Michaels Employee Reviews

A very rewarding job
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 September 2016
Michaels, overall was a very fun place to work. The team I was able to work with always made me feel very comfortable and at home. The managers were very fare about scheduling and had a great attitude. The hardest part about my job was having to handle upset costumers. However, the staff was always able to put a smile back on my face when I had had a bad day. I really enjoyed working for this company. It is a great place to work if you are just trying to save up some extra money.
Fun Place to work
Sales AssociateCashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 September 2016
Avery fun place to work. An excellent management team and staff. A wide verity of thing to learn, to be able to serve the customer better, and all of it free.
Seasonal Part Time Job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 February 2017
Interesting place to work. I was Seasonal Help. The customers were usually very pleasant and the General Manager was extremely supportive.
Pros
Enjoyable customers craft oriented
Cons
Seasonal only for 4 months
Always on the go
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
There is never a dull moment in a store like Michaels. Whether it be that the store is out of stock on a particular item or that a customers coupon is not scanning there is always something to be done to make a customers experience perfect!
Pros
employee discount is imediately affective
Cons
the program used for checking schedules
Productive but bad shifts management
Sales Associate/Cashier/Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 February 2016
Great place to work, friendly and helpful people, but very random and few shifts given, training provided is minimal. Management is very caring and supportive. They teach you the basics of Cash and framing but a lot of it is learn on your own. Customers are enjoyable for the most part. Breaks are short. Hardest part of the job would be the lack of staff during busy holidays schedules, Enjoyable part would be the friendly environment.
Pros
Easy going, very little stress
Cons
short irregular weekly shifts, few benefits
Could Improve
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON23 March 2017
Their was way to many coupons that were difficult for both the customer and the workers to understand. As well their was not enough training for the staff to be able to understand how the store works in its entirety.
Practical, hands - on workplace with a productive envoirnment
Mechandiser / Set-Up Crew (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 June 2016
On a typical day at work, me and my co - workers strive to achieve the day's objective. I enjoyed the creative and productive environment. But the management was new and was not able to co assist with the team due to inexperience in the workplace. Yet my favourite part was doing interior designing in the store.
Pros
Store Display, and a creative envoirnment
Cons
New Management -
Demonstrated effective time management
Certified Custom framer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 November 2016
Successfully created and built layouts for client’s art pieces using companies visual framing components in conjunction with visual Photoshop computer program designed to mimic the finished project of their art piece(s)
Pros
Art classes available
Cons
Hours not steady
Filled with crafty, creative people
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON12 February 2017
Michaels was a great place to work. The employees are some of the most creative and inspired people all of whom started out as customers.
Fun, fast paced
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON16 February 2017
It's a good company to work for, but you need to be a strong worker. I think a lot of people expect it to be super easy because of the type of store but their is a lot of work that goes into that store.
Management doesnt know what they're doing
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 November 2016
I liked my actual job, but the assistant manager was like a squirrel, and could not give clear instruction. She was mean to employees. You'd start something you were told to do and be pulled off. Then she'd wonder why you weren't finished.
Pros
The customers were usually in a good mood
Cons
Not many hours
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Moncton Area, NB16 February 2017
Great place to work if your looking for part time, great people, works great with your schedule, but it wasn't the best place for me has there is no where place to grow
Wish I never worked there!
Sales Floor Associate and Custom Framer (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON26 June 2016
Having a Bachelors degree in Fine Arts I thought Michaels would be a great and fun place to work. I have worked for other retail chains in the past with around fifteen years in retail. My husband had the chance for a military posting out of area, so I left my job of nine years.
After a year of looking I finally found a job at Michaels. Great with my creative background this should be fun! It started out o.k. Until a new store manager arrived. I made it known from the beginning with both the new and old manager that I was was on a Military posting and in time will be moving back. They were both understanding, at least I thought!

It came time for my return home, instead of two weeks notice I gave two months! The next day my hours dropped to 26 a week to 18. By the time I got to my last two weeks of work my hours dropped to 3 hours a week. When I asked my manager about my hours, I was told it was because I was moving. And he wouldn't waste giving me hours. This was said in front of other employees and management. I took the matter to head office and still nothing! It has been a year now!

I am a military wife, mother and an artist and I no longer even shop there! I will never work for a company that treats their employees this way.
Pros
30% discount, easy to get extra hours
Cons
Bad scheduling, no weekends off
Job satisfaction working with customers for project completion
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC21 July 2016
We would start with communication with store manager or assistant store manager for directives for the day. Usually restocking of shelves upon receipt of merchandise. Customer service priorities.
I learned a lot about the retail environment from budgeting to scheduling and also the inventory replenishment. Friday would be add set change over which was very fun to do. A daily function was to greet and offer customer service to clients. I found that very rewarding as they would usually come back and show me pictures or tell me of their experiences.
Hardest part of the job was the weekly changing of our schedules , example never knowing when you work.
It was a great team and enjoyed working together.
Pros
Up to date product knowledge, learning new crafts
Cons
Shift work
organized and positive environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 February 2017
i was continuously surprised by the amount of positivity within employee relationships and customers who came into the store. It was truly a place that never felt like "work" to me.
too many changes
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON23 December 2016
schedule changes too often can never plan anything. Planning is terrible always move things in store from week to week. Difficult to be productive too many people telling you what to do
Great place to work.
Replenish Associate (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB20 January 2017
I really enjoyed my time there but the pay was okay. The managers where great and the environment was fun. only down side was I worked replenish and its a morning shift from 3-11 for minimum wage.
Great leads and architects
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Irving9 January 2017
Learnt a lot. Excellent team. Many projects and lot of scope for learning. Leads encourage when you propose new solutions. Great location and they try to use the latest versions of the software.
Taught me a lot with working retail.
STORE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB21 November 2016
As a high school student with a job at Michaels' part time, I honestly believe that the entire experience of the Michaels job was amazing. Usually, I was working the floor as a sales associate, although I was cross trained to literally every position available, aside from support specialist.

Replenishment is a fast-past job with always something to do; whether it was stocking shelves, building "drive aisles" (portable aisles), or unloading the trucks that came in, it was always very fast paced.

Cashiering is also a fast paced job, but has a lot of down time during the evenings in non-season (pretty much from February through mid September).

Sales Associates/ Customer Experience Associates are a sometimes hectic job, but there is always something to do on the floor. Downstocking, recovery, and serving as a backup cashier are all daily activities done by the sales team.

Classroom associates are obviously trained and taught how to do their respective classes. The "leaders guides" are very hard to follow, so many instructors just do their own thing. A colored printed version of the leaders guide would help this tremendously.

At the store I worked at, I believe that during seasonal (early November- January) we were understaffed. Sundays were the worst as the lineups would be 20 customers long with a whopping 2 cashiers and a manager working the registers. No possibility of getting extra associates in without district or zone management approval.

Communication among co-workers is great. Everybody knows everybody by name, and there is no "bad blood" within the
  more... team.  less
Pros
15 Minute paid breaks, Every associate has an RF gun which is useful for seeing if we have any items in stock or on order, every associate has a portable radio which is amazing for asking questions
Cons
Very un-organized and inconsistent schedule, lack of communication with district and zone management, under-staffing, maintenance issues take forever to be resolved, associates need managers key to open lock-ups.
Positive Team
Framing Manager (Current Employee) –  New Minas, NS6 February 2017
Positive team mates who are so creative, building frames and allow clients to build a custom design for me to preserve their most cherished pictures and artifacts.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9