Michaels Employee Reviews

Positive Team
Framing Manager (Current Employee) –  New Minas, NS6 February 2017
Positive team mates who are so creative, building frames and allow clients to build a custom design for me to preserve their most cherished pictures and artifacts.
Fun to work at
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 February 2017
Really fun to work

Good discounts sometimes.

easy not too busy besides Christmas.

The managaers are pretty cool and chill

good salary and hours.
fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 January 2017
I truly enjoyed working at michaels, when I first started working there I was really into crafts so it gave me some chances to get to try different things. In the store they had different opportunities like teaching a class, crafts for kids and a summer camp program that you can participate in. While working there I had some different points of view on how managers should treat coworkers that we didn't exactly see eye to eye on. that is what pushed me to leave micahaels. I enjoyed everyone that I worked with and I had a good overall experience.
Pros
different work experiences
Cons
bad relationships
Great Environment and Employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON23 January 2017
This job was a great experience for me as a high school student.
I gained valuable experience in cashiering and dealing with customers. The management was very reliable and friendly and it was easy to come to them if I was experiencing any issues or was confused about something. In this environment I did not feel that any of my coworkers judged me or talked badly about me at any time. I felt very safe, comfortable, and happy throughout my time with this company. If I had to choose the hardest part of the job, it would be the fact that sometimes customers can get angry and talk very badly to you, but in the end it is very valuable customer service experience to be able to learn how to deal with situations like that. The best part of the job I'd say was when you could help a customer find the exact product they wanted, and they would be so grateful and happy which was a great feeling. Overall a great experience and I'd recommend it to anyone.
Cons
Sometimes not enough hours during certain times of the year
Mixed Bag
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 January 2017
At the store level, the people you work with a warm, supportive and friendly. There are many interesting products and the staff who specialize are more than willing to share their knowledge and help out if you get a question you can't answer. However once past store level, the support drops rapidly - corporate does not allow for enough hours to properly staff the store and therefore unless one is a manager, it is very, very unlikely to get more than 12 hours per week at the best of times. Company policies change or flip very quickly and communication is hit or miss, especially with the majority working part time which makes employees look like they don't know what they are talking about, despite being very capable individuals. I learned so much about cake decorating, jewelry making, what paints work best on a specific surface, how to read a yarn label to identify weight, what needles are needed and how to match dye lots and what adhesives work best for a particular project. But while the co-workers make the place great, the customers often don't and corporate policy rewards those who threaten to complain when an employee points out that they are trying to cheat discount policies.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, decent discount
Cons
not enough hours, no support from corporate
Great place to work.
Replenish Associate (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB20 January 2017
I really enjoyed my time there but the pay was okay. The managers where great and the environment was fun. only down side was I worked replenish and its a morning shift from 3-11 for minimum wage.
It is Nice...
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON19 January 2017
Michaels, although I enjoy working there as I am an artistic person, is just an okay place to work. My location has no opportunity for advancement, no pay raise either. The shifts are really shaky, in peak season shifts are plenty but in the off season you hardly get any hours.
Pros
Clean, Happy, Artsy
Cons
Unreliable Hours
Typical Retail
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON18 January 2017
If you are interested in crafting/scrapbooking/knitting/decorating or just being creative, working here is a great way to learn new tricks and get an awesome discount
Great workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 January 2017
Michaels is a great place to work with friendly workers and clear, set responsibilities each day. Management does everything they can for customers and associates to accommodate their needs.
I loved working here
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 January 2017
Even though I only worked here a few months, I loved it. I wish I could be a part of the Michael’s team for the long run. There are no complaints from working there. The management is great and the staff works really well together.
Productive, quick pace with weekly ticket draws for money
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB10 January 2017
Micheals was a very fun place to work, the work itself is very repetitive and very easy to do. the other workers leave you alone and allow you to do your job and are very nice. management can be a little hard to approach but they run very efficiently. the whole job was very easy but also very fast.
Pros
good pay, short hours
Cons
replenishment is part time only
Great leads and architects
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Irving9 January 2017
Learnt a lot. Excellent team. Many projects and lot of scope for learning. Leads encourage when you propose new solutions. Great location and they try to use the latest versions of the software.
Poor place to work
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON9 January 2017
Poor wages. They pay minimum wage regardless of experience. Manager is age discriminate. Any seasonal help that was over 50 was released at the end of season. Younger people were kept on regardless of job performance. I would never work at this store again! Manager says one thing and does another.
Pros
Only plus was discount and fellow employees.
Good Work environment
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 January 2017
Flexible hours after months of working, great fun place to work at, good discounts and perks. Great work environment with other co workers
Pros
flexible hours and great environment
Cons
no full time, no benefits
well run store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS6 January 2017
the stores managers were very nice. the other workers were easy to get along with, giving a friendly welcoming workplace. store is always neeat and tidy
overworked but loved co-workers
Replenishment Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada29 December 2016
Enjoyed working with a wonderful crew. Some management were wonderful to work with. Very high turnover rate of employees and managers often due to being over worked and under payed most of the time. Very few hours for part time staff outside of Christmas time. The company doesn't seem to screen their managers very well for qualification.
Pros
loved my co-workers
Cons
over worked, low pay, few hours for part time staff, high turnover rate of employees & managers
good job for crafty and creative individuals
presentation replenishment manager (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON28 December 2016
This company is an excellent company to work for if you are a creative and crafty individual. Those with those 2 characteristics will strive with this company as everything revolves around new ideas.
Busy and fun place to work with an okay pay.
FT Framer (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON28 December 2016
I actually really like working at Michaels, but I wish they paid better. Working full-time and not being able to afford the basics like an apartment and a car really gets to you.

Working in framing is really fun, if that's the kind of work you like to do. It's a lot of sales, and a little bit of making frames, but it's still a lot of fun if you're good with your hands and like sales in low pressure environments.

Co-workers, at least at the store I work at, are actually awesome. Which is something I'm not used to. They're helpful, but not all that communicative which is fine if you don't mind that sort of thing.

The job isn't hard because I enjoy it, but some of my coworkers seem to have trouble staying organized. On the other hand I love the fact that I'm always busy with stuff to do at Michaels, it's never boring.
Pros
enjoyable, creative
Cons
low salaries, communication issues
too many changes
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON23 December 2016
schedule changes too often can never plan anything. Planning is terrible always move things in store from week to week. Difficult to be productive too many people telling you what to do
Organized and Beautiful. Lovely atmosphere.
Sales Associate, Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 December 2016
Warm introductions from co-workers, keeping organized and product knowledge, management was okay, stocking, the atmosphere of the store.
Pros
Knowledge about the products
Cons
No direct buses to East Hills, You can not review your schedule online or call and ask when you work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9