Michaels Employee Reviews

Was able to work with kids, which I enjoy
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC4 May 2016
Usually the only cashier during the weekday; was a very high paced. Learned to be quick and efficient with my duties. Learned how to help customers in a professional manor, while providing them with excellent customer service.
Pros
Learning to craft
Cons
Not enough hours
Great atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS9 June 2016
Great staff to work with, job wasn't necessarily easy but it definitely wasn't difficult. Received great guidance from supervisors and managers.
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON11 January 2016
Working at Michael's taught me how to plan and coordinate events within the store. I learn how to manage my time within a very limited time frame. It was hard work but I felt accomplished at the end of a day's work. I worked at Michael's while attending University and they were excellent about scheduling shifts around classes and very accommodating during exam periods.
Pros
Innovative, creative
Cons
Long hours standing
Very fun and enjoyable workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 March 2016
Very fun and enjoyable work place.
Fantastic management.
Company really appreciates the staff.
Best part of the job was meeting all the creative people and seeing how much they love talking about what they do.
Pros
Amazing company to work for
Cons
no complaints
Friendly Associates and Great Atmosphere
Framing Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 May 2016
Great work environment with managers who appreciate and recognize employees.
Fun place to work and learn about guests new projects.
Customer Service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON22 May 2016
Customer service is an asset in this company. Peaks and lows and when its busy time we must learn to be happy at all times. Very nice company to work for
Loved working there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2016
I learned how to create shelves,
learnd to stock the shelves
learn how to open and close the store by cleaning and tidying the store up at schedled times.
A good Craft Store
Replenishment, Truck Unload & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BC23 October 2015
Michaels is a reasonably good craft store with a serious bent towards attempting to give good customer service. All positions require customer interactions and the pay, while not competitive at starting is good enough when long term is achieved. The company is on the mend with the advancement of some motivated personnel in head office now... much more so than it was in the past. A solid place to sink your time into, especially if you like crafts.
Pros
Craft Store
Cons
Craft Store
Flexible with work schedule's
Cashier and Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON4 May 2016
I've worked as a cashier for 2 years and as a custom framer for approximately a year and half. Policies are high in value and staff are very friendly.
Cons
Short hours
Fun retail environment with great clientiel
Retail supervisor manager (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC11 February 2014
Michael s is a leading arts and craft store. I spent six years working for them and learnt alot . I began my career at Michael s as a department manager, not only did I run my own department and staff but I was able to go to other store and set up for openings and train new staff. I then became operations manager, here I ran the business end of the store budgets P.N.L.'s schedules and inventories. I worked opposite shifts of the store manager and ran the store in her absence. To learn the overall feel of running a store I then became replenishment manager as well as still running the store in absence of store manager I also ran the receiving end, unloading of trucks ordering setting of planograms building fixtures and running a crew of 5-10 people. While doing all of this I also had the pleasure of working with a great staff and customers, helping customers choose items needed for a specific project learning about what craft or skill they have and where they want to go with it. I met many great people and took with me a lot of wonderful memories. There was no hard part of my job maybe the occasional difficult customer which will happen in any retail environment but i was always able to learn and adapt to any new situation.
Pros
good benefits, great people and great new products. a good staff discount always helped too
Cons
early start shift was hard at times as i lived 30 minutes away
Michaels was a fun, artistic environment.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2016
Working at Michaels was very interesting. The store was moving locations so they needed people to hep build the store. I was able to help in the creation of this Michaels store, I learned about how to put stores together, and to appreciate the effort that goes into it.

For a while, a typical day was to go in to the store, build some shelves, make sure the plan was right, and stock the shelves and walls. After that, a typical day would be to walk around the store to see if any customers needed assistance, or to work on cash.

It was so cool to be able to learn new things about peoples' art. I learned so much about yarn, scrapbooking, glass fusing, it was really a great environment. I once spent an hour with a customer because she was really brining me into her current project, and was asking my opinion about things.

The hardest part of the job was definitely setting up the store. The hours were long and not exciting, but it was amazing once the store was built to know that I was apart of that.

My co-workers were all incredibly friendly. If anyone needed help, someone would be there. Even in the breakroom there was always happy chatting going on, very good people to get along with.

One problem I had was with the management. They were not very organized and this caused a lot of problems with staffing. The managers were very nice people, they just needed to get on the same page of what was going on in the store.
Fun place to work while surrounded by various hobbies
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2015
Long hours, but rewarded with satisfaction of being able to assist customers with finding the right tools to complete their projects. Further satisfaction with getting to know both staff and customers. Somewhat more stressful during major holidays, especially Christmas, but rewarding when clients smile after they find what they need. Loved being around crafts, as it is a passion of mine, and never had the same day twice.
Typical day
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC5 April 2016
A typical day would be greeting and helping customers, working closely with associates.Organizing the front end and store events.The most enjoyable part of the job is belonging to a team.
Pros
Great environment, friendly associates
Experience
Spécialiste du service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC28 March 2016
My work experience in Canada has been rewarding because I learned different techniques servcio customers has helped me improve my service every day.

The work environment is nice and employees respect each other
Pros
na
Cons
na
Productive and Fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS16 April 2016
I loved working there, my co workers were amazing people and a lot of fun to work with. it made working there better and and more enjoyable
Nothing wrong with working here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2016
I had worked here for 1 year and 7 months, and overall it was a stable job that I was comfortable going to. There were really no down falls, except for some strong willed costumers who insist you give them that coupon (even when it doesn't even apply to the product). But I honestly cant complain, this work place treated me well for a significant amount of time.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Coupon policy
caotic stressful place to work
FRONT END SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 January 2016
I was hired to be in charge of the front end of the store along with all the cashiers. I was not trained or given a proper job description of my resonsibilities
Pros
michaels discount
Cons
more management
Good Company
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 December 2015
Michaels has changed quite a bit since i worked there last the team is all new and there have been significant renovations. However when i was employed i enjoyed my time with the company. The staff was good and there was a great work/life balance.
Awesome place to work, really enjoyed it.
Seasonal Cashier and floor person (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB16 March 2016
I loved working at the Michaels store in GP. They had fabulous people to work with and the managers were amazing. I was sad to have to move on.
friendly people
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 January 2016
the work is fun the people are nice the management is very understanding flexible hours for people who go to school easy to learn the ropes may need better communicators
Pros
friendly workers
Cons
no full time

2.9