Michaels Employee Reviews

Fun work environment
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON22 April 2016
fast paced environment, must be able to handle difficult situations, good management team, friendly staff. Hardest part of the job is grumpy customers, best part; the people you'll meet/work with
Pros
short shifts
Cons
short shifts
Fun and encouraging work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON6 July 2016
I had a great time working here. My co-workers were friendly as well as my managers. It was rewarding helping customers find what they need as well as making sure they left happy.
Pros
Lovely work environment, Friendly staff, Nice items
busy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON20 August 2016
loved all the craft discounts. also helped do children's birthday parties and craft demonstrations .Coworkers were very helpful when I had questions'
Pros
discount
Creative workplace
Full Time Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON28 February 2016
I greatly enjoyed working with this company. Being a creative individual, the workplace and the product I dealt with was positive and the management was always willing to answer questions and help out their employees.
Pros
Great associate discount, friendly fellow employees
Cons
Employees were made to clean the bathrooms, sometimes without the proper protection.
great staff but extremely horrid management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB19 April 2016
management purposefully forced me out of shifts due to a simple clash of personality regardless of my stats being rather remarkable.
Pros
great staff, fun environment
Cons
management
Check out the managers before you commit.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON1 March 2014
Michael's isn't the worst place to work in the world but it was not enjoyable. The managers and supervisors overall were mean and hated to work there. They liked to point out everyone's mistakes which were made public because we all wore ear pieces. On many occasions I would hear a manager or supervisor telling off an employee over the earpiece.

One of the supervisors even got mad if you didn't know how to do something. I just stopped asking for help and made stuff up so I wouldn't have to deal with them anymore.

A supervisor (who was a rare nice one) ended up having a huge health problem and required time off and hospitalization including surgery. When her family asked if her job would be secure when she came back, the manager said that she wasn't guaranteeing anything. I quit before she came back so I'm not sure what happened but it sounded like Michael's wasn't very concerned about her.

You do get a 15% discount but it's pretty useless when you can just use the coupons that regular customers get.

Raises are around 20 cents.
Pros
Paid short breaks for four hour shifts.
Cons
Management was horrible.
Very fun and enjoyable workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 March 2016
Very fun and enjoyable work place.
Fantastic management.
Company really appreciates the staff.
Best part of the job was meeting all the creative people and seeing how much they love talking about what they do.
Pros
Amazing company to work for
Cons
no complaints
Amazing costumers and co-workers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB9 July 2016
Everyone working there is always happy and kind. 99% of the costumers that come into the store are also happy and kind. I have made a lot of friends working at Micheals.
plenty busy when hours are available
Replenishment / Stocking Shelves (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 February 2016
Being a retail place of business, when the sales are down, the hours go down as well except for management. Most people cannot keep working when only offered 10 hours a week. I love working here , the atmosphere is great when hours are up, then when hours are down, the workers get sloppy in their jobs.
Pros
enjoy the hours
Cons
lack of hours when sales are down
Replenishment
Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Deerfoot Meadows, Calgary Alberta12 June 2014
Well the job was alright. I mean it is retail. I really liked it at first. The first 3 months everything was almost fun. I worked at the Deerfoot Meadows location. The management was not so great.... They went through three different managers within the 9 months I worked there. The general manager would tell me to do one thing while my replenishment manager would tell me to do another. They time you when you stock. I don't think it is a horrible thing but they don't take into account the time when you walk away from the product to help a customer. So they come back and aren't pleased that your first job wasn't done. Well, they say customers come first... They shouldn't get mad if it isn't done "on time"
I am ok if we are working toward goals but nagging about it doesn't help.
Co-workers are fun.
Pros
Occasional free lunch, salary, co-workers
Cons
Managment, tiresome
Absolutely appalling
customer experience (Former Employee) –  prince george, bc7 April 2013
Michaels was the absolute worst working experience of my life. The management was horrendous, treating its employees like slaves and actually breaking several labor laws. Employees are expected to do everything for minimum pay and are treated as criminals, forced to wait to leave work despite being off the clock while the managers searched their bags/purses. Hours were poor and the upper management would cut everyone else's hours to maintain their steady pay. Awful policies were in place and you would be punished for not talking to customers even if you had already spoke with them; it only mattered if you did it in front of the manager. There was no incentives and many would freeload off the work of the few like myself who actually tried. Any promotion prospects they tell you about are basically lies. However some of the employees were Ok.
Pros
a few employees were ok
Cons
everything else.
Great place
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS13 June 2016
working at Michaes was a fun time. getting to work with the kids taught me that you can have fun at work. I was a little on the uneasy side because the hours were given out weirdly.
Pros
able to learn and grow.
Cons
low hours for not getting emails.
It was alright
Seasonal Stock Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON8 April 2016
I was hired as a TEMP for Christmas help. I worked in stock replenishment. I was "supposed:" to be in the early mornings unloading new stock and placing it out on the floor. I only ever worked that shift ONCE in the four months I was there. I usually worked as a regular sales associate during store hours or closing shifts cleaning the store. It was ok because I am a "people person" and I like people. After all, customers are why you have the job. But just so you know, if you get hired for one position, does not mean that will be the position you do. The wages were minimum wage which sucks if your trying to make a living on your own. If your sharing your living costs with a spouse or common law partner, its good extra cash or grocery money. If your a student, living at home, it should also be alight. But if your single, living on your, providing for yourself and paying rent or mortgage, this job alone will not cut it. Other than the money, I did enjoy the job. I like arts and crafts. I learned about other arts and crafts that I did not "make" or "know about" before working there and I like working with people.
Pros
Arts, Crafts, People
Cons
Low wages, worked in another area other than what I was hired for
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON11 January 2016
Working at Michael's taught me how to plan and coordinate events within the store. I learn how to manage my time within a very limited time frame. It was hard work but I felt accomplished at the end of a day's work. I worked at Michael's while attending University and they were excellent about scheduling shifts around classes and very accommodating during exam periods.
Pros
Innovative, creative
Cons
Long hours standing
Michaels was a fun, artistic environment.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2016
Working at Michaels was very interesting. The store was moving locations so they needed people to hep build the store. I was able to help in the creation of this Michaels store, I learned about how to put stores together, and to appreciate the effort that goes into it.

For a while, a typical day was to go in to the store, build some shelves, make sure the plan was right, and stock the shelves and walls. After that, a typical day would be to walk around the store to see if any customers needed assistance, or to work on cash.

It was so cool to be able to learn new things about peoples' art. I learned so much about yarn, scrapbooking, glass fusing, it was really a great environment. I once spent an hour with a customer because she was really brining me into her current project, and was asking my opinion about things.

The hardest part of the job was definitely setting up the store. The hours were long and not exciting, but it was amazing once the store was built to know that I was apart of that.

My co-workers were all incredibly friendly. If anyone needed help, someone would be there. Even in the breakroom there was always happy chatting going on, very good people to get along with.

One problem I had was with the management. They were not very organized and this caused a lot of problems with staffing. The managers were very nice people, they just needed to get on the same page of what was going on in the store.
Okay
Replenishment Team Member (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB29 June 2016
Working here I gained experience and experienced how hard it is to work retail and stock the shelves in a timely and efficient manner,
Cons
few hoyrs
Great place to work always something new arriving
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston Ontario26 June 2012
Lots of customer interaction, learned to deal with many different types of people management was always very reassuring and helpful.
We always had lots of well trained and friendly staff at hand. Since we often had classes and events for the customer this made the job very enjoyable.
The hardest part was if we ran out of something and had to tell some it was available anymore so we could not met their needs.
Pros
lots of staff incentives
Cons
long hours and late night
Warm workplace
Cashier & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON16 May 2016
A very organized and well managed workplace. Waves of customers would appear often, but the team handles it and cleans the aftermath with ease and exceptional service.
Pros
Very friendly and welcoming environment
Cons
An hour would feel like five
Was able to work with kids, which I enjoy
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC4 May 2016
Usually the only cashier during the weekday; was a very high paced. Learned to be quick and efficient with my duties. Learned how to help customers in a professional manor, while providing them with excellent customer service.
Pros
Learning to craft
Cons
Not enough hours
Great atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS9 June 2016
Great staff to work with, job wasn't necessarily easy but it definitely wasn't difficult. Received great guidance from supervisors and managers.

2.9