Michaels Employee Reviews

fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 January 2017
I truly enjoyed working at michaels, when I first started working there I was really into crafts so it gave me some chances to get to try different things. In the store they had different opportunities like teaching a class, crafts for kids and a summer camp program that you can participate in. While working there I had some different points of view on how managers should treat coworkers that we didn't exactly see eye to eye on. that is what pushed me to leave micahaels. I enjoyed everyone that I worked with and I had a good overall experience.
Pros
different work experiences
Cons
bad relationships
much needed improvement
Cashier and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB4 February 2017
Unloaded truck early tuesday mornings, replenished the store.
Management DOESNT give hours evenly, everyone had very open availability but gave 5 of us 4-12 hours a week while others were getting 16.5+. When asked for more they said they "didn't have extra hours". Managers would smoke marijuana outside the receiving door, which would then make the part of the store by the receiving room smell like pot. Managers constantly gossiped to each other and swore at staff. Manager constantly puts down replenishment team. Schedule is only given 5 days in advance.
Pros
only worked mornings
Cons
low hours, low pay, rude management
overworked but loved co-workers
Replenishment Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada29 December 2016
Enjoyed working with a wonderful crew. Some management were wonderful to work with. Very high turnover rate of employees and managers often due to being over worked and under payed most of the time. Very few hours for part time staff outside of Christmas time. The company doesn't seem to screen their managers very well for qualification.
Pros
loved my co-workers
Cons
over worked, low pay, few hours for part time staff, high turnover rate of employees & managers
Productive, quick pace with weekly ticket draws for money
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB10 January 2017
Micheals was a very fun place to work, the work itself is very repetitive and very easy to do. the other workers leave you alone and allow you to do your job and are very nice. management can be a little hard to approach but they run very efficiently. the whole job was very easy but also very fast.
Pros
good pay, short hours
Cons
replenishment is part time only
Fun people to work with
Captain of Fine Arts/Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
I only worked here a short time, but I worked the early morning shift, receiving the truck, stocking shelves, following floor plans when changing things around for each season, and keeping the shelves clean. The staff was great fun to work with, the management that I worked with was good and I absolutely loved working there. I loved setting up the new floor plans for the seasonal isles, i loved keeping things clean and organized. The only part I didn't like about the job was receiving the truck in the middle of winter, as it gets extremely cold, and the fact it wasn't full time.
No hours/ unreasonable demands
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 November 2016
I truly do not like working for this company. No employee recognition. In need of a second job just to pay for essential living expenses including rent, food, even razors to shave. Extremely unorganized. Low Moral with every employee. Very outdated working processes. Took over 4 weeks before i was given anything to sign for working at Michael's. Talked down to by warehouse manager because of the unreasonable demands from upper management. Poor communication between managers, also between management/employees and employee to employee. Extremely tired of this company.
Poor place to work
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON9 January 2017
Poor wages. They pay minimum wage regardless of experience. Manager is age discriminate. Any seasonal help that was over 50 was released at the end of season. Younger people were kept on regardless of job performance. I would never work at this store again! Manager says one thing and does another.
Pros
Only plus was discount and fellow employees.
Cons
Very friendly staff, easy to work with and always willing to help
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON15 February 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my seasonal position as a team member at Michaels. I was eager to start and would willingly go back if the opportunity presented itself. The staff there were always so helpful when I first started out and everyone was friendly and easy to work with.
Pros
Wonderful staff
Busy and fun place to work with an okay pay.
FT Framer (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON28 December 2016
I actually really like working at Michaels, but I wish they paid better. Working full-time and not being able to afford the basics like an apartment and a car really gets to you.

Working in framing is really fun, if that's the kind of work you like to do. It's a lot of sales, and a little bit of making frames, but it's still a lot of fun if you're good with your hands and like sales in low pressure environments.

Co-workers, at least at the store I work at, are actually awesome. Which is something I'm not used to. They're helpful, but not all that communicative which is fine if you don't mind that sort of thing.

The job isn't hard because I enjoy it, but some of my coworkers seem to have trouble staying organized. On the other hand I love the fact that I'm always busy with stuff to do at Michaels, it's never boring.
Pros
enjoyable, creative
Cons
low salaries, communication issues
Always on the go
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
There is never a dull moment in a store like Michaels. Whether it be that the store is out of stock on a particular item or that a customers coupon is not scanning there is always something to be done to make a customers experience perfect!
Pros
employee discount is imediately affective
Cons
the program used for checking schedules
Fun place to work
Replenishment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON27 October 2016
Other than getting up at 4 a.m to start at 5 a.m. for replenishment, it's a fun place to work. The other downfall is that they don't use a radio station, they use a loop track so you hear the same holiday tunes day in and day out unfortunately.

Replenishment could be done in the evening as opposed to in the morning, and I think this would be beneficial, especially for employees who live on private roads in bad storms. As these employees can't get to work. Even regular roads aren't plowed this early.

For this job you have everything explained and after a while your left to your own devices, and you get to set-up store displays. Which is really exciting! Downfall to that being that customers tear it apart really quick.

I would work full-time at Michaels.
Pros
lunch hour, fun environment, creative outlet
Cons
extremely early, loop track
Organized and Beautiful. Lovely atmosphere.
Sales Associate, Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 December 2016
Warm introductions from co-workers, keeping organized and product knowledge, management was okay, stocking, the atmosphere of the store.
Pros
Knowledge about the products
Cons
No direct buses to East Hills, You can not review your schedule online or call and ask when you work
A very rewarding job
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 September 2016
Michaels, overall was a very fun place to work. The team I was able to work with always made me feel very comfortable and at home. The managers were very fare about scheduling and had a great attitude. The hardest part about my job was having to handle upset costumers. However, the staff was always able to put a smile back on my face when I had had a bad day. I really enjoyed working for this company. It is a great place to work if you are just trying to save up some extra money.
It is Nice...
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON19 January 2017
Michaels, although I enjoy working there as I am an artistic person, is just an okay place to work. My location has no opportunity for advancement, no pay raise either. The shifts are really shaky, in peak season shifts are plenty but in the off season you hardly get any hours.
Pros
Clean, Happy, Artsy
Cons
Unreliable Hours
Demonstrated effective time management
Certified Custom framer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 November 2016
Successfully created and built layouts for client’s art pieces using companies visual framing components in conjunction with visual Photoshop computer program designed to mimic the finished project of their art piece(s)
Pros
Art classes available
Cons
Hours not steady
Management doesnt know what they're doing
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 November 2016
I liked my actual job, but the assistant manager was like a squirrel, and could not give clear instruction. She was mean to employees. You'd start something you were told to do and be pulled off. Then she'd wonder why you weren't finished.
Pros
The customers were usually in a good mood
Cons
Not many hours
Wosrt management team i have ever seen
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St catharines12 November 2016
Management alway in bedlam,talk about staff negatively behind their backs in a condescending way
First day thrown onto cash with barely any training or
Supervision
No support from management
Pros
Emoloyee discount
Cons
Poor workplace due to poor management
good job for crafty and creative individuals
presentation replenishment manager (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON28 December 2016
This company is an excellent company to work for if you are a creative and crafty individual. Those with those 2 characteristics will strive with this company as everything revolves around new ideas.
The worst place I have ever worked
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON16 August 2016
A typical day working here is being told you're not doing good enough or you don't know enough compared to someone who has been there for years before you. I was forced to take on more than I could handle while management sat around doing nothing. You call the manager for help and they ignore you or take their time getting to you so if customers get angry it's you who looks bad and not them. The quality of work you put in means nothing compared to the quantity of emails your collect for the store which is absolutely ridiculous. Management also chooses favourites. I've never been happier than I was when I quit this job.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Favouritism, no hours, poor management
Great Environment and Employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON23 January 2017
This job was a great experience for me as a high school student.
I gained valuable experience in cashiering and dealing with customers. The management was very reliable and friendly and it was easy to come to them if I was experiencing any issues or was confused about something. In this environment I did not feel that any of my coworkers judged me or talked badly about me at any time. I felt very safe, comfortable, and happy throughout my time with this company. If I had to choose the hardest part of the job, it would be the fact that sometimes customers can get angry and talk very badly to you, but in the end it is very valuable customer service experience to be able to learn how to deal with situations like that. The best part of the job I'd say was when you could help a customer find the exact product they wanted, and they would be so grateful and happy which was a great feeling. Overall a great experience and I'd recommend it to anyone.
Cons
Sometimes not enough hours during certain times of the year

2.9