Michaels Employee Reviews in Canada

Fun place to work while surrounded by various hobbies
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 13, 2015
Long hours, but rewarded with satisfaction of being able to assist customers with finding the right tools to complete their projects. Further satisfaction with getting to know both staff and customers. Somewhat more stressful during major holidays, especially Christmas, but rewarding when clients smile after they find what they need. Loved being around crafts, as it is a passion of mine, and never had the same day twice.
Loved it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 8, 2016
I loved working here. Very fun place to work at. An excellent choice for people who are looking for their first retail/cashier job and don't know where to start.
Pros
Good management, fun and creative environment, strong team culture, some room for growth
Cons
Low pay
Was able to work with kids, which I enjoy
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMay 4, 2016
Usually the only cashier during the weekday; was a very high paced. Learned to be quick and efficient with my duties. Learned how to help customers in a professional manor, while providing them with excellent customer service.
Pros
Learning to craft
Cons
Not enough hours
friendly people
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 19, 2016
the work is fun the people are nice the management is very understanding flexible hours for people who go to school easy to learn the ropes may need better communicators
Pros
friendly workers
Cons
no full time
Great place
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Truro, NSJune 13, 2016
working at Michaes was a fun time. getting to work with the kids taught me that you can have fun at work. I was a little on the uneasy side because the hours were given out weirdly.
Pros
able to learn and grow.
Cons
low hours for not getting emails.
Warm workplace
Cashier & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 16, 2016
A very organized and well managed workplace. Waves of customers would appear often, but the team handles it and cleans the aftermath with ease and exceptional service.
Pros
Very friendly and welcoming environment
Cons
An hour would feel like five
Amazing costumers and co-workers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBJuly 9, 2016
Everyone working there is always happy and kind. 99% of the costumers that come into the store are also happy and kind. I have made a lot of friends working at Micheals.
Fun work enviroment, educational, excellent customer service/knowledge
Pet Care Assosiate (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, ABOctober 30, 2015
Pet Smart was an excellent company to work for. The training was thorough, managers were patient and very supportive. It was personable and every one got along. We were extremely involved with our customers, providing great information and assistance for their pets. They treated me well as an employee, fair with wages and hours.
Pros
good hours, kind work enviroment, great customer service
Cons
no benifits
busy
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ONAugust 20, 2016
loved all the craft discounts. also helped do children's birthday parties and craft demonstrations .Coworkers were very helpful when I had questions'
Pros
discount
Good Company
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 9, 2015
Michaels has changed quite a bit since i worked there last the team is all new and there have been significant renovations. However when i was employed i enjoyed my time with the company. The staff was good and there was a great work/life balance.
Okay
Replenishment Team Member (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABJune 29, 2016
Working here I gained experience and experienced how hard it is to work retail and stock the shelves in a timely and efficient manner,
Cons
few hoyrs
Fun work environment
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONApril 22, 2016
fast paced environment, must be able to handle difficult situations, good management team, friendly staff. Hardest part of the job is grumpy customers, best part; the people you'll meet/work with
Pros
short shifts
Cons
short shifts
Worst company ever
Custom Frame Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 22, 2016
By far the worst company I have ever worked for. Fist, they don't tell you you are responsible for more then just custom frames. You get the custom department you have to look after but they also give you the frames off the floor you are responsible for ( they don't tell you that up front ).
Second, after being there as the department manager for almost a year they have still never sent me for training, everything I do I taught myself as they will not spend the money to train people correctly.
Third, when the store is slow and they don't think they will make their day money wise they cancel all floor staff , you can't get your own work done because the customer can not find anyone else on the floor so they come to you. ( I guess to michaels saving $50 on having someone on the floor is better then having happy customers that can find help on the floor).
Fourth, michaels was handed a huge fine last summer for how they did their pricing on custom frames, so instead of just abiding by the law they have come up with a way to skirt around it by using coupons we give you so you never have to pay full price for custom framing.
Fifth, after putting up with everything ( no training, bad hours, no help ect...) for a year that they give you they tell you that you will now be the only manager in the store that gets no weekend off ever , that you can't have 2 days off in a row .
Do yourself a favor and stay as far away from this company as you can! This company has no business ethics at all.
Pros
Get to see some unique and amazing artwork
Cons
Bad management, No training, No ethics, No weekends off
Great atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSJune 9, 2016
Great staff to work with, job wasn't necessarily easy but it definitely wasn't difficult. Received great guidance from supervisors and managers.
Nothing wrong with working here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2016
I had worked here for 1 year and 7 months, and overall it was a stable job that I was comfortable going to. There were really no down falls, except for some strong willed costumers who insist you give them that coupon (even when it doesn't even apply to the product). But I honestly cant complain, this work place treated me well for a significant amount of time.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Coupon policy
Experience
Spécialiste du service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QCMarch 28, 2016
My work experience in Canada has been rewarding because I learned different techniques servcio customers has helped me improve my service every day.

The work environment is nice and employees respect each other
Pros
na
Cons
na
Friendly Associates and Great Atmosphere
Framing Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 17, 2016
Great work environment with managers who appreciate and recognize employees.
Fun place to work and learn about guests new projects.
Typical day
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCApril 5, 2016
A typical day would be greeting and helping customers, working closely with associates.Organizing the front end and store events.The most enjoyable part of the job is belonging to a team.
Pros
Great environment, friendly associates
Loved working there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 21, 2016
I learned how to create shelves,
learnd to stock the shelves
learn how to open and close the store by cleaning and tidying the store up at schedled times.
Customer Service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONMay 22, 2016
Customer service is an asset in this company. Peaks and lows and when its busy time we must learn to be happy at all times. Very nice company to work for

2.9