Michaels

Michaels Canada Employee Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Amazing!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Oakville, ONFebruary 20, 2015
Working at michaels was one of the best experiences of my life! Every person who worked there was charming, intelligent, creative, and went above and beyond to help each customer that walked through the door!
Fun and Energetic workplace. It allows creativity to flow.
Cashier/ Sales associate (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 9, 2015
The thing I enjoy most about this job is being able to connect to customers through creative ideas. At times, I will be able to help someone find a new creative way to use products. Other times, customers help me with solutions to a difficult craft when I'm stuck.
Great staff!
Sales Associate / Cashier (Current Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 6, 2015
Great place to work!
I have met new people and friends for life!
If you are looking for decent hours, Michaels is NOT the place for you.
I enjoy the attitude of most of the staff however the managers don't do a very good job at ensuring hours and the well being of staff.
Sales associate/ cashier (Current Employee), Pitt Meadows, BCJanuary 30, 2015
Pros: great staff discounts
Cons: not enough hours per week
Working, I am helping on cash, answering phone calls, an assisting customers while making sure the store is organized. All of the co-workers are very friendly giving it a great atmosphere.
Great environment and great people
Sales associate (Current Employee), Saint-Laurent, Montreal, QCJanuary 14, 2015
In a day of work I would do cashier or be on the floor as sales associate. I enjoy helping customers & introducing them to our products. Team work is used a lot in my environment & I find that very important because being sociable is the first step to making our customers satisfied. Sometimes it gets hard when customers get rude, difficult and others, but it's up to us to keep up the good spirit. I learned to be a good sales associate, a organised cashier & most importantly I love my job!
fast paced workplace with awesome eployers
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Red Deer, ABDecember 11, 2014
Pros: discounts
Cons: break times
A typical day at work for me would be getting to the till and ringing customers in. I never know when or if i am going to get a break. I learned that you have to be fast paced and collect a lot of emails. The management at Michaels is well mannered. My co-workers are amazing people. The hardest part of my job is collecting the amount of emails they want. The most enjoyable part of my job is making sure all my customers are happy.
Customer Service based
Sales Associate and Instructor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 21, 2014
A typical shift involves serving customers and ensuring they have an excellent experience to bring them back again in future.

I learned a lot about how to deal with customers who didn't get quite what they were hoping for. How to diffuse a situation effectively to reverse the negative opinion that may have been formed.

Management was tough on us, but they really just wanted the business to succeed and customers to have excellent service.

My co-workers were amazing. We were always willing to help one another out and work as a team.
I did that
Customer Service and Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 12, 2014
I wrote something about it before, but I would like to say I like all my managers and friends in Michaels.
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 29, 2014
Enjoyed making crafts for the children that would come in throughout the week and weekend and making sure that all the customers were taking care as well as phone calls, cash out.
Replenishment
Replenishment (Former Employee), Deerfoot Meadows, Calgary AlbertaJune 12, 2014
Pros: occasional free lunch, salary, co-workers
Cons: managment, tiresome
Well the job was alright. I mean it is retail. I really liked it at first. The first 3 months everything was almost fun. I worked at the Deerfoot Meadows location. The management was not so great.... They went through three different managers within the 9 months I worked there. The general manager would tell me to do one thing while my replenishment manager would tell me to do another. They time you when you stock. I don't think it is a horrible thing but they don't take into account the time when you walk away from the product to help a customer. So they come back and aren't pleased that your first job wasn't done. Well, they say customers come first... They shouldn't get mad if it isn't done "on time"
I am ok if we are working toward goals but nagging about it doesn't help.
Co-workers are fun.
Great place to work for
Michaels Cashier (Former Employee), Kelowna B.C.June 12, 2014
I had a blast working at Michaels. Always a fun time :) The staff is always friendly
Enjoyed the work, not the manager.
Sales Representative/Certified Framer (Former Employee), NanaimoMay 15, 2014
I worked at Michaels for a couple years and it was great. Great staff, I enjoyed the work as a certified framer. Then we got a new store manager, Josh, and he was terrible to his staff. He belittled us often. Everyone got together and talked to the regional manager, had a meeting with Josh and talked about our experiences with him. He gave us an "apology", but nothing changed. So I quit. Couldn't handle it.
Not a fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Mississauga, OnFebruary 25, 2014
Cons: the store manager was intimidating and constantly made her employees cry.
The store manager was mean and rude, and constantly made employees cry. She was intimidating and never helped. She enjoyed putting people down. This was not a nice place to work at
Surrounded by Creativity
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Prince George, BCFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: creative environment
Cons: long hours
Michaels was an incredibly rewarding place to work - I loved the creativity that surrounded the staff and company. The management and co-workers are highly helpful and intelligent. The hardest part was learning the ins-and-outs of the job.
Micheal's
Customer service (Former Employee), Abbotsford, BCNovember 28, 2013
Fun Part time job
not a career as they only pay min wage unless management
Great people to work with
Replenishment associate (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABNovember 23, 2013
Pros: getting to see all the cool crafty products
Cons: early hours
I enjoyed working at Michaels, the people are great. I learned about the different product that they carry and what to recommend. Management does the best that they can, though not always prepared. The hardest part was probably the early hours and trying to remember where they kept moving everything to,
Good customers, strange rules on physical look for staff
Seasonal Cashier (Current Employee), Micheal's West VancouverNovember 9, 2013
Cons: not enough hours, terrible uniform
A typical day is quite busy. I've learnt about working in a large company and how that differs from a small business. My co-workers are totally fab. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to make the customers happy.
Easy and fun place to work at
Cashier (Former Employee), Victoria, BCJuly 6, 2013
Pros: employee discounts, ability to manipulate shifts, nice co-workers and customers
Cons: location not ideal for those who bus
Fun place to work at, as everyone there is nice. Seasonal periods are busy and harder to manage, but make time fly faster. My most enjoyable part of the job was when I was able to go home after a good day of work.

The hardest part of my job is in terms of my location, bussing is not trustworthy in this Michael's Location in Millstream.
Fun workplace, not a career
Floral Designer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 26, 2013
Pros: fun, creative
Cons: weekends, low pay
I learned great customer service skills

Very fun, creative work environment
very interesting
Office Administrative Support & Bookkeeper (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 20, 2012
I began here 2 years ago and i gained alot of good work experience that had lead me to new opportunities.

About Michaels

Michaels Stores is crafty. The nation's #1 arts and crafts retailer owns and operates about 1,075 Michaels Stores across the US – Read more