Michaels Employee Review

productive and entertaining. getting along with customers and co-workers.
experience sales associate (Current Employee) –  Berkeley, CA14 February 2014
greeting everyone as soon I come in to work. learning about customers and what they do. my managers will updates us with new information, and always getting along with my co-workers. I normally don't have a hard of the day, maybe when it come to "returns" but other then that I'm fine.
Pros
employment discount
Cons
dental insurance

Other Michaels Employee Reviews

didnt work here long
Cashier/stock (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB12 December 2017
great place to work. down side is there is lots to know with minimal training. expected to know where everything is even though you are never allowed to leave the till. smell of the store can get to you depending on the time of year.
Pros
work with crafting supplies
Cons
expectations with no proper training
Fun place to work, but pay and compensation is lacking.
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 December 2017
A lower management position like mine is probably one of the worst positions to have in this company; you're responsible for a lot, but get paid very little. You also get stuck with all of the closing and weekend shifts so say goodbye to any sort of a social life (If you ask for a weekend off it becomes a huge issue). After 6 years with the company, one would think that I'd be compensated a little more than just a dollar more than minimum wage, but when I asked about a raise when minimum went up, I was met with "it's not in the budget" by upper management.

I'm constantly being reprimanded for shortcomings by the marketing team; for example Michaels offers children's birthday parties. If they're scheduled on the days that Michaels decides to throw a last minute event, I get in trouble for accommodating the customer and not running the event that was planned last minute and has no interest by the general public. It's ridiculous. District managers who are rarely in the store also get on you for menial things when they don't understand that each individual store has different needs and ways of running. They don't want to listen to your feedback and suggestions. Also do you want to make a complaint to HR? Better believe it's not going to be anonymous even if you ask it to be.

The other employees, creative atmosphere, and staff discount are what make this job great, but not being remotely appreciated after 6 years of service is frustrating, and based on the hours that I put in, I expect more than minimum wage and nagging all the time.
Pros
Awesome staff discount
Cons
Horrible shifts, low wages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9