Michaels Employee Reviews

Fairly fun
Framing Manager/Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2017
Management was a bit tough, but that is expected for a corporate chain store. Goals are expected to be met, and when they are not, there are usually repercussions.

People working under you or with you are usually great. Team environment is friendly too.
Ottawa Pinecrest Store
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 May 2017
Customer Service Manager for 3 plus years.

I had the blessing of working with a great team at Michaels Pinecrest. Store Manager Ann Marie Jamieson was supportive and a great leader. I enjoyed my time working for Michaels.
My only complaint would be with District..expecting unrealistic expectations and when needed support was often denied. Hours being cut and not enough coverage on floors during peak hours.
Overall i appreciated everything that Michaels has taught me. If you are looking for a part time job and can handle a fast pace then this is a great starter job to break you into retail.
Pros
Great management team/Michaels Pinecrest
Cons
Few hours/ Not enough staff coverage.
unprofessional
Sales Associate (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB22 May 2017
Management was very poor and often would ignore days I had booked off and schedule me for those days and would only give me 24 hours notice of shifts sometimes. Their excuse being that its retail and its how it works, very unprofessional and horrible way to treat your employees. Also good luck getting paid more than minimum wage these people are penny pinchers as they are well aware their business is slowly dying.
Good place to work.
Temporary Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON15 May 2017
Interesting place to work. Learned a lot about arts supplies and such. People that I worked with were very friendly and helpful. Management was patient and understanding, however it sometimes felt as though we were expected to learn a lot of complicated information that wouldn't be useful anywhere other than Micheals in a very short amount of time. But that might have just been because we under a time constraint since we were helping with store set up. Don`t expect to get a whole lot of shifts though haha.
Pros
Friendly People
Cons
Physically taxing
Days go by fast, fun work place
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB14 May 2017
When I first started management was fantastic, but now there have been some complications. Easy job to grasp knowledge of (Replenishment crew). Hours are based on sales, rough start. January - June is slow! Hours pick up around mid june/july and even more in october through december. Love working when there are hours available. If your moved out, own a newer car, phone, etc. it can be hard to stay stable in the slower seasons and even in peak seasons, depending on how many hours they have to dish out accordingly. But! We have this awesome program called Micheals cares that we raise money for, and that goes towards Micheal's employees who need finacial help, situtional help, etc.
Pros
Discount!!!
Cons
Not enough hours
Part Time Job
Sales associate- Certified Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON8 May 2017
I have worked at Micheals since 2011, it was a good job for after high school. But they are only willing to give part time hours, and management changes a lot.
The pro with working there is that they are very flexible with hours.
Cons
Strictly Part- time
A decent place to work as far as retail goes, but definitely some problems.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON7 May 2017
An okay place to work, management was good except for one grumpy manager who eventually did get a little bit better. It was really helpful to be able to talk to coworkers over the headsets if you had a question or needed help. They didn't train me super well when I started - my only training was watching powerpoints and videos for a couple hours, then shadowing a cashier for about two hours. After that I was expected to be okay on my own, which I hated because I had to ask a million questions through the headset. Also, the website to record your availability and request time off was absolute garbage. The managers would insist that you use the website, but then it never worked, and I would get scheduled for days when I was working at my other job, along with any other days I tried to book off. So that was stressful. As a cashier my job was pretty much as expected: cash customers out, do returns, take phone calls when customers called, and tidy shelves around the cash when it wasn't busy. The hours I got scheduled to work sucked sometimes, because in the summer I was only getting 4.5 hours a week (which is when I wanted more hours), and then around the holidays I was getting way more hours than I wanted, even though a manager had told me beforehand that it would be no problem for me to get a maximum of 8 hours/week (since I was now in school and had taken on a second job). Almost all of my coworkers were very nice, although I didn't get to know any of them too closely, and sometimes I would be the only person on cash so there would be no one to talk to.
Pros
Nice managers and coworkers, for the most part.
Cons
I think I covered this in my review...
What I do at work.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 May 2017
As a cashier, I was responsible for managing the cash register, doing returns, communicating with clients regarding our arts and crafts classes or questions they might have, answering the phone and tending to whoever is on the phone and making sure the area around the cash register is clean.

As a sales associate, I was responsible for helping customers around the store, giving them ideas and opinions on their projects, making sure the store is clean, helping the cashiers if they need an item from the floor, putting back returns onto the floor and cleaning the store after it's closed.
Pros
Awesome coworkers and managers
Cons
Not enough staff
Not a good place to work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 May 2017
Managers just hide in the office and take credit for your work when they were just hiding and avoiding work. Also they blame you if a customer complains that there wasn't any help on the sales floor when it was their fault for hiding in the back.
Love working there! Great atmosphere!
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 May 2017
Ive learnt a lot of great skills and I have met a lot of great people! Sometimes the hours can be a little long or too often for part time. But overall most of the management is great!
Pros
30% discount!
Cons
Weird Hours
the management was not the best
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB2 May 2017
the dress code was very biased towards women, meaning that the uniform that can change is for women only and as a male employee who runs how and could not wear knee length shorts of the appropriate colour.
Very nice management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 May 2017
A typical day at work included :Welcoming customers to the store and answering their queries,Ensuring high levels of customer satisfaction through excellent sales service. I have learned to stay calm in stressful circumstances. Nice workplace culture, respectful co-workers.The hardest part of the job was to refold the same sweater 27 times in a single day. A very enjoyable part, the environment of the store.
Pros
big beautiful store
Cons
it was just part time.
accepting great place to work overall
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Pitt Meadows, BC1 May 2017
working at this Michaels store, i gained a lot of experience with being a seasonal replenishment associate to start. trained well and good environment to work in; i did have early hours which put me in a situation where i had to switch around my sleep schedules when 3am shifts came around (not so often.)
overall, great experience, training i got was helpful and managers helped a lot while still trying to understand the work space.
Pros
reasonable break times
Cons
early hours
It was minimal
Cashier / Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS30 April 2017
The management was really terrible. The manager was not considerate. Overall, the atmosphere was well, the pay was standard and the coworkers were very lovely. The hours were very long and conflicted a lot with my personal schedule.
Pros
Good Atmosphere, Nice Coworkers
Cons
Long hours, poor managment
Enjoyable, but Not Guaranteed.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 April 2017
Typical day: Stocked shelves, and cashed out customers when it was busy.

What i've learned: Cleaning the store, and keeping customers satisfied

Management: Really nice and forgiving

Workplace culture: Not many people are too social

Hardest part: If your work is finished early, you have nothing to do

Enjoyable part: The themes within the store
Not all that bad
Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL27 April 2017
Okay place to work. Sometimes stressful. Management could use some work. If your looking for a full time job your out of luck. Mostly just part time work.
Pros
Friends
Cons
short shifts
great place to work!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 April 2017
A typical day at work would entail helping out customers and providing great customer service! A general background of arts and crafts is needed. highly reccommended
fun workplace, no benefit, managment issues.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC20 April 2017
Overall I loved the job. What I did, the customers I worked with, and products I sold. Only reason I am looking for a new job is because the manager at my specific store is unfair to everyone under them. Moreover almost everyone is hired and kept part-time so they cannot attain any medical benefits.
Working at Micheals
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  130 Country Village Rd NE Coventry Hill Centre19 April 2017
Working at Micheals was a fun and a very good learning experience.I was working during the holiday season (oct - nov) it can be very chaotic at times.
Very fun place to woke if you are willing to put in an effort.
Cashier/Recovery (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON6 April 2017
I worked here before and honestly the only reason why I left was because I moved away this job was very very very accommodating to being sick to meeting days off and for school life as well.
Management was very nice and if I had the opportunity I would go back and work for them again.
Pros
Nice co-workers.
Cons
Competitive work hours.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9