Michaels Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Good place to work while still in school
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON21 March 2017
Working at Michaels has allowed me to further my customer experience, and it is good to have as a part time job while still in school. Everyday is different but its always fun and all the staff is friendly and easy going.
Pros
work life balance, work environment
Cons
short shifts, little advancement
Good starter job, but little opportunity to advance
Floor Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC15 March 2017
I liked my coworkers and supervisors but my manager was not there a lot and seemed to favour certain employees even if other employees did a good/better job. The shifts were either really short or really long and they were at weird times (5am-8am, 11am-7pm etc).
Pros
Decent discount, coworkers were great
Cons
Absent managment, little opportunity for advancement/raises
Unorganized and could use new leadership
Merchandising product (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON14 March 2017
A typical day at work really was dependent on if there was or was not a truck, if a truck did come the day is busy and chaotic due to low space for product and unnecessarily strict product guidelines. Management was decent, my boss himself was a great boss, he had a good time at work while making it productive and educational. Other higher up management was non-existent in everyday work and simply did not do much in that aspect. The job was pretty decent for the most part just the people were not the most inclusive to new workers.
Pros
Great boss, Simple tasks
Cons
Poor organization, lack of leadership
Be aware
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario12 March 2017
It was a fun place to work however as time went on they were trying to run this company like it is its own country.
The ZVP for Zone 5 needs to chill out. Unfortunately it reflects back to the DMs whom which basically 2 in the GTA are good people and one an idiot.
The expectations are unrealistic. The hours long and no work life balance.
They give you 3 days off in lieu for working extra mandatory days at Christmas which they just fly under the radar for based on labour law.
After a long tenior and deciding to leave, I have 0 regrets.
The culture needs to change.
Pros
vacation pay benefits.
Cons
long hours treated poorly almost militant
Excellent
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 March 2017
Michaels was a fun place to work at. If you like arts and crafts or are open to lots of new hobbies! I worked with a great bunch of people so we always had fun and a great time with our manager who was kind and considerate in regards to school schedules and personal commitments
Don't work here!
Cash Office Specialist/Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 March 2017
This is an okay place to work if you want a temp part-time job, but working there long term will erode your soul. The corporate structure treats their frontline people like they're disposable; thus there is high turnover. Management are definitely not on your side, and you will be frustrated by the frequent changes in company policy. There are no benefits; they don't even take Employee of the Month seriously. They're all about the bottom line.
Pros
Employee discount (25%)
Cons
Everything else
Creative and fun place
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB28 February 2017
I loved working at michaels maybe because I was an artist but it was fun and there were a lot of other co workers that were creative as well! Management was nice though! I can't say though it's a good job for those trying to make a living because it pays very low and they are only required to give you 3 hour shifts. You could also go a week or two without any shifts sometimes and there's no set schedule of time so you can work 3am one day and 12 pm the next. But if you're just going to school and working they understand for students so it's great.
Pros
Management, co-workers, creative output, great for first job
Cons
Short hours, no set scheduling
Great Starter Job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON28 February 2017
It was my very first part time job, it held me over through college, because the shifts were short. You don't get very many hours as it is. which was great at first but now that school is coming to a close I need better hours. The discount is great if you are a student or an avid crafter as it works with the stores coupons.
Pros
great staff, short hours, employee discount
Cons
no benefits, rude customers
organized and positive environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 February 2017
i was continuously surprised by the amount of positivity within employee relationships and customers who came into the store. It was truly a place that never felt like "work" to me.
Amazing place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON19 February 2017
All workers are super easy to get along with, and are always willing to answer any question for you even if it is a 'stupid' question. They're easy to joke around with, and make you feel like you're all a huge family.
Pros
Lots of shifts
Fun, fast paced
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON16 February 2017
It's a good company to work for, but you need to be a strong worker. I think a lot of people expect it to be super easy because of the type of store but their is a lot of work that goes into that store.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Moncton Area, NB16 February 2017
Great place to work if your looking for part time, great people, works great with your schedule, but it wasn't the best place for me has there is no where place to grow
Very friendly staff, easy to work with and always willing to help
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON15 February 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my seasonal position as a team member at Michaels. I was eager to start and would willingly go back if the opportunity presented itself. The staff there were always so helpful when I first started out and everyone was friendly and easy to work with.
Pros
Wonderful staff
Seasonal Part Time Job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 February 2017
Interesting place to work. I was Seasonal Help. The customers were usually very pleasant and the General Manager was extremely supportive.
Pros
Enjoyable customers craft oriented
Cons
Seasonal only for 4 months
Filled with crafty, creative people
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON12 February 2017
Michaels was a great place to work. The employees are some of the most creative and inspired people all of whom started out as customers.
great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL11 February 2017
the people are nice to work with as well as management. a normal shift can be demanding but well worth it. the most enjoyable part is meeting many different an pleasant people.
Fun place to work
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 February 2017
Fun place to work and most of the staff is very friendly. Management is all over the place as no one is on the same page so one manager will tell you one thing and another will tell you the opposite
very welcolming enviroment
Front end supervisor/cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS8 February 2017
very friendly atmosphere. I felt management gave good feedback and credit when it was do. Great job. Pay could have been better
Positive Team
Framing Manager (Current Employee) –  New Minas, NS6 February 2017
Positive team mates who are so creative, building frames and allow clients to build a custom design for me to preserve their most cherished pictures and artifacts.
Fun to work at
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 February 2017
Really fun to work

Good discounts sometimes.

easy not too busy besides Christmas.

The managaers are pretty cool and chill

good salary and hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9