Michaels Employee Reviews

Very productive
Représentant de ventes au détails (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC23 June 2017
Michaels is a great place to work in i have nothing bad to say about this place. Everyone knows what they have to do and if needed we helped eachother to complete different task in the store.
Pros
great environnement to work in
Cons
not enough hours
Terribly managed and illegal practices
Early Morning Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC22 June 2017
They use your hours as weapons, mislead you on duties, and have no idea how to properly manage a business. Currently the worst Michaels in all of Canada for a reason.
Pros
There were not any.
Cons
The hours, the management, their lack of safety practices, the ignorance to the labour laws.
Mostly enjoyable due to environment and people around me
Sales Associate & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON20 June 2017
Great place filled with strong minded determined people. Customers were very nice and considerate most times. Only flaw is management. Very strict and not understanding of personal lives and issues outside of work.
Learning Experience
Custom Framing and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodside Square16 June 2017
I loved working at Michaels, the team was friendly an the customers were friendly. The creativity in the store was bursting. I got to learn many techniques of the trades and was able to input my own knowledge and experiences to help others.
Good environment, High Pressure
General Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON 3050 Vega16 June 2017
I love working at Michaels arts and crafts, I have been there for ten years. The job has been constantly changing and constantly challenging. As a store manager the demands and expectations are borderline unrealistic
Pros
Good culture and promotion of values
low pay, no room for advancement
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 June 2017
Working at Michaels was a good part-time job,if you are interested in crafts then this is a great place to be, but there is no room for advancement and low pay.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
no hours, no room for advancement, low pay
Good Crafts Store
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 June 2017
Michaels is a good place to work at if you're interested in various crafts. The staff are good people and are always willing to help if anyone needs assistance.
excellent
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL6 June 2017
very wonderful enviroment and awesome coworkers and customers are generally happy and calm. 10% off and it applies over top of all other discounts.
Fun Atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON5 June 2017
This environment is perfect for a creative person who enjoys meeting new people and sharing ideas and passion for arts and crafts. There are often birthday parties for children and events being held at the store.
michaels
Cashier, Customer Service, and Floor Assiciate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 June 2017
short hours. refunds. too many managers. dealing with customers the best. hardest part not familiar with some products short days. deal with customers multi task.
Pros
learn lots of info
Cons
not enough hours
terrible manager
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 May 2017
the manager would wait by the exit of the store after we are off the clock to get us to do things like clean the store or mop the floor as we are walking out
Fun Workplace
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC30 May 2017
It was great being able to see some of the products before they were put out on the shelves; however, the very early morning shelf stocking was not as much fun.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
Very Early or Late Shifts
Fairly fun
Framing Manager/Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2017
Management was a bit tough, but that is expected for a corporate chain store. Goals are expected to be met, and when they are not, there are usually repercussions.

People working under you or with you are usually great. Team environment is friendly too.
Ottawa Pinecrest Store
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 May 2017
Customer Service Manager for 3 plus years.

I had the blessing of working with a great team at Michaels Pinecrest. Store Manager Ann Marie Jamieson was supportive and a great leader. I enjoyed my time working for Michaels.
My only complaint would be with District..expecting unrealistic expectations and when needed support was often denied. Hours being cut and not enough coverage on floors during peak hours.
Overall i appreciated everything that Michaels has taught me. If you are looking for a part time job and can handle a fast pace then this is a great starter job to break you into retail.
Pros
Great management team/Michaels Pinecrest
Cons
Few hours/ Not enough staff coverage.
unprofessional
Sales Associate (Part Time) (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB22 May 2017
Management was very poor and often would ignore days I had booked off and schedule me for those days and would only give me 24 hours notice of shifts sometimes. Their excuse being that its retail and its how it works, very unprofessional and horrible way to treat your employees. Also good luck getting paid more than minimum wage these people are penny pinchers as they are well aware their business is slowly dying.
Good place to work.
Temporary Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON15 May 2017
Interesting place to work. Learned a lot about arts supplies and such. People that I worked with were very friendly and helpful. Management was patient and understanding, however it sometimes felt as though we were expected to learn a lot of complicated information that wouldn't be useful anywhere other than Micheals in a very short amount of time. But that might have just been because we under a time constraint since we were helping with store set up. Don`t expect to get a whole lot of shifts though haha.
Pros
Friendly People
Cons
Physically taxing
Days go by fast, fun work place
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB14 May 2017
When I first started management was fantastic, but now there have been some complications. Easy job to grasp knowledge of (Replenishment crew). Hours are based on sales, rough start. January - June is slow! Hours pick up around mid june/july and even more in october through december. Love working when there are hours available. If your moved out, own a newer car, phone, etc. it can be hard to stay stable in the slower seasons and even in peak seasons, depending on how many hours they have to dish out accordingly. But! We have this awesome program called Micheals cares that we raise money for, and that goes towards Micheal's employees who need finacial help, situtional help, etc.
Pros
Discount!!!
Cons
Not enough hours
Part Time Job
Sales associate- Certified Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON8 May 2017
I have worked at Micheals since 2011, it was a good job for after high school. But they are only willing to give part time hours, and management changes a lot.
The pro with working there is that they are very flexible with hours.
Cons
Strictly Part- time
A decent place to work as far as retail goes, but definitely some problems.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON7 May 2017
An okay place to work, management was good except for one grumpy manager who eventually did get a little bit better. It was really helpful to be able to talk to coworkers over the headsets if you had a question or needed help. They didn't train me super well when I started - my only training was watching powerpoints and videos for a couple hours, then shadowing a cashier for about two hours. After that I was expected to be okay on my own, which I hated because I had to ask a million questions through the headset. Also, the website to record your availability and request time off was absolute garbage. The managers would insist that you use the website, but then it never worked, and I would get scheduled for days when I was working at my other job, along with any other days I tried to book off. So that was stressful. As a cashier my job was pretty much as expected: cash customers out, do returns, take phone calls when customers called, and tidy shelves around the cash when it wasn't busy. The hours I got scheduled to work sucked sometimes, because in the summer I was only getting 4.5 hours a week (which is when I wanted more hours), and then around the holidays I was getting way more hours than I wanted, even though a manager had told me beforehand that it would be no problem for me to get a maximum of 8 hours/week (since I was now in school and had taken on a second job). Almost all of my coworkers were very nice, although I didn't get to know any of them too closely, and sometimes I would be the only person on cash so there would be no one to talk to.
Pros
Nice managers and coworkers, for the most part.
Cons
I think I covered this in my review...
What I do at work.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC7 May 2017
As a cashier, I was responsible for managing the cash register, doing returns, communicating with clients regarding our arts and crafts classes or questions they might have, answering the phone and tending to whoever is on the phone and making sure the area around the cash register is clean.

As a sales associate, I was responsible for helping customers around the store, giving them ideas and opinions on their projects, making sure the store is clean, helping the cashiers if they need an item from the floor, putting back returns onto the floor and cleaning the store after it's closed.
Pros
Awesome coworkers and managers
Cons
Not enough staff

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9