Michaels Employee Reviews

Fun Place to work
Sales AssociateCashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 September 2016
Avery fun place to work. An excellent management team and staff. A wide verity of thing to learn, to be able to serve the customer better, and all of it free.
Fun and encouraging work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON6 July 2016
I had a great time working here. My co-workers were friendly as well as my managers. It was rewarding helping customers find what they need as well as making sure they left happy.
Pros
Lovely work environment, Friendly staff, Nice items
Mixed Bag
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 January 2017
At the store level, the people you work with a warm, supportive and friendly. There are many interesting products and the staff who specialize are more than willing to share their knowledge and help out if you get a question you can't answer. However once past store level, the support drops rapidly - corporate does not allow for enough hours to properly staff the store and therefore unless one is a manager, it is very, very unlikely to get more than 12 hours per week at the best of times. Company policies change or flip very quickly and communication is hit or miss, especially with the majority working part time which makes employees look like they don't know what they are talking about, despite being very capable individuals. I learned so much about cake decorating, jewelry making, what paints work best on a specific surface, how to read a yarn label to identify weight, what needles are needed and how to match dye lots and what adhesives work best for a particular project. But while the co-workers make the place great, the customers often don't and corporate policy rewards those who threaten to complain when an employee points out that they are trying to cheat discount policies.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, decent discount
Cons
not enough hours, no support from corporate
busy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON20 August 2016
loved all the craft discounts. also helped do children's birthday parties and craft demonstrations .Coworkers were very helpful when I had questions'
Pros
discount
Craft Store with amazing people
Floral Designer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2016
Recently I've been moved to the position as a Florist because of my ability to adapt to any environment and work hard at the task assigned to me. I am very creative; this attribute adds to the enjoyment of the job. I get to create things out of simple materials. Management is great. The people placed in management work hard to make sure you're on task and are always there when you need them. All my co-workers are kind and funny, they make a hard day enjoyable.
Pros
pizza lunches occasionally, Co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours, the pay
Loved it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 June 2016
I loved working here. Very fun place to work at. An excellent choice for people who are looking for their first retail/cashier job and don't know where to start.
Pros
Good management, fun and creative environment, strong team culture, some room for growth
Cons
Low pay
Was able to work with kids, which I enjoy
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC4 May 2016
Usually the only cashier during the weekday; was a very high paced. Learned to be quick and efficient with my duties. Learned how to help customers in a professional manor, while providing them with excellent customer service.
Pros
Learning to craft
Cons
Not enough hours
Great place
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS13 June 2016
working at Michaes was a fun time. getting to work with the kids taught me that you can have fun at work. I was a little on the uneasy side because the hours were given out weirdly.
Pros
able to learn and grow.
Cons
low hours for not getting emails.
Amazing costumers and co-workers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB9 July 2016
Everyone working there is always happy and kind. 99% of the costumers that come into the store are also happy and kind. I have made a lot of friends working at Micheals.
Warm workplace
Cashier & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON16 May 2016
A very organized and well managed workplace. Waves of customers would appear often, but the team handles it and cleans the aftermath with ease and exceptional service.
Pros
Very friendly and welcoming environment
Cons
An hour would feel like five
Creative workplace
Full Time Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON28 February 2016
I greatly enjoyed working with this company. Being a creative individual, the workplace and the product I dealt with was positive and the management was always willing to answer questions and help out their employees.
Pros
Great associate discount, friendly fellow employees
Cons
Employees were made to clean the bathrooms, sometimes without the proper protection.
Fin place, fun people, fun customers
Seasonal Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 March 2016
I worked an early shift at Michaels, setting out product and displays before we opened. I also worked part of the open shift, and helped customers as I was dealing with product. Coworkers all had interest in different arts and we were all able to offer our help and insight to different customers. We each had a personal radio with which to communicate with our coworkers on the floor.
The hardest part of the job may have been trying to get an organizational project done while still offering help to customers that need it, which could make a one-day project take a week. Management was open to conversation and suggestions regarding the way things were done and were fairly flexible when it came to our schedules.
Pros
learning about new forms of art, offering my own expertise
Cons
not being entirely knowledgeable about certain arts, glitter
Okay
Replenishment Team Member (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB29 June 2016
Working here I gained experience and experienced how hard it is to work retail and stock the shelves in a timely and efficient manner,
Cons
few hoyrs
Fun work environment
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON22 April 2016
fast paced environment, must be able to handle difficult situations, good management team, friendly staff. Hardest part of the job is grumpy customers, best part; the people you'll meet/work with
Pros
short shifts
Cons
short shifts
Productive but bad shifts management
Sales Associate/Cashier/Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 February 2016
Great place to work, friendly and helpful people, but very random and few shifts given, training provided is minimal. Management is very caring and supportive. They teach you the basics of Cash and framing but a lot of it is learn on your own. Customers are enjoyable for the most part. Breaks are short. Hardest part of the job would be the lack of staff during busy holidays schedules, Enjoyable part would be the friendly environment.
Pros
Easy going, very little stress
Cons
short irregular weekly shifts, few benefits
Nothing wrong with working here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 February 2016
I had worked here for 1 year and 7 months, and overall it was a stable job that I was comfortable going to. There were really no down falls, except for some strong willed costumers who insist you give them that coupon (even when it doesn't even apply to the product). But I honestly cant complain, this work place treated me well for a significant amount of time.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Coupon policy
plenty busy when hours are available
Replenishment / Stocking Shelves (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 February 2016
Being a retail place of business, when the sales are down, the hours go down as well except for management. Most people cannot keep working when only offered 10 hours a week. I love working here , the atmosphere is great when hours are up, then when hours are down, the workers get sloppy in their jobs.
Pros
enjoy the hours
Cons
lack of hours when sales are down
Great atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS9 June 2016
Great staff to work with, job wasn't necessarily easy but it definitely wasn't difficult. Received great guidance from supervisors and managers.
Friendly Associates and Great Atmosphere
Framing Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 May 2016
Great work environment with managers who appreciate and recognize employees.
Fun place to work and learn about guests new projects.
Typical day
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC5 April 2016
A typical day would be greeting and helping customers, working closely with associates.Organizing the front end and store events.The most enjoyable part of the job is belonging to a team.
Pros
Great environment, friendly associates

2.9