Michaels Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun workplace which enhanced my work ethics
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newmarket OntarioMarch 21, 2015
At Michaels I was a cashier so my job each day was to cash out customers when they were ready to cash out and ensure they were satisfied with there customer service that they received. I was also responsible for helping any customers that needed help locating a product they were looking for and answering any questions they may have about any products. From this job I got a better understanding of the system and programs that they used which enhanced my technological abilities. All of the employees were great people to work with and made it an even more enjoyable place to work.
A very fun and professional environment to be a part of
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 1, 2014
A typical day at work includes: assisting lovely, and friendly customers finding products and assisting with project ideas. I have learned a lot about team work and cooperativeness. Management there is great. They understand you and make sure you are happy working there. My co-workers have become like family and my best friends. We all get along and it is such a friendly and outgoing environment to be a part of. The hardest part of my job is making sure that I help every single customer. It is hard and disapointing on yourself when you cannot help every customer that approaches you, but you do your best! The most enjoyable part of this job is meeting new people and learning fun new crafts to do on your spare time. I love the amount of creativity I can express.
Pros
amazing coworkers
Cons
not a lot of shift coverage
A super fun place to work, but you never know if you're going anywhere.
Framer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 3, 2014
I loved working for Michaels. 90% of the employees are fantastic people who love what they do, and really enjoy helping people. The other 10% make you not want to come to work. The management always appear to be very busy, so it is difficult to address problems or concerns with them. Sometimes when you do a really good job, someone will actually notice, and let you know. The hardest part of my job was not saying anything rude to certain people who thought they could do my job better than me. I was written up 3 times for things I didn't do, so the higher management needs to take a better look at their lower management.
Pros
lunchrooms, laid back junior management, no pressure.
Cons
terrible holiday hours. too easy to get written up.
I liked the people, but the hours were awful.
Re-stocker and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMay 16, 2015
The only problem I had and the main reason I no longer work part time there is because it was required that we be there at 5 am in the morning. Other than that it is a wonderful place to work.
Pros
Nice management.
Cons
Bad hours.
• Over 5 years of experience in customer service • Adaptable and flexible individual who is willing to learn and apply new skills efficiently • Reli
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 8, 2015
Over 5 years of experience in customer service
• Reliable, respectful toward others, and dedicated to get the job done
• Able to adapt to a fast pace, ever changing intense environment with minimal supervision
• Able to effectively deal with difficult issues with sound judgment
My typical day at work includes customer service, handling transactions .
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 24, 2014
A very fun place to work. Very interesting what customers are crafting. My job entails serving customers, helping them find what they need to do their craft. The management team helps out when you need them. They are very quick to give you a pat on the back. The co-workers are great to work with. The hardest part of this job is multi-tasking at times. The most enjoyable part of this job is the great customers you meet every day.
Pros
positive reinforcement upon your acomplishments
Cons
the only problem is we are very part-time.
fast paced workplace with awesome eployers
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABDecember 11, 2014
A typical day at work for me would be getting to the till and ringing customers in. I never know when or if i am going to get a break. I learned that you have to be fast paced and collect a lot of emails. The management at Michaels is well mannered. My co-workers are amazing people. The hardest part of my job is collecting the amount of emails they want. The most enjoyable part of my job is making sure all my customers are happy.
Pros
discounts
Cons
break times
A fun place to work for someone who loves arts and crafts like me
Part Time Jewelry Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, OntarioMarch 26, 2012
Reviewed with management the tasks for the day.
Learned how to set up displays, change signage, pricing, labeling according to the store standards.
I loved our management team, they were understanding, caring, compassionate, and reasonable.
I loved the team I started out with. It was a family unit, and everyone looked out for each other, and we had fun too.
The hardest part of my job, was to time manage tasks while dealing with customers.
Since I design and make jewelry, the I loved working in the beading department, and helping customers with their questions.
Pros
loved working with jewelry
Cons
working on sundays
Great place to work!
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 28, 2012
Michaels is a pretty neat place to work - the stock is always changing, new items are always coming in, and there is ALWAYS something to do. Michaels has loyal clients who often come in weekly with their coupon in-hand. This job can be physically demanding, but the hours fly by when you're busy.
Pros
job security, room for advancement, great management
Cons
fairly low pay, physically demanding
Hectic but fun when the hours are up.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMarch 2, 2015
During the Christmas hours it was hectic.. and I loved it! The fast pace, the happy customers buying their products, it was all so fun! The employees were all so friendly, it was like a family away from home. The hardest part for me was leaving, I had to move across town and it would have been harder to get to work. Plus the hours after Christmas decreased dramatically, so it wouldn't have covered much of my travel expenses. All in all, it was a great place to work.
Surrounded by Creativity
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCFebruary 16, 2014
Michaels was an incredibly rewarding place to work - I loved the creativity that surrounded the staff and company. The management and co-workers are highly helpful and intelligent. The hardest part was learning the ins-and-outs of the job.
Pros
creative environment
NIce Store
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sherbrooke, QCJuly 22, 2015
I learned the process of opening up a brand new store from scratch, they were very organized and was a great experience. THe only problem was the hours, there was not enough hours.
Customer Service based
Sales Associate and Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONAugust 21, 2014
A typical shift involves serving customers and ensuring they have an excellent experience to bring them back again in future.

I learned a lot about how to deal with customers who didn't get quite what they were hoping for. How to diffuse a situation effectively to reverse the negative opinion that may have been formed.

Management was tough on us, but they really just wanted the business to succeed and customers to have excellent service.

My co-workers were amazing. We were always willing to help one another out and work as a team.
Fun workplace
Cash/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New Minas, NSFebruary 25, 2015
Terrible hours, very erratic hours.
Great place to learn.
Very little opportunity for advancement.
I honestly love my job at Michaels. The issue is the very few hours even after being there for over a year.
Pros
fun atmosphere, great place to learn new skills, excellent discount
Cons
little hours.
Michaels Arts and Crafts is not an ideal workplace
Michaels Asscociate (Former Employee) –  Sarnia OntarioSeptember 8, 2014
At Michaels Arts and Crafts you deal with angry and grumpy customers on a daily basis. Michaels has very strict rules and policies that complicate everyday work. You will learn that if you are not friends with management you will be not favoured and constantly be told you have done something wrong. However, aside from management, co-workers are friendly and helpful. Having a job on the floor you are expected to keep work environment clean and tend to customers needs.
Pros
clean work environment
Cons
management
I don't kow what to write here
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBSeptember 24, 2012
The reason why I am still looking for a job/career is that I am only getting 8-9 hours a week here. I would like a full time or part time job to supplement this, since 8-9 hours does not pay the bills. Other than hours, I do like working at Michaels.
Pros
i enjoy the place and people
Cons
not enough hours
Was great Seasonal Work...
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stittsville, ONApril 29, 2015
Wish I could have stayed longer. It was easy to adjust to the flow of the work and the customers. I really enjoyed certain managers, who were approachable and nice. I really benefited working there. Was able to help apply for school, I learned that I am a reliable fast worker, who always said yes if asked to stay later or with another task.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
Seasonal
Very communicable person with good sense of humour.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCDecember 18, 2014
My typical day at work goes by very quickly. Always trying to stay as busy as possible. During break times I socialize with co-workers. Management at work is very organized and ready to help. The hardest part of the job is picking heavy stuff. The most enjoyable part is dealing with costumers. I meet very interesting people and I like helping everyone.
Fun to teach art to children
Fine Arts Teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 10, 2013
Micheals allows me to teach art to the children without any interference from management. I design the course, collect the materials and teach for as long as is necessary.

I haven't any co-workers in this position, I'm solo.

The hardest part is to select a painting to teach that will cover a broad age spectrum, nothing too difficult for the 7 year-old, but not too easy/boring for the 34 year-old.

The most enjoyable part is seeing a struggling student "get it" and then practice those techniques at home.
Pros
free art materials.
Cons
lots of time spent preparing for course - unpaid.
sales and assistance with customers (Current Employee) –  Kingston OnMay 2, 2014
I missed working with people after retiring from nursing after a career spanning 44.5 years. Being out in the public gives me something meaningful to occupy a few hours a week doing something I enjoy.
Pros
it is good exercise, i enjoy people in every walk of life, it is fun to help with new ideas or perfect the old ones.
Cons
not enough hours of work available

2.9