Michaels Employee Reviews

Awesome Place for a first time job!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB4 January 2018
Awesome staff, overall great place to work! I am so glad that this was my first job position. Discount was great, employees were great, customers could sometimes be negative but overall it was a good experience.
Same work every day
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB4 January 2018
Typical day at work is usually the same requirements and jobs. Don't really learn anything new. Has flexible hours and other employees are easy to get along with.
Excellent Management
Support Specialist (Key Holder) (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC3 January 2018
The store manager is wonderful to work for. Her outgoing sunny disposition makes it a joy to go to work every day. She is very approachable if you have issues with your job or schedule.
Basic Retail Experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grande Prairie, AB22 December 2017
Michaels was great for me as I am a crafty individual and enjoyed helping customers with their crafting needs.
I had previous retail and cashier experience when I was younger, so I didn't learn more but did continue to grow my customer service and communication skills.
The hours were not conducive to family living as there could be late nights or fewer hours in a week.
Pros
discount
Cons
inconsistent hours
didnt work here long
Cashier/stock (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 December 2017
great place to work. down side is there is lots to know with minimal training. expected to know where everything is even though you are never allowed to leave the till. smell of the store can get to you depending on the time of year.
Pros
work with crafting supplies
Cons
expectations with no proper training
Fun place to work, but pay and compensation is lacking.
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 December 2017
A lower management position like mine is probably one of the worst positions to have in this company; you're responsible for a lot, but get paid very little. You also get stuck with all of the closing and weekend shifts so say goodbye to any sort of a social life (If you ask for a weekend off it becomes a huge issue). After 6 years with the company, one would think that I'd be compensated a little more than just a dollar more than minimum wage, but when I asked about a raise when minimum went up, I was met with "it's not in the budget" by upper management.

I'm constantly being reprimanded for shortcomings by the marketing team; for example Michaels offers children's birthday parties. If they're scheduled on the days that Michaels decides to throw a last minute event, I get in trouble for accommodating the customer and not running the event that was planned last minute and has no interest by the general public. It's ridiculous. District managers who are rarely in the store also get on you for menial things when they don't understand that each individual store has different needs and ways of running. They don't want to listen to your feedback and suggestions. Also do you want to make a complaint to HR? Better believe it's not going to be anonymous even if you ask it to be.

The other employees, creative atmosphere, and staff discount are what make this job great, but not being remotely appreciated after 6 years of service is frustrating, and based on the hours that I put in, I expect more than minimum wage and nagging all the time.
Pros
Awesome staff discount
Cons
Horrible shifts, low wages
Absolutely awful
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kelowna5 December 2017
Awful management. Refuses to send ROE for months. Poor customer service. If you try to call they will put you on hold for 30 minutes until call disconnects.
Pros
Cons
Management customer service hours
great people to work with
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Brockville, ON4 December 2017
no issues easy to do the job that is requested of me, the people are welcoming to me allows me to do my work without incident. I love the hours I work I still get to enjoy the rest of the day.
would not recommend
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB3 December 2017
i enjoyed working here for the first week but the mood of some managers changed and became very unapproachable and rude to associates. management did not care about the treatment of associates, we were spoken to rudely, and constantly sworn at. management knew about these problems and nothing was ever done. not sure if it's just this location or if more are like this.
Pros
Cons
few hours, low pay
Fun environment inspiring creativity
Cashier Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB23 November 2017
A typical day is scanning and bagging customers' purchases, learning about their projects, offering helpful tips. Management encourages a team-building environment. A positive, energetic, organized, clean place to work.
A place where the schedule is flexible
Entretien (Former Employee) –  Lachenaie, QC22 November 2017
Having a job there and being a student is easy since they are very aware of the situations a student can face. They offer flexibility in changing days off to more convenient days.

Working in the back-store is hard work, but it is very lively and time goes by quickly.

Sometime the management can be a bit... rough but it's not impossible to talk to the higher-ups they are very open to talking and making the job environment better.
Michaels is a very good place to start out
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK21 November 2017
Michaels is the perfect starting point. The management is very professional, and they help their employees, in multiple different ways. It is a work environment that encourages mental health and does what it can for those with poor mental health.
Good working environment but physical demanding
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 November 2017
It was really physical demanding job. I was also getting less hours than I was expecting.Colleagues and Managers were helpful and cooperative, I love that store.
Work hard and keep your head down
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON15 November 2017
Great staff, however the protocols and timelines for completing tasks is unrealistic and inflexible.
Constantly under scrutiny and under pressure.
Schedule is hectic
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
listed above
Weird Company with nowadays outdated junk product
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa West, ON11 November 2017
Seasonal hire 10 years ago as multitasker (store next to Ottawa IKEA) was mostly enjoyable until what wound being my last shift, where the manager was slightly stoned on crack... especially a young senior staffer, who came back from break obviously TOTALLY WHACKED OUT... He was actually walking around the store going woo-ooh...
fun workplace
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 November 2017
most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and becoming friends with most of my coworkers, got to make crafts most everyday with kids. Management though never really listened to what their associates had to say
Good for part-time hours only, best for short term employment
Replenishment Team (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS18 October 2017
Typical days can be mostly predictable, but very hectic and poor communication at times for what people need to be doing and when. This could depend on which manager you are working with that day.

Most shifts are around 4 hours, rare to get more than that in a day, and rarely more than 12 hours a week. Schedule planning by management is unpredictable and can change without notice.

The staff themselves get along really well, which is what makes the job incredibly enjoyable.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that I have a chance to help the workplace be more productive and lively, and to expand my knowledge on how operations work in different areas.
Cons
Lack of hours
Cashier
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 October 2017
I was a chashier for Michaels for over a year and I found it a great job. Same as any other cashiering job it includes a lot of standing and customer service, but it is enjoyable and loved helping customers during their craft shopping experience.
Pros
Great work environment if you love creativity and crafts!
good place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK7 October 2017
Good place for a starting up job, the staff is good, the place is mostly clean and organized, overall like the place. recommended for a starting up job.
Pros
good place
Cons
hours
Management is awful!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 October 2017
When i first got the position, they never gave me any information! About dress codes, or direct deposit, pay stubs, the whole bit. They just neglect to inform their employee's about anything. Not to mention the management was rude, and inconsiderate to mental health issues when needed to book a day off.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

51.2K