Michaels Employee Reviews

Amazing place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON19 February 2017
All workers are super easy to get along with, and are always willing to answer any question for you even if it is a 'stupid' question. They're easy to joke around with, and make you feel like you're all a huge family.
Pros
Lots of shifts
Fun, fast paced
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON16 February 2017
It's a good company to work for, but you need to be a strong worker. I think a lot of people expect it to be super easy because of the type of store but their is a lot of work that goes into that store.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Moncton Area, NB16 February 2017
Great place to work if your looking for part time, great people, works great with your schedule, but it wasn't the best place for me has there is no where place to grow
Very friendly staff, easy to work with and always willing to help
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON15 February 2017
I thoroughly enjoyed my seasonal position as a team member at Michaels. I was eager to start and would willingly go back if the opportunity presented itself. The staff there were always so helpful when I first started out and everyone was friendly and easy to work with.
Pros
Wonderful staff
Seasonal Part Time Job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON15 February 2017
Interesting place to work. I was Seasonal Help. The customers were usually very pleasant and the General Manager was extremely supportive.
Pros
Enjoyable customers craft oriented
Cons
Seasonal only for 4 months
Filled with crafty, creative people
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON12 February 2017
Michaels was a great place to work. The employees are some of the most creative and inspired people all of whom started out as customers.
great place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL11 February 2017
the people are nice to work with as well as management. a normal shift can be demanding but well worth it. the most enjoyable part is meeting many different an pleasant people.
Fun place to work
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 February 2017
Fun place to work and most of the staff is very friendly. Management is all over the place as no one is on the same page so one manager will tell you one thing and another will tell you the opposite
very welcolming enviroment
Front end supervisor/cashier (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS8 February 2017
very friendly atmosphere. I felt management gave good feedback and credit when it was do. Great job. Pay could have been better
Positive Team
Framing Manager (Current Employee) –  New Minas, NS6 February 2017
Positive team mates who are so creative, building frames and allow clients to build a custom design for me to preserve their most cherished pictures and artifacts.

Want to know more about Michaels?

Ask a question
Fun to work at
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 February 2017
Really fun to work

Good discounts sometimes.

easy not too busy besides Christmas.

The managaers are pretty cool and chill

good salary and hours.
much needed improvement
Cashier and Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  St. Albert, AB4 February 2017
Unloaded truck early tuesday mornings, replenished the store.
Management DOESNT give hours evenly, everyone had very open availability but gave 5 of us 4-12 hours a week while others were getting 16.5+. When asked for more they said they "didn't have extra hours". Managers would smoke marijuana outside the receiving door, which would then make the part of the store by the receiving room smell like pot. Managers constantly gossiped to each other and swore at staff. Manager constantly puts down replenishment team. Schedule is only given 5 days in advance.
Pros
only worked mornings
Cons
low hours, low pay, rude management
fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 January 2017
I truly enjoyed working at michaels, when I first started working there I was really into crafts so it gave me some chances to get to try different things. In the store they had different opportunities like teaching a class, crafts for kids and a summer camp program that you can participate in. While working there I had some different points of view on how managers should treat coworkers that we didn't exactly see eye to eye on. that is what pushed me to leave micahaels. I enjoyed everyone that I worked with and I had a good overall experience.
Pros
different work experiences
Cons
bad relationships
Great Environment and Employees
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON23 January 2017
This job was a great experience for me as a high school student.
I gained valuable experience in cashiering and dealing with customers. The management was very reliable and friendly and it was easy to come to them if I was experiencing any issues or was confused about something. In this environment I did not feel that any of my coworkers judged me or talked badly about me at any time. I felt very safe, comfortable, and happy throughout my time with this company. If I had to choose the hardest part of the job, it would be the fact that sometimes customers can get angry and talk very badly to you, but in the end it is very valuable customer service experience to be able to learn how to deal with situations like that. The best part of the job I'd say was when you could help a customer find the exact product they wanted, and they would be so grateful and happy which was a great feeling. Overall a great experience and I'd recommend it to anyone.
Cons
Sometimes not enough hours during certain times of the year
Mixed Bag
Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON21 January 2017
At the store level, the people you work with a warm, supportive and friendly. There are many interesting products and the staff who specialize are more than willing to share their knowledge and help out if you get a question you can't answer. However once past store level, the support drops rapidly - corporate does not allow for enough hours to properly staff the store and therefore unless one is a manager, it is very, very unlikely to get more than 12 hours per week at the best of times. Company policies change or flip very quickly and communication is hit or miss, especially with the majority working part time which makes employees look like they don't know what they are talking about, despite being very capable individuals. I learned so much about cake decorating, jewelry making, what paints work best on a specific surface, how to read a yarn label to identify weight, what needles are needed and how to match dye lots and what adhesives work best for a particular project. But while the co-workers make the place great, the customers often don't and corporate policy rewards those who threaten to complain when an employee points out that they are trying to cheat discount policies.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, decent discount
Cons
not enough hours, no support from corporate
Great place to work.
Replenish Associate (Current Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB20 January 2017
I really enjoyed my time there but the pay was okay. The managers where great and the environment was fun. only down side was I worked replenish and its a morning shift from 3-11 for minimum wage.
It is Nice...
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Orillia, ON19 January 2017
Michaels, although I enjoy working there as I am an artistic person, is just an okay place to work. My location has no opportunity for advancement, no pay raise either. The shifts are really shaky, in peak season shifts are plenty but in the off season you hardly get any hours.
Pros
Clean, Happy, Artsy
Cons
Unreliable Hours
Typical Retail
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON18 January 2017
If you are interested in crafting/scrapbooking/knitting/decorating or just being creative, working here is a great way to learn new tricks and get an awesome discount
Great workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 January 2017
Michaels is a great place to work with friendly workers and clear, set responsibilities each day. Management does everything they can for customers and associates to accommodate their needs.
I loved working here
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 January 2017
Even though I only worked here a few months, I loved it. I wish I could be a part of the Michael’s team for the long run. There are no complaints from working there. The management is great and the staff works really well together.

2.9