Michaels Employee Reviews in Canada

Hectic but fun when the hours are up.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMarch 2, 2015
During the Christmas hours it was hectic.. and I loved it! The fast pace, the happy customers buying their products, it was all so fun! The employees were all so friendly, it was like a family away from home. The hardest part for me was leaving, I had to move across town and it would have been harder to get to work. Plus the hours after Christmas decreased dramatically, so it wouldn't have covered much of my travel expenses. All in all, it was a great place to work.
sales and assistance with customers (Current Employee) –  Kingston OnMay 2, 2014
I missed working with people after retiring from nursing after a career spanning 44.5 years. Being out in the public gives me something meaningful to occupy a few hours a week doing something I enjoy.
Pros
it is good exercise, i enjoy people in every walk of life, it is fun to help with new ideas or perfect the old ones.
Cons
not enough hours of work available
Exciting and always learning something new.
Lead Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABJune 16, 2012
A typical day at work would involve morning meetings to hear our previous days achiements and our daily goals. Michaels was always a continous learning store with multiple crafts and all the different techniques customers used for their crafts. The management, as well as, the staff were all great to work with all the time. This job in general was a rewarding and fun experience. The hardest part of the job would have to be when you couldn't give a discount to schools or organizations in need.
great job
refill team (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONJune 4, 2015
its a great job to work for its not that hard its all light duty work. the staff and managers are friendly and make you feel apart of an strong team to work for.
Pros
great job
Cons
not enough hours
Fun to teach art to children
Fine Arts Teacher (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJanuary 10, 2013
Micheals allows me to teach art to the children without any interference from management. I design the course, collect the materials and teach for as long as is necessary.

I haven't any co-workers in this position, I'm solo.

The hardest part is to select a painting to teach that will cover a broad age spectrum, nothing too difficult for the 7 year-old, but not too easy/boring for the 34 year-old.

The most enjoyable part is seeing a struggling student "get it" and then practice those techniques at home.
Pros
free art materials.
Cons
lots of time spent preparing for course - unpaid.
This is not a review of this employer.
Customer Framing Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 19, 2015
I would recommend this employer to those looking for a job when the opportunity should arise. The best way to get an opinion of this company is to talk to those who work there.
Great career for a passion in crafts
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 18, 2015
- busy day
- great way to help other customers in new project ideas and introduce new materials and products
- great co workers
Great
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONMay 10, 2015
Having lots of crafts around and coupons, and seeing how many different hobbies there are is an inspiration. The hardest part of the job is not being able to give more coupons out to customers especially if they only come in once a month.
Micheal's
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BCNovember 28, 2013
Fun Part time job
not a career as they only pay min wage unless management
Efficient and well organized workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ONAugust 15, 2013
Michael's was an incredibly well run and friendly place to work. Much of the job involved working alone, therefore there wasn't much time to interact with other employees and employers. However, the time I did spend with my managers and co-workers I always enjoyed and it usually resulted in good feedback about work and information on products and company operating procedures.
Pros
friendly and supportive management
Cons
hours were early mornings (3am shift start)
Great team and awesome customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, B.C.May 5, 2015
You punch in, wear your red vest and get started. Greet customers, and help them find products. Tills are fast pace and require collecting email and coupon collection.
Pros
free classes
Cons
limited hours. high pressure
Dead end position unless you have management experience
customer experience associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton OnSeptember 30, 2012
I've been with Michaels as an associate for over 10 years. I'm still a part time associate. When they changed the store positions I tried to apply for a management postion but didn't have any previous management experience.
A typical day is greeting customers and trying to keep the store clean also backing up cash.
My co workers are easy to get along with, management is willing to help you out. If you want to move up you have to apply internally or move to another store where the position is available. I bend over backwards for customers and the store and never received any recognition for my services, even though I have let management know that I'm interested in promotions rewards.They also started associate of the month, a class instructor got it instead of an associate.
You will learn a lot about crafts, organizing and prioritizing customers. You may also have to deal with upset customers if the managers are busy with a conference call or other things. You will also learn about policies and the pros and conds of how big box companies work.
The hardest part is dealing with people that think there isn't enough people working there or that the lines are too long when we have all the registers open. Or when you're the only person on the floor during busy times and being pulled in a million directions at once. Some times I want to ask if they would be willing to work until 9:30pm or longer on Saturday night.... Which is what I usually get stuck with. The most enjoyable part of the job is actually beng able to help some one find what they need or make them feel more confident about
  more... their projects.
Scheduling can be a problem; some times availability gets ignored or they ask you to come in when you booked time off. Some times the only hours I get is on weekends and if I need a weekend off I won't get any hours during the week. Also I've noticed if I take on extra hours one week my hours would often get cut for the next week. My manager was just told to hire 6 new people and they don't have enough hours to go around. If they scheduled better then they wouldn't have to hire people.
I don't have much of a life out side of Michaels because I'm always working on the weekends or evenings, they don't give me enough hours to make a living off of this place. I've tried to get other jobs but things never work out and one of the managers has thretened me with firing me if I wasn't able to keep them a priority. Even if they do give you a raise it's not even noticable until you look at your pay check.
Pros
the staff i worked with was great
Cons
late evenings and not enough hours to go around

Comment – February 6, 2013

Also when I transferred from another store the manager I previously worked for location "lost" my employee records so I never received my 10 year reward at my current location.

My experience with Michaels
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ONJuly 2, 2012
The Brampton (Ontario) location is a good place to work at, management is great and willing to work with employees and customers. How ever if you're part time you don't get any benefits and you only get a few cents raise per year, you will also most likely be working closing shifts most of the time. There isn't much room for advancement unless you have had previous manegment experience or leadership experience. If you want to advance then you have to apply for an internal job or let the managers know you're interested in moving up in the store. Also if you're part time you will be working mostly closing shifts unless you're on a repleneshment or truck team. They want you to be loyal to the company but it's hard when you only get 2-4 shifts per week. It's all most like they don't want you to make plans either because you should be waiting by the phone in case they decide to call you in for a 4-5 hour shift.
When I first started working here it seamed like they would take just about any one off the street with some retail knowledge and hire them but they have gotten better at that over time.
They want you to be knowledgable with their products, but with what I get paid I can't afford to buy most of the scrapbooking products like the Cricut or the more expensive cake decorating items. I would like to get into jewlery making too but even that can get expensive.
Over all when you're on the job management treats you ok, the people at this location are not looking over your shoulder or wanting an update every 10 minutes.
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers find
  more... what they want and I don't mind doing cash either. You an also learn a few things from a customer. I have learned how to deal with a few upset customers with out having to call on management because I have been there for about 10 years and know a lot about the store and from what I have seen management do with upset people before. It gave me some confidence to learn that I can deal with some one who is upset with out always calling for help.
Unless you're a creative student or want to work part time and love crafts then I would suggest looking else where for work.
Pros
good atmosphere
Cons
lots of evening shifts and some lack of communication between co workers
Not the best place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AlbertaNovember 17, 2013
I was a cashier at Michaels. I worked there for approximately 6 months and found that it was not managed well. Shifts were switched without notifying staff. Shifts were taken away without notifying staff. I would show up for a shift and they would say that I did not have to work, that it was changed. This continued to happen on a regular basis. Hours were missed on cheques or cheques were not written. It just became to much for me so I quit.
Pros
nice hours
Cons
terrible management
Pleasent place to work
Part time Sales Assossiate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saint John NBJanuary 4, 2015
I do 4 hour shifts. I find I am tired at the end as I am on my feet for the full shift. The merchandise is very interesting, with such a variety of arts and crafts! I enjoy assisting customers, but at times I find I'm frustrated as I am limited in my knowledge of much of the crafts. The manager of the store is very pleasant and approachable. Most of my coworkers are young and nice. I would say the hardest part of the job is restocking the shelves with the returns etc.
Pros
30% employee discount
Cons
on your feet the whole time.
framing manager
Framing manager (Former Employee) –  calgarySeptember 17, 2013
helping customers pick frames and matts for thier art
I learned a lot about framing how to frame. stretching canvace
Management wasn't in the framing shop much
co-worker for the most part were fun to work with
making sure the fames and matts were measured to the right size was both the hardest and the most enjoyable part of the job. Seeing
the finished product
Pros
helping with the choices of the frames etc. and seeing all kinds of different art
Cons
long hrs on your feet
Family like atmosphere
Department Manager Arts and Crafts (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, ABAugust 31, 2012
A typical day at work would include tidying up the store, restocking shelves, helping the cashiers deal with customers, making decisions about refunds, coupons, etc. trying to provide excellent customer service. I was a key holder, so I was responsible for getting cash from the cash office to restock the tils. I was called when a customer was having a problem that my staff couldn't deal with.

I went from part-time cashier to full-time department manager in less than 2 years. I learned how to run a til, the companies policies, then moved on to setting up planograms and dealing with customers. I learned how to merchandise items, read planograms, and understand which jobs were more important to do when given a choice.

The management was very supportive of all the employees, and made it feel very family-like.

Most of my co-workers were wonderful to work with, very knowledgeble and helpful. Everyone helped each other out.

The hardest part of the job was unloading trucks and dealing with upset customers

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to support my co-workers and being part of the decision making process.
Pros
co-workers
Cons
weekend and evening work
Flawed upper management.
CEM (Former Employee) –  OttawaNovember 25, 2014
The job seems fun at first but you quickly become aware that upper management does not care for its staff. Hard to stay motivated at a place with no encouragement or positive feedback.
Great environment and great people
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, Montreal, QCJanuary 14, 2015
In a day of work I would do cashier or be on the floor as sales associate. I enjoy helping customers & introducing them to our products. Team work is used a lot in my environment & I find that very important because being sociable is the first step to making our customers satisfied. Sometimes it gets hard when customers get rude, difficult and others, but it's up to us to keep up the good spirit. I learned to be a good sales associate, a organised cashier & most importantly I love my job!
Good part time job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  BurnabyJune 21, 2013
Monday to Thursdays are really slow crowd of customers. Friday to Sundays, get a bigger crowd. Dealing with a lot of fussy customers. Co-workers are very nice and friendly. Management are understanding and nice. Hardest part of being a cashier at Michaels, the customers who likes to blame everything wrong about the store on the cashiers. Most enjoyable is making a customers day by helping out and it actually helps them out.
Pros
good hours
Cons
lack of hours