Michaels Employee Reviews

Fun, fast paced
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON16 February 2017
It's a good company to work for, but you need to be a strong worker. I think a lot of people expect it to be super easy because of the type of store but their is a lot of work that goes into that store.
Great place to work.
Replenish Associate (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB20 January 2017
I really enjoyed my time there but the pay was okay. The managers where great and the environment was fun. only down side was I worked replenish and its a morning shift from 3-11 for minimum wage.
Great leads and architects
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Irving9 January 2017
Learnt a lot. Excellent team. Many projects and lot of scope for learning. Leads encourage when you propose new solutions. Great location and they try to use the latest versions of the software.
Filled with crafty, creative people
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON12 February 2017
Michaels was a great place to work. The employees are some of the most creative and inspired people all of whom started out as customers.
Fun, Exciting, Challenging, Friendly
Certified Custom Framer - Silver certification (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON16 June 2016
As a certified framer everyday was different. Our customers would supply us with a variety of different types of art to frame which made it both exciting and challenging. My co-workers are amazing we are all like a big family which is nice to see in such a big cooperation. I would say that the hardest part of my job is when pieces of art are for memorials of family members of all ages. The most enjoyable part is seeing the final outcome regardless of the situation. I have learned so many different things the most important is listening to the customer and learning how to read in between the lines as far as what the customer is wanting there piece to look like along with making it fit in there home and or someone's décor.
Cons
Hours are not stabalized
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Moncton Area, NB16 February 2017
Great place to work if your looking for part time, great people, works great with your schedule, but it wasn't the best place for me has there is no where place to grow
Fun work enviroment, educational, excellent customer service/knowledge
Pet Care Assosiate (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB30 October 2015
Pet Smart was an excellent company to work for. The training was thorough, managers were patient and very supportive. It was personable and every one got along. We were extremely involved with our customers, providing great information and assistance for their pets. They treated me well as an employee, fair with wages and hours.
Pros
good hours, kind work enviroment, great customer service
Cons
no benifits
Typical Retail
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON18 January 2017
If you are interested in crafting/scrapbooking/knitting/decorating or just being creative, working here is a great way to learn new tricks and get an awesome discount
Positive Team
Framing Manager (Current Employee) –  New Minas, NS6 February 2017
Positive team mates who are so creative, building frames and allow clients to build a custom design for me to preserve their most cherished pictures and artifacts.
It is fun working place.
Sales Associate Representative (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 November 2016
Managment is excellent and very cooprative and helpful.Co-workers are good. Everyday there is new to learn. Most enjoyable part is when i have teach crafts to kids.
well run store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS6 January 2017
the stores managers were very nice. the other workers were easy to get along with, giving a friendly welcoming workplace. store is always neeat and tidy
Fun Place to work
Sales AssociateCashier (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 September 2016
Avery fun place to work. An excellent management team and staff. A wide verity of thing to learn, to be able to serve the customer better, and all of it free.
Customer Service Represenative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton Alberta Canada25 November 2016
Fun, family friendly place to work. I found this job to be perfect employment for myself. Shifts & hours for work were the perfect fit for my schedule
horrible
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON11 October 2016
Id always try my best to have fun and make my work fun and enjoyable but anything i didnt differently i would get critisized for it, the managers are rude and i would not suggest getting a job atthe michaels in orangeville
Practical, hands - on workplace with a productive envoirnment
Mechandiser / Set-Up Crew (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 June 2016
On a typical day at work, me and my co - workers strive to achieve the day's objective. I enjoyed the creative and productive environment. But the management was new and was not able to co assist with the team due to inexperience in the workplace. Yet my favourite part was doing interior designing in the store.
Pros
Store Display, and a creative envoirnment
Cons
New Management -
Wish I never worked there!
Sales Floor Associate and Custom Framer (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON26 June 2016
Having a Bachelors degree in Fine Arts I thought Michaels would be a great and fun place to work. I have worked for other retail chains in the past with around fifteen years in retail. My husband had the chance for a military posting out of area, so I left my job of nine years.
After a year of looking I finally found a job at Michaels. Great with my creative background this should be fun! It started out o.k. Until a new store manager arrived. I made it known from the beginning with both the new and old manager that I was was on a Military posting and in time will be moving back. They were both understanding, at least I thought!

It came time for my return home, instead of two weeks notice I gave two months! The next day my hours dropped to 26 a week to 18. By the time I got to my last two weeks of work my hours dropped to 3 hours a week. When I asked my manager about my hours, I was told it was because I was moving. And he wouldn't waste giving me hours. This was said in front of other employees and management. I took the matter to head office and still nothing! It has been a year now!

I am a military wife, mother and an artist and I no longer even shop there! I will never work for a company that treats their employees this way.
Pros
30% discount, easy to get extra hours
Cons
Bad scheduling, no weekends off
Replenishment
Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Deerfoot Meadows, Calgary Alberta12 June 2014
Well the job was alright. I mean it is retail. I really liked it at first. The first 3 months everything was almost fun. I worked at the Deerfoot Meadows location. The management was not so great.... They went through three different managers within the 9 months I worked there. The general manager would tell me to do one thing while my replenishment manager would tell me to do another. They time you when you stock. I don't think it is a horrible thing but they don't take into account the time when you walk away from the product to help a customer. So they come back and aren't pleased that your first job wasn't done. Well, they say customers come first... They shouldn't get mad if it isn't done "on time"
I am ok if we are working toward goals but nagging about it doesn't help.
Co-workers are fun.
Pros
Occasional free lunch, salary, co-workers
Cons
Managment, tiresome
terrible management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS3 November 2016
Store manager was anything but professional and felt the need to lie about the hiring process and treated people as if they were stupid.
Loved it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON8 June 2016
I loved working here. Very fun place to work at. An excellent choice for people who are looking for their first retail/cashier job and don't know where to start.
Pros
Good management, fun and creative environment, strong team culture, some room for growth
Cons
Low pay
Taught me a lot with working retail.
STORE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB21 November 2016
As a high school student with a job at Michaels' part time, I honestly believe that the entire experience of the Michaels job was amazing. Usually, I was working the floor as a sales associate, although I was cross trained to literally every position available, aside from support specialist.

Replenishment is a fast-past job with always something to do; whether it was stocking shelves, building "drive aisles" (portable aisles), or unloading the trucks that came in, it was always very fast paced.

Cashiering is also a fast paced job, but has a lot of down time during the evenings in non-season (pretty much from February through mid September).

Sales Associates/ Customer Experience Associates are a sometimes hectic job, but there is always something to do on the floor. Downstocking, recovery, and serving as a backup cashier are all daily activities done by the sales team.

Classroom associates are obviously trained and taught how to do their respective classes. The "leaders guides" are very hard to follow, so many instructors just do their own thing. A colored printed version of the leaders guide would help this tremendously.

At the store I worked at, I believe that during seasonal (early November- January) we were understaffed. Sundays were the worst as the lineups would be 20 customers long with a whopping 2 cashiers and a manager working the registers. No possibility of getting extra associates in without district or zone management approval.

Communication among co-workers is great. Everybody knows everybody by name, and there is no "bad blood" within the
  more... team.  less
Pros
15 Minute paid breaks, Every associate has an RF gun which is useful for seeing if we have any items in stock or on order, every associate has a portable radio which is amazing for asking questions
Cons
Very un-organized and inconsistent schedule, lack of communication with district and zone management, under-staffing, maintenance issues take forever to be resolved, associates need managers key to open lock-ups.

2.9