Michaels

Michaels Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Proactive and nice place to work.
Cake Decorator Instructor (Current Employee), Waynesville, NCMay 6, 2014
Pros: nice fellow employees
Cons: not enough student sign ups.
I like working with the employees and interacting with the customers.
Great place to work for young adults without responsibilities.
Certified Custom Framer/Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Henrico, VAMay 3, 2014
Pros: everyone is really nice! they are very welcoming to new comers. the store managers, supervisors, and district managers really have the employees best interest at heart.
Cons: very poor scheduling, new hires may see 4 hours one week or 8 hours the next but don't expect a lot, you can go days at a time without working, personally i think that if they realize you have too many hours they call and cut your shift, also i don't see how many of the workers with households to maintain are making a living, the pay is not all that great
I really enjoy working for Michaels! As a young adult without responsibilities, the pay is "okay" but not exactly what I expected for the position I work in.
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Rancho Cucamonga, CaMay 3, 2014
All the coworkers were friendly and helped me as much they could. Christmas time is hard there tho, as the customers are very rude.
We don't get to have fun.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Blue Springs, MOMay 3, 2014
Pros: it is a job.
Cons: rarely get a break, and when we have worked 6 hour shifts we get 30 min lunch, we rarely get 6 hours so we don't get a lunch break, they don't work enough people on a shift.
I have always enjoyed working and always gotten good reviews. We have gone through four managers since I came to work in KC. That is never a good situation and all co-workers not pleased with their job. There isn't a hard part to the job. I don't like to climb the tall ladder because of my age and most are young H S or College students. I have made – more... some nice friends but we don't socialize out side of work day. I am not getting enough hours and the pay is low and we only know our schedule one week in advance. This week I work Tues 9-3:30 and Thurs 9-3:30. – less
Very fun place to work,
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee), Springfield, ILMay 1, 2014
Pros: co-workers, customers, management will work with you
Cons: low pay, small raises
Always busy with something needing to be done. Down stocking and building new planograms constantly. Management works with you, as long as you work with them. Pay is not so good, small raises. The hardest part of the job is learning where things are at in the store, but that's pretty simple. Co-workers are the best part of this job, and helping the – more... customers. – less
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee), Greenville, SCApril 30, 2014
A typical day at work would include stocking merchandise, and being on the sales floor. Also checking customers out.
customer service
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Grafton, WIApril 27, 2014
Pros: employee discount
Cons: to much contradiction between managers and corporate
All of my day is spent interacting with the customers, making sure their needs are met and they know about our products. Ringing up customers purchases and also restocking product.
An okay place to work.
Replenishment Manager (Current Employee), Monaca, PAApril 26, 2014
Pros: discounts and family and employees days
Cons: health benefits
A typical day for me at Michaels would start at 5am, opening the store and then getting my crew of employees in to their routines for their shifts. I have learned to be a team leader and work in all areas of the store. My co-workers are all very easy to work with and get along with. The hardest part of the job is the never seems to be enough time in – more... the day to get things done, but we do get them done. The most enjoyable part the job is, I Love what I do, and I like working and helping customers and other employees. Management is always changing with Michaels no Manager stays in anyone store for more than 3 years, they are always being moved from store to store. – less
Easy and Fun
Front End Supervisor/Product Flow Coordinator (Former Employee), Texarkana, TXApril 24, 2014
Loved getting to know everyone here. If you are a crafty person, this is a great job for you.
It's great
Operations Coordinator - Flow (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLApril 23, 2014
Pros: benefits
It's great. I love the job but just looking for a change.It's great. I love the job but just looking for a change.It's great. I love the job but just looking for a change.It's great. I love the job but just looking for a change.It's great. I love the job but just looking for a change.It's great. I love the job but just looking for a change.It's great. – more... I love the job but just looking for a change. – less
So fun!
Cashier, seasonal stock/sales associate (Former Employee), Austin, TXApril 19, 2014
Love arts and crafts, this job allows me to apply my hobbies into the workplace, happy employees
Fast paced environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Chesterfield, MIApril 17, 2014
Hectic times around the holidays, but overall a nice place to work.
easy fun work place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXApril 16, 2014
Great job to have just starting out, simple and easygoing environment.
Very Unorganized Company
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Arlington, TXApril 15, 2014
Did not enjoy working in a stressful atmosphere. Customers were always unsatisfied, and complaining. Store manager always talked down to me condescendingly, refused to rotate positions, and didn't give any opportunity. Wasn't flexible and wouldn't give me a requested day off. Inconsistent hours.
fun and productive
Cashier (Current Employee), 1804 N. Woodland Pk Dr layton utah 84041April 13, 2014
I cashier, clean, stock, and answer phones. Management is great. they let us know what needs to be done
It's ok
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee), Dunwoody, GAApril 9, 2014
Pros: hours
Cons: environment, policies
It can be very stressful. On a typical closing day mon - fri there are 4 people closing (one being a framing). It would be nice to have more people closing. Some manager as well as co- workers are fun and great to be around, and some you just have to get use to being around. I've learned a lot here with all of my positions.
Horrible
Customer Service Representative / Sales (Former Employee), Tampa, FLApril 3, 2014
Do not work here. Unfriendly atmosphere. No management.
Do not work here. Unfriendly atmosphere. No management.
Nice place to work
Customer Business Operations Trainer (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 1, 2014
I've been traveling for a few years with Michaels, opening new stores and training staff all over north America.
Fun workplace with advancement opportunities
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee), RichmondMarch 30, 2014
One of the more fun retail chains to work for. Opportunities to advance if desired.
Creative Job with Impossible Standards
Floral Designer/ Department Manager (Current Employee), CAMarch 29, 2014
Pros: creative
Cons: insane production, no help, clueless managers
At first, this was a job I thought I would love, seeing as I am an artist and I love being creative. The fun was soon sucked out of this position for me. There is only one floral designer at each location, and they are alone in the department, the managers (who are mostly nice people) have no idea about training the designer, so a designer from another – more... location has to train you. After a week, I was on my own (this is the same across the so cal district). Michaels goes through seasonal production, and does not allow the floral designer much assistance. So, its all about being able to figure it out yourself, and if you get hired during peak season (June to December) you better be prepared to hit the ground running.

During seasonal production, you are sent pallet after pallet of supplies about 6 ft wide by 7 ft tall (blank wreaths, crosses, little vases with a little greenery) which you are to unload yourself, and have unpacked, designed, priced and merchandised within two weeks. This is the equivalent of about 150-200 units, not to mention the 250 bows they want you to make. During this time, you may or may not even have full time hours, and you will not receive any assistance (although to be fair I did get an assistant for 4 hours a week for about 4 weeks during christmas production:BIG HELP). In the time that I have worked there, June 2013 to March 2014, I have produced approximately 1900 units and 600 handmade bows, and I was told this was not enough! (It should have been about 2400) And what they also don't tell you is your "full time" status is really only honored during seasonal production, between Jan-May you're lucky to get 6 hour shifts, but the production demand is still about 80 units per week. During that shift, half of it will be taken up by helping the sales floor because we're constantly under-staffed, going to the bank and answering overflow calls.

All this, and I make $13.50/hr. – less

About Michaels

Michaels Stores is crafty. The nation's #1 arts and crafts retailer owns and operates¬†about 1,075 Michaels Stores across the US – Read more