Michaels Employee Reviews in Canada

Great career for a passion in crafts
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 18, 2015
- busy day
- great way to help other customers in new project ideas and introduce new materials and products
- great co workers
I liked the people, but the hours were awful.
Re-stocker and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMay 16, 2015
The only problem I had and the main reason I no longer work part time there is because it was required that we be there at 5 am in the morning. Other than that it is a wonderful place to work.
Pros
Nice management.
Cons
Bad hours.
Great
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ONMay 10, 2015
Having lots of crafts around and coupons, and seeing how many different hobbies there are is an inspiration. The hardest part of the job is not being able to give more coupons out to customers especially if they only come in once a month.
Great team and awesome customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Langley, B.C.May 5, 2015
You punch in, wear your red vest and get started. Greet customers, and help them find products. Tills are fast pace and require collecting email and coupon collection.
Pros
free classes
Cons
limited hours. high pressure
Busy work place with fun projects
Cashier and sales representative (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MBMay 5, 2015
Working at Michael's is mostly very enjoyable. The people I work with are amazing and I love my manager. The tasks at work can get a little repetitive when it's time to recover the store and put items away. I really enjoy helping customers with my knowledge of arts and crafts because they are always thankful and appreciative when my co workers and I help them with the answers they're looking for.
Pros
Working with fun crafts
Cons
Minimum wage/not enough hours
Was great Seasonal Work...
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stittsville, ONApril 29, 2015
Wish I could have stayed longer. It was easy to adjust to the flow of the work and the customers. I really enjoyed certain managers, who were approachable and nice. I really benefited working there. Was able to help apply for school, I learned that I am a reliable fast worker, who always said yes if asked to stay later or with another task.
Pros
Great Coworkers
Cons
Seasonal
This is not a review of this employer.
Customer Framing Associate (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONApril 19, 2015
I would recommend this employer to those looking for a job when the opportunity should arise. The best way to get an opinion of this company is to talk to those who work there.
Fun environment, very seasonal
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABApril 16, 2015
I enjoyed working at Michaels, the customers can be a bit difficult being the "older crafty" type. I liked the fast paced chistmas season, but once march rolled around I was bored and stuck on the front end jut standing there
Good place for my first job.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ONApril 11, 2015
Typically I would work 4 hour shifts as a cashier. After a few weeks of working here I was asked to become a Rainbow Loom Instructor. I enjoyed working with kids who had enrolled.
Cons
Short hours
• Over 5 years of experience in customer service • Adaptable and flexible individual who is willing to learn and apply new skills efficiently • Reli
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONApril 8, 2015
Over 5 years of experience in customer service
• Reliable, respectful toward others, and dedicated to get the job done
• Able to adapt to a fast pace, ever changing intense environment with minimal supervision
• Able to effectively deal with difficult issues with sound judgment
Fun workplace which enhanced my work ethics
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newmarket OntarioMarch 21, 2015
At Michaels I was a cashier so my job each day was to cash out customers when they were ready to cash out and ensure they were satisfied with there customer service that they received. I was also responsible for helping any customers that needed help locating a product they were looking for and answering any questions they may have about any products. From this job I got a better understanding of the system and programs that they used which enhanced my technological abilities. All of the employees were great people to work with and made it an even more enjoyable place to work.
It's a fun place to work.
Seasonal member (Former Employee) –  665 W BroadwayMarch 11, 2015
Part-time cashiers only work for 4 hours and with the amount of time you spend handling customers you kind of don't notice it pass by. The hours are good, the co-workers are open and friendly, and the location is easy to get to.

The head manager is kind of... off-putting, but he does it in order to keep the store together so that the ratings don't plummet and the location stays open.

There isn't really much to say about this place since I had an overall good experience working here and it's everything you'd expect to experience in a retail store.

Only real downside is the 3 hour rushes during the high peak of the seasons and foot pain. Oh, and putting go-backs away.
Pros
30% employee discount, friendly co-workers, reasonable hours and pay
Cons
any place in retail has those grumpy customers that you have to grin and bear with.
Same rotation every week, same tasks every day with slight differences
Support Specialist in the cash office (Current Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AlbertaMarch 4, 2015
Work was very pretty routine in the tasks I had to complete each week. I knew what I had to do each day and that made it that much easier.
Cons
short shifts, not many hours
Hectic but fun when the hours are up.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NLMarch 2, 2015
During the Christmas hours it was hectic.. and I loved it! The fast pace, the happy customers buying their products, it was all so fun! The employees were all so friendly, it was like a family away from home. The hardest part for me was leaving, I had to move across town and it would have been harder to get to work. Plus the hours after Christmas decreased dramatically, so it wouldn't have covered much of my travel expenses. All in all, it was a great place to work.
Fun workplace
Cash/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  New Minas, NSFebruary 25, 2015
Terrible hours, very erratic hours.
Great place to learn.
Very little opportunity for advancement.
I honestly love my job at Michaels. The issue is the very few hours even after being there for over a year.
Pros
fun atmosphere, great place to learn new skills, excellent discount
Cons
little hours.
intresting and most of the time a fun environment to work in
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONFebruary 25, 2015
as a cashier I have many duties such as handling cash, Customer Service product knowledge, computer system techniques . Etc.
Management most of the time are flexible and able to cooperate with my schedule They can be difficult to work with most of the time and lack communication between employees and management they just have to be approached a certain way.
co workers are amazing to work with, very Friendly and easy going.
The hardest part of the job is knowing product and what each is used for. I am a quick learner so I catch on pretty quickly though.
Most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with customer's.
Pros
customer interaction
Cons
not enough hours
fun place too work
Receiving manager (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SKFebruary 24, 2015
fun place too work good staff and understanding management.good employ discounts and incentive programs. fun crafting time good staff rate on classes
Amazing!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ONFebruary 20, 2015
Working at michaels was one of the best experiences of my life! Every person who worked there was charming, intelligent, creative, and went above and beyond to help each customer that walked through the door!
Fun and Energetic workplace. It allows creativity to flow.
Cashier/ Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 9, 2015
The thing I enjoy most about this job is being able to connect to customers through creative ideas. At times, I will be able to help someone find a new creative way to use products. Other times, customers help me with solutions to a difficult craft when I'm stuck.
Great staff!
Sales Associate / Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 6, 2015
Great place to work!
I have met new people and friends for life!
If you are looking for decent hours, Michaels is NOT the place for you.
I enjoy the attitude of most of the staff however the managers don't do a very good job at ensuring hours and the well being of staff.