Michaels

Michaels Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
A good place to work, but have another job that gives hours
Support Specialist (Current Employee), Pelham Manor, NYNovember 13, 2013
Pros: friendly co-workers, nice environment, friendly managers, good employee discounts
Cons: no working hours, short breaks, no steady schedule, low discounts
Michaels is a good place to work, but they barely want to give their employees hours. Their scheduling is all over the place, and they'd rather hire new people than give the employees they have any hours. Their minimum pay isn't bad, but it is bad when they don't give you hours for it to show on a paycheck.
The environment is nice and people you work – more... with a nice, it's a friendly business, but just not a productive business when it comes to paychecks. – less
Productive, fast paced work enviorment
Custom Framer, Cashier (Current Employee), San Diego, CANovember 12, 2013
Pros: fun, creative, fast paced environment
Cons: the hours
A typical work day consists of working with customers, designing and placing orders.
Production: building and putting together frame.
I learn a lot on a daily bases consistently learning methods to make me a more efficient employee.
Upbeat and Fasted Paced
Cashier (Former Employee), Falls Church, VANovember 10, 2013
Very upbeat and fast paced, which I didn't mind. I did like working at Michaels, but it was too far from where I reside. I was basically working to get to get work.
very enjoyable
Customer Serivce/stocker (Former Employee), Appleton, WINovember 9, 2013
Pros: freindly place, very nice co-workers
i really liked all my co workers, and i enjoyed what i did, I ended up getting really sick so i had to quit cuz the doctor told me it would be like three month or so before i could get back to work. Overall i really was sad to have to quit, but at the time my health was more important to me.
fast paced positive environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Mobile, ALNovember 9, 2013
You never ran out of things to do on a shift at Michaels.while working there I learned as a Manager that you are only as strong as the crew that you supervise. Once I had to work 22 hrs in one day and I couldn't see my little one (he was 6m old at the time) that had to be the Hardest part of my job, being away from family. However, having some of the – more... best and hardest working employees made up for it. – less
fun company
Support Specialist (Former Employee), Bradenton, FLNovember 8, 2013
Pros: was able to use my experience to help customers, and learn from them too
Cons: no benefits unless you were full time
Michaels is a fun company to work for, and you can learn a lot about crafts and building things. Management was great and I loved my job, as a support specialist.
Craft- centered retail
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee), Chesapeake, VANovember 7, 2013
Typical retail employment, employee experience is dependent on management in store.
Team Oriented
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Monroe, LANovember 4, 2013
Pros: discount
Cons: low hours
At Michaels Arts & Crafts we work as a team and make sure we can get everything done. Everybody knows one another and we are a family, it seems like. I love being able to make sure we can help others fufill their desire to love the arts and crafts.
My very 1st job, it was a good experience
Cashier (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVNovember 3, 2013
my typical work day would be ringing up items and bagging items and assisting customers, this job is where I first learned how to work a cash register for the 1st time, and I learned quickly. I had very friendly co workers some of them were even my high school classmates as well. at first the hardest part of the job was working the cash register but – more... when I got the hang of it, I did very well. I mostly enjoyed interacting with the customers. – less
Enjoyable environment
Department Manager (Former Employee), AlabamaNovember 1, 2013
Newly graduated I landed at Michaels. I truly enjoyed the staff and interacting with the customers.
Fun place to work for the avid crafter/artist
Support Specialist (Current Employee), Boise, IDOctober 25, 2013
Pros: excellent pay and benefits, company stays with trends
Cons: lots of manual labor (if thats not your thing)
With the right TEAM around you, Michaels can be a fun place to work. Can be a lot of physical work at times, especially on major floorsets and truck day. ALWAYS something to do. Company invests a lot of time and money into technology, growing with the current trends and it's people. One of the most extensive training programs for management I have ever – more... participated in. – less
Great workplace, trustworthy co-workers
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Chesterfield, VAOctober 25, 2013
Pros: meeting new people
Cons: getting glitter everywhere
I love working with my co-workers and managers. They are very helpful and trustworthy. The hardest part of the job is keeping the glitter off you. Other than that it is a great place to work.
Nice place to work
Front End Specialist (Current Employee), Hemet, CAOctober 22, 2013
Only problem is they only hire part time employees. I went from a recovery person to the replenishment team. I learned to read plan-o-grams. hardest part of the job is meeting the deadlines, which was not really hard to me.
Good company
Assistant manager (Former Employee), GainesvilleOctober 22, 2013
A fine place to work, Learned a lot from my store manager. Only left for a job in my field of study
fun place to work
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee), Macon, GAOctober 19, 2013
Pros: fun and easy work
Cons: early shifts
worked here for a short term. Gained some experience in retail.
High School Job
Cashier (Former Employee), Midlothian VAOctober 16, 2013
Pros: predictable
Cons: low pay, difficult customers
This job would be perfect for a high school student just looking for a few extra dollars. There is no room for growth but that may be just what someone is looking for. Managers were generally friendly and helpful. Customers regularly try to get over on cashiers with extra coupons and returns that they never even bought.
Challenging but fun job.
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee), Lynchburg, VAOctober 14, 2013
I worked pre-open replenishment, so it was quiet. There was also a lot of work to be done before the store opened, so there was always a sense of urgency. Not the best pay but a nice side job.
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Stillwater, MNOctober 5, 2013
Pros: free classes, discounts
Cons: short breaks, not enough hours
A typical day at work would start by clocking in, walking up to the front office to get a walkie, then immediately meeting up with a manager to find out what they would like to have done that day, and then walking the floor performing tasks and greeting customers, helping them find the things they need. At the end of the shift you bring your walkie – more... to the office and then walk back and clock out. I've learned that its important to constantly keep yourself busy at work even when its slow by cleaning and organizing. Management was okay for the most part they were helpful when you had questions and needed help with customers. My coworkers were friendly and easy to work with. The hardest part would be dealing with an unpleasant customer. The most enjoyable part would be working the birthday parties and all the employee get togethers. – less
Productive and great work environment with friendly coworkers
Replenishment (Current Employee), Palm Springs, CASeptember 26, 2013
Pros: optional break times
Cons: some short breaks
Michaels is a great working environment. I do not have a difficult time communicating with other employees. Managers are great leaders and very friendly and are fair with everyone. I enjoy everything I do.
Fun environment, great for creative people.
Store Associate (Current Employee), Columbia, MDSeptember 25, 2013
This is a great place to work if you're a crafty person or if you want to be one. A typical day is keeping the store stocked and replenishing, assisting customers on the sales floor and the register. The hardest part of the job is trying to get all returned and misplaced products back onto the sales floor by closing time. The most enjoyable part are – more... the coworkers and crafts. – less

About Michaels

Michaels Stores is crafty. The nation's #1 arts and crafts retailer owns and operates¬†about 1,075 Michaels Stores across the US – Read more