Michaels Employee Reviews

Truck team
truck team/ sales associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONSeptember 3, 2015
I loved working here. its a great environment to work in with a fun team and easy hours if you like mornings. supportive management and easy work but can be a workout
Pros
Classes, friendly team
Cons
sometimes its hard to get the hours you want during the low season
Great place to work always something new arriving
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston OntarioJune 26, 2012
Lots of customer interaction, learned to deal with many different types of people management was always very reassuring and helpful.
We always had lots of well trained and friendly staff at hand. Since we often had classes and events for the customer this made the job very enjoyable.
The hardest part was if we ran out of something and had to tell some it was available anymore so we could not met their needs.
Pros
lots of staff incentives
Cons
long hours and late night
Seasonal Part Time Cashier Position
Seasonal Part Time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONOctober 12, 2015
Primarily responsible to processing customer purchases and returns as required. The biggest challenge was processing purchases within a limited time period. Questions and inquiries would need to be identified before the sale is entered into the cash register. Enjoyed meeting the various customers and learning about their various crafting interests.
Pros
Flexible Work schedule, short commute to work
Cons
Seasonal position did not lead to permanent position
general retail job
PT Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2016
Staff worked super slow expecting me to take up the slack
Supervisor did not control environment and processes
Asking questions was frowned upon
Company that upholds Customer Service as a Priority
Custom Framing Department Manager (Former Employee) –  St. CatharinesFebruary 29, 2012
The Company was focused on Excellent Customer Service which made it easier to do my job as this is always my main focus. Excellent opportunities within the Company for Advancement along with Training Programs. Excellent Medical/Health Benefits for Full-time Employees. Company supplied wide variety of products to suit most customers needs, good promos and sales on products to make it more affordable.
intresting and most of the time a fun environment to work in
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONFebruary 25, 2015
as a cashier I have many duties such as handling cash, Customer Service product knowledge, computer system techniques . Etc.
Management most of the time are flexible and able to cooperate with my schedule They can be difficult to work with most of the time and lack communication between employees and management they just have to be approached a certain way.
co workers are amazing to work with, very Friendly and easy going.
The hardest part of the job is knowing product and what each is used for. I am a quick learner so I catch on pretty quickly though.
Most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with customer's.
Pros
customer interaction
Cons
not enough hours
lots of politics
Part -Time Replenishment Crew (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 25, 2015
it is an okay company to work for but lots of politics....for the work you do the wages are not the greatest. The work is physical and you are expected to get it done in a timely manner. Younger staff doesn't have the type of work ethic you would expect which is very frustrating.
Great Place to Learn
Stock Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABDecember 31, 2014
At Michaels, a typical day of work consisted of putting away stock and assisting customers with their various needs. The majority of what I learned was art-related, however, I did learn the importance of standing up for myself and my beliefs. My coworkers tended to keep to themselves and most of them weren't very happy people, and/or were very young. Management had a difficult task of keeping us all organized, and as there were many young people working there, it was made even more difficult. There was also a multitude of people calling in sick daily, and it made our tasks more difficult. The hardest part of the job was making the fixtures, which was tedious and boring. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers.
Pros
discounts on merchandise
Cons
hours weren't fixed, shortage of staff
Great place to work!
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BCMarch 28, 2012
Michaels is a pretty neat place to work - the stock is always changing, new items are always coming in, and there is ALWAYS something to do. Michaels has loyal clients who often come in weekly with their coupon in-hand. This job can be physically demanding, but the hours fly by when you're busy.
Pros
job security, room for advancement, great management
Cons
fairly low pay, physically demanding
Good place to work at
Stock (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioJune 24, 2015
Very friendly coworkers, managers were all friendly and on task always. They kept a clean store and always kept things on time. Firm when needed to be and always nice to the employees. I enjoyed working with my coworkers, everyone helped when needed to and manager always handled situations appropriately. I would come into work and unload the morning truck with stock, then begin to stock all my frames in my department. It was easy for me and I worked fast to get the job done. I learned cashier, truck unloading, building grids for the stock, cleaning shelves, overstock work, and working the sales floor. The hardest part of the job was definitely the overstock as we'd have to check every frame on the top shelves with the ladder, it was the most tiring as well.
Pros
Friendly environment.
Cons
not many hours
A very fun and professional environment to be a part of
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ONApril 1, 2014
A typical day at work includes: assisting lovely, and friendly customers finding products and assisting with project ideas. I have learned a lot about team work and cooperativeness. Management there is great. They understand you and make sure you are happy working there. My co-workers have become like family and my best friends. We all get along and it is such a friendly and outgoing environment to be a part of. The hardest part of my job is making sure that I help every single customer. It is hard and disapointing on yourself when you cannot help every customer that approaches you, but you do your best! The most enjoyable part of this job is meeting new people and learning fun new crafts to do on your spare time. I love the amount of creativity I can express.
Pros
amazing coworkers
Cons
not a lot of shift coverage
Surrounded by Creativity
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BCFebruary 16, 2014
Michaels was an incredibly rewarding place to work - I loved the creativity that surrounded the staff and company. The management and co-workers are highly helpful and intelligent. The hardest part was learning the ins-and-outs of the job.
Pros
creative environment
Fun work place
Certified Framer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 25, 2015
Worked as a silver certified framer for two years. learned a lot about archival mounting and framing. I've taken this and applied it to my own practice today.
Productive but cold
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Milton,ONJuly 10, 2015
Our day started as 4 in the morning, where we unloaded trucks but I had received no training as to where the boxes went, so I had to follow the others in where the boxes went. From there, we were told to unload the boxes as fast as possible, and we were told not to talk to each other unless we had questions. Even then, it was difficult to find one of the managers to ask said questions and it almost felt like we were expected to do our job and completely ignore customer service, as if our stations were not done in an orderly fashion. There were a few co-workers that were nice but many felt cold and distant.
Cons
Cold enviroment
replenishment crew
Replenishment associate part-time (Current Employee) –  orilliaJune 3, 2015
Everyday is different. Monday I downstock products to their homes.
Tuesday I help unload a truck and work my dept. inventory to its right location. I also set planograms and do labelling if missing.
Our team is very organized and great to work with.
Pros
monday to friday
Cons
no benefits
Poor place to work
Replenishment (Former Employee) –  New Minas, NSAugust 18, 2012
One of the worse places to work, poor management, no advancement, broken promises, only advance friends not good workers. Took them over 3 months to get me my ROE. One sided towards management. Poor training methods.
Pros
great customers
Cons
poor management, broken promises, poor paperwork from head office for employees
A super fun place to work, but you never know if you're going anywhere.
Framer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABJune 3, 2014
I loved working for Michaels. 90% of the employees are fantastic people who love what they do, and really enjoy helping people. The other 10% make you not want to come to work. The management always appear to be very busy, so it is difficult to address problems or concerns with them. Sometimes when you do a really good job, someone will actually notice, and let you know. The hardest part of my job was not saying anything rude to certain people who thought they could do my job better than me. I was written up 3 times for things I didn't do, so the higher management needs to take a better look at their lower management.
Pros
lunchrooms, laid back junior management, no pressure.
Cons
terrible holiday hours. too easy to get written up.
My typical day at work includes customer service, handling transactions .
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 24, 2014
A very fun place to work. Very interesting what customers are crafting. My job entails serving customers, helping them find what they need to do their craft. The management team helps out when you need them. They are very quick to give you a pat on the back. The co-workers are great to work with. The hardest part of this job is multi-tasking at times. The most enjoyable part of this job is the great customers you meet every day.
Pros
positive reinforcement upon your acomplishments
Cons
the only problem is we are very part-time.
A fun place to work for someone who loves arts and crafts like me
Part Time Jewelry Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, OntarioMarch 26, 2012
Reviewed with management the tasks for the day.
Learned how to set up displays, change signage, pricing, labeling according to the store standards.
I loved our management team, they were understanding, caring, compassionate, and reasonable.
I loved the team I started out with. It was a family unit, and everyone looked out for each other, and we had fun too.
The hardest part of my job, was to time manage tasks while dealing with customers.
Since I design and make jewelry, the I loved working in the beading department, and helping customers with their questions.
Pros
loved working with jewelry
Cons
working on sundays
fast paced workplace with awesome eployers
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABDecember 11, 2014
A typical day at work for me would be getting to the till and ringing customers in. I never know when or if i am going to get a break. I learned that you have to be fast paced and collect a lot of emails. The management at Michaels is well mannered. My co-workers are amazing people. The hardest part of my job is collecting the amount of emails they want. The most enjoyable part of my job is making sure all my customers are happy.
Pros
discounts
Cons
break times

2.9