Michaels

Michaels Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Fun workplace, not a career
Floral Designer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 26, 2013
Pros: fun, creative
Cons: weekends, low pay
I learned great customer service skills

Very fun, creative work environment
very interesting
Office Administrative Support & Bookkeeper (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 20, 2012
I began here 2 years ago and i gained alot of good work experience that had lead me to new opportunities.
Dead end position unless you have management experience
customer experience associate (Current Employee), Brampton OnSeptember 30, 2012
Pros: the staff i worked with was great
Cons: late evenings and not enough hours to go around
I've been with Michaels as an associate for over 10 years. I'm still a part time associate. When they changed the store positions I tried to apply for a management postion but didn't have any previous management experience.
A typical day is greeting customers and trying to keep the store clean also backing up cash.
My co workers are easy to get along with, management is willing to help you out. If you want to move up you have to apply internally or move to another store where the position is available. I bend over backwards for customers and the store and never received any recognition for my services, even though I have let management know that I'm interested in promotions rewards.They also started associate of the month, a class instructor got it instead of an associate.
You will learn a lot about crafts, organizing and prioritizing customers. You may also have to deal with upset customers if the managers are busy with a conference call or other things. You will also learn about policies and the pros and conds of how big box companies work.
The hardest part is dealing with people that think there isn't enough people working there or that the lines are too long when we have all the registers open. Or when you're the only person on the floor during busy times and being pulled in a million directions at once. Some times I want to ask if they would be willing to work until 9:30pm or longer on Saturday night.... Which is what I usually get stuck with. The most enjoyable part of the job is actually beng able to help some one find what they need or make them feel more confident about – more... their projects.
Scheduling can be a problem; some times availability gets ignored or they ask you to come in when you booked time off. Some times the only hours I get is on weekends and if I need a weekend off I won't get any hours during the week. Also I've noticed if I take on extra hours one week my hours would often get cut for the next week. My manager was just told to hire 6 new people and they don't have enough hours to go around. If they scheduled better then they wouldn't have to hire people.
I don't have much of a life out side of Michaels because I'm always working on the weekends or evenings, they don't give me enough hours to make a living off of this place. I've tried to get other jobs but things never work out and one of the managers has thretened me with firing me if I wasn't able to keep them a priority. Even if they do give you a raise it's not even noticable until you look at your pay check. – less

February 6, 2013

Also when I transferred from another store the manager I previously worked for location "lost" my employee records so I never received my 10 year reward at my current location.

I don't kow what to write here
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Saint John, NBSeptember 24, 2012
Pros: i enjoy the place and people
Cons: not enough hours
The reason why I am still looking for a job/career is that I am only getting 8-9 hours a week here. I would like a full time or part time job to supplement this, since 8-9 hours does not pay the bills. Other than hours, I do like working at Michaels.
it was a very learning experience
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONSeptember 4, 2012
I loved working for Michaels and meeting all types of people
Poor place to work
Replenishment (Former Employee), New Minas, NSAugust 18, 2012
Pros: great customers
Cons: poor management, broken promises, poor paperwork from head office for employees
One of the worse places to work, poor management, no advancement, broken promises, only advance friends not good workers. Took them over 3 months to get me my ROE. One sided towards management. Poor training methods.
Great place to work always something new arriving
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee), Kingston OntarioJune 26, 2012
Pros: lots of staff incentives
Cons: long hours and late night
Lots of customer interaction, learned to deal with many different types of people management was always very reassuring and helpful.
We always had lots of well trained and friendly staff at hand. Since we often had classes and events for the customer this made the job very enjoyable.
The hardest part was if we ran out of something and had to tell some it was available anymore so we could not met their needs.
Horrible Management
Arts and Crafts Department Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, AbertaJune 16, 2012
People I worked with were great. Management on the other hand, were poorly managed. People were being let go every time I turned around and became one of them. Turns out, they were going under..
ENVIRONNEMENT DE TRAVAIL AGRÉABLE
GÉRANTE D'EXPLOITATION (Former Employee), Laval, QCNovember 22, 2014
Pros: dans le domaine artistique
Cons: travail le samedi
UN TRAVAIL INTÉRESSANT , QUI RELIE L'ADMINISTRATION ET L'ART .

About Michaels

Michaels Stores is crafty. The nation's #1 arts and crafts retailer owns and operates about 1,075 Michaels Stores across the US – Read more