Michaels Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun work environment
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONApril 22, 2016
fast paced environment, must be able to handle difficult situations, good management team, friendly staff. Hardest part of the job is grumpy customers, best part; the people you'll meet/work with
Pros
short shifts
Cons
short shifts
Great learning and working environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NSJanuary 28, 2016
waiting and assisting customers
what products are good to use for certain projects
I have a lot of knowledgeable co workers
helping the customers locate the product they are looking for and
leaving our store happy and willing to return.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
too few hours avaliable
great staff but extremely horrid management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABApril 19, 2016
management purposefully forced me out of shifts due to a simple clash of personality regardless of my stats being rather remarkable.
Pros
great staff, fun environment
Cons
management
Worst company ever
Custom Frame Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 22, 2016
By far the worst company I have ever worked for. Fist, they don't tell you you are responsible for more then just custom frames. You get the custom department you have to look after but they also give you the frames off the floor you are responsible for ( they don't tell you that up front ).
Second, after being there as the department manager for almost a year they have still never sent me for training, everything I do I taught myself as they will not spend the money to train people correctly.
Third, when the store is slow and they don't think they will make their day money wise they cancel all floor staff , you can't get your own work done because the customer can not find anyone else on the floor so they come to you. ( I guess to michaels saving $50 on having someone on the floor is better then having happy customers that can find help on the floor).
Fourth, michaels was handed a huge fine last summer for how they did their pricing on custom frames, so instead of just abiding by the law they have come up with a way to skirt around it by using coupons we give you so you never have to pay full price for custom framing.
Fifth, after putting up with everything ( no training, bad hours, no help ect...) for a year that they give you they tell you that you will now be the only manager in the store that gets no weekend off ever , that you can't have 2 days off in a row .
Do yourself a favor and stay as far away from this company as you can! This company has no business ethics at all.
Pros
Get to see some unique and amazing artwork
Cons
Bad management, No training, No ethics, No weekends off
Love my Job!
cashier (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AlbertaOctober 28, 2015
I started working at Michaels about a month ago and absolutely love my job. The people are wonderful, management is great and I love dealing with the customers day to day. I do have an interest in crafting so I find it enjoyable to see what comes through my cash each time. I would highly recommend working for Michaels.
Pros
Management, hours, customers
Cons
So far, none to date.
Flexible with work schedule's
Cashier and Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONMay 4, 2016
I've worked as a cashier for 2 years and as a custom framer for approximately a year and half. Policies are high in value and staff are very friendly.
Cons
Short hours
Friendly Associates and Great Atmosphere
Framing Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 17, 2016
Great work environment with managers who appreciate and recognize employees.
Fun place to work and learn about guests new projects.
Awesome place to work, really enjoyed it.
Seasonal Cashier and floor person (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, ABMarch 16, 2016
I loved working at the Michaels store in GP. They had fabulous people to work with and the managers were amazing. I was sad to have to move on.
Clareview location was a great place to work.
Crochet Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 23, 2016
I greatly enjoyed working at Michaels, Clareview. I had excellent managers who went out of their way to try and help accommodate sometimes odd student or classroom configurations.
Loved working there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 21, 2016
I learned how to create shelves,
learnd to stock the shelves
learn how to open and close the store by cleaning and tidying the store up at schedled times.
Customer Service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONMay 22, 2016
Customer service is an asset in this company. Peaks and lows and when its busy time we must learn to be happy at all times. Very nice company to work for
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 2, 2016
I enjoyed working at Michael's, however every cashier was a part time position so the most hours i got in a day ranged from 4/5 hours.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
short hours
Productive and Fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NSApril 16, 2016
I loved working there, my co workers were amazing people and a lot of fun to work with. it made working there better and and more enjoyable
great job
Framing Associate (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONMay 19, 2016
great staff to work with here. the work isnt too difficult and the management is great. it was a very enjoyable job. the environment is very welcoming
Replenishment
Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Deerfoot Meadows, Calgary AlbertaJune 12, 2014
Well the job was alright. I mean it is retail. I really liked it at first. The first 3 months everything was almost fun. I worked at the Deerfoot Meadows location. The management was not so great.... They went through three different managers within the 9 months I worked there. The general manager would tell me to do one thing while my replenishment manager would tell me to do another. They time you when you stock. I don't think it is a horrible thing but they don't take into account the time when you walk away from the product to help a customer. So they come back and aren't pleased that your first job wasn't done. Well, they say customers come first... They shouldn't get mad if it isn't done "on time"
I am ok if we are working toward goals but nagging about it doesn't help.
Co-workers are fun.
Pros
occasional free lunch, salary, co-workers
Cons
managment, tiresome
Seasonal Part Time Cashier Position
Seasonal Part Time Cashier (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ONOctober 12, 2015
Primarily responsible to processing customer purchases and returns as required. The biggest challenge was processing purchases within a limited time period. Questions and inquiries would need to be identified before the sale is entered into the cash register. Enjoyed meeting the various customers and learning about their various crafting interests.
Pros
Flexible Work schedule, short commute to work
Cons
Seasonal position did not lead to permanent position
Fun environment to work in
Customer Service, Cashier, Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABJuly 4, 2015
A typical day involves running the cash register, tidying up the store and putting away items, and assisting customers with their crafting needs. My co-workers are amazing and we are always having fun together. We are always bouncing ideas off each other if we are having trouble with a customers craft. I've learned to handle money, how to run a register, restocking shelves, team work and improving communication. The management are friendly and nice but they don't seem to communicate with each other very well leading to misunderstandings. They do their best to help us out. The hardest part is no clear definition of a job description or training in specific departments.
Part-time seasonal employee
Seasonal Employee (Former Employee) –  Stittsville, ONJuly 3, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of loading U-boat trolleys in the stockroom moving them to the floor and then restocking the shelves.
After shelves were mainly restocked, employees who were "free" collected garbage or assisted other employees in restocking as necessary. Upon opening of the store employees carried on their duties in addition to greeting and assisting customers as required.
After a task was completed an employee would usually differ to the on duty manager for direction. One of the most valuable things I learned was the proper application of teamwork in a professional environment. Shift management was effective and conducive to a smooth working environment. Co-workers were pleasant and accommodating, always ready to help and assist their fellow employees. The hardest part of the job was the early hours, and the most enjoyable part of my job was helping the customers.
Check out the managers before you commit.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONMarch 1, 2014
Michael's isn't the worst place to work in the world but it was not enjoyable. The managers and supervisors overall were mean and hated to work there. They liked to point out everyone's mistakes which were made public because we all wore ear pieces. On many occasions I would hear a manager or supervisor telling off an employee over the earpiece.

One of the supervisors even got mad if you didn't know how to do something. I just stopped asking for help and made stuff up so I wouldn't have to deal with them anymore.

A supervisor (who was a rare nice one) ended up having a huge health problem and required time off and hospitalization including surgery. When her family asked if her job would be secure when she came back, the manager said that she wasn't guaranteeing anything. I quit before she came back so I'm not sure what happened but it sounded like Michael's wasn't very concerned about her.

You do get a 15% discount but it's pretty useless when you can just use the coupons that regular customers get.

Raises are around 20 cents.
Pros
paid short breaks for four hour shifts.
Cons
management was horrible.
general retail job
PT Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJanuary 4, 2016
Staff worked super slow expecting me to take up the slack
Supervisor did not control environment and processes
Asking questions was frowned upon