Michaels Employee Reviews

Don't work here!
Cash Office Specialist/Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 March 2017
This is an okay place to work if you want a temp part-time job, but working there long term will erode your soul. The corporate structure treats their frontline people like they're disposable; thus there is high turnover. Management are definitely not on your side, and you will be frustrated by the frequent changes in company policy. There are no benefits; they don't even take Employee of the Month seriously. They're all about the bottom line.
Pros
Employee discount (25%)
Cons
Everything else
Creative and fun place
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB28 February 2017
I loved working at michaels maybe because I was an artist but it was fun and there were a lot of other co workers that were creative as well! Management was nice though! I can't say though it's a good job for those trying to make a living because it pays very low and they are only required to give you 3 hour shifts. You could also go a week or two without any shifts sometimes and there's no set schedule of time so you can work 3am one day and 12 pm the next. But if you're just going to school and working they understand for students so it's great.
Pros
Management, co-workers, creative output, great for first job
Cons
Short hours, no set scheduling
Be aware
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario12 March 2017
It was a fun place to work however as time went on they were trying to run this company like it is its own country.
The ZVP for Zone 5 needs to chill out. Unfortunately it reflects back to the DMs whom which basically 2 in the GTA are good people and one an idiot.
The expectations are unrealistic. The hours long and no work life balance.
They give you 3 days off in lieu for working extra mandatory days at Christmas which they just fly under the radar for based on labour law.
After a long tenior and deciding to leave, I have 0 regrets.
The culture needs to change.
Pros
vacation pay benefits.
Cons
long hours treated poorly almost militant
Unorganized and could use new leadership
Merchandising product (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON14 March 2017
A typical day at work really was dependent on if there was or was not a truck, if a truck did come the day is busy and chaotic due to low space for product and unnecessarily strict product guidelines. Management was decent, my boss himself was a great boss, he had a good time at work while making it productive and educational. Other higher up management was non-existent in everyday work and simply did not do much in that aspect. The job was pretty decent for the most part just the people were not the most inclusive to new workers.
Pros
Great boss, Simple tasks
Cons
Poor organization, lack of leadership
Good place to gain customer service experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB23 March 2017
Majority of the time was at the till ringing customers through. Knowing weekly/daily deals and coupons were important because they are one of the reasons michaels is so popular. As employees we needed to get customer emails and so in every transaction we asked for their email, even if we already had it. This could be stressful sometimes because there was a pressure to keep up email percentages.
When it wasn't busy there were other things to do such as making sure the till area looked nice and putting returns in the sorting bins.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
not a lot of hours/flexibility
fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 January 2017
I truly enjoyed working at michaels, when I first started working there I was really into crafts so it gave me some chances to get to try different things. In the store they had different opportunities like teaching a class, crafts for kids and a summer camp program that you can participate in. While working there I had some different points of view on how managers should treat coworkers that we didn't exactly see eye to eye on. that is what pushed me to leave micahaels. I enjoyed everyone that I worked with and I had a good overall experience.
Pros
different work experiences
Cons
bad relationships
Good starter job, but little opportunity to advance
Floor Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC15 March 2017
I liked my coworkers and supervisors but my manager was not there a lot and seemed to favour certain employees even if other employees did a good/better job. The shifts were either really short or really long and they were at weird times (5am-8am, 11am-7pm etc).
Pros
Decent discount, coworkers were great
Cons
Absent managment, little opportunity for advancement/raises
Great Starter Job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON28 February 2017
It was my very first part time job, it held me over through college, because the shifts were short. You don't get very many hours as it is. which was great at first but now that school is coming to a close I need better hours. The discount is great if you are a student or an avid crafter as it works with the stores coupons.
Pros
great staff, short hours, employee discount
Cons
no benefits, rude customers
overworked but loved co-workers
Replenishment Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada29 December 2016
Enjoyed working with a wonderful crew. Some management were wonderful to work with. Very high turnover rate of employees and managers often due to being over worked and under payed most of the time. Very few hours for part time staff outside of Christmas time. The company doesn't seem to screen their managers very well for qualification.
Pros
loved my co-workers
Cons
over worked, low pay, few hours for part time staff, high turnover rate of employees & managers
Productive, quick pace with weekly ticket draws for money
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB10 January 2017
Micheals was a very fun place to work, the work itself is very repetitive and very easy to do. the other workers leave you alone and allow you to do your job and are very nice. management can be a little hard to approach but they run very efficiently. the whole job was very easy but also very fast.
Pros
good pay, short hours
Cons
replenishment is part time only

Want to know more about Michaels?

Ask a question
Poor place to work
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON9 January 2017
Poor wages. They pay minimum wage regardless of experience. Manager is age discriminate. Any seasonal help that was over 50 was released at the end of season. Younger people were kept on regardless of job performance. I would never work at this store again! Manager says one thing and does another.
Pros
Only plus was discount and fellow employees.
Cons
Very friendly staff, easy to work with and always willing to help
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON15 February 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my seasonal position as a team member at Michaels. I was eager to start and would willingly go back if the opportunity presented itself. The staff there were always so helpful when I first started out and everyone was friendly and easy to work with.
Pros
Wonderful staff
Fun people to work with
Captain of Fine Arts/Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
I only worked here a short time, but I worked the early morning shift, receiving the truck, stocking shelves, following floor plans when changing things around for each season, and keeping the shelves clean. The staff was great fun to work with, the management that I worked with was good and I absolutely loved working there. I loved setting up the new floor plans for the seasonal isles, i loved keeping things clean and organized. The only part I didn't like about the job was receiving the truck in the middle of winter, as it gets extremely cold, and the fact it wasn't full time.
No hours/ unreasonable demands
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 November 2016
I truly do not like working for this company. No employee recognition. In need of a second job just to pay for essential living expenses including rent, food, even razors to shave. Extremely unorganized. Low Moral with every employee. Very outdated working processes. Took over 4 weeks before i was given anything to sign for working at Michael's. Talked down to by warehouse manager because of the unreasonable demands from upper management. Poor communication between managers, also between management/employees and employee to employee. Extremely tired of this company.
Good place to work while still in school
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON21 March 2017
Working at Michaels has allowed me to further my customer experience, and it is good to have as a part time job while still in school. Everyday is different but its always fun and all the staff is friendly and easy going.
Pros
work life balance, work environment
Cons
short shifts, little advancement
Busy and fun place to work with an okay pay.
FT Framer (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON28 December 2016
I actually really like working at Michaels, but I wish they paid better. Working full-time and not being able to afford the basics like an apartment and a car really gets to you.

Working in framing is really fun, if that's the kind of work you like to do. It's a lot of sales, and a little bit of making frames, but it's still a lot of fun if you're good with your hands and like sales in low pressure environments.

Co-workers, at least at the store I work at, are actually awesome. Which is something I'm not used to. They're helpful, but not all that communicative which is fine if you don't mind that sort of thing.

The job isn't hard because I enjoy it, but some of my coworkers seem to have trouble staying organized. On the other hand I love the fact that I'm always busy with stuff to do at Michaels, it's never boring.
Pros
enjoyable, creative
Cons
low salaries, communication issues
Always on the go
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
There is never a dull moment in a store like Michaels. Whether it be that the store is out of stock on a particular item or that a customers coupon is not scanning there is always something to be done to make a customers experience perfect!
Pros
employee discount is imediately affective
Cons
the program used for checking schedules
It is Nice...
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON19 January 2017
Michaels, although I enjoy working there as I am an artistic person, is just an okay place to work. My location has no opportunity for advancement, no pay raise either. The shifts are really shaky, in peak season shifts are plenty but in the off season you hardly get any hours.
Pros
Clean, Happy, Artsy
Cons
Unreliable Hours
Excellent
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 March 2017
Michaels was a fun place to work at. If you like arts and crafts or are open to lots of new hobbies! I worked with a great bunch of people so we always had fun and a great time with our manager who was kind and considerate in regards to school schedules and personal commitments
much improvement needed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB6 March 2017
At the beginning i loved working at Michaels and all the managers were great. But it all changed and the relationship between managers (including store mamanger) and associates wasn't good. Managers were constantly gossiping about associates. Managers would smoke pot outside the receiving door, which would then make a section of the store smell like pot. I've even had customers complain about the smell to me. Associates are scared to talk to managers about problems/issues because some are quite rude to associates, they will yell and swear at you for no reason. As well, hours are not evenly distributed between associates. People who all have open availability would only get 4-8.5 hours a week while the managers favourites would get 16 and just blame it on them not having enough hours to give out. There are just too many problems with this company at the location i was at.
Pros
there is none
Cons
management, low pay, no benefits, hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9