Michaels

Michaels Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fast pace work environment during busy season.
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Boise IdahoFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: fun, fast pace, customers
Cons: hours, pay and healthcare
I have worked for Michaels since 2007, starting out seasonal and kept on the team. I was made full time in about 2 months, but this was back when corporate hadn't cut a bunch of positions. I loved working at the Spokane store. Best managers ever and best co workers. Retail just really grows on you. When I moved to Boise I only had a part time position – more... and I just don't make enough there. The company changes so much its hard to keep up. Different vice presidents and CEO's like every year and a half it seems like. But all in all this is a good place for a stepping stone job. I have been there too long to still love it. Unless I was making more money then I wouldn't be thinking about leaving but in Idaho, retail doesn't quite pay enough unless you are full time. – less
productive and entertaining. getting along with customers and co-workers.
experience sales associate (Current Employee), Berkeley, CAFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: employment discount
Cons: dental insurance
greeting everyone as soon I come in to work. learning about customers and what they do. my managers will updates us with new information, and always getting along with my co-workers. I normally don't have a hard of the day, maybe when it come to "returns" but other then that I'm fine.
Certified Framer (Current Employee), Dunwoody, GAFebruary 13, 2014
The only down side to working here is your hours get cut. Best store manager I have ever had
busy on the weekends
Sale associate, and stocking (Former Employee), Gainesville, FLFebruary 12, 2014
Pros: working with great people
Cons: no breaks
during the days a typical day work os slow, specially at night. On the weekends it get busy, like school come and get art supplices.
good young person or retiree job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Mesa, AZFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: good to start a job at
Cons: lack of hours and advancement
good job for a young person whose new to working or a retiree who just wants to not be bored
Fun place to work
Bookkeeper / Support Specialist (Current Employee), Duluth, MNFebruary 7, 2014
Michaels is a very energetic fun place to be. My morning is spent at a desk and the rest of the day I'm on the move.
work
Cashier (Former Employee), Newark, DEFebruary 6, 2014
The best thing about working at a art place is helping customers with their children projects.
Cool for a part-time job
Certified Framer (Former Employee), Madison Heights, MIFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: positive work environment
Cons: typical retail pay
Overall it was a good place to pickup extra cash, meet people, interact with the public and help people with their purchases. The wages were typical of retail jobs, the discount was nice and I had fun working there.
Productive and calm workplace
Custom Framer (Current Employee), Fenton, MOFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: fun workplace, busy, good management.
Cons: raises, hours.
My experience working at Michaels is a good one. We stay busy and have fun doing what we do, but the ability to make any sort of living working at Michaels is hard unless you are in upper management.
Easy work to do, but less than freindly staff
Replenishment associate (Former Employee), Saint Augustine, FLFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: easy work
Cons: unpleasant management and coworkers for stock team.
I worked there seasonally for a couple of months as a stock associate. Workers in my team seemed generally unhappy at all times, and it reflected on work morale and experience. The work, however, was easy and relaxing.
Excellent place to work
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee), Deerfield Beach, FLFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: great clients
Cons: small company
Exciting job with endless possibilities. Lot's of interesting people come into our store. I have learned so much about different crafts.
very friendly oriented, fun place to work
sales associate (Former Employee), Knightdale NCFebruary 4, 2014
Pros: friendly environment, fun, active
Cons: short breaks, no vacation time, little pay
Go to work with a great attitude. Made sure customers were happy and satisfied with their visits. Made sure there was enough product on the floor and if not to stock the products. Unload truck when it arrived. Made sure the job was done right when work was over. What I learned was to keep personal issues out of the work force. Give little detail to – more... your personal issues to co-workers. You don't have to be friends with everyone in the workforce but to be there to listen to anything and stay focused on the job. My managers have always been happy with my work which caused me to get more work and more of a challenge that I was pleased to have. My co-workers always loved being around me even if I was having an off day, they would always try to help me out to the best of their ability. The hardest part of my job was trying to fill my position when I was sick or not able to work that day. The most enjoyable part was working to accomplish getting a little bit of acknowledgement. – less
Very Fun and exciting workplace great employees as well.
Team Member (Former Employee), Rancho Cucamonga, CAJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: very fun workplace
Cons: nothing
It is an arts and crafts store, so I helping in making crafts for the kids as well as putting together arragements for flowers and such things as that. I learned a lot about Micahel's. I much people work and I how much fun they have at work.
Work place was hectic and no room to grow
Sales associate (Former Employee), New York, New YorkJanuary 24, 2014
Pros: it was a job
Cons: short breaks, store manger, veteran employees
Very little room to grow.. Management was great. Store manger was emotionless and never knew what was going on. Employes were sometimes lazy, not a great work balance.
Productive and easygoing coworkers
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee), Humble, TXJanuary 24, 2014
The work is straightforward. Management is easy to work with and is understanding with customers and employees.
The Job Was a Challenge
Certified Framer (Former Employee), Falls Church, VAJanuary 23, 2014
Setting up the different station of the store,
Learn how to run and operate the store machines
management was ok
my co-worker was nice
nothing
Getting the frame done on time.
Exciting and educating experience
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee), Hemet, CAJanuary 22, 2014
Pros: fifteen minute breaks are respected and mandatory.
Cons: as the only employee you are held responsible for many things.
Michael's stores, depending on their traffic, are small in comparison to most other Hobby Stores or your average Walmart/Target. As a result employees are kept to a minimum and space is used wisely. At Michael's I was often the only employee on the floor and if another was present they took care of one half of the store while I took care of the other. – more... At Michaels you learn many things from placing custom special orders for customers to assembling or taking down display pieces. At Michael's every day was a learning experience as the customer educated you more than you could possibly educate them. Everyone has a different craft the specialize in and for an employee to be an expert in all of them is just not possible and I feel like the customers understood that. My time at Michael's was only seasonal however I feel like I learned a lot in my time there. Simply learning from other customers and even fellow employees was enjoyable. – less
loved it
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee), n/aJanuary 22, 2014
i really loved working here but there was no chance of advancement. i was there for 3 years and stayed a cashier whereas other people who had barely been there a year ended up in higher positions that i'd also put in for.
easy going work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Moreno Valley, CAJanuary 20, 2014
I learned a lot about customer service in this position. At times fast paced and stressful but for the most part this position was about catering to what your customer needed and making sure each person left with a smile.
A Risk Worth Taking!
IT BUSINESS ANALYST (Former Employee), Irving, TXJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: awesome product
Cons: lacks of several sorts.
This was one of those risks that you have to take in life. We (managemet and I) had agreed on a one month contract because it was a new concept. Since no one really knew for sure whether it would last or not, it was an adventure worth trying. The hardest part of the job was been introduced as a new role in a new department with a new project. Because – more... everything was new, there was a lot of people to open up to and break the ice.

I enjoyed the product very much, it was a fun and amazing tool to use and share with family and friends. I really enjoyed working with the business clients and most team members. I liked the company culture although I didn't get to experience. Although it was not profitable enough to hold our team together. If it would have been, we would have an indestructible team. – less

About Michaels

Michaels Stores is crafty. The nation's #1 arts and crafts retailer owns and operates¬†about 1,075 Michaels Stores across the US – Read more