Michaels Employee Reviews in Canada

Seasonal Part Time Cashier Position
Seasonal Part Time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONOctober 12, 2015
Primarily responsible to processing customer purchases and returns as required. The biggest challenge was processing purchases within a limited time period. Questions and inquiries would need to be identified before the sale is entered into the cash register. Enjoyed meeting the various customers and learning about their various crafting interests.
Pros
Flexible Work schedule, short commute to work
Cons
Seasonal position did not lead to permanent position
Truck team
truck team/ sales associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONSeptember 3, 2015
I loved working here. its a great environment to work in with a fun team and easy hours if you like mornings. supportive management and easy work but can be a workout
Pros
Classes, friendly team
Cons
sometimes its hard to get the hours you want during the low season
general retail job
PT Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2016
Staff worked super slow expecting me to take up the slack
Supervisor did not control environment and processes
Asking questions was frowned upon
lots of politics
Part -Time Replenishment Crew (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 25, 2015
it is an okay company to work for but lots of politics....for the work you do the wages are not the greatest. The work is physical and you are expected to get it done in a timely manner. Younger staff doesn't have the type of work ethic you would expect which is very frustrating.
Check out the managers before you commit.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONMarch 1, 2014
Michael's isn't the worst place to work in the world but it was not enjoyable. The managers and supervisors overall were mean and hated to work there. They liked to point out everyone's mistakes which were made public because we all wore ear pieces. On many occasions I would hear a manager or supervisor telling off an employee over the earpiece.

One of the supervisors even got mad if you didn't know how to do something. I just stopped asking for help and made stuff up so I wouldn't have to deal with them anymore.

A supervisor (who was a rare nice one) ended up having a huge health problem and required time off and hospitalization including surgery. When her family asked if her job would be secure when she came back, the manager said that she wasn't guaranteeing anything. I quit before she came back so I'm not sure what happened but it sounded like Michael's wasn't very concerned about her.

You do get a 15% discount but it's pretty useless when you can just use the coupons that regular customers get.

Raises are around 20 cents.
Pros
paid short breaks for four hour shifts.
Cons
management was horrible.
Fun work place
Certified Framer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 25, 2015
Worked as a silver certified framer for two years. learned a lot about archival mounting and framing. I've taken this and applied it to my own practice today.
Good place to work at
Stock (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioJune 24, 2015
Very friendly coworkers, managers were all friendly and on task always. They kept a clean store and always kept things on time. Firm when needed to be and always nice to the employees. I enjoyed working with my coworkers, everyone helped when needed to and manager always handled situations appropriately. I would come into work and unload the morning truck with stock, then begin to stock all my frames in my department. It was easy for me and I worked fast to get the job done. I learned cashier, truck unloading, building grids for the stock, cleaning shelves, overstock work, and working the sales floor. The hardest part of the job was definitely the overstock as we'd have to check every frame on the top shelves with the ladder, it was the most tiring as well.
Pros
Friendly environment.
Cons
not many hours
Replenishment
Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Deerfoot Meadows, Calgary AlbertaJune 12, 2014
Well the job was alright. I mean it is retail. I really liked it at first. The first 3 months everything was almost fun. I worked at the Deerfoot Meadows location. The management was not so great.... They went through three different managers within the 9 months I worked there. The general manager would tell me to do one thing while my replenishment manager would tell me to do another. They time you when you stock. I don't think it is a horrible thing but they don't take into account the time when you walk away from the product to help a customer. So they come back and aren't pleased that your first job wasn't done. Well, they say customers come first... They shouldn't get mad if it isn't done "on time"
I am ok if we are working toward goals but nagging about it doesn't help.
Co-workers are fun.
Pros
occasional free lunch, salary, co-workers
Cons
managment, tiresome
Productive but cold
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Milton,ONJuly 10, 2015
Our day started as 4 in the morning, where we unloaded trucks but I had received no training as to where the boxes went, so I had to follow the others in where the boxes went. From there, we were told to unload the boxes as fast as possible, and we were told not to talk to each other unless we had questions. Even then, it was difficult to find one of the managers to ask said questions and it almost felt like we were expected to do our job and completely ignore customer service, as if our stations were not done in an orderly fashion. There were a few co-workers that were nice but many felt cold and distant.
Cons
Cold enviroment
intresting and most of the time a fun environment to work in
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ONFebruary 25, 2015
as a cashier I have many duties such as handling cash, Customer Service product knowledge, computer system techniques . Etc.
Management most of the time are flexible and able to cooperate with my schedule They can be difficult to work with most of the time and lack communication between employees and management they just have to be approached a certain way.
co workers are amazing to work with, very Friendly and easy going.
The hardest part of the job is knowing product and what each is used for. I am a quick learner so I catch on pretty quickly though.
Most enjoyable part of the job is the interaction with customer's.
Pros
customer interaction
Cons
not enough hours
replenishment crew
Replenishment associate part-time (Current Employee) –  orilliaJune 3, 2015
Everyday is different. Monday I downstock products to their homes.
Tuesday I help unload a truck and work my dept. inventory to its right location. I also set planograms and do labelling if missing.
Our team is very organized and great to work with.
Pros
monday to friday
Cons
no benefits
Fun environment to work in and positive co workers.
Replenishment/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 15, 2015
Fun place to work and enjoy the holidays such as Christmas and Halloween. Relaxing place to work and enjoy hours while working.
Pros
Discounts, friendly co workers, decent break times.
Cons
Minimum wage, starting at 5am.
Absolutely appalling
customer experience (Former Employee) –  prince george, bcApril 7, 2013
Michaels was the absolute worst working experience of my life. The management was horrendous, treating its employees like slaves and actually breaking several labor laws. Employees are expected to do everything for minimum pay and are treated as criminals, forced to wait to leave work despite being off the clock while the managers searched their bags/purses. Hours were poor and the upper management would cut everyone else's hours to maintain their steady pay. Awful policies were in place and you would be punished for not talking to customers even if you had already spoke with them; it only mattered if you did it in front of the manager. There was no incentives and many would freeload off the work of the few like myself who actually tried. Any promotion prospects they tell you about are basically lies. However some of the employees were Ok.
Pros
a few employees were ok
Cons
everything else.
Great Place to Learn
Stock Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, ABDecember 31, 2014
At Michaels, a typical day of work consisted of putting away stock and assisting customers with their various needs. The majority of what I learned was art-related, however, I did learn the importance of standing up for myself and my beliefs. My coworkers tended to keep to themselves and most of them weren't very happy people, and/or were very young. Management had a difficult task of keeping us all organized, and as there were many young people working there, it was made even more difficult. There was also a multitude of people calling in sick daily, and it made our tasks more difficult. The hardest part of the job was making the fixtures, which was tedious and boring. However, the most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers.
Pros
discounts on merchandise
Cons
hours weren't fixed, shortage of staff
Productive and a great first job
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 2, 2015
The company hours very flexible to fit your schedule and are very considerate. An enjoyable job with great coworkers overall a great experience.
Pros
great experience
Work hard play hard
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB, CanadaSeptember 3, 2015
I use to love to work at Michaels, everyday was like Christmas Day for me. I use to love to help customers to find what they were looking for and help them with their projects.
Pros
Deal with art supplies everyday
Cons
Carry heavy weight
I liked the people, but the hours were awful.
Re-stocker and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NSMay 16, 2015
The only problem I had and the main reason I no longer work part time there is because it was required that we be there at 5 am in the morning. Other than that it is a wonderful place to work.
Pros
Nice management.
Cons
Bad hours.
Not a bad place to work.
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BCJune 17, 2015
This job entitles a lot of customer service and specific product knowledge. It can be quite a busy place with lots of questions from customers and you are always on the go. It offers great employee discounts and some training in customer service and product knowledge. The hours for part time associates are very sparse and you only average about 8 - 12 hrs a week.
Pros
customers are great and atmosphere is friendly
Cons
Split days off, can't take all of vacation at a time, lack of staff
Great place to work always something new arriving
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kingston OntarioJune 26, 2012
Lots of customer interaction, learned to deal with many different types of people management was always very reassuring and helpful.
We always had lots of well trained and friendly staff at hand. Since we often had classes and events for the customer this made the job very enjoyable.
The hardest part was if we ran out of something and had to tell some it was available anymore so we could not met their needs.
Pros
lots of staff incentives
Cons
long hours and late night
Company that upholds Customer Service as a Priority
Custom Framing Department Manager (Former Employee) –  St. CatharinesFebruary 29, 2012
The Company was focused on Excellent Customer Service which made it easier to do my job as this is always my main focus. Excellent opportunities within the Company for Advancement along with Training Programs. Excellent Medical/Health Benefits for Full-time Employees. Company supplied wide variety of products to suit most customers needs, good promos and sales on products to make it more affordable.