Michaels Employee Reviews in Canada

• Salary/Benefits
Fun work environment
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee), Pickering, ONApril 22, 2016
Pros: short shifts
Cons: short shifts
fast paced environment, must be able to handle difficult situations, good management team, friendly staff. Hardest part of the job is grumpy customers, best part; the people you'll meet/work with
great staff but extremely horrid management
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Sherwood Park, ABApril 19, 2016
Pros: great staff, fun environment
Cons: management
management purposefully forced me out of shifts due to a simple clash of personality regardless of my stats being rather remarkable.
Productive and Fun
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Dartmouth Crossing, NSApril 16, 2016
I loved working there, my co workers were amazing people and a lot of fun to work with. it made working there better and and more enjoyable
It was alright
Seasonal Stock Replenishment (Former Employee), Ancaster, ONApril 8, 2016
Pros: Arts, Crafts, People
Cons: Low wages, worked in another area other than what I was hired for
I was hired as a TEMP for Christmas help. I worked in stock replenishment. I was "supposed:" to be in the early mornings unloading new stock and placing it out on the floor. I only ever worked that shift ONCE in the four months I was there. I usually worked as a regular sales associate during store hours or closing shifts cleaning the store. It was ok because I am a "people person" and I like people. After all, customers are why you have the job. But just so you know, if you get hired for one position, does not mean that will be the position you do. The wages were minimum wage which sucks if your trying to make a living on your own. If your sharing your living costs with a spouse or common law partner, its good extra cash or grocery money. If your a student, living at home, it should also be alight. But if your single, living on your, providing for yourself and paying rent or mortgage, this job alone will not cut it. Other than the money, I did enjoy the job. I like arts and crafts. I learned about other arts and crafts that I did not "make" or "know about" before working there and I like working with people.
Typical day
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee), Prince George, BCApril 5, 2016
Pros: Great environment, friendly associates
A typical day would be greeting and helping customers, working closely with associates.Organizing the front end and store events.The most enjoyable part of the job is belonging to a team.
Craft Store with amazing people
Floral Designer (Current Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
Pros: pizza lunches occasionally, Co-workers
Cons: Not enough hours, the pay
Recently I've been moved to the position as a Florist because of my ability to adapt to any environment and work hard at the task assigned to me. I am very creative; this attribute adds to the enjoyment of the job. I get to create things out of simple materials. Management is great. The people placed in management work hard to make sure you're on task and are always there when you need them. All my co-workers are kind and funny, they make a hard day enjoyable.
Experience
Spécialiste du service à la clientèle (Former Employee), Vaudreuil-Dorion, QCMarch 28, 2016
Pros: na
Cons: na
My work experience in Canada has been rewarding because I learned different techniques servcio customers has helped me improve my service every day.

The work environment is nice and employees respect each other
Awesome place to work, really enjoyed it.
Seasonal Cashier and floor person (Former Employee), Grande Prairie, ABMarch 16, 2016
I loved working at the Michaels store in GP. They had fabulous people to work with and the managers were amazing. I was sad to have to move on.
Fin place, fun people, fun customers
Seasonal Replenishment Associate (Former Employee), Calgary, ABMarch 10, 2016
Pros: learning about new forms of art, offering my own expertise
Cons: not being entirely knowledgeable about certain arts, glitter
I worked an early shift at Michaels, setting out product and displays before we opened. I also worked part of the open shift, and helped customers as I was dealing with product. Coworkers all had interest in different arts and we were all able to offer our help and insight to different customers. We each had a personal radio with which to communicate with our coworkers on the floor.
The hardest part of the job may have been trying to get an organizational project done while still offering help to customers that need it, which could make a one-day project take a week. Management was open to conversation and suggestions regarding the way things were done and were fairly flexible when it came to our schedules.
Very fun and enjoyable workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Hamilton, ONMarch 1, 2016
Pros: Amazing company to work for
Cons: no complaints
Very fun and enjoyable work place.
Fantastic management.
Company really appreciates the staff.
Best part of the job was meeting all the creative people and seeing how much they love talking about what they do.
Creative workplace
Full Time Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Markham, ONFebruary 28, 2016
Pros: Great associate discount, friendly fellow employees
Cons: Employees were made to clean the bathrooms, sometimes without the proper protection.
I greatly enjoyed working with this company. Being a creative individual, the workplace and the product I dealt with was positive and the management was always willing to answer questions and help out their employees.
Clareview location was a great place to work.
Crochet Instructor (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABFebruary 23, 2016
I greatly enjoyed working at Michaels, Clareview. I had excellent managers who went out of their way to try and help accommodate sometimes odd student or classroom configurations.
Michaels was a fun, artistic environment.
Sales (Former Employee), Toronto, ONFebruary 21, 2016
Working at Michaels was very interesting. The store was moving locations so they needed people to hep build the store. I was able to help in the creation of this Michaels store, I learned about how to put stores together, and to appreciate the effort that goes into it.

For a while, a typical day was to go in to the store, build some shelves, make sure the plan was right, and stock the shelves and walls. After that, a typical day would be to walk around the store to see if any customers needed assistance, or to work on cash.

It was so cool to be able to learn new things about peoples' art. I learned so much about yarn, scrapbooking, glass fusing, it was really a great environment. I once spent an hour with a customer because she was really brining me into her current project, and was asking my opinion about things.

The hardest part of the job was definitely setting up the store. The hours were long and not exciting, but it was amazing once the store was built to know that I was apart of that.

My co-workers were all incredibly friendly. If anyone needed help, someone would be there. Even in the breakroom there was always happy chatting going on, very good people to get along with.

One problem I had was with the management. They were not very organized and this caused a lot of problems with staffing. The managers were very nice people, they just needed to get on the same page of what was going on in the store.
plenty busy when hours are available
Replenishment / Stocking Shelves (Current Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 14, 2016
Pros: enjoy the hours
Cons: lack of hours when sales are down
Being a retail place of business, when the sales are down, the hours go down as well except for management. Most people cannot keep working when only offered 10 hours a week. I love working here , the atmosphere is great when hours are up, then when hours are down, the workers get sloppy in their jobs.
Nothing wrong with working here
Cashier (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2016
Pros: Flexibility
Cons: Coupon policy
I had worked here for 1 year and 7 months, and overall it was a stable job that I was comfortable going to. There were really no down falls, except for some strong willed costumers who insist you give them that coupon (even when it doesn't even apply to the product). But I honestly cant complain, this work place treated me well for a significant amount of time.
Productive but bad shifts management
Sales Associate/Cashier/Custom Framer (Current Employee), Mississauga, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Pros: Easy going, very little stress
Cons: short irregular weekly shifts, few benefits
Great place to work, friendly and helpful people, but very random and few shifts given, training provided is minimal. Management is very caring and supportive. They teach you the basics of Cash and framing but a lot of it is learn on your own. Customers are enjoyable for the most part. Breaks are short. Hardest part of the job would be the lack of staff during busy holidays schedules, Enjoyable part would be the friendly environment.
CASHIER (Former Employee), Calgary, ABFebruary 2, 2016
Pros: employee discount
Cons: short hours
I enjoyed working at Michael's, however every cashier was a part time position so the most hours i got in a day ranged from 4/5 hours.
caotic stressful place to work
FRONT END SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJanuary 29, 2016
Pros: michaels discount
Cons: more management
I was hired to be in charge of the front end of the store along with all the cashiers. I was not trained or given a proper job description of my resonsibilities
Great learning and working environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), Dartmouth Crossing, NSJanuary 28, 2016
Pros: great learning experience
Cons: too few hours avaliable
waiting and assisting customers
what products are good to use for certain projects
I have a lot of knowledgeable co workers
helping the customers locate the product they are looking for and
leaving our store happy and willing to return.
Worst company ever
Custom Frame Manager (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONJanuary 22, 2016
Pros: Get to see some unique and amazing artwork
Cons: Bad management, No training, No ethics, No weekends off
By far the worst company I have ever worked for. Fist, they don't tell you you are responsible for more then just custom frames. You get the custom department you have to look after but they also give you the frames off the floor you are responsible for ( they don't tell you that up front ).
Second, after being there as the department manager for almost a year they have still never sent me for training, everything I do I taught myself as they will not spend the money to train people correctly.
Third, when the store is slow and they don't think they will make their day money wise they cancel all floor staff , you can't get your own work done because the customer can not find anyone else on the floor so they come to you. ( I guess to michaels saving $50 on having someone on the floor is better then having happy customers that can find help on the floor).
Fourth, michaels was handed a huge fine last summer for how they did their pricing on custom frames, so instead of just abiding by the law they have come up with a way to skirt around it by using coupons we give you so you never have to pay full price for custom framing.
Fifth, after putting up with everything ( no training, bad hours, no help ect...) for a year that they give you they tell you that you will now be the only manager in the store that gets no weekend off ever , that you can't have 2 days off in a row .
Do yourself a favor and stay as far away from this company as you can! This company has no business ethics at all.
Headquarters