Michaels Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Meh
Cashier as well as Floor Staff (Former Employee), LondonJuly 30, 2015
Place had a very hectic attitude and was at times very disorganized in what people were supposed to be doing. It felt like management was just making it up as they went along. It was a tough job, but the positive is that you learned past, and there was tons of customer interaction which really helps with your people skills. Co-workers were usually just other students and some older people still looking for work, so it was quite pleasant to work with them.
Management Needs Improvement
Sales representative (Former Employee), Orleans, ONJuly 21, 2015
Pros: employee discount
Cons: poor management
While working here, I was extremely disappointed with the lack of respect for all of the employees by management. It was not a positive working environment. The store manager, was always yelling at someone. Never calm. I have health issues, and I would get in trouble for being ill. I quit this job because of health issues and the lack of respect of my condition. I would only recommend this job to someone with perfect health, and who can deal with non stop disrespect.
Experience
Spécialiste du service à la clientèle (Former Employee), Vaudreuil-Dorion, QCMarch 28, 2016
Pros: na
Cons: na
My work experience in Canada has been rewarding because I learned different techniques servcio customers has helped me improve my service every day.

The work environment is nice and employees respect each other
Always busy environment with lots of tasks
Sales Associate, Fine Arts Instructor (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONJune 18, 2015
Pros: Frequent breaks
Cons: Not enough hours
A typical day at Michaels' Arts and Crafts is usually a busy one. There is always something to do. When you're on the floor you'll either be helping with classes, down-stocking products, putting away returns, and ALWAYS helping and greeting customers. I learned how to always be on my feet and organize my tasks accordingly to save as much time as possible. I also gained communication skills by learning along the way how to talk with customers and deal with any situations in a professional manner. Management and my co-workers are very nice and flexible, with helpful co-workers who are willing to take or trade shifts with you and help out. The hardest part of this job is when it gets too busy for the amount of staff available, and sometimes it can become overwhelming. But the most enjoyable part is not always doing one thing, and giving your opinion for a customer's craft or project.
Great learning and working environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Dartmouth Crossing, NSJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: great learning experience
Cons: too few hours avaliable
waiting and assisting customers
what products are good to use for certain projects
I have a lot of knowledgeable co workers
helping the customers locate the product they are looking for and
leaving our store happy and willing to return.
Typical day
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee), Prince George, BCApril 5, 2016
Pros: Great environment, friendly associates
A typical day would be greeting and helping customers, working closely with associates.Organizing the front end and store events.The most enjoyable part of the job is belonging to a team.
Best People. Fun job. Always work to do
Sales Specialist (Current Employee), North Bay, ONJune 19, 2015
Pros: Happy work environment
Cons: I want to buy everything but can't.
Michaels North Bay is the best place i have ever worked. Management is amazing. They care about their employees as people not as just "workers" I have learned so much about things one might not expect and there is always opportunity to learn more. The hardest part of the job is getting enough hours, however, if you do your job well and show up on time they will always try to give you more hours when they are available. I enjoy every part of this job.
Everyone makes it a fun environment while still getting work done. Balanced.
Bad Experience
Framing Manager (Current Employee), MontrealSeptember 30, 2015
Cons: not well taken care of, no value to the company
The store is nice I like the items and all. Opens up your mind towards Arts.
But lack in culture
lack in happiness in work environment
Awesome place to work, really enjoyed it.
Seasonal Cashier and floor person (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABMarch 16, 2016
I loved working at the Michaels store in GP. They had fabulous people to work with and the managers were amazing. I was sad to have to move on.
great staff but extremely horrid management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABApril 19, 2016
Pros: great staff, fun environment
Cons: management
management purposefully forced me out of shifts due to a simple clash of personality regardless of my stats being rather remarkable.
Clareview location was a great place to work.
Crochet Instructor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 23, 2016
I greatly enjoyed working at Michaels, Clareview. I had excellent managers who went out of their way to try and help accommodate sometimes odd student or classroom configurations.
Truck team
truck team/ sales associate (Former Employee), Cambridge, ONSeptember 3, 2015
Pros: Classes, friendly team
Cons: sometimes its hard to get the hours you want during the low season
I loved working here. its a great environment to work in with a fun team and easy hours if you like mornings. supportive management and easy work but can be a workout
Seasonal Part Time Cashier Position
Seasonal Part Time Cashier (Former Employee), Niagara Falls, ONOctober 12, 2015
Pros: Flexible Work schedule, short commute to work
Cons: Seasonal position did not lead to permanent position
Primarily responsible to processing customer purchases and returns as required. The biggest challenge was processing purchases within a limited time period. Questions and inquiries would need to be identified before the sale is entered into the cash register. Enjoyed meeting the various customers and learning about their various crafting interests.
Productive and Fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Dartmouth Crossing, NSApril 16, 2016
I loved working there, my co workers were amazing people and a lot of fun to work with. it made working there better and and more enjoyable
CASHIER (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: employee discount
Cons: short hours
I enjoyed working at Michael's, however every cashier was a part time position so the most hours i got in a day ranged from 4/5 hours.
general retail job
PT Seasonal (Former Employee), Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2016
Staff worked super slow expecting me to take up the slack
Supervisor did not control environment and processes
Asking questions was frowned upon
lots of politics
Part -Time Replenishment Crew (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 25, 2015
it is an okay company to work for but lots of politics....for the work you do the wages are not the greatest. The work is physical and you are expected to get it done in a timely manner. Younger staff doesn't have the type of work ethic you would expect which is very frustrating.
Fun work place
Certified Framer (Former Employee), Mississauga, ONOctober 25, 2015
Worked as a silver certified framer for two years. learned a lot about archival mounting and framing. I've taken this and applied it to my own practice today.
Good place to work at
Stock (Former Employee), Mississauga, OntarioJune 24, 2015
Pros: Friendly environment.
Cons: not many hours
Very friendly coworkers, managers were all friendly and on task always. They kept a clean store and always kept things on time. Firm when needed to be and always nice to the employees. I enjoyed working with my coworkers, everyone helped when needed to and manager always handled situations appropriately. I would come into work and unload the morning truck with stock, then begin to stock all my frames in my department. It was easy for me and I worked fast to get the job done. I learned cashier, truck unloading, building grids for the stock, cleaning shelves, overstock work, and working the sales floor. The hardest part of the job was definitely the overstock as we'd have to check every frame on the top shelves with the ladder, it was the most tiring as well.
Productive but cold
Stock Clerk (Former Employee), Milton,ONJuly 10, 2015
Cons: Cold enviroment
Our day started as 4 in the morning, where we unloaded trucks but I had received no training as to where the boxes went, so I had to follow the others in where the boxes went. From there, we were told to unload the boxes as fast as possible, and we were told not to talk to each other unless we had questions. Even then, it was difficult to find one of the managers to ask said questions and it almost felt like we were expected to do our job and completely ignore customer service, as if our stations were not done in an orderly fashion. There were a few co-workers that were nice but many felt cold and distant.
Headquarters