Michaels Employee Reviews

letting staff know you have arrived. Straighen area, let customer know your till is open
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  South Common Edmonton9 June 2016
Letting staff know,you have arrived, told which cash to start on.
Mistakes on the register (voiding out a transaction)
Good to work with, coworkers. Helpful when needed. Floor staff,not very prompt for a price check.
Having to do a price check, with other customers waiting.
Pros
Praise for doing a good job.
Cons
No one willing to go the extra mile. And do a price check, for another area.
Great place to work if you are creative, not so great for pay if you live alone.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 August 2016
I enjoy working there for the most part, co-workers are great, pay and benefits not so much. If you are sharing rent with other people then it is a good place to work, especially if you are creative.
Pros
Get to be around other artists and art supplies, 30% discount on almost everything.
Cons
low wages, low hours
Good atmosphere between management and employees
STOCK PERSON (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 October 2016
I enjoyed my time there, The work was often varied which kept it interesting. Wages not bad. Encouragement was existent. People mostly smiled. Employees were encouraged to learn.
Pros
Fun
Cons
was hard/ impossible to get on full time in order to have benefits
Typical retail job.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 August 2016
Typical day at work:
- Providing customer service to help customers identify products, direct them to appropriate departments, and recommend additional products or alternatives through knowledge of products and store
- Multi-tasking between different positions and tasks

What I learned:
- Because customers come from all walks of life, being open minded, culturally competent, and patient is needed
- To work as part of a team and individually
- To juggle different tasks and positions at the same time; cross-trained in different positions (cashier, sales associate, replenishment staff, support staff, class programs)
- To work under a face-paced environment during peak hours
- The importance of peers through mentoring and training other employees

- Management can be a hit or miss
- Pay is good for retail, with annual raises
- Flexible hours for students
- No benefits unless full-time employee
- Work hours vary, depending on position, sales for the week, and personal availability/schedules
- Duties vary depending on what is needed for the greater good of the business

Hardest part of the job:
- Lots is expected out of employees with little to no rewards or incentives
- Not a rewarding job
- Meeting e-mail and customer satisfaction quotas
- Not getting work duties done in time due to being cross-trained in different areas, juggling multiple tasks at once, or short-staffed
- Being on my feet all day

Most enjoyable part of the job:
- Co-workers who make work fun and enjoyable
- Co-workers who are understanding and encouraging
- Most enjoyable
  more... part of the job is being able to do arts and crafts with children
- Interacting with customers who understand that working retail isn't always easy and is often under-appreciated
- Potlucks that occur very now and then
Productive but bad shifts management
Sales Associate/Cashier/Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 February 2016
Great place to work, friendly and helpful people, but very random and few shifts given, training provided is minimal. Management is very caring and supportive. They teach you the basics of Cash and framing but a lot of it is learn on your own. Customers are enjoyable for the most part. Breaks are short. Hardest part of the job would be the lack of staff during busy holidays schedules, Enjoyable part would be the friendly environment.
Pros
Easy going, very little stress
Cons
short irregular weekly shifts, few benefits
Fun people to work with
Captain of Fine Arts/Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
I only worked here a short time, but I worked the early morning shift, receiving the truck, stocking shelves, following floor plans when changing things around for each season, and keeping the shelves clean. The staff was great fun to work with, the management that I worked with was good and I absolutely loved working there. I loved setting up the new floor plans for the seasonal isles, i loved keeping things clean and organized. The only part I didn't like about the job was receiving the truck in the middle of winter, as it gets extremely cold, and the fact it wasn't full time.
No hours/ unreasonable demands
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 November 2016
I truly do not like working for this company. No employee recognition. In need of a second job just to pay for essential living expenses including rent, food, even razors to shave. Extremely unorganized. Low Moral with every employee. Very outdated working processes. Took over 4 weeks before i was given anything to sign for working at Michael's. Talked down to by warehouse manager because of the unreasonable demands from upper management. Poor communication between managers, also between management/employees and employee to employee. Extremely tired of this company.
The worst place I have ever worked
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON16 August 2016
A typical day working here is being told you're not doing good enough or you don't know enough compared to someone who has been there for years before you. I was forced to take on more than I could handle while management sat around doing nothing. You call the manager for help and they ignore you or take their time getting to you so if customers get angry it's you who looks bad and not them. The quality of work you put in means nothing compared to the quantity of emails your collect for the store which is absolutely ridiculous. Management also chooses favourites. I've never been happier than I was when I quit this job.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Favouritism, no hours, poor management
Fun place to work
Replenishment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON27 October 2016
Other than getting up at 4 a.m to start at 5 a.m. for replenishment, it's a fun place to work. The other downfall is that they don't use a radio station, they use a loop track so you hear the same holiday tunes day in and day out unfortunately.

Replenishment could be done in the evening as opposed to in the morning, and I think this would be beneficial, especially for employees who live on private roads in bad storms. As these employees can't get to work. Even regular roads aren't plowed this early.

For this job you have everything explained and after a while your left to your own devices, and you get to set-up store displays. Which is really exciting! Downfall to that being that customers tear it apart really quick.

I would work full-time at Michaels.
Pros
lunch hour, fun environment, creative outlet
Cons
extremely early, loop track
Craft Store with amazing people
Floral Designer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 March 2016
Recently I've been moved to the position as a Florist because of my ability to adapt to any environment and work hard at the task assigned to me. I am very creative; this attribute adds to the enjoyment of the job. I get to create things out of simple materials. Management is great. The people placed in management work hard to make sure you're on task and are always there when you need them. All my co-workers are kind and funny, they make a hard day enjoyable.
Pros
pizza lunches occasionally, Co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours, the pay
Job satisfaction working with customers for project completion
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC21 July 2016
We would start with communication with store manager or assistant store manager for directives for the day. Usually restocking of shelves upon receipt of merchandise. Customer service priorities.
I learned a lot about the retail environment from budgeting to scheduling and also the inventory replenishment. Friday would be add set change over which was very fun to do. A daily function was to greet and offer customer service to clients. I found that very rewarding as they would usually come back and show me pictures or tell me of their experiences.
Hardest part of the job was the weekly changing of our schedules , example never knowing when you work.
It was a great team and enjoyed working together.
Pros
Up to date product knowledge, learning new crafts
Cons
Shift work
A very rewarding job
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 September 2016
Michaels, overall was a very fun place to work. The team I was able to work with always made me feel very comfortable and at home. The managers were very fare about scheduling and had a great attitude. The hardest part about my job was having to handle upset costumers. However, the staff was always able to put a smile back on my face when I had had a bad day. I really enjoyed working for this company. It is a great place to work if you are just trying to save up some extra money.
Wosrt management team i have ever seen
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St catharines12 November 2016
Management alway in bedlam,talk about staff negatively behind their backs in a condescending way
First day thrown onto cash with barely any training or
Supervision
No support from management
Pros
Emoloyee discount
Cons
Poor workplace due to poor management
Great work place
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON2 August 2016
I have been working at Michaels for just over a year now and I absolutely love working there. My managers are wonderful and I love all my co-workers. Everyone is alway helpful when you need them. 99% of the customer that come in are amazing. Ther 1% are the customers who insist they get coupons that don't even apply to the products that they are purchasing. The managers do a great job at working around my busy university schedule and I am very greatful for that. Overall I love working at Michaels.
Pros
Co-workers are wonderful
Cons
Customers with the coupons
Fun, Exciting, Challenging, Friendly
Certified Custom Framer - Silver certification (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON16 June 2016
As a certified framer everyday was different. Our customers would supply us with a variety of different types of art to frame which made it both exciting and challenging. My co-workers are amazing we are all like a big family which is nice to see in such a big cooperation. I would say that the hardest part of my job is when pieces of art are for memorials of family members of all ages. The most enjoyable part is seeing the final outcome regardless of the situation. I have learned so many different things the most important is listening to the customer and learning how to read in between the lines as far as what the customer is wanting there piece to look like along with making it fit in there home and or someone's décor.
Cons
Hours are not stabalized
Fun work enviroment, educational, excellent customer service/knowledge
Pet Care Assosiate (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, AB30 October 2015
Pet Smart was an excellent company to work for. The training was thorough, managers were patient and very supportive. It was personable and every one got along. We were extremely involved with our customers, providing great information and assistance for their pets. They treated me well as an employee, fair with wages and hours.
Pros
good hours, kind work enviroment, great customer service
Cons
no benifits
Practical, hands - on workplace with a productive envoirnment
Mechandiser / Set-Up Crew (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 June 2016
On a typical day at work, me and my co - workers strive to achieve the day's objective. I enjoyed the creative and productive environment. But the management was new and was not able to co assist with the team due to inexperience in the workplace. Yet my favourite part was doing interior designing in the store.
Pros
Store Display, and a creative envoirnment
Cons
New Management -
Wish I never worked there!
Sales Floor Associate and Custom Framer (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON26 June 2016
Having a Bachelors degree in Fine Arts I thought Michaels would be a great and fun place to work. I have worked for other retail chains in the past with around fifteen years in retail. My husband had the chance for a military posting out of area, so I left my job of nine years.
After a year of looking I finally found a job at Michaels. Great with my creative background this should be fun! It started out o.k. Until a new store manager arrived. I made it known from the beginning with both the new and old manager that I was was on a Military posting and in time will be moving back. They were both understanding, at least I thought!

It came time for my return home, instead of two weeks notice I gave two months! The next day my hours dropped to 26 a week to 18. By the time I got to my last two weeks of work my hours dropped to 3 hours a week. When I asked my manager about my hours, I was told it was because I was moving. And he wouldn't waste giving me hours. This was said in front of other employees and management. I took the matter to head office and still nothing! It has been a year now!

I am a military wife, mother and an artist and I no longer even shop there! I will never work for a company that treats their employees this way.
Pros
30% discount, easy to get extra hours
Cons
Bad scheduling, no weekends off
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON25 October 2016
Michael's was a nice environment to work in. Co-workers were friendly and management motivated the employees. Very excellent place to work for an at heart crafter.
Always on the go
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
There is never a dull moment in a store like Michaels. Whether it be that the store is out of stock on a particular item or that a customers coupon is not scanning there is always something to be done to make a customers experience perfect!
Pros
employee discount is imediately affective
Cons
the program used for checking schedules

2.9