Michaels Employee Reviews in Canada

Love my Job!
cashier (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AlbertaOctober 28, 2015
I started working at Michaels about a month ago and absolutely love my job. The people are wonderful, management is great and I love dealing with the customers day to day. I do have an interest in crafting so I find it enjoyable to see what comes through my cash each time. I would highly recommend working for Michaels.
Pros
Management, hours, customers
Cons
So far, none to date.
Check out the managers before you commit.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONMarch 1, 2014
Michael's isn't the worst place to work in the world but it was not enjoyable. The managers and supervisors overall were mean and hated to work there. They liked to point out everyone's mistakes which were made public because we all wore ear pieces. On many occasions I would hear a manager or supervisor telling off an employee over the earpiece.

One of the supervisors even got mad if you didn't know how to do something. I just stopped asking for help and made stuff up so I wouldn't have to deal with them anymore.

A supervisor (who was a rare nice one) ended up having a huge health problem and required time off and hospitalization including surgery. When her family asked if her job would be secure when she came back, the manager said that she wasn't guaranteeing anything. I quit before she came back so I'm not sure what happened but it sounded like Michael's wasn't very concerned about her.

You do get a 15% discount but it's pretty useless when you can just use the coupons that regular customers get.

Raises are around 20 cents.
Pros
paid short breaks for four hour shifts.
Cons
management was horrible.
Seasonal Part Time Cashier Position
Seasonal Part Time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONOctober 12, 2015
Primarily responsible to processing customer purchases and returns as required. The biggest challenge was processing purchases within a limited time period. Questions and inquiries would need to be identified before the sale is entered into the cash register. Enjoyed meeting the various customers and learning about their various crafting interests.
Pros
Flexible Work schedule, short commute to work
Cons
Seasonal position did not lead to permanent position
Fun environment to work in
Customer Service, Cashier, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 4, 2015
A typical day involves running the cash register, tidying up the store and putting away items, and assisting customers with their crafting needs. My co-workers are amazing and we are always having fun together. We are always bouncing ideas off each other if we are having trouble with a customers craft. I've learned to handle money, how to run a register, restocking shelves, team work and improving communication. The management are friendly and nice but they don't seem to communicate with each other very well leading to misunderstandings. They do their best to help us out. The hardest part is no clear definition of a job description or training in specific departments.
Part-time seasonal employee
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Stittsville, ONJuly 3, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of loading U-boat trolleys in the stockroom moving them to the floor and then restocking the shelves.
After shelves were mainly restocked, employees who were "free" collected garbage or assisted other employees in restocking as necessary. Upon opening of the store employees carried on their duties in addition to greeting and assisting customers as required.
After a task was completed an employee would usually differ to the on duty manager for direction. One of the most valuable things I learned was the proper application of teamwork in a professional environment. Shift management was effective and conducive to a smooth working environment. Co-workers were pleasant and accommodating, always ready to help and assist their fellow employees. The hardest part of the job was the early hours, and the most enjoyable part of my job was helping the customers.
general retail job
PT Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2016
Staff worked super slow expecting me to take up the slack
Supervisor did not control environment and processes
Asking questions was frowned upon
Company that upholds Customer Service as a Priority
Custom Framing Department Manager (Former Employee) –  St. CatharinesFebruary 29, 2012
The Company was focused on Excellent Customer Service which made it easier to do my job as this is always my main focus. Excellent opportunities within the Company for Advancement along with Training Programs. Excellent Medical/Health Benefits for Full-time Employees. Company supplied wide variety of products to suit most customers needs, good promos and sales on products to make it more affordable.
Always busy environment with lots of tasks
Sales Associate, Fine Arts Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONJune 18, 2015
A typical day at Michaels' Arts and Crafts is usually a busy one. There is always something to do. When you're on the floor you'll either be helping with classes, down-stocking products, putting away returns, and ALWAYS helping and greeting customers. I learned how to always be on my feet and organize my tasks accordingly to save as much time as possible. I also gained communication skills by learning along the way how to talk with customers and deal with any situations in a professional manner. Management and my co-workers are very nice and flexible, with helpful co-workers who are willing to take or trade shifts with you and help out. The hardest part of this job is when it gets too busy for the amount of staff available, and sometimes it can become overwhelming. But the most enjoyable part is not always doing one thing, and giving your opinion for a customer's craft or project.
Pros
Frequent breaks
Cons
Not enough hours
Management Needs Improvement
Sales representative (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ONJuly 21, 2015
While working here, I was extremely disappointed with the lack of respect for all of the employees by management. It was not a positive working environment. The store manager, was always yelling at someone. Never calm. I have health issues, and I would get in trouble for being ill. I quit this job because of health issues and the lack of respect of my condition. I would only recommend this job to someone with perfect health, and who can deal with non stop disrespect.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
poor management
Meh
Cashier as well as Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  LondonJuly 30, 2015
Place had a very hectic attitude and was at times very disorganized in what people were supposed to be doing. It felt like management was just making it up as they went along. It was a tough job, but the positive is that you learned past, and there was tons of customer interaction which really helps with your people skills. Co-workers were usually just other students and some older people still looking for work, so it was quite pleasant to work with them.
Best People. Fun job. Always work to do
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONJune 19, 2015
Michaels North Bay is the best place i have ever worked. Management is amazing. They care about their employees as people not as just "workers" I have learned so much about things one might not expect and there is always opportunity to learn more. The hardest part of the job is getting enough hours, however, if you do your job well and show up on time they will always try to give you more hours when they are available. I enjoy every part of this job.
Everyone makes it a fun environment while still getting work done. Balanced.
Pros
Happy work environment
Cons
I want to buy everything but can't.
Truck team
truck team/ sales associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONSeptember 3, 2015
I loved working here. its a great environment to work in with a fun team and easy hours if you like mornings. supportive management and easy work but can be a workout
Pros
Classes, friendly team
Cons
sometimes its hard to get the hours you want during the low season
Fun environment to work in and positive co workers.
Replenishment/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 15, 2015
Fun place to work and enjoy the holidays such as Christmas and Halloween. Relaxing place to work and enjoy hours while working.
Pros
Discounts, friendly co workers, decent break times.
Cons
Minimum wage, starting at 5am.
Good place to work at
Stock (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioJune 24, 2015
Very friendly coworkers, managers were all friendly and on task always. They kept a clean store and always kept things on time. Firm when needed to be and always nice to the employees. I enjoyed working with my coworkers, everyone helped when needed to and manager always handled situations appropriately. I would come into work and unload the morning truck with stock, then begin to stock all my frames in my department. It was easy for me and I worked fast to get the job done. I learned cashier, truck unloading, building grids for the stock, cleaning shelves, overstock work, and working the sales floor. The hardest part of the job was definitely the overstock as we'd have to check every frame on the top shelves with the ladder, it was the most tiring as well.
Pros
Friendly environment.
Cons
not many hours
Bad Experience
Framing Manager (Current Employee) –  MontrealSeptember 30, 2015
The store is nice I like the items and all. Opens up your mind towards Arts.
But lack in culture
lack in happiness in work environment
Cons
not well taken care of, no value to the company
Fun work place
Certified Framer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 25, 2015
Worked as a silver certified framer for two years. learned a lot about archival mounting and framing. I've taken this and applied it to my own practice today.
Productive but cold
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Milton,ONJuly 10, 2015
Our day started as 4 in the morning, where we unloaded trucks but I had received no training as to where the boxes went, so I had to follow the others in where the boxes went. From there, we were told to unload the boxes as fast as possible, and we were told not to talk to each other unless we had questions. Even then, it was difficult to find one of the managers to ask said questions and it almost felt like we were expected to do our job and completely ignore customer service, as if our stations were not done in an orderly fashion. There were a few co-workers that were nice but many felt cold and distant.
Cons
Cold enviroment
Fun retail environment with great clientiel
Retail supervisor manager (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BCFebruary 11, 2014
Michael s is a leading arts and craft store. I spent six years working for them and learnt alot . I began my career at Michael s as a department manager, not only did I run my own department and staff but I was able to go to other store and set up for openings and train new staff. I then became operations manager, here I ran the business end of the store budgets P.N.L.'s schedules and inventories. I worked opposite shifts of the store manager and ran the store in her absence. To learn the overall feel of running a store I then became replenishment manager as well as still running the store in absence of store manager I also ran the receiving end, unloading of trucks ordering setting of planograms building fixtures and running a crew of 5-10 people. While doing all of this I also had the pleasure of working with a great staff and customers, helping customers choose items needed for a specific project learning about what craft or skill they have and where they want to go with it. I met many great people and took with me a lot of wonderful memories. There was no hard part of my job maybe the occasional difficult customer which will happen in any retail environment but i was always able to learn and adapt to any new situation.
Pros
good benefits, great people and great new products. a good staff discount always helped too
Cons
early start shift was hard at times as i lived 30 minutes away
lots of politics
Part -Time Replenishment Crew (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 25, 2015
it is an okay company to work for but lots of politics....for the work you do the wages are not the greatest. The work is physical and you are expected to get it done in a timely manner. Younger staff doesn't have the type of work ethic you would expect which is very frustrating.
Work hard play hard
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB, CanadaSeptember 3, 2015
I use to love to work at Michaels, everyday was like Christmas Day for me. I use to love to help customers to find what they were looking for and help them with their projects.
Pros
Deal with art supplies everyday
Cons
Carry heavy weight