Michaels Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Customer Service
Customer Service (Former Employee), Chatham-Kent, ONMay 22, 2016
Customer service is an asset in this company. Peaks and lows and when its busy time we must learn to be happy at all times. Very nice company to work for
Loved working there
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Toronto, ONMay 21, 2016
I learned how to create shelves,
learnd to stock the shelves
learn how to open and close the store by cleaning and tidying the store up at schedled times.
great job
Framing Associate (Current Employee), Brantford, ONMay 19, 2016
great staff to work with here. the work isnt too difficult and the management is great. it was a very enjoyable job. the environment is very welcoming
Friendly Associates and Great Atmosphere
Framing Associate and Cashier (Current Employee), Hamilton, ONMay 17, 2016
Great work environment with managers who appreciate and recognize employees.
Fun place to work and learn about guests new projects.
Warm workplace
Cashier & Customer Service (Former Employee), Markham, ONMay 16, 2016
Pros: Very friendly and welcoming environment
Cons: An hour would feel like five
A very organized and well managed workplace. Waves of customers would appear often, but the team handles it and cleans the aftermath with ease and exceptional service.
Was able to work with kids, which I enjoy
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee), Nanaimo, BCMay 4, 2016
Pros: Learning to craft
Cons: Not enough hours
Usually the only cashier during the weekday; was a very high paced. Learned to be quick and efficient with my duties. Learned how to help customers in a professional manor, while providing them with excellent customer service.
Flexible with work schedule's
Cashier and Custom Framer (Current Employee), Sarnia, ONMay 4, 2016
Cons: Short hours
I've worked as a cashier for 2 years and as a custom framer for approximately a year and half. Policies are high in value and staff are very friendly.
Fun work environment
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee), Pickering, ONApril 22, 2016
Pros: short shifts
Cons: short shifts
fast paced environment, must be able to handle difficult situations, good management team, friendly staff. Hardest part of the job is grumpy customers, best part; the people you'll meet/work with
great staff but extremely horrid management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABApril 19, 2016
Pros: great staff, fun environment
Cons: management
management purposefully forced me out of shifts due to a simple clash of personality regardless of my stats being rather remarkable.
Productive and Fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Dartmouth Crossing, NSApril 16, 2016
I loved working there, my co workers were amazing people and a lot of fun to work with. it made working there better and and more enjoyable
It was alright
Seasonal Stock Replenishment (Former Employee), Ancaster, ONApril 8, 2016
Pros: Arts, Crafts, People
Cons: Low wages, worked in another area other than what I was hired for
I was hired as a TEMP for Christmas help. I worked in stock replenishment. I was "supposed:" to be in the early mornings unloading new stock and placing it out on the floor. I only ever worked that shift ONCE in the four months I was there. I usually worked as a regular sales associate during store hours or closing shifts cleaning the store. It was ok because I am a "people person" and I like people. After all, customers are why you have the job. But just so you know, if you get hired for one position, does not mean that will be the position you do. The wages were minimum wage which sucks if your trying to make a living on your own. If your sharing your living costs with a spouse or common law partner, its good extra cash or grocery money. If your a student, living at home, it should also be alight. But if your single, living on your, providing for yourself and paying rent or mortgage, this job alone will not cut it. Other than the money, I did enjoy the job. I like arts and crafts. I learned about other arts and crafts that I did not "make" or "know about" before working there and I like working with people.
Typical day
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee), Prince George, BCApril 5, 2016
Pros: Great environment, friendly associates
A typical day would be greeting and helping customers, working closely with associates.Organizing the front end and store events.The most enjoyable part of the job is belonging to a team.
Craft Store with amazing people
Floral Designer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
Pros: pizza lunches occasionally, Co-workers
Cons: Not enough hours, the pay
Recently I've been moved to the position as a Florist because of my ability to adapt to any environment and work hard at the task assigned to me. I am very creative; this attribute adds to the enjoyment of the job. I get to create things out of simple materials. Management is great. The people placed in management work hard to make sure you're on task and are always there when you need them. All my co-workers are kind and funny, they make a hard day enjoyable.
Experience
Spécialiste du service à la clientèle (Former Employee), Vaudreuil-Dorion, QCMarch 28, 2016
Pros: na
Cons: na
My work experience in Canada has been rewarding because I learned different techniques servcio customers has helped me improve my service every day.

The work environment is nice and employees respect each other
Awesome place to work, really enjoyed it.
Seasonal Cashier and floor person (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABMarch 16, 2016
I loved working at the Michaels store in GP. They had fabulous people to work with and the managers were amazing. I was sad to have to move on.
Fin place, fun people, fun customers
Seasonal Replenishment Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 10, 2016
Pros: learning about new forms of art, offering my own expertise
Cons: not being entirely knowledgeable about certain arts, glitter
I worked an early shift at Michaels, setting out product and displays before we opened. I also worked part of the open shift, and helped customers as I was dealing with product. Coworkers all had interest in different arts and we were all able to offer our help and insight to different customers. We each had a personal radio with which to communicate with our coworkers on the floor.
The hardest part of the job may have been trying to get an organizational project done while still offering help to customers that need it, which could make a one-day project take a week. Management was open to conversation and suggestions regarding the way things were done and were fairly flexible when it came to our schedules.
Very fun and enjoyable workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 1, 2016
Pros: Amazing company to work for
Cons: no complaints
Very fun and enjoyable work place.
Fantastic management.
Company really appreciates the staff.
Best part of the job was meeting all the creative people and seeing how much they love talking about what they do.
Creative workplace
Full Time Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Markham, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Pros: Great associate discount, friendly fellow employees
Cons: Employees were made to clean the bathrooms, sometimes without the proper protection.
I greatly enjoyed working with this company. Being a creative individual, the workplace and the product I dealt with was positive and the management was always willing to answer questions and help out their employees.
Clareview location was a great place to work.
Crochet Instructor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 23, 2016
I greatly enjoyed working at Michaels, Clareview. I had excellent managers who went out of their way to try and help accommodate sometimes odd student or classroom configurations.
Michaels was a fun, artistic environment.
Sales (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 21, 2016
Working at Michaels was very interesting. The store was moving locations so they needed people to hep build the store. I was able to help in the creation of this Michaels store, I learned about how to put stores together, and to appreciate the effort that goes into it.

For a while, a typical day was to go in to the store, build some shelves, make sure the plan was right, and stock the shelves and walls. After that, a typical day would be to walk around the store to see if any customers needed assistance, or to work on cash.

It was so cool to be able to learn new things about peoples' art. I learned so much about yarn, scrapbooking, glass fusing, it was really a great environment. I once spent an hour with a customer because she was really brining me into her current project, and was asking my opinion about things.

The hardest part of the job was definitely setting up the store. The hours were long and not exciting, but it was amazing once the store was built to know that I was apart of that.

My co-workers were all incredibly friendly. If anyone needed help, someone would be there. Even in the breakroom there was always happy chatting going on, very good people to get along with.

One problem I had was with the management. They were not very organized and this caused a lot of problems with staffing. The managers were very nice people, they just needed to get on the same page of what was going on in the store.
Headquarters