Michaels Employee Reviews

caotic stressful place to work
FRONT END SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 29, 2016
I was hired to be in charge of the front end of the store along with all the cashiers. I was not trained or given a proper job description of my resonsibilities
Pros
michaels discount
Cons
more management
Great learning and working environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NSJanuary 28, 2016
waiting and assisting customers
what products are good to use for certain projects
I have a lot of knowledgeable co workers
helping the customers locate the product they are looking for and
leaving our store happy and willing to return.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
too few hours avaliable
Worst company ever
Custom Frame Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 22, 2016
By far the worst company I have ever worked for. Fist, they don't tell you you are responsible for more then just custom frames. You get the custom department you have to look after but they also give you the frames off the floor you are responsible for ( they don't tell you that up front ).
Second, after being there as the department manager for almost a year they have still never sent me for training, everything I do I taught myself as they will not spend the money to train people correctly.
Third, when the store is slow and they don't think they will make their day money wise they cancel all floor staff , you can't get your own work done because the customer can not find anyone else on the floor so they come to you. ( I guess to michaels saving $50 on having someone on the floor is better then having happy customers that can find help on the floor).
Fourth, michaels was handed a huge fine last summer for how they did their pricing on custom frames, so instead of just abiding by the law they have come up with a way to skirt around it by using coupons we give you so you never have to pay full price for custom framing.
Fifth, after putting up with everything ( no training, bad hours, no help ect...) for a year that they give you they tell you that you will now be the only manager in the store that gets no weekend off ever , that you can't have 2 days off in a row .
Do yourself a favor and stay as far away from this company as you can! This company has no business ethics at all.
Pros
Get to see some unique and amazing artwork
Cons
Bad management, No training, No ethics, No weekends off
friendly people
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 19, 2016
the work is fun the people are nice the management is very understanding flexible hours for people who go to school easy to learn the ropes may need better communicators
Pros
friendly workers
Cons
no full time
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Working at Michael's taught me how to plan and coordinate events within the store. I learn how to manage my time within a very limited time frame. It was hard work but I felt accomplished at the end of a day's work. I worked at Michael's while attending University and they were excellent about scheduling shifts around classes and very accommodating during exam periods.
Pros
Innovative, creative
Cons
Long hours standing
general retail job
PT Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2016
Staff worked super slow expecting me to take up the slack
Supervisor did not control environment and processes
Asking questions was frowned upon
Good Company
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 9, 2015
Michaels has changed quite a bit since i worked there last the team is all new and there have been significant renovations. However when i was employed i enjoyed my time with the company. The staff was good and there was a great work/life balance.
Fun place to work while surrounded by various hobbies
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 13, 2015
Long hours, but rewarded with satisfaction of being able to assist customers with finding the right tools to complete their projects. Further satisfaction with getting to know both staff and customers. Somewhat more stressful during major holidays, especially Christmas, but rewarding when clients smile after they find what they need. Loved being around crafts, as it is a passion of mine, and never had the same day twice.
Fun work enviroment, educational, excellent customer service/knowledge
Pet Care Assosiate (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, ABOctober 30, 2015
Pet Smart was an excellent company to work for. The training was thorough, managers were patient and very supportive. It was personable and every one got along. We were extremely involved with our customers, providing great information and assistance for their pets. They treated me well as an employee, fair with wages and hours.
Pros
good hours, kind work enviroment, great customer service
Cons
no benifits
Love my Job!
cashier (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AlbertaOctober 28, 2015
I started working at Michaels about a month ago and absolutely love my job. The people are wonderful, management is great and I love dealing with the customers day to day. I do have an interest in crafting so I find it enjoyable to see what comes through my cash each time. I would highly recommend working for Michaels.
Pros
Management, hours, customers
Cons
So far, none to date.
Fun work place
Certified Framer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 25, 2015
Worked as a silver certified framer for two years. learned a lot about archival mounting and framing. I've taken this and applied it to my own practice today.
A good Craft Store
Replenishment, Truck Unload & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCOctober 23, 2015
Michaels is a reasonably good craft store with a serious bent towards attempting to give good customer service. All positions require customer interactions and the pay, while not competitive at starting is good enough when long term is achieved. The company is on the mend with the advancement of some motivated personnel in head office now... much more so than it was in the past. A solid place to sink your time into, especially if you like crafts.
Pros
Craft Store
Cons
Craft Store
Seasonal Part Time Cashier Position
Seasonal Part Time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONOctober 12, 2015
Primarily responsible to processing customer purchases and returns as required. The biggest challenge was processing purchases within a limited time period. Questions and inquiries would need to be identified before the sale is entered into the cash register. Enjoyed meeting the various customers and learning about their various crafting interests.
Pros
Flexible Work schedule, short commute to work
Cons
Seasonal position did not lead to permanent position
Bad Experience
Framing Manager (Current Employee) –  MontrealSeptember 30, 2015
The store is nice I like the items and all. Opens up your mind towards Arts.
But lack in culture
lack in happiness in work environment
Cons
not well taken care of, no value to the company
Fun environment to work in and positive co workers.
Replenishment/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 15, 2015
Fun place to work and enjoy the holidays such as Christmas and Halloween. Relaxing place to work and enjoy hours while working.
Pros
Discounts, friendly co workers, decent break times.
Cons
Minimum wage, starting at 5am.
Work hard play hard
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB, CanadaSeptember 3, 2015
I use to love to work at Michaels, everyday was like Christmas Day for me. I use to love to help customers to find what they were looking for and help them with their projects.
Pros
Deal with art supplies everyday
Cons
Carry heavy weight
Truck team
truck team/ sales associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONSeptember 3, 2015
I loved working here. its a great environment to work in with a fun team and easy hours if you like mornings. supportive management and easy work but can be a workout
Pros
Classes, friendly team
Cons
sometimes its hard to get the hours you want during the low season
Meh
Cashier as well as Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  LondonJuly 30, 2015
Place had a very hectic attitude and was at times very disorganized in what people were supposed to be doing. It felt like management was just making it up as they went along. It was a tough job, but the positive is that you learned past, and there was tons of customer interaction which really helps with your people skills. Co-workers were usually just other students and some older people still looking for work, so it was quite pleasant to work with them.
lots of politics
Part -Time Replenishment Crew (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 25, 2015
it is an okay company to work for but lots of politics....for the work you do the wages are not the greatest. The work is physical and you are expected to get it done in a timely manner. Younger staff doesn't have the type of work ethic you would expect which is very frustrating.
NIce Store
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sherbrooke, QCJuly 22, 2015
I learned the process of opening up a brand new store from scratch, they were very organized and was a great experience. THe only problem was the hours, there was not enough hours.

2.9