see if their are any new price changes while im doing that usually ups or fedex show up recieve them in and then go to the bank with deposit and if need be change order. The store is intimidating its hard to believe all the different odds and ends of things you can find. So getting to know the store is a need to know to insure that you can find whatever the customer is looking for. Most enjoyable is you are always doing something different like helping in floral, or helping out in framing, even hosting a kids birthday party.
Great team and work ethic
Replenishment Crew (Current Employee), Joplin, MOJuly 27, 2014
The work i performed at Michaels was probably one of the harder jobs at the store. I worked replenishment and we set plan-o-grams and drive aisles, we made the store look good and clean. The team i work with is great we are hard workers and know how to have fun while we work. The hardest part yet the easiest part of the job is that it was early morning hours before the store opened.
fun place to work at
Cashier (Former Employee), Downey, CAJuly 26, 2014
Pros: awsome discounts
Cons: n/a
awesome place to work at great management .. a lot of interaction with customers, great team work and coworkers.
Get your work do and get out
Replenishment Team (Former Employee), Midland, MIJuly 25, 2014
Pros: nice crafts
Cons: drama
Has its ups and downs. Cold at times, management is clueless. Needs to improve employee relationship.
Recovery
SALES ASSOCIATE/CASHIER/REPLENISHMENT TEAM (Former Employee), South Gate, CAJuly 22, 2014
A typical day At this job goes by fast assisting all customers and co-workers. Each and everyday I learned something new like how to deal individually with every customer and their situations. My management was the best at how to keep everything working on the path and how to control all the stress caused. The good things about my co-workers was that they all knew their positions and how to do their job. They didn't need to wait to be instructed. The hardest Part of my job was to keep calm under certain circumstances. The most enjoyable part of the job was the experience of helping all the customers and their needs. I have always liked to help others and be able to assist on what they need so they could go home happy.
Michaels
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Lees Summit, MOJuly 21, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: angry customers
I am the backup cashier and floor associate so I put away all returns and make the store look great! I have 5 managers whom I love, they are very nice and understanding. The hardest part of the job is dealing with unpleased customers, they can be very rude. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping customers find what they need, it brightens my day to put smiles on people's faces.
Boys Club
Cashier (Former Employee), Fresh Meadows, NYJuly 15, 2014
Helping out my supervisor as she assist the kids to there new project each hour. Having the kids safe and making sure no one gets hurt. Most importantly make sure each child is happy and having fun
Nice people but not enough work time
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZJuly 13, 2014
Pros: pleasant people, free food.
Cons: little hours, a few unplleasant people.
I tended to work mornings which involved a lot of hustle and bustle because we had to try and get as much work done as possible before we opened. Once we opened we would work the floor as well as our typical replenishment duties, so it would slow down the stocking a bit. I work with a lot of enjoyable people, so the days tend to go by fairly quickly. The hardest part would have to be the fact that our hours vary a lot from week to week, so sometimes we will have a lot of hours and others we work only a few days. I learned a lot on customer service and how to really soak up what is taught to you so you can work really well.
Interesting workplace, kind co-workers
Cashier (Former Employee), Pinellas Park, FLJuly 7, 2014
Learned alot about arts and crafts, worked well with co-workers.
Management, Framing and Customer Service
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Westminster, COJuly 2, 2014
Pros: every job at michaels interested me and the day went by quickly.
Cons: i would spend too much of my paycheck there.
Michaels is a fun place to work. I enjoyed working with co-workers and also the public. You can work at Michaels as little or as much as you desire due to the fact it is open every day and has many shifts available.
Don't work here
Empowered Cashier (Former Employee), Roseville, CAJune 30, 2014
Breaks were never given, schedules were always being changed but management never bothered to tell you.
Great co-workers
Certified Custom Framer (Former Employee), Hagerstown, MDJune 25, 2014
Learned a lot about customer service, professionalism, and sales techniques.
Productive and fun work place at Michaels
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 22, 2014
cashiering, customers are nice, management is great, my co-workers are nice, the hardest part of the job is dealing with rude customers, and the most enjoyable part of the job is speaking with customers about their projects, weddings, and getting their artistic advice. Its a fun environment
easily revolves around school good environment
Sales Associate/ Cashier (Current Employee), ukiah caJune 16, 2014
working at michaels may not give you a ton of hour but it works around other life opportunities and getting days off is no problem. it is a very friendly environment
challenging environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAJune 10, 2014
this was a good complany to work for but I think that recently they have started to lose sight of their employees.
Curse of the Red Headed Stepchild
Frame Shop Manager (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJune 10, 2014
Pros: production, customers
Cons: complete scheduling nightmare, middle/upper mgmt out of touch
The best description that I can give about the job was I was a mule. Let me clarify. I loved framing. I loved working with the customers. What I did not love was being the only one scheduled in the frame shop for my entire shift with 20-25 orders due a day, taking care of a busy counter almost always by myself because the great majority of the floor associates as well as the store manager took to being behind the framing sales counter like cats to water. Add to this being MOD and having to run up to the front to take care of take of whatever and having to field phones calls or serve customers on the floor because no one else is available. It was expected that I could just be everywhere at once, a mule that could have weighed down with everything and anything until broken. By the end, the job was impossible to do with anything close to approaching satisfactory.

Specific to framing, the frame shop is just not considered a priority, it is the red headed stepchild of the store. Time and time again, HR would hire people completely unqualified for the job. People who could not read a measuring tape or do simple arithmetic to save their lives and did not get any better as time progressed. Training is a complete joke as in if you get four dedicated hours to 'train' the new hire, consider it a miracle. This should not come as a surprise since one DM voice that 'a monkey could do the (framing) job'. Always good to know you have such 'quality' support from middle management.

As to scheduling/hours, when there is only 3 or 4 people, including yourself, to run the store on any given day – more... or night, something is messed up. As for middle and upper management of the company, they are pretty much out of touch with day to day operations in their stores. When the DM or 'corporate' would visit, the store would get taken care of just for that meeting. Any 'unshop' would be boxed up and shoved into the warehouse and believe me, there was enough of it to fill a truck. There would be plenty of people scheduled for that day, but there would be at least one or two days of only 3 or 4 employees in the store at any given time in the same week after the visit because the DM would call and yell and scream about being budgeted over hours for that week. Scheduling was a nightmare. Sundays would have the most employees so that the stock and resets could be pushed onto the floor and then the rest of the week shifts were cut to compensate for this, which meant if it wasn't Sunday, expect a skeleton crew. Bottom line -- the company doesn't want you to do the job of two, they want you to do the job of at least four people. To add another perspective of working for the company, they hired two VPs that use to work for WalMart and SOPs were implemented that reflected that type of retail atmosphere. If I walked into a WalMart and then a Michaels, I don't think I'd be able to distinguish the difference. – less

About Michaels

Michaels Stores is crafty. The nation's #1 arts and crafts retailer owns and operates about 1,075 Michaels Stores across the US – Read more