Michaels Employee Reviews in Canada

Hectic but fun when the hours are up.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMarch 2, 2015
During the Christmas hours it was hectic.. and I loved it! The fast pace, the happy customers buying their products, it was all so fun! The employees were all so friendly, it was like a family away from home. The hardest part for me was leaving, I had to move across town and it would have been harder to get to work. Plus the hours after Christmas decreased dramatically, so it wouldn't have covered much of my travel expenses. All in all, it was a great place to work.
Fun workplace
Cash/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New Minas, NSFebruary 25, 2015
Terrible hours, very erratic hours.
Great place to learn.
Very little opportunity for advancement.
I honestly love my job at Michaels. The issue is the very few hours even after being there for over a year.
Pros
fun atmosphere, great place to learn new skills, excellent discount
Cons
little hours.
intresting and most of the time a fun environment to work in
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONFebruary 25, 2015
as a cashier I have many duties such as handling cash, Customer Service product knowledge, computer system techniques . Etc.
Management most of the time are flexible and able to cooperate with my schedule They can be difficult to work with most of the time and lack communication between employees and management they just have to be approached a certain way.
co workers are amazing to work with, very Friendly and easy going.
The hardest part of the job is knowing product and what each is used for. I am a quick learner so I catch on pretty quickly though.
Most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with customer's.
Pros
customer interaction
Cons
not enough hours
fun place too work
Receiving manager (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SKFebruary 24, 2015
fun place too work good staff and understanding management.good employ discounts and incentive programs. fun crafting time good staff rate on classes
Amazing!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONFebruary 20, 2015
Working at michaels was one of the best experiences of my life! Every person who worked there was charming, intelligent, creative, and went above and beyond to help each customer that walked through the door!
Fun and Energetic workplace. It allows creativity to flow.
Cashier/ Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 9, 2015
The thing I enjoy most about this job is being able to connect to customers through creative ideas. At times, I will be able to help someone find a new creative way to use products. Other times, customers help me with solutions to a difficult craft when I'm stuck.
Great staff!
Sales Associate / Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 6, 2015
Great place to work!
I have met new people and friends for life!
If you are looking for decent hours, Michaels is NOT the place for you.
I enjoy the attitude of most of the staff however the managers don't do a very good job at ensuring hours and the well being of staff.
Enjoyable Experience
REPLINISHMENT-SEASONAL (Oct-Jan) (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BCFebruary 2, 2015
I will be always happy that I work at Michaels because I learn so much, share so much every single day from co-workers and customers.
Sales associate/ cashier (Current Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BCJanuary 30, 2015
Working, I am helping on cash, answering phone calls, an assisting customers while making sure the store is organized. All of the co-workers are very friendly giving it a great atmosphere.
Pros
great staff discounts
Cons
not enough hours per week
loved being surrounded by loving people
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 28, 2015
everyone was kind
hours were manageable
costumers were always nice
very clean environment
Enjoyed the people I had the pleasure of meeting and working with
Replenishment associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABJanuary 16, 2015
Start at 3 am
Unloaded a truck twice a week and replenished the shelves and helped with inventory and ordering stock.
My co-workers were all nice hard workers and made the job a lot more fun.
The hardest part of the job was the very early start time and the lack of full-time hours available.
Cons
not enough hours
Great environment and great people
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, Montreal, QCJanuary 14, 2015
In a day of work I would do cashier or be on the floor as sales associate. I enjoy helping customers & introducing them to our products. Team work is used a lot in my environment & I find that very important because being sociable is the first step to making our customers satisfied. Sometimes it gets hard when customers get rude, difficult and others, but it's up to us to keep up the good spirit. I learned to be a good sales associate, a organised cashier & most importantly I love my job!
if you like to come up with
Receiver And Floral Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABJanuary 5, 2015
craft ideas on the spot for moms who agree to have a birthday party for 12 kids and has no idea what to do, this is the place for you
Pleasent place to work
Part time Sales Assossiate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saint John NBJanuary 4, 2015
I do 4 hour shifts. I find I am tired at the end as I am on my feet for the full shift. The merchandise is very interesting, with such a variety of arts and crafts! I enjoy assisting customers, but at times I find I'm frustrated as I am limited in my knowledge of much of the crafts. The manager of the store is very pleasant and approachable. Most of my coworkers are young and nice. I would say the hardest part of the job is restocking the shelves with the returns etc.
Pros
30% employee discount
Cons
on your feet the whole time.
Great Place to Learn
Stock Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABDecember 31, 2014
At Michaels, a typical day of work consisted of putting away stock and assisting customers with their various needs. The majority of what I learned was art-related, however, I did learn the importance of standing up for myself and my beliefs. My coworkers tended to keep to themselves and most of them weren't very happy people, and/or were very young. Management had a difficult task of keeping us all organized, and as there were many young people working there, it was made even more difficult. There was also a multitude of people calling in sick daily, and it made our tasks more difficult. The hardest part of the job was making the fixtures, which was tedious and boring. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers.
Pros
discounts on merchandise
Cons
hours weren't fixed, shortage of staff
Very communicable person with good sense of humour.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCDecember 18, 2014
My typical day at work goes by very quickly. Always trying to stay as busy as possible. During break times I socialize with co-workers. Management at work is very organized and ready to help. The hardest part of the job is picking heavy stuff. The most enjoyable part is dealing with costumers. I meet very interesting people and I like helping everyone.
fast paced workplace with awesome eployers
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABDecember 11, 2014
A typical day at work for me would be getting to the till and ringing customers in. I never know when or if i am going to get a break. I learned that you have to be fast paced and collect a lot of emails. The management at Michaels is well mannered. My co-workers are amazing people. The hardest part of my job is collecting the amount of emails they want. The most enjoyable part of my job is making sure all my customers are happy.
Pros
discounts
Cons
break times
Flawed upper management.
CEM (Former Employee) –  OttawaNovember 25, 2014
The job seems fun at first but you quickly become aware that upper management does not care for its staff. Hard to stay motivated at a place with no encouragement or positive feedback.
My typical day at work includes customer service, handling transactions .
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 24, 2014
A very fun place to work. Very interesting what customers are crafting. My job entails serving customers, helping them find what they need to do their craft. The management team helps out when you need them. They are very quick to give you a pat on the back. The co-workers are great to work with. The hardest part of this job is multi-tasking at times. The most enjoyable part of this job is the great customers you meet every day.
Pros
positive reinforcement upon your acomplishments
Cons
the only problem is we are very part-time.
Disorganised back of store system and management, short on staff
Part Time Stock Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Markham, ONSeptember 17, 2014
On my first day I was expecting someone to go through my contract details with me, introduce the team or do an introduction on Michael's work system run down and tour round the whole store from inside out. Sure I got the tour of the store but the most important part like my hours, pay rate, taking my bank details, providing me all the pin codes for entering employee and finance rooms, my employee username and password for entering into the scan gun, my clocking in/out card and sick/vacation notice process all not given or gone through with me at all.

I'm already in my 4th shift some of my colleague already claimed they have been paid and I'm still unpaid for my work since I've started only be notified that my name is entered into the payroll system but they haven't bother to go through with on my bank details.
I asked if I can come into work on a less busier day of the week and where there is a manager that have free slots during work to paper work nope they completely ignored me on that suggestion.

My first day at work was hands on and learn on the job immediately. They didn't even run me through on health and safety hazardous and preventions or guide me on how to use the cardboard box compressing machine. Management jus expected me to know how there system work and know how to use every devices given to me.

Very disorganised management skills and moving on to the back of the store where the staff are suppose to help unload the truck it's a whole mess. Manager should pair up new staff to shadow or follow experienced staff to show how things are done exactly in the safest
  more... method shown to them. Again very disorganised, I know it's busy but manager should always be on there toes constantly if they have untrained employees that are new and have know idea about the whole system on how it works.

Personally I think there should really be either two managers on site that way one is placed in training new staff and the other is placed in managing and helping staff on shop floor or back of store, also placed experience senior staff or supervisors on front of store to keep things run smoothly and efficiently. Work would have been completed and run peacefully if manager just put everyone into separate mini teams and have each individual group with an experience staff or supervisor to keep an eye on things.
Pros
30% staff discount in store
Cons
management very disorganised, the back of store system is disorganised and waiting for major hazard situation to happen