Michaels Employee Reviews

It is Nice...
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON19 January 2017
Michaels, although I enjoy working there as I am an artistic person, is just an okay place to work. My location has no opportunity for advancement, no pay raise either. The shifts are really shaky, in peak season shifts are plenty but in the off season you hardly get any hours.
Pros
Clean, Happy, Artsy
Cons
Unreliable Hours
Good Work environment
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 January 2017
Flexible hours after months of working, great fun place to work at, good discounts and perks. Great work environment with other co workers
Pros
flexible hours and great environment
Cons
no full time, no benefits
Good atmosphere between management and employees
STOCK PERSON (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 October 2016
I enjoyed my time there, The work was often varied which kept it interesting. Wages not bad. Encouragement was existent. People mostly smiled. Employees were encouraged to learn.
Pros
Fun
Cons
was hard/ impossible to get on full time in order to have benefits
Great place to work if you are creative, not so great for pay if you live alone.
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS15 August 2016
I enjoy working there for the most part, co-workers are great, pay and benefits not so much. If you are sharing rent with other people then it is a good place to work, especially if you are creative.
Pros
Get to be around other artists and art supplies, 30% discount on almost everything.
Cons
low wages, low hours
letting staff know you have arrived. Straighen area, let customer know your till is open
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  South Common Edmonton9 June 2016
Letting staff know,you have arrived, told which cash to start on.
Mistakes on the register (voiding out a transaction)
Good to work with, coworkers. Helpful when needed. Floor staff,not very prompt for a price check.
Having to do a price check, with other customers waiting.
Pros
Praise for doing a good job.
Cons
No one willing to go the extra mile. And do a price check, for another area.
Typical retail job.
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 August 2016
Typical day at work:
- Providing customer service to help customers identify products, direct them to appropriate departments, and recommend additional products or alternatives through knowledge of products and store
- Multi-tasking between different positions and tasks

What I learned:
- Because customers come from all walks of life, being open minded, culturally competent, and patient is needed
- To work as part of a team and individually
- To juggle different tasks and positions at the same time; cross-trained in different positions (cashier, sales associate, replenishment staff, support staff, class programs)
- To work under a face-paced environment during peak hours
- The importance of peers through mentoring and training other employees

- Management can be a hit or miss
- Pay is good for retail, with annual raises
- Flexible hours for students
- No benefits unless full-time employee
- Work hours vary, depending on position, sales for the week, and personal availability/schedules
- Duties vary depending on what is needed for the greater good of the business

Hardest part of the job:
- Lots is expected out of employees with little to no rewards or incentives
- Not a rewarding job
- Meeting e-mail and customer satisfaction quotas
- Not getting work duties done in time due to being cross-trained in different areas, juggling multiple tasks at once, or short-staffed
- Being on my feet all day

Most enjoyable part of the job:
- Co-workers who make work fun and enjoyable
- Co-workers who are understanding and encouraging
- Most enjoyable
  more... part of the job is being able to do arts and crafts with children
- Interacting with customers who understand that working retail isn't always easy and is often under-appreciated
- Potlucks that occur very now and then
Fun people to work with
Captain of Fine Arts/Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2016
I only worked here a short time, but I worked the early morning shift, receiving the truck, stocking shelves, following floor plans when changing things around for each season, and keeping the shelves clean. The staff was great fun to work with, the management that I worked with was good and I absolutely loved working there. I loved setting up the new floor plans for the seasonal isles, i loved keeping things clean and organized. The only part I didn't like about the job was receiving the truck in the middle of winter, as it gets extremely cold, and the fact it wasn't full time.
No hours/ unreasonable demands
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 November 2016
I truly do not like working for this company. No employee recognition. In need of a second job just to pay for essential living expenses including rent, food, even razors to shave. Extremely unorganized. Low Moral with every employee. Very outdated working processes. Took over 4 weeks before i was given anything to sign for working at Michael's. Talked down to by warehouse manager because of the unreasonable demands from upper management. Poor communication between managers, also between management/employees and employee to employee. Extremely tired of this company.
Productive but bad shifts management
Sales Associate/Cashier/Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON3 February 2016
Great place to work, friendly and helpful people, but very random and few shifts given, training provided is minimal. Management is very caring and supportive. They teach you the basics of Cash and framing but a lot of it is learn on your own. Customers are enjoyable for the most part. Breaks are short. Hardest part of the job would be the lack of staff during busy holidays schedules, Enjoyable part would be the friendly environment.
Pros
Easy going, very little stress
Cons
short irregular weekly shifts, few benefits
Busy and fun place to work with an okay pay.
FT Framer (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON28 December 2016
I actually really like working at Michaels, but I wish they paid better. Working full-time and not being able to afford the basics like an apartment and a car really gets to you.

Working in framing is really fun, if that's the kind of work you like to do. It's a lot of sales, and a little bit of making frames, but it's still a lot of fun if you're good with your hands and like sales in low pressure environments.

Co-workers, at least at the store I work at, are actually awesome. Which is something I'm not used to. They're helpful, but not all that communicative which is fine if you don't mind that sort of thing.

The job isn't hard because I enjoy it, but some of my coworkers seem to have trouble staying organized. On the other hand I love the fact that I'm always busy with stuff to do at Michaels, it's never boring.
Pros
enjoyable, creative
Cons
low salaries, communication issues
overworked but loved co-workers
Replenishment Manager (Current Employee) –  Canada29 December 2016
Enjoyed working with a wonderful crew. Some management were wonderful to work with. Very high turnover rate of employees and managers often due to being over worked and under payed most of the time. Very few hours for part time staff outside of Christmas time. The company doesn't seem to screen their managers very well for qualification.
Pros
loved my co-workers
Cons
over worked, low pay, few hours for part time staff, high turnover rate of employees & managers
The worst place I have ever worked
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON16 August 2016
A typical day working here is being told you're not doing good enough or you don't know enough compared to someone who has been there for years before you. I was forced to take on more than I could handle while management sat around doing nothing. You call the manager for help and they ignore you or take their time getting to you so if customers get angry it's you who looks bad and not them. The quality of work you put in means nothing compared to the quantity of emails your collect for the store which is absolutely ridiculous. Management also chooses favourites. I've never been happier than I was when I quit this job.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Favouritism, no hours, poor management
Fun place to work
Replenishment Clerk (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON27 October 2016
Other than getting up at 4 a.m to start at 5 a.m. for replenishment, it's a fun place to work. The other downfall is that they don't use a radio station, they use a loop track so you hear the same holiday tunes day in and day out unfortunately.

Replenishment could be done in the evening as opposed to in the morning, and I think this would be beneficial, especially for employees who live on private roads in bad storms. As these employees can't get to work. Even regular roads aren't plowed this early.

For this job you have everything explained and after a while your left to your own devices, and you get to set-up store displays. Which is really exciting! Downfall to that being that customers tear it apart really quick.

I would work full-time at Michaels.
Pros
lunch hour, fun environment, creative outlet
Cons
extremely early, loop track
Productive, quick pace with weekly ticket draws for money
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB10 January 2017
Micheals was a very fun place to work, the work itself is very repetitive and very easy to do. the other workers leave you alone and allow you to do your job and are very nice. management can be a little hard to approach but they run very efficiently. the whole job was very easy but also very fast.
Pros
good pay, short hours
Cons
replenishment is part time only
Poor place to work
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON9 January 2017
Poor wages. They pay minimum wage regardless of experience. Manager is age discriminate. Any seasonal help that was over 50 was released at the end of season. Younger people were kept on regardless of job performance. I would never work at this store again! Manager says one thing and does another.
Pros
Only plus was discount and fellow employees.
Cons
Organized and Beautiful. Lovely atmosphere.
Sales Associate, Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 December 2016
Warm introductions from co-workers, keeping organized and product knowledge, management was okay, stocking, the atmosphere of the store.
Pros
Knowledge about the products
Cons
No direct buses to East Hills, You can not review your schedule online or call and ask when you work
Wosrt management team i have ever seen
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St catharines12 November 2016
Management alway in bedlam,talk about staff negatively behind their backs in a condescending way
First day thrown onto cash with barely any training or
Supervision
No support from management
Pros
Emoloyee discount
Cons
Poor workplace due to poor management
A very rewarding job
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 September 2016
Michaels, overall was a very fun place to work. The team I was able to work with always made me feel very comfortable and at home. The managers were very fare about scheduling and had a great attitude. The hardest part about my job was having to handle upset costumers. However, the staff was always able to put a smile back on my face when I had had a bad day. I really enjoyed working for this company. It is a great place to work if you are just trying to save up some extra money.
I loved working here
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 January 2017
Even though I only worked here a few months, I loved it. I wish I could be a part of the Michael’s team for the long run. There are no complaints from working there. The management is great and the staff works really well together.
Job satisfaction working with customers for project completion
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC21 July 2016
We would start with communication with store manager or assistant store manager for directives for the day. Usually restocking of shelves upon receipt of merchandise. Customer service priorities.
I learned a lot about the retail environment from budgeting to scheduling and also the inventory replenishment. Friday would be add set change over which was very fun to do. A daily function was to greet and offer customer service to clients. I found that very rewarding as they would usually come back and show me pictures or tell me of their experiences.
Hardest part of the job was the weekly changing of our schedules , example never knowing when you work.
It was a great team and enjoyed working together.
Pros
Up to date product knowledge, learning new crafts
Cons
Shift work

2.9