Michaels Employee Reviews

great place to work!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 April 2017
A typical day at work would entail helping out customers and providing great customer service! A general background of arts and crafts is needed. highly reccommended
fun workplace, no benefit, managment issues.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC20 April 2017
Overall I loved the job. What I did, the customers I worked with, and products I sold. Only reason I am looking for a new job is because the manager at my specific store is unfair to everyone under them. Moreover almost everyone is hired and kept part-time so they cannot attain any medical benefits.
Working at Micheals
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  130 Country Village Rd NE Coventry Hill Centre19 April 2017
Working at Micheals was a fun and a very good learning experience.I was working during the holiday season (oct - nov) it can be very chaotic at times.
Very fun place to woke if you are willing to put in an effort.
Cashier/Recovery (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON6 April 2017
I worked here before and honestly the only reason why I left was because I moved away this job was very very very accommodating to being sick to meeting days off and for school life as well.
Management was very nice and if I had the opportunity I would go back and work for them again.
Pros
Nice co-workers.
Cons
Competitive work hours.
corporate does not care about you.
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 April 2017
corporate constantly jerks you around, there is no stability or chance to advance. there is zero positivity from higher management. There are no real benefits working here, there is no such thing as policy, corporate just wants to make the customers happy, which then lets the customers think they can walk all over the associates.
Pros
discount
Cons
everything
Expanded my love of Crafting
Front End Supervisor, Department Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 April 2017
Michaels was all about team work and getting tasks done. Holidays were especially interesting as they were so busy. We were always well staffed and had excellent management backing us.
Fun and relaxing environment with great colleagues
Cashier and stocking associate (Former Employee) –  West Vancouver, BC1 April 2017
I enjoyed working at Michaels a lot, because of how the managers interact with us and the work environment itself. I enjoy being in a creative environment and the company has never failed to give me just that, if not more.
Decent work, rough hours
Replenishment Staff / Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 April 2017
I liked the physical aspect of the work, but the hours were too difficult to manage with a family. I often started work at 3 or 4 AM and once I got home, I needed a nap. Then I had to go to bed so early, I hardly saw my daughter. There were about 4 midnight shifts as well that ran from about midnight until the store opened at 9 AM. I survived one holiday season with these brutal hours, only be have my hours cut to almost nothing after the New Year.
Could Improve
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON23 March 2017
Their was way to many coupons that were difficult for both the customer and the workers to understand. As well their was not enough training for the staff to be able to understand how the store works in its entirety.
Good place to gain customer service experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB23 March 2017
Majority of the time was at the till ringing customers through. Knowing weekly/daily deals and coupons were important because they are one of the reasons michaels is so popular. As employees we needed to get customer emails and so in every transaction we asked for their email, even if we already had it. This could be stressful sometimes because there was a pressure to keep up email percentages.
When it wasn't busy there were other things to do such as making sure the till area looked nice and putting returns in the sorting bins.
Pros
Great employee discount
Cons
not a lot of hours/flexibility
Good place to work while still in school
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON21 March 2017
Working at Michaels has allowed me to further my customer experience, and it is good to have as a part time job while still in school. Everyday is different but its always fun and all the staff is friendly and easy going.
Pros
work life balance, work environment
Cons
short shifts, little advancement
Good starter job, but little opportunity to advance
Floor Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC15 March 2017
I liked my coworkers and supervisors but my manager was not there a lot and seemed to favour certain employees even if other employees did a good/better job. The shifts were either really short or really long and they were at weird times (5am-8am, 11am-7pm etc).
Pros
Decent discount, coworkers were great
Cons
Absent managment, little opportunity for advancement/raises
Unorganized and could use new leadership
Merchandising product (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON14 March 2017
A typical day at work really was dependent on if there was or was not a truck, if a truck did come the day is busy and chaotic due to low space for product and unnecessarily strict product guidelines. Management was decent, my boss himself was a great boss, he had a good time at work while making it productive and educational. Other higher up management was non-existent in everyday work and simply did not do much in that aspect. The job was pretty decent for the most part just the people were not the most inclusive to new workers.
Pros
Great boss, Simple tasks
Cons
Poor organization, lack of leadership
Be aware
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ontario12 March 2017
It was a fun place to work however as time went on they were trying to run this company like it is its own country.
The ZVP for Zone 5 needs to chill out. Unfortunately it reflects back to the DMs whom which basically 2 in the GTA are good people and one an idiot.
The expectations are unrealistic. The hours long and no work life balance.
They give you 3 days off in lieu for working extra mandatory days at Christmas which they just fly under the radar for based on labour law.
After a long tenior and deciding to leave, I have 0 regrets.
The culture needs to change.
Pros
vacation pay benefits.
Cons
long hours treated poorly almost militant
Excellent
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 March 2017
Michaels was a fun place to work at. If you like arts and crafts or are open to lots of new hobbies! I worked with a great bunch of people so we always had fun and a great time with our manager who was kind and considerate in regards to school schedules and personal commitments
Don't work here!
Cash Office Specialist/Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC7 March 2017
This is an okay place to work if you want a temp part-time job, but working there long term will erode your soul. The corporate structure treats their frontline people like they're disposable; thus there is high turnover. Management are definitely not on your side, and you will be frustrated by the frequent changes in company policy. There are no benefits; they don't even take Employee of the Month seriously. They're all about the bottom line.
Pros
Employee discount (25%)
Cons
Everything else
much improvement needed
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB6 March 2017
At the beginning i loved working at Michaels and all the managers were great. But it all changed and the relationship between managers (including store mamanger) and associates wasn't good. Managers were constantly gossiping about associates. Managers would smoke pot outside the receiving door, which would then make a section of the store smell like pot. I've even had customers complain about the smell to me. Associates are scared to talk to managers about problems/issues because some are quite rude to associates, they will yell and swear at you for no reason. As well, hours are not evenly distributed between associates. People who all have open availability would only get 4-8.5 hours a week while the managers favourites would get 16 and just blame it on them not having enough hours to give out. There are just too many problems with this company at the location i was at.
Pros
there is none
Cons
management, low pay, no benefits, hours
Creative and fun place
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB28 February 2017
I loved working at michaels maybe because I was an artist but it was fun and there were a lot of other co workers that were creative as well! Management was nice though! I can't say though it's a good job for those trying to make a living because it pays very low and they are only required to give you 3 hour shifts. You could also go a week or two without any shifts sometimes and there's no set schedule of time so you can work 3am one day and 12 pm the next. But if you're just going to school and working they understand for students so it's great.
Pros
Management, co-workers, creative output, great for first job
Cons
Short hours, no set scheduling
Great Starter Job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON28 February 2017
It was my very first part time job, it held me over through college, because the shifts were short. You don't get very many hours as it is. which was great at first but now that school is coming to a close I need better hours. The discount is great if you are a student or an avid crafter as it works with the stores coupons.
Pros
great staff, short hours, employee discount
Cons
no benefits, rude customers
organized and positive environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 February 2017
i was continuously surprised by the amount of positivity within employee relationships and customers who came into the store. It was truly a place that never felt like "work" to me.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9