Michaels Employee Reviews

Be aware
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario12 March 2017
It was a fun place to work however as time went on they were trying to run this company like it is its own country.
The ZVP for Zone 5 needs to chill out. Unfortunately it reflects back to the DMs whom which basically 2 in the GTA are good people and one an idiot.
The expectations are unrealistic. The hours long and no work life balance.
They give you 3 days off in lieu for working extra mandatory days at Christmas which they just fly under the radar for based on labour law.
After a long tenior and deciding to leave, I have 0 regrets.
The culture needs to change.
Pros
vacation pay benefits.
Cons
long hours treated poorly almost militant
much improvement needed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB6 March 2017
At the beginning i loved working at Michaels and all the managers were great. But it all changed and the relationship between managers (including store mamanger) and associates wasn't good. Managers were constantly gossiping about associates. Managers would smoke pot outside the receiving door, which would then make a section of the store smell like pot. I've even had customers complain about the smell to me. Associates are scared to talk to managers about problems/issues because some are quite rude to associates, they will yell and swear at you for no reason. As well, hours are not evenly distributed between associates. People who all have open availability would only get 4-8.5 hours a week while the managers favourites would get 16 and just blame it on them not having enough hours to give out. There are just too many problems with this company at the location i was at.
Pros
there is none
Cons
management, low pay, no benefits, hours
Don't work here!
Cash Office Specialist/Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 March 2017
This is an okay place to work if you want a temp part-time job, but working there long term will erode your soul. The corporate structure treats their frontline people like they're disposable; thus there is high turnover. Management are definitely not on your side, and you will be frustrated by the frequent changes in company policy. There are no benefits; they don't even take Employee of the Month seriously. They're all about the bottom line.
Pros
Employee discount (25%)
Cons
Everything else
Good starter job, but little opportunity to advance
Floor Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC15 March 2017
I liked my coworkers and supervisors but my manager was not there a lot and seemed to favour certain employees even if other employees did a good/better job. The shifts were either really short or really long and they were at weird times (5am-8am, 11am-7pm etc).
Pros
Decent discount, coworkers were great
Cons
Absent managment, little opportunity for advancement/raises
Great Starter Job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON28 February 2017
It was my very first part time job, it held me over through college, because the shifts were short. You don't get very many hours as it is. which was great at first but now that school is coming to a close I need better hours. The discount is great if you are a student or an avid crafter as it works with the stores coupons.
Pros
great staff, short hours, employee discount
Cons
no benefits, rude customers
It is Nice...
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON19 January 2017
Michaels, although I enjoy working there as I am an artistic person, is just an okay place to work. My location has no opportunity for advancement, no pay raise either. The shifts are really shaky, in peak season shifts are plenty but in the off season you hardly get any hours.
Pros
Clean, Happy, Artsy
Cons
Unreliable Hours
Good Work environment
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 January 2017
Flexible hours after months of working, great fun place to work at, good discounts and perks. Great work environment with other co workers
Pros
flexible hours and great environment
Cons
no full time, no benefits
Fun to work at
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 February 2017
Really fun to work

Good discounts sometimes.

easy not too busy besides Christmas.

The managaers are pretty cool and chill

good salary and hours.
Good atmosphere between management and employees
STOCK PERSON (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 October 2016
I enjoyed my time there, The work was often varied which kept it interesting. Wages not bad. Encouragement was existent. People mostly smiled. Employees were encouraged to learn.
Pros
Fun
Cons
was hard/ impossible to get on full time in order to have benefits
Great place to work if you are creative, not so great for pay if you live alone.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 August 2016
I enjoy working there for the most part, co-workers are great, pay and benefits not so much. If you are sharing rent with other people then it is a good place to work, especially if you are creative.
Pros
Get to be around other artists and art supplies, 30% discount on almost everything.
Cons
low wages, low hours
letting staff know you have arrived. Straighen area, let customer know your till is open
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  South Common Edmonton9 June 2016
Letting staff know,you have arrived, told which cash to start on.
Mistakes on the register (voiding out a transaction)
Good to work with, coworkers. Helpful when needed. Floor staff,not very prompt for a price check.
Having to do a price check, with other customers waiting.
Pros
Praise for doing a good job.
Cons
No one willing to go the extra mile. And do a price check, for another area.
Good place to work while still in school
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON21 March 2017
Working at Michaels has allowed me to further my customer experience, and it is good to have as a part time job while still in school. Everyday is different but its always fun and all the staff is friendly and easy going.
Pros
work life balance, work environment
Cons
short shifts, little advancement
Creative and fun place
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB28 February 2017
I loved working at michaels maybe because I was an artist but it was fun and there were a lot of other co workers that were creative as well! Management was nice though! I can't say though it's a good job for those trying to make a living because it pays very low and they are only required to give you 3 hour shifts. You could also go a week or two without any shifts sometimes and there's no set schedule of time so you can work 3am one day and 12 pm the next. But if you're just going to school and working they understand for students so it's great.
Pros
Management, co-workers, creative output, great for first job
Cons
Short hours, no set scheduling
Great Environment and Employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON23 January 2017
This job was a great experience for me as a high school student.
I gained valuable experience in cashiering and dealing with customers. The management was very reliable and friendly and it was easy to come to them if I was experiencing any issues or was confused about something. In this environment I did not feel that any of my coworkers judged me or talked badly about me at any time. I felt very safe, comfortable, and happy throughout my time with this company. If I had to choose the hardest part of the job, it would be the fact that sometimes customers can get angry and talk very badly to you, but in the end it is very valuable customer service experience to be able to learn how to deal with situations like that. The best part of the job I'd say was when you could help a customer find the exact product they wanted, and they would be so grateful and happy which was a great feeling. Overall a great experience and I'd recommend it to anyone.
Cons
Sometimes not enough hours during certain times of the year
Unorganized and could use new leadership
Merchandising product (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON14 March 2017
A typical day at work really was dependent on if there was or was not a truck, if a truck did come the day is busy and chaotic due to low space for product and unnecessarily strict product guidelines. Management was decent, my boss himself was a great boss, he had a good time at work while making it productive and educational. Other higher up management was non-existent in everyday work and simply did not do much in that aspect. The job was pretty decent for the most part just the people were not the most inclusive to new workers.
Pros
Great boss, Simple tasks
Cons
Poor organization, lack of leadership
Typical retail job.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 August 2016
Typical day at work:
- Providing customer service to help customers identify products, direct them to appropriate departments, and recommend additional products or alternatives through knowledge of products and store
- Multi-tasking between different positions and tasks

What I learned:
- Because customers come from all walks of life, being open minded, culturally competent, and patient is needed
- To work as part of a team and individually
- To juggle different tasks and positions at the same time; cross-trained in different positions (cashier, sales associate, replenishment staff, support staff, class programs)
- To work under a face-paced environment during peak hours
- The importance of peers through mentoring and training other employees

- Management can be a hit or miss
- Pay is good for retail, with annual raises
- Flexible hours for students
- No benefits unless full-time employee
- Work hours vary, depending on position, sales for the week, and personal availability/schedules
- Duties vary depending on what is needed for the greater good of the business

Hardest part of the job:
- Lots is expected out of employees with little to no rewards or incentives
- Not a rewarding job
- Meeting e-mail and customer satisfaction quotas
- Not getting work duties done in time due to being cross-trained in different areas, juggling multiple tasks at once, or short-staffed
- Being on my feet all day

Most enjoyable part of the job:
- Co-workers who make work fun and enjoyable
- Co-workers who are understanding and encouraging
- Most enjoyable
  more... part of the job is being able to do arts and crafts with children
- Interacting with customers who understand that working retail isn't always easy and is often under-appreciated
- Potlucks that occur very now and then
Fun people to work with
Captain of Fine Arts/Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
I only worked here a short time, but I worked the early morning shift, receiving the truck, stocking shelves, following floor plans when changing things around for each season, and keeping the shelves clean. The staff was great fun to work with, the management that I worked with was good and I absolutely loved working there. I loved setting up the new floor plans for the seasonal isles, i loved keeping things clean and organized. The only part I didn't like about the job was receiving the truck in the middle of winter, as it gets extremely cold, and the fact it wasn't full time.
No hours/ unreasonable demands
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 November 2016
I truly do not like working for this company. No employee recognition. In need of a second job just to pay for essential living expenses including rent, food, even razors to shave. Extremely unorganized. Low Moral with every employee. Very outdated working processes. Took over 4 weeks before i was given anything to sign for working at Michael's. Talked down to by warehouse manager because of the unreasonable demands from upper management. Poor communication between managers, also between management/employees and employee to employee. Extremely tired of this company.
overworked but loved co-workers
Replenishment Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada29 December 2016
Enjoyed working with a wonderful crew. Some management were wonderful to work with. Very high turnover rate of employees and managers often due to being over worked and under payed most of the time. Very few hours for part time staff outside of Christmas time. The company doesn't seem to screen their managers very well for qualification.
Pros
loved my co-workers
Cons
over worked, low pay, few hours for part time staff, high turnover rate of employees & managers
Busy and fun place to work with an okay pay.
FT Framer (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON28 December 2016
I actually really like working at Michaels, but I wish they paid better. Working full-time and not being able to afford the basics like an apartment and a car really gets to you.

Working in framing is really fun, if that's the kind of work you like to do. It's a lot of sales, and a little bit of making frames, but it's still a lot of fun if you're good with your hands and like sales in low pressure environments.

Co-workers, at least at the store I work at, are actually awesome. Which is something I'm not used to. They're helpful, but not all that communicative which is fine if you don't mind that sort of thing.

The job isn't hard because I enjoy it, but some of my coworkers seem to have trouble staying organized. On the other hand I love the fact that I'm always busy with stuff to do at Michaels, it's never boring.
Pros
enjoyable, creative
Cons
low salaries, communication issues

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9