Michaels Employee Reviews in Canada

Craft Store with amazing people
Floral Designer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
Recently I've been moved to the position as a Florist because of my ability to adapt to any environment and work hard at the task assigned to me. I am very creative; this attribute adds to the enjoyment of the job. I get to create things out of simple materials. Management is great. The people placed in management work hard to make sure you're on task and are always there when you need them. All my co-workers are kind and funny, they make a hard day enjoyable.
Pros
pizza lunches occasionally, Co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours, the pay
Productive but bad shifts management
Sales Associate/Cashier/Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Great place to work, friendly and helpful people, but very random and few shifts given, training provided is minimal. Management is very caring and supportive. They teach you the basics of Cash and framing but a lot of it is learn on your own. Customers are enjoyable for the most part. Breaks are short. Hardest part of the job would be the lack of staff during busy holidays schedules, Enjoyable part would be the friendly environment.
Pros
Easy going, very little stress
Cons
short irregular weekly shifts, few benefits
Fin place, fun people, fun customers
Seasonal Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 10, 2016
I worked an early shift at Michaels, setting out product and displays before we opened. I also worked part of the open shift, and helped customers as I was dealing with product. Coworkers all had interest in different arts and we were all able to offer our help and insight to different customers. We each had a personal radio with which to communicate with our coworkers on the floor.
The hardest part of the job may have been trying to get an organizational project done while still offering help to customers that need it, which could make a one-day project take a week. Management was open to conversation and suggestions regarding the way things were done and were fairly flexible when it came to our schedules.
Pros
learning about new forms of art, offering my own expertise
Cons
not being entirely knowledgeable about certain arts, glitter
A good Craft Store
Replenishment, Truck Unload & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCOctober 23, 2015
Michaels is a reasonably good craft store with a serious bent towards attempting to give good customer service. All positions require customer interactions and the pay, while not competitive at starting is good enough when long term is achieved. The company is on the mend with the advancement of some motivated personnel in head office now... much more so than it was in the past. A solid place to sink your time into, especially if you like crafts.
Pros
Craft Store
Cons
Craft Store
Creative workplace
Full Time Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 28, 2016
I greatly enjoyed working with this company. Being a creative individual, the workplace and the product I dealt with was positive and the management was always willing to answer questions and help out their employees.
Pros
Great associate discount, friendly fellow employees
Cons
Employees were made to clean the bathrooms, sometimes without the proper protection.
Fun, Exciting, Challenging, Friendly
Certified Custom Framer - Silver certification (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJune 16, 2016
As a certified framer everyday was different. Our customers would supply us with a variety of different types of art to frame which made it both exciting and challenging. My co-workers are amazing we are all like a big family which is nice to see in such a big cooperation. I would say that the hardest part of my job is when pieces of art are for memorials of family members of all ages. The most enjoyable part is seeing the final outcome regardless of the situation. I have learned so many different things the most important is listening to the customer and learning how to read in between the lines as far as what the customer is wanting there piece to look like along with making it fit in there home and or someone's décor.
Cons
Hours are not stabalized
Very fun and enjoyable workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 1, 2016
Very fun and enjoyable work place.
Fantastic management.
Company really appreciates the staff.
Best part of the job was meeting all the creative people and seeing how much they love talking about what they do.
Pros
Amazing company to work for
Cons
no complaints
plenty busy when hours are available
Replenishment / Stocking Shelves (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 14, 2016
Being a retail place of business, when the sales are down, the hours go down as well except for management. Most people cannot keep working when only offered 10 hours a week. I love working here , the atmosphere is great when hours are up, then when hours are down, the workers get sloppy in their jobs.
Pros
enjoy the hours
Cons
lack of hours when sales are down
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Working at Michael's taught me how to plan and coordinate events within the store. I learn how to manage my time within a very limited time frame. It was hard work but I felt accomplished at the end of a day's work. I worked at Michael's while attending University and they were excellent about scheduling shifts around classes and very accommodating during exam periods.
Pros
Innovative, creative
Cons
Long hours standing
Michaels was a fun, artistic environment.
Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONFebruary 21, 2016
Working at Michaels was very interesting. The store was moving locations so they needed people to hep build the store. I was able to help in the creation of this Michaels store, I learned about how to put stores together, and to appreciate the effort that goes into it.

For a while, a typical day was to go in to the store, build some shelves, make sure the plan was right, and stock the shelves and walls. After that, a typical day would be to walk around the store to see if any customers needed assistance, or to work on cash.

It was so cool to be able to learn new things about peoples' art. I learned so much about yarn, scrapbooking, glass fusing, it was really a great environment. I once spent an hour with a customer because she was really brining me into her current project, and was asking my opinion about things.

The hardest part of the job was definitely setting up the store. The hours were long and not exciting, but it was amazing once the store was built to know that I was apart of that.

My co-workers were all incredibly friendly. If anyone needed help, someone would be there. Even in the breakroom there was always happy chatting going on, very good people to get along with.

One problem I had was with the management. They were not very organized and this caused a lot of problems with staffing. The managers were very nice people, they just needed to get on the same page of what was going on in the store.
Fun place to work while surrounded by various hobbies
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 13, 2015
Long hours, but rewarded with satisfaction of being able to assist customers with finding the right tools to complete their projects. Further satisfaction with getting to know both staff and customers. Somewhat more stressful during major holidays, especially Christmas, but rewarding when clients smile after they find what they need. Loved being around crafts, as it is a passion of mine, and never had the same day twice.
It was alright
Seasonal Stock Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ONApril 8, 2016
I was hired as a TEMP for Christmas help. I worked in stock replenishment. I was "supposed:" to be in the early mornings unloading new stock and placing it out on the floor. I only ever worked that shift ONCE in the four months I was there. I usually worked as a regular sales associate during store hours or closing shifts cleaning the store. It was ok because I am a "people person" and I like people. After all, customers are why you have the job. But just so you know, if you get hired for one position, does not mean that will be the position you do. The wages were minimum wage which sucks if your trying to make a living on your own. If your sharing your living costs with a spouse or common law partner, its good extra cash or grocery money. If your a student, living at home, it should also be alight. But if your single, living on your, providing for yourself and paying rent or mortgage, this job alone will not cut it. Other than the money, I did enjoy the job. I like arts and crafts. I learned about other arts and crafts that I did not "make" or "know about" before working there and I like working with people.
Pros
Arts, Crafts, People
Cons
Low wages, worked in another area other than what I was hired for
letting staff know you have arrived. Straighen area, let customer know your till is open
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  South Common EdmontonJune 9, 2016
Letting staff know,you have arrived, told which cash to start on.
Mistakes on the register (voiding out a transaction)
Good to work with, coworkers. Helpful when needed. Floor staff,not very prompt for a price check.
Having to do a price check, with other customers waiting.
Pros
Praise for doing a good job.
Cons
No one willing to go the extra mile. And do a price check, for another area.
caotic stressful place to work
FRONT END SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABJanuary 29, 2016
I was hired to be in charge of the front end of the store along with all the cashiers. I was not trained or given a proper job description of my resonsibilities
Pros
michaels discount
Cons
more management
Practical, hands - on workplace with a productive envoirnment
Mechandiser / Set-Up Crew (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 8, 2016
On a typical day at work, me and my co - workers strive to achieve the day's objective. I enjoyed the creative and productive environment. But the management was new and was not able to co assist with the team due to inexperience in the workplace. Yet my favourite part was doing interior designing in the store.
Pros
Store Display, and a creative envoirnment
Cons
New Management -
Fun work enviroment, educational, excellent customer service/knowledge
Pet Care Assosiate (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, ABOctober 30, 2015
Pet Smart was an excellent company to work for. The training was thorough, managers were patient and very supportive. It was personable and every one got along. We were extremely involved with our customers, providing great information and assistance for their pets. They treated me well as an employee, fair with wages and hours.
Pros
good hours, kind work enviroment, great customer service
Cons
no benifits
friendly people
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 19, 2016
the work is fun the people are nice the management is very understanding flexible hours for people who go to school easy to learn the ropes may need better communicators
Pros
friendly workers
Cons
no full time
Good Company
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABDecember 9, 2015
Michaels has changed quite a bit since i worked there last the team is all new and there have been significant renovations. However when i was employed i enjoyed my time with the company. The staff was good and there was a great work/life balance.
Worst company ever
Custom Frame Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ONJanuary 22, 2016
By far the worst company I have ever worked for. Fist, they don't tell you you are responsible for more then just custom frames. You get the custom department you have to look after but they also give you the frames off the floor you are responsible for ( they don't tell you that up front ).
Second, after being there as the department manager for almost a year they have still never sent me for training, everything I do I taught myself as they will not spend the money to train people correctly.
Third, when the store is slow and they don't think they will make their day money wise they cancel all floor staff , you can't get your own work done because the customer can not find anyone else on the floor so they come to you. ( I guess to michaels saving $50 on having someone on the floor is better then having happy customers that can find help on the floor).
Fourth, michaels was handed a huge fine last summer for how they did their pricing on custom frames, so instead of just abiding by the law they have come up with a way to skirt around it by using coupons we give you so you never have to pay full price for custom framing.
Fifth, after putting up with everything ( no training, bad hours, no help ect...) for a year that they give you they tell you that you will now be the only manager in the store that gets no weekend off ever , that you can't have 2 days off in a row .
Do yourself a favor and stay as far away from this company as you can! This company has no business ethics at all.
Pros
Get to see some unique and amazing artwork
Cons
Bad management, No training, No ethics, No weekends off
Love my Job!
cashier (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AlbertaOctober 28, 2015
I started working at Michaels about a month ago and absolutely love my job. The people are wonderful, management is great and I love dealing with the customers day to day. I do have an interest in crafting so I find it enjoyable to see what comes through my cash each time. I would highly recommend working for Michaels.
Pros
Management, hours, customers
Cons
So far, none to date.