Michaels Employee Reviews

Best People. Fun job. Always work to do
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ON19 June 2015
Michaels North Bay is the best place i have ever worked. Management is amazing. They care about their employees as people not as just "workers" I have learned so much about things one might not expect and there is always opportunity to learn more. The hardest part of the job is getting enough hours, however, if you do your job well and show up on time they will always try to give you more hours when they are available. I enjoy every part of this job.
Everyone makes it a fun environment while still getting work done. Balanced.
Pros
Happy work environment
Cons
I want to buy everything but can't.
Always busy environment with lots of tasks
Sales Associate, Fine Arts Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 June 2015
A typical day at Michaels' Arts and Crafts is usually a busy one. There is always something to do. When you're on the floor you'll either be helping with classes, down-stocking products, putting away returns, and ALWAYS helping and greeting customers. I learned how to always be on my feet and organize my tasks accordingly to save as much time as possible. I also gained communication skills by learning along the way how to talk with customers and deal with any situations in a professional manner. Management and my co-workers are very nice and flexible, with helpful co-workers who are willing to take or trade shifts with you and help out. The hardest part of this job is when it gets too busy for the amount of staff available, and sometimes it can become overwhelming. But the most enjoyable part is not always doing one thing, and giving your opinion for a customer's craft or project.
Pros
Frequent breaks
Cons
Not enough hours
Not a bad place to work.
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC17 June 2015
This job entitles a lot of customer service and specific product knowledge. It can be quite a busy place with lots of questions from customers and you are always on the go. It offers great employee discounts and some training in customer service and product knowledge. The hours for part time associates are very sparse and you only average about 8 - 12 hrs a week.
Pros
customers are great and atmosphere is friendly
Cons
Split days off, can't take all of vacation at a time, lack of staff
great job
refill team (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON4 June 2015
its a great job to work for its not that hard its all light duty work. the staff and managers are friendly and make you feel apart of an strong team to work for.
Pros
great job
Cons
not enough hours
replenishment crew
Replenishment associate part-time (Current Employee) –  orillia3 June 2015
Everyday is different. Monday I downstock products to their homes.
Tuesday I help unload a truck and work my dept. inventory to its right location. I also set planograms and do labelling if missing.
Our team is very organized and great to work with.
Pros
monday to friday
Cons
no benefits
Productive and a great first job
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 June 2015
The company hours very flexible to fit your schedule and are very considerate. An enjoyable job with great coworkers overall a great experience.
Pros
great experience
Cons
Great career for a passion in crafts
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 May 2015
- busy day
- great way to help other customers in new project ideas and introduce new materials and products
- great co workers
I liked the people, but the hours were awful.
Re-stocker and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS16 May 2015
The only problem I had and the main reason I no longer work part time there is because it was required that we be there at 5 am in the morning. Other than that it is a wonderful place to work.
Pros
Nice management.
Cons
Bad hours.
Great
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON10 May 2015
Having lots of crafts around and coupons, and seeing how many different hobbies there are is an inspiration. The hardest part of the job is not being able to give more coupons out to customers especially if they only come in once a month.
Great team and awesome customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, B.C.5 May 2015
You punch in, wear your red vest and get started. Greet customers, and help them find products. Tills are fast pace and require collecting email and coupon collection.
Pros
free classes
Cons
limited hours. high pressure
Busy work place with fun projects
Cashier and sales representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 May 2015
Working at Michael's is mostly very enjoyable. The people I work with are amazing and I love my manager. The tasks at work can get a little repetitive when it's time to recover the store and put items away. I really enjoy helping customers with my knowledge of arts and crafts because they are always thankful and appreciative when my co workers and I help them with the answers they're looking for.
Pros
Working with fun crafts
Cons
Minimum wage/not enough hours
Was great Seasonal Work...
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stittsville, ON29 April 2015
Wish I could have stayed longer. It was easy to adjust to the flow of the work and the customers. I really enjoyed certain managers, who were approachable and nice. I really benefited working there. Was able to help apply for school, I learned that I am a reliable fast worker, who always said yes if asked to stay later or with another task.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
Seasonal
This is not a review of this employer.
Customer Framing Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON19 April 2015
I would recommend this employer to those looking for a job when the opportunity should arise. The best way to get an opinion of this company is to talk to those who work there.
Fun environment, very seasonal
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 April 2015
I enjoyed working at Michaels, the customers can be a bit difficult being the "older crafty" type. I liked the fast paced chistmas season, but once march rolled around I was bored and stuck on the front end jut standing there
Good place for my first job.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 April 2015
Typically I would work 4 hour shifts as a cashier. After a few weeks of working here I was asked to become a Rainbow Loom Instructor. I enjoyed working with kids who had enrolled.
Cons
Short hours
• Over 5 years of experience in customer service • Adaptable and flexible individual who is willing to learn and apply new skills efficiently • Reli
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 April 2015
Over 5 years of experience in customer service
• Reliable, respectful toward others, and dedicated to get the job done
• Able to adapt to a fast pace, ever changing intense environment with minimal supervision
• Able to effectively deal with difficult issues with sound judgment
Fun workplace which enhanced my work ethics
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newmarket Ontario21 March 2015
At Michaels I was a cashier so my job each day was to cash out customers when they were ready to cash out and ensure they were satisfied with there customer service that they received. I was also responsible for helping any customers that needed help locating a product they were looking for and answering any questions they may have about any products. From this job I got a better understanding of the system and programs that they used which enhanced my technological abilities. All of the employees were great people to work with and made it an even more enjoyable place to work.
It's a fun place to work.
Seasonal member (Former Employee) –  665 W Broadway11 March 2015
Part-time cashiers only work for 4 hours and with the amount of time you spend handling customers you kind of don't notice it pass by. The hours are good, the co-workers are open and friendly, and the location is easy to get to.

The head manager is kind of... off-putting, but he does it in order to keep the store together so that the ratings don't plummet and the location stays open.

There isn't really much to say about this place since I had an overall good experience working here and it's everything you'd expect to experience in a retail store.

Only real downside is the 3 hour rushes during the high peak of the seasons and foot pain. Oh, and putting go-backs away.
Pros
30% employee discount, friendly co-workers, reasonable hours and pay
Cons
Any place in retail has those grumpy customers that you have to grin and bear with.
Same rotation every week, same tasks every day with slight differences
Support Specialist in the cash office (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, Alberta4 March 2015
Work was very pretty routine in the tasks I had to complete each week. I knew what I had to do each day and that made it that much easier.
Cons
Short shifts, not many hours
Hectic but fun when the hours are up.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL2 March 2015
During the Christmas hours it was hectic.. and I loved it! The fast pace, the happy customers buying their products, it was all so fun! The employees were all so friendly, it was like a family away from home. The hardest part for me was leaving, I had to move across town and it would have been harder to get to work. Plus the hours after Christmas decreased dramatically, so it wouldn't have covered much of my travel expenses. All in all, it was a great place to work.

2.9