Michaels Employee Reviews in Canada

Great
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONMay 10, 2015
Having lots of crafts around and coupons, and seeing how many different hobbies there are is an inspiration. The hardest part of the job is not being able to give more coupons out to customers especially if they only come in once a month.
Great team and awesome customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, B.C.May 5, 2015
You punch in, wear your red vest and get started. Greet customers, and help them find products. Tills are fast pace and require collecting email and coupon collection.
Pros
free classes
Cons
limited hours. high pressure
Great environment and great people
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Saint-Laurent, Montreal, QCJanuary 14, 2015
In a day of work I would do cashier or be on the floor as sales associate. I enjoy helping customers & introducing them to our products. Team work is used a lot in my environment & I find that very important because being sociable is the first step to making our customers satisfied. Sometimes it gets hard when customers get rude, difficult and others, but it's up to us to keep up the good spirit. I learned to be a good sales associate, a organised cashier & most importantly I love my job!
great job
refill team (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ONJune 4, 2015
its a great job to work for its not that hard its all light duty work. the staff and managers are friendly and make you feel apart of an strong team to work for.
Pros
great job
Cons
not enough hours
Pleasent place to work
Part time Sales Assossiate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saint John NBJanuary 4, 2015
I do 4 hour shifts. I find I am tired at the end as I am on my feet for the full shift. The merchandise is very interesting, with such a variety of arts and crafts! I enjoy assisting customers, but at times I find I'm frustrated as I am limited in my knowledge of much of the crafts. The manager of the store is very pleasant and approachable. Most of my coworkers are young and nice. I would say the hardest part of the job is restocking the shelves with the returns etc.
Pros
30% employee discount
Cons
on your feet the whole time.
Fun environment, very seasonal
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 16, 2015
I enjoyed working at Michaels, the customers can be a bit difficult being the "older crafty" type. I liked the fast paced chistmas season, but once march rolled around I was bored and stuck on the front end jut standing there
Enjoyed the people I had the pleasure of meeting and working with
Replenishment associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary ABJanuary 16, 2015
Start at 3 am
Unloaded a truck twice a week and replenished the shelves and helped with inventory and ordering stock.
My co-workers were all nice hard workers and made the job a lot more fun.
The hardest part of the job was the very early start time and the lack of full-time hours available.
Cons
not enough hours
Fun workplace
Cash/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New Minas, NSFebruary 25, 2015
Terrible hours, very erratic hours.
Great place to learn.
Very little opportunity for advancement.
I honestly love my job at Michaels. The issue is the very few hours even after being there for over a year.
Pros
fun atmosphere, great place to learn new skills, excellent discount
Cons
little hours.
Fun and Energetic workplace. It allows creativity to flow.
Cashier/ Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 9, 2015
The thing I enjoy most about this job is being able to connect to customers through creative ideas. At times, I will be able to help someone find a new creative way to use products. Other times, customers help me with solutions to a difficult craft when I'm stuck.
fast paced workplace with awesome eployers
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, ABDecember 11, 2014
A typical day at work for me would be getting to the till and ringing customers in. I never know when or if i am going to get a break. I learned that you have to be fast paced and collect a lot of emails. The management at Michaels is well mannered. My co-workers are amazing people. The hardest part of my job is collecting the amount of emails they want. The most enjoyable part of my job is making sure all my customers are happy.
Pros
discounts
Cons
break times
Great Place to Learn
Stock Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABDecember 31, 2014
At Michaels, a typical day of work consisted of putting away stock and assisting customers with their various needs. The majority of what I learned was art-related, however, I did learn the importance of standing up for myself and my beliefs. My coworkers tended to keep to themselves and most of them weren't very happy people, and/or were very young. Management had a difficult task of keeping us all organized, and as there were many young people working there, it was made even more difficult. There was also a multitude of people calling in sick daily, and it made our tasks more difficult. The hardest part of the job was making the fixtures, which was tedious and boring. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers.
Pros
discounts on merchandise
Cons
hours weren't fixed, shortage of staff
Worst company ever
Custom Frame Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 22, 2016
By far the worst company I have ever worked for. Fist, they don't tell you you are responsible for more then just custom frames. You get the custom department you have to look after but they also give you the frames off the floor you are responsible for ( they don't tell you that up front ).
Second, after being there as the department manager for almost a year they have still never sent me for training, everything I do I taught myself as they will not spend the money to train people correctly.
Third, when the store is slow and they don't think they will make their day money wise they cancel all floor staff , you can't get your own work done because the customer can not find anyone else on the floor so they come to you. ( I guess to michaels saving $50 on having someone on the floor is better then having happy customers that can find help on the floor).
Fourth, michaels was handed a huge fine last summer for how they did their pricing on custom frames, so instead of just abiding by the law they have come up with a way to skirt around it by using coupons we give you so you never have to pay full price for custom framing.
Fifth, after putting up with everything ( no training, bad hours, no help ect...) for a year that they give you they tell you that you will now be the only manager in the store that gets no weekend off ever , that you can't have 2 days off in a row .
Do yourself a favor and stay as far away from this company as you can! This company has no business ethics at all.
Pros
Get to see some unique and amazing artwork
Cons
Bad management, No training, No ethics, No weekends off
This is not a review of this employer.
Customer Framing Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 19, 2015
I would recommend this employer to those looking for a job when the opportunity should arise. The best way to get an opinion of this company is to talk to those who work there.
Very communicable person with good sense of humour.
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BCDecember 18, 2014
My typical day at work goes by very quickly. Always trying to stay as busy as possible. During break times I socialize with co-workers. Management at work is very organized and ready to help. The hardest part of the job is picking heavy stuff. The most enjoyable part is dealing with costumers. I meet very interesting people and I like helping everyone.
Great career for a passion in crafts
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 18, 2015
- busy day
- great way to help other customers in new project ideas and introduce new materials and products
- great co workers
Good place for my first job.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 11, 2015
Typically I would work 4 hour shifts as a cashier. After a few weeks of working here I was asked to become a Rainbow Loom Instructor. I enjoyed working with kids who had enrolled.
Cons
Short hours
Same rotation every week, same tasks every day with slight differences
Support Specialist in the cash office (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AlbertaMarch 4, 2015
Work was very pretty routine in the tasks I had to complete each week. I knew what I had to do each day and that made it that much easier.
Cons
short shifts, not many hours
Great staff!
Sales Associate / Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 6, 2015
Great place to work!
I have met new people and friends for life!
If you are looking for decent hours, Michaels is NOT the place for you.
I enjoy the attitude of most of the staff however the managers don't do a very good job at ensuring hours and the well being of staff.
My typical day at work includes customer service, handling transactions .
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONSeptember 24, 2014
A very fun place to work. Very interesting what customers are crafting. My job entails serving customers, helping them find what they need to do their craft. The management team helps out when you need them. They are very quick to give you a pat on the back. The co-workers are great to work with. The hardest part of this job is multi-tasking at times. The most enjoyable part of this job is the great customers you meet every day.
Pros
positive reinforcement upon your acomplishments
Cons
the only problem is we are very part-time.
Sales associate/ cashier (Current Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BCJanuary 30, 2015
Working, I am helping on cash, answering phone calls, an assisting customers while making sure the store is organized. All of the co-workers are very friendly giving it a great atmosphere.
Pros
great staff discounts
Cons
not enough hours per week