Michaels Employee Review

Fun workplace, not a career
Floral Designer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB 26 June 2013
I learned great customer service skills

Very fun, creative work environment
Pros
Fun, creative
Cons
Weekends, low pay

Other Michaels Employee Reviews

Fun place to work, but pay and compensation is lacking.
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 December 2017
A lower management position like mine is probably one of the worst positions to have in this company; you're responsible for a lot, but get paid very little. You also get stuck with all of the closing and weekend shifts so say goodbye to any sort of a social life (If you ask for a weekend off it becomes a huge issue). After 6 years with the company, one would think that I'd be compensated a little more than just a dollar more than minimum wage, but when I asked about a raise when minimum went up, I was met with "it's not in the budget" by upper management.

I'm constantly being reprimanded for shortcomings by the marketing team; for example Michaels offers children's birthday parties. If they're scheduled on the days that Michaels decides to throw a last minute event, I get in trouble for accommodating the customer and not running the event that was planned last minute and has no interest by the general public. It's ridiculous. District managers who are rarely in the store also get on you for menial things when they don't understand that each individual store has different needs and ways of running. They don't want to listen to your feedback and suggestions. Also do you want to make a complaint to HR? Better believe it's not going to be anonymous even if you ask it to be.

The other employees, creative atmosphere, and staff discount are what make this job great, but not being remotely appreciated after 6 years of service is frustrating, and based on the hours that I put in, I expect more than minimum wage and nagging all the time.
Pros
Awesome staff discount
Cons
Horrible shifts, low wages
Absolutely awful
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Kelowna5 December 2017
Awful management. Refuses to send ROE for months. Poor customer service. If you try to call they will put you on hold for 30 minutes until call disconnects.
Pros
Cons
Management customer service hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9