Michaels Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
My typical day at work includes customer service, handling transactions .
Cashier (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONSeptember 24, 2014
Pros: positive reinforcement upon your acomplishments
Cons: the only problem is we are very part-time.
A very fun place to work. Very interesting what customers are crafting. My job entails serving customers, helping them find what they need to do their craft. The management team helps out when you need them. They are very quick to give you a pat on the back. The co-workers are great to work with. The hardest part of this job is multi-tasking at times. The most enjoyable part of this job is the great customers you meet every day.
Disorganised back of store system and management, short on staff
Part Time Stock Replenishment Associate (Current Employee), Markham, ONSeptember 17, 2014
Pros: 30% staff discount in store
Cons: management very disorganised, the back of store system is disorganised and waiting for major hazard situation to happen
On my first day I was expecting someone to go through my contract details with me, introduce the team or do an introduction on Michael's work system run down and tour round the whole store from inside out. Sure I got the tour of the store but the most important part like my hours, pay rate, taking my bank details, providing me all the pin codes for entering employee and finance rooms, my employee username and password for entering into the scan gun, my clocking in/out card and sick/vacation notice process all not given or gone through with me at all.

I'm already in my 4th shift some of my colleague already claimed they have been paid and I'm still unpaid for my work since I've started only be notified that my name is entered into the payroll system but they haven't bother to go through with on my bank details.
I asked if I can come into work on a less busier day of the week and where there is a manager that have free slots during work to paper work nope they completely ignored me on that suggestion.

My first day at work was hands on and learn on the job immediately. They didn't even run me through on health and safety hazardous and preventions or guide me on how to use the cardboard box compressing machine. Management jus expected me to know how there system work and know how to use every devices given to me.

Very disorganised management skills and moving on to the back of the store where the staff are suppose to help unload the truck it's a whole mess. Manager should pair up new staff to shadow or follow experienced staff to show how things are done exactly in the safest – more... method shown to them. Again very disorganised, I know it's busy but manager should always be on there toes constantly if they have untrained employees that are new and have know idea about the whole system on how it works.

Personally I think there should really be either two managers on site that way one is placed in training new staff and the other is placed in managing and helping staff on shop floor or back of store, also placed experience senior staff or supervisors on front of store to keep things run smoothly and efficiently. Work would have been completed and run peacefully if manager just put everyone into separate mini teams and have each individual group with an experience staff or supervisor to keep an eye on things. – less
Michaels Arts and Crafts is not an ideal workplace
Michaels Asscociate (Former Employee), Sarnia OntarioSeptember 8, 2014
Pros: clean work environment
Cons: management
At Michaels Arts and Crafts you deal with angry and grumpy customers on a daily basis. Michaels has very strict rules and policies that complicate everyday work. You will learn that if you are not friends with management you will be not favoured and constantly be told you have done something wrong. However, aside from management, co-workers are friendly and helpful. Having a job on the floor you are expected to keep work environment clean and tend to customers needs.
Replenishment
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee), Sarnia, ONSeptember 8, 2014
The replenishment team are responsible to follow company directed plan-o-grams. Ensure that all merchandise is displayed in the correct location in the store. We receive a weekly trailer and put all new merchandise on the store fixtures. Also provide good customer service.
store set up
Store set up and Sales associate (Former Employee), stock yardsAugust 29, 2014
Pros: experience
Cons: none not enough hours
replenshiment for store set up,used the RF gun to scan products
Customer Service based
Sales Associate and Instructor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 21, 2014
A typical shift involves serving customers and ensuring they have an excellent experience to bring them back again in future.

I learned a lot about how to deal with customers who didn't get quite what they were hoping for. How to diffuse a situation effectively to reverse the negative opinion that may have been formed.

Management was tough on us, but they really just wanted the business to succeed and customers to have excellent service.

My co-workers were amazing. We were always willing to help one another out and work as a team.
I did that
Customer Service and Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 12, 2014
I wrote something about it before, but I would like to say I like all my managers and friends in Michaels.
I have a very supervisor and co-workers who are make me feel happy to work with them and feel luck have them work together but not enough hours.
Replenishment Team Member (Current Employee), Surrey, BCJuly 31, 2014
I work 3 - 4 days a week (5 hours/day) in this store.
I have very good team members and supervisor.
My job is organize all the items and stork in the the right place. Every thing should be very clean and neat. Also, everyone need to be fast pace, good manner and good working attitude. If you want me to say the hardest part of the job, I`d like to say `no`. Everything under my control. The most enjoyable part of the job are I can enjoy all the new crafty products in the first minute before customer see and know it.
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 29, 2014
Enjoyed making crafts for the children that would come in throughout the week and weekend and making sure that all the customers were taking care as well as phone calls, cash out.
Replenishment
Replenishment (Former Employee), Deerfoot Meadows, Calgary AlbertaJune 12, 2014
Pros: occasional free lunch, salary, co-workers
Cons: managment, tiresome
Well the job was alright. I mean it is retail. I really liked it at first. The first 3 months everything was almost fun. I worked at the Deerfoot Meadows location. The management was not so great.... They went through three different managers within the 9 months I worked there. The general manager would tell me to do one thing while my replenishment manager would tell me to do another. They time you when you stock. I don't think it is a horrible thing but they don't take into account the time when you walk away from the product to help a customer. So they come back and aren't pleased that your first job wasn't done. Well, they say customers come first... They shouldn't get mad if it isn't done "on time"
I am ok if we are working toward goals but nagging about it doesn't help.
Co-workers are fun.
Great place to work for
Michaels Cashier (Former Employee), Kelowna B.C.June 12, 2014
I had a blast working at Michaels. Always a fun time :) The staff is always friendly
If you like arts and crafts, this is a nice place to work
General sales, Floor associate (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJune 9, 2014
Pros: lots of product to learn about, very flexible working hours
Cons: very low pay, can get boring quickly
Fairly good place to work. A nice discount on art supplies comes with working here.
Working the floor can get very dull, but flexible hours are great for people with busy lives.
Good for those who like to earn thier money
Sr. Certified Framer (Current Employee), Ottawa, ONJune 6, 2014
Pros: made new friends i still have
Cons: company was stingy
Miss this job the most
Great teamwork
Learning all positions requires alot of patience
A super fun place to work, but you never know if you're going anywhere.
Framer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 3, 2014
Pros: lunchrooms, laid back junior management, no pressure.
Cons: terrible holiday hours. too easy to get written up.
I loved working for Michaels. 90% of the employees are fantastic people who love what they do, and really enjoy helping people. The other 10% make you not want to come to work. The management always appear to be very busy, so it is difficult to address problems or concerns with them. Sometimes when you do a really good job, someone will actually notice, and let you know. The hardest part of my job was not saying anything rude to certain people who thought they could do my job better than me. I was written up 3 times for things I didn't do, so the higher management needs to take a better look at their lower management.
Enjoyed the work, not the manager.
Sales Representative/Certified Framer (Former Employee), NanaimoMay 15, 2014
I worked at Michaels for a couple years and it was great. Great staff, I enjoyed the work as a certified framer. Then we got a new store manager, Josh, and he was terrible to his staff. He belittled us often. Everyone got together and talked to the regional manager, had a meeting with Josh and talked about our experiences with him. He gave us an "apology", but nothing changed. So I quit. Couldn't handle it.
crafts
Assist customers (Former Employee), May, ONMay 6, 2014
Pros: off work early
Cons: start too early
didn't like crafts, easy work though, good money, good staff
sales and assistance with customers (Current Employee), Kingston OnMay 2, 2014
Pros: it is good exercise, i enjoy people in every walk of life, it is fun to help with new ideas or perfect the old ones.
Cons: not enough hours of work available
I missed working with people after retiring from nursing after a career spanning 44.5 years. Being out in the public gives me something meaningful to occupy a few hours a week doing something I enjoy.
Retail focused business
MANAGER IN TRAINING (Former Employee), London, ONApril 30, 2014
Pros: added more skills to portfolio
Cons: store only accomodated a certain customer base
-different tasks for every day of the week
-trained to do custom framing which I found extremely enjoyable
-train and educate team members on diverse skills and applications
-relaxed place to work
-everyone usually kept to themselves because of the abundant workload
Productive Team and great co workers
Replenishment Crew (Current Employee), Oshawa, ONApril 21, 2014
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: would like more hours
As part of the replenishment crew, we are responsible for unloading the truck and all aspects of stocking the shelves, including planograms and down stocking. The team I work with is GREAT...the Replenishment Manager, Amanda, is great to work for, and with. She answers any questions we might have, and values our input .
A productive learning environment
Certified custom framer (Former Employee), bramptonApril 7, 2014
This particular place strives on safety of others and allowing their employees to learn and grow. There is ample opportunity for advancement from within. overall a great place to work.
Headquarters