Michaels Employee Reviews in Canada

Job satisfaction working with customers for project completion
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QCJuly 21, 2016
We would start with communication with store manager or assistant store manager for directives for the day. Usually restocking of shelves upon receipt of merchandise. Customer service priorities.
I learned a lot about the retail environment from budgeting to scheduling and also the inventory replenishment. Friday would be add set change over which was very fun to do. A daily function was to greet and offer customer service to clients. I found that very rewarding as they would usually come back and show me pictures or tell me of their experiences.
Hardest part of the job was the weekly changing of our schedules , example never knowing when you work.
It was a great team and enjoyed working together.
Pros
Up to date product knowledge, learning new crafts
Cons
Shift work
Amazing costumers and co-workers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NBJuly 9, 2016
Everyone working there is always happy and kind. 99% of the costumers that come into the store are also happy and kind. I have made a lot of friends working at Micheals.
Fun and encouraging work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONJuly 6, 2016
I had a great time working here. My co-workers were friendly as well as my managers. It was rewarding helping customers find what they need as well as making sure they left happy.
Pros
Lovely work environment, Friendly staff, Nice items
Okay
Replenishment Team Member (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABJune 29, 2016
Working here I gained experience and experienced how hard it is to work retail and stock the shelves in a timely and efficient manner,
Cons
few hoyrs
Wish I never worked there!
Sales Floor Associate and Custom Framer (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ONJune 26, 2016
Having a Bachelors degree in Fine Arts I thought Michaels would be a great and fun place to work. I have worked for other retail chains in the past with around fifteen years in retail. My husband had the chance for a military posting out of area, so I left my job of nine years.
After a year of looking I finally found a job at Michaels. Great with my creative background this should be fun! It started out o.k. Until a new store manager arrived. I made it known from the beginning with both the new and old manager that I was was on a Military posting and in time will be moving back. They were both understanding, at least I thought!

It came time for my return home, instead of two weeks notice I gave two months! The next day my hours dropped to 26 a week to 18. By the time I got to my last two weeks of work my hours dropped to 3 hours a week. When I asked my manager about my hours, I was told it was because I was moving. And he wouldn't waste giving me hours. This was said in front of other employees and management. I took the matter to head office and still nothing! It has been a year now!

I am a military wife, mother and an artist and I no longer even shop there! I will never work for a company that treats their employees this way.
Pros
30% discount, easy to get extra hours
Cons
Bad scheduling, no weekends off
Fun, Exciting, Challenging, Friendly
Certified Custom Framer - Silver certification (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJune 16, 2016
As a certified framer everyday was different. Our customers would supply us with a variety of different types of art to frame which made it both exciting and challenging. My co-workers are amazing we are all like a big family which is nice to see in such a big cooperation. I would say that the hardest part of my job is when pieces of art are for memorials of family members of all ages. The most enjoyable part is seeing the final outcome regardless of the situation. I have learned so many different things the most important is listening to the customer and learning how to read in between the lines as far as what the customer is wanting there piece to look like along with making it fit in there home and or someone's décor.
Cons
Hours are not stabalized
Great place
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Truro, NSJune 13, 2016
working at Michaes was a fun time. getting to work with the kids taught me that you can have fun at work. I was a little on the uneasy side because the hours were given out weirdly.
Pros
able to learn and grow.
Cons
low hours for not getting emails.
letting staff know you have arrived. Straighen area, let customer know your till is open
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  South Common EdmontonJune 9, 2016
Letting staff know,you have arrived, told which cash to start on.
Mistakes on the register (voiding out a transaction)
Good to work with, coworkers. Helpful when needed. Floor staff,not very prompt for a price check.
Having to do a price check, with other customers waiting.
Pros
Praise for doing a good job.
Cons
No one willing to go the extra mile. And do a price check, for another area.
Great atmosphere
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NSJune 9, 2016
Great staff to work with, job wasn't necessarily easy but it definitely wasn't difficult. Received great guidance from supervisors and managers.
Practical, hands - on workplace with a productive envoirnment
Mechandiser / Set-Up Crew (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 8, 2016
On a typical day at work, me and my co - workers strive to achieve the day's objective. I enjoyed the creative and productive environment. But the management was new and was not able to co assist with the team due to inexperience in the workplace. Yet my favourite part was doing interior designing in the store.
Pros
Store Display, and a creative envoirnment
Cons
New Management -
Loved it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 8, 2016
I loved working here. Very fun place to work at. An excellent choice for people who are looking for their first retail/cashier job and don't know where to start.
Pros
Good management, fun and creative environment, strong team culture, some room for growth
Cons
Low pay
Customer Service
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ONMay 22, 2016
Customer service is an asset in this company. Peaks and lows and when its busy time we must learn to be happy at all times. Very nice company to work for
Loved working there
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONMay 21, 2016
I learned how to create shelves,
learnd to stock the shelves
learn how to open and close the store by cleaning and tidying the store up at schedled times.
great job
Framing Associate (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ONMay 19, 2016
great staff to work with here. the work isnt too difficult and the management is great. it was a very enjoyable job. the environment is very welcoming
Friendly Associates and Great Atmosphere
Framing Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMay 17, 2016
Great work environment with managers who appreciate and recognize employees.
Fun place to work and learn about guests new projects.
Warm workplace
Cashier & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 16, 2016
A very organized and well managed workplace. Waves of customers would appear often, but the team handles it and cleans the aftermath with ease and exceptional service.
Pros
Very friendly and welcoming environment
Cons
An hour would feel like five
Was able to work with kids, which I enjoy
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMay 4, 2016
Usually the only cashier during the weekday; was a very high paced. Learned to be quick and efficient with my duties. Learned how to help customers in a professional manor, while providing them with excellent customer service.
Pros
Learning to craft
Cons
Not enough hours
Flexible with work schedule's
Cashier and Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONMay 4, 2016
I've worked as a cashier for 2 years and as a custom framer for approximately a year and half. Policies are high in value and staff are very friendly.
Cons
Short hours
Fun work environment
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONApril 22, 2016
fast paced environment, must be able to handle difficult situations, good management team, friendly staff. Hardest part of the job is grumpy customers, best part; the people you'll meet/work with
Pros
short shifts
Cons
short shifts
great staff but extremely horrid management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABApril 19, 2016
management purposefully forced me out of shifts due to a simple clash of personality regardless of my stats being rather remarkable.
Pros
great staff, fun environment
Cons
management

2.9