Michaels Employee Reviews

A good Craft Store
Replenishment, Truck Unload & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC23 October 2015
Michaels is a reasonably good craft store with a serious bent towards attempting to give good customer service. All positions require customer interactions and the pay, while not competitive at starting is good enough when long term is achieved. The company is on the mend with the advancement of some motivated personnel in head office now... much more so than it was in the past. A solid place to sink your time into, especially if you like crafts.
Pros
Craft Store
Cons
Craft Store
Friendly Associates and Great Atmosphere
Framing Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 May 2016
Great work environment with managers who appreciate and recognize employees.
Fun place to work and learn about guests new projects.
Loved working there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2016
I learned how to create shelves,
learnd to stock the shelves
learn how to open and close the store by cleaning and tidying the store up at schedled times.
Customer Service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON22 May 2016
Customer service is an asset in this company. Peaks and lows and when its busy time we must learn to be happy at all times. Very nice company to work for
Fun place to work while surrounded by various hobbies
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2015
Long hours, but rewarded with satisfaction of being able to assist customers with finding the right tools to complete their projects. Further satisfaction with getting to know both staff and customers. Somewhat more stressful during major holidays, especially Christmas, but rewarding when clients smile after they find what they need. Loved being around crafts, as it is a passion of mine, and never had the same day twice.
Flexible with work schedule's
Cashier and Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON4 May 2016
I've worked as a cashier for 2 years and as a custom framer for approximately a year and half. Policies are high in value and staff are very friendly.
Cons
Short hours
Michaels was a fun, artistic environment.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2016
Working at Michaels was very interesting. The store was moving locations so they needed people to hep build the store. I was able to help in the creation of this Michaels store, I learned about how to put stores together, and to appreciate the effort that goes into it.

For a while, a typical day was to go in to the store, build some shelves, make sure the plan was right, and stock the shelves and walls. After that, a typical day would be to walk around the store to see if any customers needed assistance, or to work on cash.

It was so cool to be able to learn new things about peoples' art. I learned so much about yarn, scrapbooking, glass fusing, it was really a great environment. I once spent an hour with a customer because she was really brining me into her current project, and was asking my opinion about things.

The hardest part of the job was definitely setting up the store. The hours were long and not exciting, but it was amazing once the store was built to know that I was apart of that.

My co-workers were all incredibly friendly. If anyone needed help, someone would be there. Even in the breakroom there was always happy chatting going on, very good people to get along with.

One problem I had was with the management. They were not very organized and this caused a lot of problems with staffing. The managers were very nice people, they just needed to get on the same page of what was going on in the store.
Typical day
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC5 April 2016
A typical day would be greeting and helping customers, working closely with associates.Organizing the front end and store events.The most enjoyable part of the job is belonging to a team.
Pros
Great environment, friendly associates
Experience
Spécialiste du service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC28 March 2016
My work experience in Canada has been rewarding because I learned different techniques servcio customers has helped me improve my service every day.

The work environment is nice and employees respect each other
Pros
na
Cons
na
Productive and Fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS16 April 2016
I loved working there, my co workers were amazing people and a lot of fun to work with. it made working there better and and more enjoyable
Nothing wrong with working here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2016
I had worked here for 1 year and 7 months, and overall it was a stable job that I was comfortable going to. There were really no down falls, except for some strong willed costumers who insist you give them that coupon (even when it doesn't even apply to the product). But I honestly cant complain, this work place treated me well for a significant amount of time.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Coupon policy
Absolutely appalling
customer experience (Former Employee) –  prince george, bc7 April 2013
Michaels was the absolute worst working experience of my life. The management was horrendous, treating its employees like slaves and actually breaking several labor laws. Employees are expected to do everything for minimum pay and are treated as criminals, forced to wait to leave work despite being off the clock while the managers searched their bags/purses. Hours were poor and the upper management would cut everyone else's hours to maintain their steady pay. Awful policies were in place and you would be punished for not talking to customers even if you had already spoke with them; it only mattered if you did it in front of the manager. There was no incentives and many would freeload off the work of the few like myself who actually tried. Any promotion prospects they tell you about are basically lies. However some of the employees were Ok.
Pros
a few employees were ok
Cons
everything else.
Good Company
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 December 2015
Michaels has changed quite a bit since i worked there last the team is all new and there have been significant renovations. However when i was employed i enjoyed my time with the company. The staff was good and there was a great work/life balance.
caotic stressful place to work
FRONT END SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 January 2016
I was hired to be in charge of the front end of the store along with all the cashiers. I was not trained or given a proper job description of my resonsibilities
Pros
michaels discount
Cons
more management
Awesome place to work, really enjoyed it.
Seasonal Cashier and floor person (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB16 March 2016
I loved working at the Michaels store in GP. They had fabulous people to work with and the managers were amazing. I was sad to have to move on.
Great place to work always something new arriving
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston Ontario26 June 2012
Lots of customer interaction, learned to deal with many different types of people management was always very reassuring and helpful.
We always had lots of well trained and friendly staff at hand. Since we often had classes and events for the customer this made the job very enjoyable.
The hardest part was if we ran out of something and had to tell some it was available anymore so we could not met their needs.
Pros
lots of staff incentives
Cons
long hours and late night
Part-time seasonal employee
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Stittsville, ON3 July 2015
A typical day at work consisted of loading U-boat trolleys in the stockroom moving them to the floor and then restocking the shelves.
After shelves were mainly restocked, employees who were "free" collected garbage or assisted other employees in restocking as necessary. Upon opening of the store employees carried on their duties in addition to greeting and assisting customers as required.
After a task was completed an employee would usually differ to the on duty manager for direction. One of the most valuable things I learned was the proper application of teamwork in a professional environment. Shift management was effective and conducive to a smooth working environment. Co-workers were pleasant and accommodating, always ready to help and assist their fellow employees. The hardest part of the job was the early hours, and the most enjoyable part of my job was helping the customers.
Fun environment to work in
Customer Service, Cashier, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 July 2015
A typical day involves running the cash register, tidying up the store and putting away items, and assisting customers with their crafting needs. My co-workers are amazing and we are always having fun together. We are always bouncing ideas off each other if we are having trouble with a customers craft. I've learned to handle money, how to run a register, restocking shelves, team work and improving communication. The management are friendly and nice but they don't seem to communicate with each other very well leading to misunderstandings. They do their best to help us out. The hardest part is no clear definition of a job description or training in specific departments.
friendly people
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 January 2016
the work is fun the people are nice the management is very understanding flexible hours for people who go to school easy to learn the ropes may need better communicators
Pros
friendly workers
Cons
no full time
Great learning and working environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS28 January 2016
waiting and assisting customers
what products are good to use for certain projects
I have a lot of knowledgeable co workers
helping the customers locate the product they are looking for and
leaving our store happy and willing to return.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
too few hours avaliable

2.9