Michaels Employee Reviews

Great place
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS13 June 2016
working at Michaes was a fun time. getting to work with the kids taught me that you can have fun at work. I was a little on the uneasy side because the hours were given out weirdly.
Pros
able to learn and grow.
Cons
low hours for not getting emails.
Michaels was a fun, artistic environment.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 February 2016
Working at Michaels was very interesting. The store was moving locations so they needed people to hep build the store. I was able to help in the creation of this Michaels store, I learned about how to put stores together, and to appreciate the effort that goes into it.

For a while, a typical day was to go in to the store, build some shelves, make sure the plan was right, and stock the shelves and walls. After that, a typical day would be to walk around the store to see if any customers needed assistance, or to work on cash.

It was so cool to be able to learn new things about peoples' art. I learned so much about yarn, scrapbooking, glass fusing, it was really a great environment. I once spent an hour with a customer because she was really brining me into her current project, and was asking my opinion about things.

The hardest part of the job was definitely setting up the store. The hours were long and not exciting, but it was amazing once the store was built to know that I was apart of that.

My co-workers were all incredibly friendly. If anyone needed help, someone would be there. Even in the breakroom there was always happy chatting going on, very good people to get along with.

One problem I had was with the management. They were not very organized and this caused a lot of problems with staffing. The managers were very nice people, they just needed to get on the same page of what was going on in the store.
Okay
Replenishment Team Member (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB29 June 2016
Working here I gained experience and experienced how hard it is to work retail and stock the shelves in a timely and efficient manner,
Cons
few hoyrs
Was able to work with kids, which I enjoy
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC4 May 2016
Usually the only cashier during the weekday; was a very high paced. Learned to be quick and efficient with my duties. Learned how to help customers in a professional manor, while providing them with excellent customer service.
Pros
Learning to craft
Cons
Not enough hours
Warm workplace
Cashier & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON16 May 2016
A very organized and well managed workplace. Waves of customers would appear often, but the team handles it and cleans the aftermath with ease and exceptional service.
Pros
Very friendly and welcoming environment
Cons
An hour would feel like five
Great atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS9 June 2016
Great staff to work with, job wasn't necessarily easy but it definitely wasn't difficult. Received great guidance from supervisors and managers.
Check out the managers before you commit.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON1 March 2014
Michael's isn't the worst place to work in the world but it was not enjoyable. The managers and supervisors overall were mean and hated to work there. They liked to point out everyone's mistakes which were made public because we all wore ear pieces. On many occasions I would hear a manager or supervisor telling off an employee over the earpiece.

One of the supervisors even got mad if you didn't know how to do something. I just stopped asking for help and made stuff up so I wouldn't have to deal with them anymore.

A supervisor (who was a rare nice one) ended up having a huge health problem and required time off and hospitalization including surgery. When her family asked if her job would be secure when she came back, the manager said that she wasn't guaranteeing anything. I quit before she came back so I'm not sure what happened but it sounded like Michael's wasn't very concerned about her.

You do get a 15% discount but it's pretty useless when you can just use the coupons that regular customers get.

Raises are around 20 cents.
Pros
Paid short breaks for four hour shifts.
Cons
Management was horrible.
caotic stressful place to work
FRONT END SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 January 2016
I was hired to be in charge of the front end of the store along with all the cashiers. I was not trained or given a proper job description of my resonsibilities
Pros
michaels discount
Cons
more management
Fun place to work while surrounded by various hobbies
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 November 2015
Long hours, but rewarded with satisfaction of being able to assist customers with finding the right tools to complete their projects. Further satisfaction with getting to know both staff and customers. Somewhat more stressful during major holidays, especially Christmas, but rewarding when clients smile after they find what they need. Loved being around crafts, as it is a passion of mine, and never had the same day twice.
Friendly Associates and Great Atmosphere
Framing Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 May 2016
Great work environment with managers who appreciate and recognize employees.
Fun place to work and learn about guests new projects.
Customer Service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON22 May 2016
Customer service is an asset in this company. Peaks and lows and when its busy time we must learn to be happy at all times. Very nice company to work for
Loved working there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 May 2016
I learned how to create shelves,
learnd to stock the shelves
learn how to open and close the store by cleaning and tidying the store up at schedled times.
friendly people
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 January 2016
the work is fun the people are nice the management is very understanding flexible hours for people who go to school easy to learn the ropes may need better communicators
Pros
friendly workers
Cons
no full time
Flexible with work schedule's
Cashier and Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ON4 May 2016
I've worked as a cashier for 2 years and as a custom framer for approximately a year and half. Policies are high in value and staff are very friendly.
Cons
Short hours
Fun work enviroment, educational, excellent customer service/knowledge
Pet Care Assosiate (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB30 October 2015
Pet Smart was an excellent company to work for. The training was thorough, managers were patient and very supportive. It was personable and every one got along. We were extremely involved with our customers, providing great information and assistance for their pets. They treated me well as an employee, fair with wages and hours.
Pros
good hours, kind work enviroment, great customer service
Cons
no benifits
Typical day
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BC5 April 2016
A typical day would be greeting and helping customers, working closely with associates.Organizing the front end and store events.The most enjoyable part of the job is belonging to a team.
Pros
Great environment, friendly associates
Replenishment
Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Deerfoot Meadows, Calgary Alberta12 June 2014
Well the job was alright. I mean it is retail. I really liked it at first. The first 3 months everything was almost fun. I worked at the Deerfoot Meadows location. The management was not so great.... They went through three different managers within the 9 months I worked there. The general manager would tell me to do one thing while my replenishment manager would tell me to do another. They time you when you stock. I don't think it is a horrible thing but they don't take into account the time when you walk away from the product to help a customer. So they come back and aren't pleased that your first job wasn't done. Well, they say customers come first... They shouldn't get mad if it isn't done "on time"
I am ok if we are working toward goals but nagging about it doesn't help.
Co-workers are fun.
Pros
Occasional free lunch, salary, co-workers
Cons
Managment, tiresome
Productive and Fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NS16 April 2016
I loved working there, my co workers were amazing people and a lot of fun to work with. it made working there better and and more enjoyable
Good Company
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 December 2015
Michaels has changed quite a bit since i worked there last the team is all new and there have been significant renovations. However when i was employed i enjoyed my time with the company. The staff was good and there was a great work/life balance.
Absolutely appalling
customer experience (Former Employee) –  prince george, bc7 April 2013
Michaels was the absolute worst working experience of my life. The management was horrendous, treating its employees like slaves and actually breaking several labor laws. Employees are expected to do everything for minimum pay and are treated as criminals, forced to wait to leave work despite being off the clock while the managers searched their bags/purses. Hours were poor and the upper management would cut everyone else's hours to maintain their steady pay. Awful policies were in place and you would be punished for not talking to customers even if you had already spoke with them; it only mattered if you did it in front of the manager. There was no incentives and many would freeload off the work of the few like myself who actually tried. Any promotion prospects they tell you about are basically lies. However some of the employees were Ok.
Pros
a few employees were ok
Cons
everything else.

2.9