Michaels Employee Reviews

Warm workplace
Cashier & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 16, 2016
A very organized and well managed workplace. Waves of customers would appear often, but the team handles it and cleans the aftermath with ease and exceptional service.
Pros
Very friendly and welcoming environment
Cons
An hour would feel like five
Was able to work with kids, which I enjoy
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMay 4, 2016
Usually the only cashier during the weekday; was a very high paced. Learned to be quick and efficient with my duties. Learned how to help customers in a professional manor, while providing them with excellent customer service.
Pros
Learning to craft
Cons
Not enough hours
Flexible with work schedule's
Cashier and Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONMay 4, 2016
I've worked as a cashier for 2 years and as a custom framer for approximately a year and half. Policies are high in value and staff are very friendly.
Cons
Short hours
Fun work environment
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONApril 22, 2016
fast paced environment, must be able to handle difficult situations, good management team, friendly staff. Hardest part of the job is grumpy customers, best part; the people you'll meet/work with
Pros
short shifts
Cons
short shifts
great staff but extremely horrid management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABApril 19, 2016
management purposefully forced me out of shifts due to a simple clash of personality regardless of my stats being rather remarkable.
Pros
great staff, fun environment
Cons
management
Productive and Fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NSApril 16, 2016
I loved working there, my co workers were amazing people and a lot of fun to work with. it made working there better and and more enjoyable
It was alright
Seasonal Stock Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ONApril 8, 2016
I was hired as a TEMP for Christmas help. I worked in stock replenishment. I was "supposed:" to be in the early mornings unloading new stock and placing it out on the floor. I only ever worked that shift ONCE in the four months I was there. I usually worked as a regular sales associate during store hours or closing shifts cleaning the store. It was ok because I am a "people person" and I like people. After all, customers are why you have the job. But just so you know, if you get hired for one position, does not mean that will be the position you do. The wages were minimum wage which sucks if your trying to make a living on your own. If your sharing your living costs with a spouse or common law partner, its good extra cash or grocery money. If your a student, living at home, it should also be alight. But if your single, living on your, providing for yourself and paying rent or mortgage, this job alone will not cut it. Other than the money, I did enjoy the job. I like arts and crafts. I learned about other arts and crafts that I did not "make" or "know about" before working there and I like working with people.
Pros
Arts, Crafts, People
Cons
Low wages, worked in another area other than what I was hired for
Typical day
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCApril 5, 2016
A typical day would be greeting and helping customers, working closely with associates.Organizing the front end and store events.The most enjoyable part of the job is belonging to a team.
Pros
Great environment, friendly associates
Craft Store with amazing people
Floral Designer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
Recently I've been moved to the position as a Florist because of my ability to adapt to any environment and work hard at the task assigned to me. I am very creative; this attribute adds to the enjoyment of the job. I get to create things out of simple materials. Management is great. The people placed in management work hard to make sure you're on task and are always there when you need them. All my co-workers are kind and funny, they make a hard day enjoyable.
Pros
pizza lunches occasionally, Co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours, the pay
Experience
Spécialiste du service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QCMarch 28, 2016
My work experience in Canada has been rewarding because I learned different techniques servcio customers has helped me improve my service every day.

The work environment is nice and employees respect each other
Pros
na
Cons
na
Awesome place to work, really enjoyed it.
Seasonal Cashier and floor person (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMarch 16, 2016
I loved working at the Michaels store in GP. They had fabulous people to work with and the managers were amazing. I was sad to have to move on.
Fin place, fun people, fun customers
Seasonal Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 10, 2016
I worked an early shift at Michaels, setting out product and displays before we opened. I also worked part of the open shift, and helped customers as I was dealing with product. Coworkers all had interest in different arts and we were all able to offer our help and insight to different customers. We each had a personal radio with which to communicate with our coworkers on the floor.
The hardest part of the job may have been trying to get an organizational project done while still offering help to customers that need it, which could make a one-day project take a week. Management was open to conversation and suggestions regarding the way things were done and were fairly flexible when it came to our schedules.
Pros
learning about new forms of art, offering my own expertise
Cons
not being entirely knowledgeable about certain arts, glitter
Very fun and enjoyable workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 1, 2016
Very fun and enjoyable work place.
Fantastic management.
Company really appreciates the staff.
Best part of the job was meeting all the creative people and seeing how much they love talking about what they do.
Pros
Amazing company to work for
Cons
no complaints
Creative workplace
Full Time Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 28, 2016
I greatly enjoyed working with this company. Being a creative individual, the workplace and the product I dealt with was positive and the management was always willing to answer questions and help out their employees.
Pros
Great associate discount, friendly fellow employees
Cons
Employees were made to clean the bathrooms, sometimes without the proper protection.
Clareview location was a great place to work.
Crochet Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 23, 2016
I greatly enjoyed working at Michaels, Clareview. I had excellent managers who went out of their way to try and help accommodate sometimes odd student or classroom configurations.
Michaels was a fun, artistic environment.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 21, 2016
Working at Michaels was very interesting. The store was moving locations so they needed people to hep build the store. I was able to help in the creation of this Michaels store, I learned about how to put stores together, and to appreciate the effort that goes into it.

For a while, a typical day was to go in to the store, build some shelves, make sure the plan was right, and stock the shelves and walls. After that, a typical day would be to walk around the store to see if any customers needed assistance, or to work on cash.

It was so cool to be able to learn new things about peoples' art. I learned so much about yarn, scrapbooking, glass fusing, it was really a great environment. I once spent an hour with a customer because she was really brining me into her current project, and was asking my opinion about things.

The hardest part of the job was definitely setting up the store. The hours were long and not exciting, but it was amazing once the store was built to know that I was apart of that.

My co-workers were all incredibly friendly. If anyone needed help, someone would be there. Even in the breakroom there was always happy chatting going on, very good people to get along with.

One problem I had was with the management. They were not very organized and this caused a lot of problems with staffing. The managers were very nice people, they just needed to get on the same page of what was going on in the store.
plenty busy when hours are available
Replenishment / Stocking Shelves (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 14, 2016
Being a retail place of business, when the sales are down, the hours go down as well except for management. Most people cannot keep working when only offered 10 hours a week. I love working here , the atmosphere is great when hours are up, then when hours are down, the workers get sloppy in their jobs.
Pros
enjoy the hours
Cons
lack of hours when sales are down
Nothing wrong with working here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2016
I had worked here for 1 year and 7 months, and overall it was a stable job that I was comfortable going to. There were really no down falls, except for some strong willed costumers who insist you give them that coupon (even when it doesn't even apply to the product). But I honestly cant complain, this work place treated me well for a significant amount of time.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Coupon policy
Productive but bad shifts management
Sales Associate/Cashier/Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Great place to work, friendly and helpful people, but very random and few shifts given, training provided is minimal. Management is very caring and supportive. They teach you the basics of Cash and framing but a lot of it is learn on your own. Customers are enjoyable for the most part. Breaks are short. Hardest part of the job would be the lack of staff during busy holidays schedules, Enjoyable part would be the friendly environment.
Pros
Easy going, very little stress
Cons
short irregular weekly shifts, few benefits
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 2, 2016
I enjoyed working at Michael's, however every cashier was a part time position so the most hours i got in a day ranged from 4/5 hours.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
short hours

2.9