Michaels Employee Reviews in Canada

Good Company
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 9, 2015
Michaels has changed quite a bit since i worked there last the team is all new and there have been significant renovations. However when i was employed i enjoyed my time with the company. The staff was good and there was a great work/life balance.
Fun place to work while surrounded by various hobbies
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 13, 2015
Long hours, but rewarded with satisfaction of being able to assist customers with finding the right tools to complete their projects. Further satisfaction with getting to know both staff and customers. Somewhat more stressful during major holidays, especially Christmas, but rewarding when clients smile after they find what they need. Loved being around crafts, as it is a passion of mine, and never had the same day twice.
Fun work enviroment, educational, excellent customer service/knowledge
Pet Care Assosiate (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, ABOctober 30, 2015
Pet Smart was an excellent company to work for. The training was thorough, managers were patient and very supportive. It was personable and every one got along. We were extremely involved with our customers, providing great information and assistance for their pets. They treated me well as an employee, fair with wages and hours.
Pros
good hours, kind work enviroment, great customer service
Cons
no benifits
Love my Job!
cashier (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AlbertaOctober 28, 2015
I started working at Michaels about a month ago and absolutely love my job. The people are wonderful, management is great and I love dealing with the customers day to day. I do have an interest in crafting so I find it enjoyable to see what comes through my cash each time. I would highly recommend working for Michaels.
Pros
Management, hours, customers
Cons
So far, none to date.
Fun work place
Certified Framer (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONOctober 25, 2015
Worked as a silver certified framer for two years. learned a lot about archival mounting and framing. I've taken this and applied it to my own practice today.
A good Craft Store
Replenishment, Truck Unload & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCOctober 23, 2015
Michaels is a reasonably good craft store with a serious bent towards attempting to give good customer service. All positions require customer interactions and the pay, while not competitive at starting is good enough when long term is achieved. The company is on the mend with the advancement of some motivated personnel in head office now... much more so than it was in the past. A solid place to sink your time into, especially if you like crafts.
Pros
Craft Store
Cons
Craft Store
Seasonal Part Time Cashier Position
Seasonal Part Time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONOctober 12, 2015
Primarily responsible to processing customer purchases and returns as required. The biggest challenge was processing purchases within a limited time period. Questions and inquiries would need to be identified before the sale is entered into the cash register. Enjoyed meeting the various customers and learning about their various crafting interests.
Pros
Flexible Work schedule, short commute to work
Cons
Seasonal position did not lead to permanent position
Bad Experience
Framing Manager (Current Employee) –  MontrealSeptember 30, 2015
The store is nice I like the items and all. Opens up your mind towards Arts.
But lack in culture
lack in happiness in work environment
Cons
not well taken care of, no value to the company
Fun environment to work in and positive co workers.
Replenishment/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ONSeptember 15, 2015
Fun place to work and enjoy the holidays such as Christmas and Halloween. Relaxing place to work and enjoy hours while working.
Pros
Discounts, friendly co workers, decent break times.
Cons
Minimum wage, starting at 5am.
Work hard play hard
Part-time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB, CanadaSeptember 3, 2015
I use to love to work at Michaels, everyday was like Christmas Day for me. I use to love to help customers to find what they were looking for and help them with their projects.
Pros
Deal with art supplies everyday
Cons
Carry heavy weight
Truck team
truck team/ sales associate (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ONSeptember 3, 2015
I loved working here. its a great environment to work in with a fun team and easy hours if you like mornings. supportive management and easy work but can be a workout
Pros
Classes, friendly team
Cons
sometimes its hard to get the hours you want during the low season
Meh
Cashier as well as Floor Staff (Former Employee) –  LondonJuly 30, 2015
Place had a very hectic attitude and was at times very disorganized in what people were supposed to be doing. It felt like management was just making it up as they went along. It was a tough job, but the positive is that you learned past, and there was tons of customer interaction which really helps with your people skills. Co-workers were usually just other students and some older people still looking for work, so it was quite pleasant to work with them.
lots of politics
Part -Time Replenishment Crew (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJuly 25, 2015
it is an okay company to work for but lots of politics....for the work you do the wages are not the greatest. The work is physical and you are expected to get it done in a timely manner. Younger staff doesn't have the type of work ethic you would expect which is very frustrating.
NIce Store
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sherbrooke, QCJuly 22, 2015
I learned the process of opening up a brand new store from scratch, they were very organized and was a great experience. THe only problem was the hours, there was not enough hours.
Management Needs Improvement
Sales representative (Former Employee) –  Orleans, ONJuly 21, 2015
While working here, I was extremely disappointed with the lack of respect for all of the employees by management. It was not a positive working environment. The store manager, was always yelling at someone. Never calm. I have health issues, and I would get in trouble for being ill. I quit this job because of health issues and the lack of respect of my condition. I would only recommend this job to someone with perfect health, and who can deal with non stop disrespect.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
poor management
Productive but cold
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Milton,ONJuly 10, 2015
Our day started as 4 in the morning, where we unloaded trucks but I had received no training as to where the boxes went, so I had to follow the others in where the boxes went. From there, we were told to unload the boxes as fast as possible, and we were told not to talk to each other unless we had questions. Even then, it was difficult to find one of the managers to ask said questions and it almost felt like we were expected to do our job and completely ignore customer service, as if our stations were not done in an orderly fashion. There were a few co-workers that were nice but many felt cold and distant.
Cons
Cold enviroment
Fun environment to work in
Customer Service, Cashier, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 4, 2015
A typical day involves running the cash register, tidying up the store and putting away items, and assisting customers with their crafting needs. My co-workers are amazing and we are always having fun together. We are always bouncing ideas off each other if we are having trouble with a customers craft. I've learned to handle money, how to run a register, restocking shelves, team work and improving communication. The management are friendly and nice but they don't seem to communicate with each other very well leading to misunderstandings. They do their best to help us out. The hardest part is no clear definition of a job description or training in specific departments.
Part-time seasonal employee
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Stittsville, ONJuly 3, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of loading U-boat trolleys in the stockroom moving them to the floor and then restocking the shelves.
After shelves were mainly restocked, employees who were "free" collected garbage or assisted other employees in restocking as necessary. Upon opening of the store employees carried on their duties in addition to greeting and assisting customers as required.
After a task was completed an employee would usually differ to the on duty manager for direction. One of the most valuable things I learned was the proper application of teamwork in a professional environment. Shift management was effective and conducive to a smooth working environment. Co-workers were pleasant and accommodating, always ready to help and assist their fellow employees. The hardest part of the job was the early hours, and the most enjoyable part of my job was helping the customers.
Good place to work at
Stock (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, OntarioJune 24, 2015
Very friendly coworkers, managers were all friendly and on task always. They kept a clean store and always kept things on time. Firm when needed to be and always nice to the employees. I enjoyed working with my coworkers, everyone helped when needed to and manager always handled situations appropriately. I would come into work and unload the morning truck with stock, then begin to stock all my frames in my department. It was easy for me and I worked fast to get the job done. I learned cashier, truck unloading, building grids for the stock, cleaning shelves, overstock work, and working the sales floor. The hardest part of the job was definitely the overstock as we'd have to check every frame on the top shelves with the ladder, it was the most tiring as well.
Pros
Friendly environment.
Cons
not many hours
Best People. Fun job. Always work to do
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Bay, ONJune 19, 2015
Michaels North Bay is the best place i have ever worked. Management is amazing. They care about their employees as people not as just "workers" I have learned so much about things one might not expect and there is always opportunity to learn more. The hardest part of the job is getting enough hours, however, if you do your job well and show up on time they will always try to give you more hours when they are available. I enjoy every part of this job.
Everyone makes it a fun environment while still getting work done. Balanced.
Pros
Happy work environment
Cons
I want to buy everything but can't.

2.9