Michaels

Michaels Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Very Unorganized Company
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Arlington, TXApril 15, 2014
Did not enjoy working in a stressful atmosphere. Customers were always unsatisfied, and complaining. Store manager always talked down to me condescendingly, refused to rotate positions, and didn't give any opportunity. Wasn't flexible and wouldn't give me a requested day off. Inconsistent hours.
fun and productive
Cashier (Current Employee), 1804 N. Woodland Pk Dr layton utah 84041April 13, 2014
I cashier, clean, stock, and answer phones. Management is great. they let us know what needs to be done
It's ok
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee), Dunwoody, GAApril 9, 2014
Pros: hours
Cons: environment, policies
It can be very stressful. On a typical closing day mon - fri there are 4 people closing (one being a framing). It would be nice to have more people closing. Some manager as well as co- workers are fun and great to be around, and some you just have to get use to being around. I've learned a lot here with all of my positions.
Horrible
Customer Service Representative / Sales (Former Employee), Tampa, FLApril 3, 2014
Do not work here. Unfriendly atmosphere. No management.
Do not work here. Unfriendly atmosphere. No management.
Nice place to work
Customer Business Operations Trainer (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 1, 2014
I've been traveling for a few years with Michaels, opening new stores and training staff all over north America.
Fun workplace with advancement opportunities
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee), RichmondMarch 30, 2014
One of the more fun retail chains to work for. Opportunities to advance if desired.
Creative Job with Impossible Standards
Floral Designer/ Department Manager (Current Employee), CAMarch 29, 2014
Pros: creative
Cons: insane production, no help, clueless managers
At first, this was a job I thought I would love, seeing as I am an artist and I love being creative. The fun was soon sucked out of this position for me. There is only one floral designer at each location, and they are alone in the department, the managers (who are mostly nice people) have no idea about training the designer, so a designer from another – more... location has to train you. After a week, I was on my own (this is the same across the so cal district). Michaels goes through seasonal production, and does not allow the floral designer much assistance. So, its all about being able to figure it out yourself, and if you get hired during peak season (June to December) you better be prepared to hit the ground running.

During seasonal production, you are sent pallet after pallet of supplies about 6 ft wide by 7 ft tall (blank wreaths, crosses, little vases with a little greenery) which you are to unload yourself, and have unpacked, designed, priced and merchandised within two weeks. This is the equivalent of about 150-200 units, not to mention the 250 bows they want you to make. During this time, you may or may not even have full time hours, and you will not receive any assistance (although to be fair I did get an assistant for 4 hours a week for about 4 weeks during christmas production:BIG HELP). In the time that I have worked there, June 2013 to March 2014, I have produced approximately 1900 units and 600 handmade bows, and I was told this was not enough! (It should have been about 2400) And what they also don't tell you is your "full time" status is really only honored during seasonal production, between Jan-May you're lucky to get 6 hour shifts, but the production demand is still about 80 units per week. During that shift, half of it will be taken up by helping the sales floor because we're constantly under-staffed, going to the bank and answering overflow calls.

All this, and I make $13.50/hr. – less
Pretty good for the most part
Merchandising (Former Employee), Irving, TXMarch 27, 2014
Pros: nice cafeteria, good benefits, decent pay
Cons: too much work piled on at times, no real training
Michaels was overall a fun place to work. Each day was challenging and I learned a lot during my time there. The places I've worked since have been extremely easy in comparison. I do miss working there a lot. My best job by far!
Fun place to work
Certified Custom Framer (Current Employee), Ogden, UTMarch 24, 2014
I have been here six years and love it! I have learned many new skills and met many different people in three different stores across the country.
professional and positive environment
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAMarch 18, 2014
I've worked here for 8 months and it was very good experience for me with it being my first paying job. the manager and other employees were very friendly. i worked more in the backroom handling the shipments and did a very good job. i ended my employment there because i decided to go back to school and further my education.
Not a good place for a career
Former Michaels long-term (many years) employee (Former Employee), Corporate Office (Irivng, TX)March 17, 2014
This company has started a practice of "re-organization" and eliminating positions for employees that have been there for many years. They then re-post the old position at a lower paygrade. Legal but very unethical. Not a place to plan a career.
productive and overall fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Tukwila, WAMarch 13, 2014
Pros: being around friendly professional people
Cons: short breaks
Michaels should have more full time positions available hence I would not have to look for another job because I'm always being shortened hours
Had a nice cafeteria which was very convenient.
Education Program Specialist (Former Employee), Irving, TXMarch 12, 2014
I learned a great deal in the 14 years I was with the company and am thankful for the opportunities I was given. There were some wonderful people that I worked with over the years.
Creative work environment/ Productive tasking every shift
Customer Experience Manager-Events (Current Employee), Whitehall Township, PAMarch 9, 2014
Pros: assciate discounts, michaels cares organization, great work environment
Cons: short breaks, not consistant scheduling
Managers are responsible for supervising a team of over forty individuals with daily operations. For confirming money counts and caring keys for opening/closing business. We assist with validating counts on products for inventory and merchandising units on sales floor.

My position insures a class calendar is posted months in advance with a full range – more... of activities. I build relationships with customers to assist with sales in custom floral and custom framing specialty businesses. As customer experience, I work not only in the building to greet and help customers but also in the community with events.

Working with customers and in the community is the most rewarding part of my job. The most challenging part is knowing what can get done in a day and learning how to balance the tasks. Definitely a rewarding career for anyone starting out. – less
very productive
picker (Former Employee), new lennox,illMarch 7, 2014
Pros: paid lunch break
Cons: short breaks
very productive place to work in always keeping you up on your toes with something to do. Management was great always listened to their employees
Nice and Mellow
Jewelry Instructor (Current Employee), Greenville, NCMarch 4, 2014
Pros: discount
Really nice peaceful place to work. The co-workers are nice. The job is fairly easy. Management is really easy to work for.
fun place to work
Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Baytown, TXMarch 1, 2014
Pros: friendly people, good management, regular breaks
Cons: no benefits, not very many hours
typical retail job. Customers are usually very sweet, coworkers are great. Managers care and appreciate your comments. Truly open door policy, no drama allowed! Love the job, love the customers. Overall great place to work
produtive workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Woodland, CAFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: fun environment
Cons: short breaks
love working at Michaels arts and crafts it is a great company.
Fun place to work
Florist (Former Employee), coral springs flFebruary 22, 2014
Great co-workers, good managers, friendly. Best part of the job was assisting customers.
good mangement
Floral Designer (Current Employee), austinFebruary 21, 2014
Nice place to work but limited hours available to employees

About Michaels

Michaels Stores is crafty. The nation's #1 arts and crafts retailer owns and operates¬†about 1,075 Michaels Stores across the US – Read more