Michaels

Michaels Employer Reviews

• Salary/Benefits
Customer Service based
Sales Associate and Instructor (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONAugust 21, 2014
A typical shift involves serving customers and ensuring they have an excellent experience to bring them back again in future.

I learned a lot about how to deal with customers who didn't get quite what they were hoping for. How to diffuse a situation effectively to reverse the negative opinion that may have been formed.

Management was tough on us, – more... but they really just wanted the business to succeed and customers to have excellent service.

My co-workers were amazing. We were always willing to help one another out and work as a team. – less
I did that
Customer Service and Cashier (Current Employee), Toronto, ONAugust 12, 2014
I wrote something about it before, but I would like to say I like all my managers and friends in Michaels.
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Edmonton, ABJuly 29, 2014
Enjoyed making crafts for the children that would come in throughout the week and weekend and making sure that all the customers were taking care as well as phone calls, cash out.
Replenishment
Replenishment (Former Employee), Deerfoot Meadows, Calgary AlbertaJune 12, 2014
Pros: occasional free lunch, salary, co-workers
Cons: managment, tiresome
Well the job was alright. I mean it is retail. I really liked it at first. The first 3 months everything was almost fun. I worked at the Deerfoot Meadows location. The management was not so great.... They went through three different managers within the 9 months I worked there. The general manager would tell me to do one thing while my replenishment – more... manager would tell me to do another. They time you when you stock. I don't think it is a horrible thing but they don't take into account the time when you walk away from the product to help a customer. So they come back and aren't pleased that your first job wasn't done. Well, they say customers come first... They shouldn't get mad if it isn't done "on time"
I am ok if we are working toward goals but nagging about it doesn't help.
Co-workers are fun. – less
Great place to work for
Michaels Cashier (Former Employee), Kelowna B.C.June 12, 2014
I had a blast working at Michaels. Always a fun time :) The staff is always friendly
Enjoyed the work, not the manager.
Sales Representative/Certified Framer (Former Employee), NanaimoMay 15, 2014
I worked at Michaels for a couple years and it was great. Great staff, I enjoyed the work as a certified framer. Then we got a new store manager, Josh, and he was terrible to his staff. He belittled us often. Everyone got together and talked to the regional manager, had a meeting with Josh and talked about our experiences with him. He gave us an "apology", – more... but nothing changed. So I quit. Couldn't handle it. – less
Not a fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee), Mississauga, OnFebruary 25, 2014
Cons: the store manager was intimidating and constantly made her employees cry.
The store manager was mean and rude, and constantly made employees cry. She was intimidating and never helped. She enjoyed putting people down. This was not a nice place to work at
Surrounded by Creativity
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Prince George, BCFebruary 16, 2014
Pros: creative environment
Cons: long hours
Michaels was an incredibly rewarding place to work - I loved the creativity that surrounded the staff and company. The management and co-workers are highly helpful and intelligent. The hardest part was learning the ins-and-outs of the job.
Micheal's
Customer service (Former Employee), Abbotsford, BCNovember 28, 2013
Fun Part time job
not a career as they only pay min wage unless management
Great people to work with
Replenishment associate (Former Employee), Red Deer, ABNovember 23, 2013
Pros: getting to see all the cool crafty products
Cons: early hours
I enjoyed working at Michaels, the people are great. I learned about the different product that they carry and what to recommend. Management does the best that they can, though not always prepared. The hardest part was probably the early hours and trying to remember where they kept moving everything to,
Good customers, strange rules on physical look for staff
Seasonal Cashier (Current Employee), Micheal's West VancouverNovember 9, 2013
Cons: not enough hours, terrible uniform
A typical day is quite busy. I've learnt about working in a large company and how that differs from a small business. My co-workers are totally fab. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to make the customers happy.
great place to work
Support specialist (Current Employee), Toronto, ONSeptember 14, 2013
Pros: great environment always learn something new all the time
Cons: late delivery, going to the bank daily
My shifts starts at 8 in the morning starting counting tills that's being use the night before. Open the store system make sure all cash is running each register have money by 9 morning meeting with staff about sales, our progress and special of the day for about 10 minutes get my deposit ready file away paper work from previous day by 10 do all my – more... write off for damages , stolen items etc expect ups by 11 received all items thats being delivered make daily deposit to the bankt. At around 11:30 have a coffee break after words start all my price changes for the store order any supplies that needed such as coffee, toilet paper , garbage bags and so on my shifts usually ends around 1 -1:30 – less
Easy and fun place to work at
Cashier (Former Employee), Victoria, BCJuly 6, 2013
Pros: employee discounts, ability to manipulate shifts, nice co-workers and customers
Cons: location not ideal for those who bus
Fun place to work at, as everyone there is nice. Seasonal periods are busy and harder to manage, but make time fly faster. My most enjoyable part of the job was when I was able to go home after a good day of work.

The hardest part of my job is in terms of my location, bussing is not trustworthy in this Michael's Location in Millstream.
Fun workplace, not a career
Floral Designer (Former Employee), Calgary, ABJune 26, 2013
Pros: fun, creative
Cons: weekends, low pay
I learned great customer service skills

Very fun, creative work environment
very interesting
Office Administrative Support & Bookkeeper (Former Employee), Ottawa, ONNovember 20, 2012
I began here 2 years ago and i gained alot of good work experience that had lead me to new opportunities.
I don't kow what to write here
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Saint John, NBSeptember 24, 2012
Pros: i enjoy the place and people
Cons: not enough hours
The reason why I am still looking for a job/career is that I am only getting 8-9 hours a week here. I would like a full time or part time job to supplement this, since 8-9 hours does not pay the bills. Other than hours, I do like working at Michaels.
it was a very learning experience
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Greater Sudbury, ONSeptember 4, 2012
I loved working for Michaels and meeting all types of people
Poor place to work
Replenishment (Former Employee), New Minas, NSAugust 18, 2012
Pros: great customers
Cons: poor management, broken promises, poor paperwork from head office for employees
One of the worse places to work, poor management, no advancement, broken promises, only advance friends not good workers. Took them over 3 months to get me my ROE. One sided towards management. Poor training methods.
Great place to work always something new arriving
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee), Kingston OntarioJune 26, 2012
Pros: lots of staff incentives
Cons: long hours and late night
Lots of customer interaction, learned to deal with many different types of people management was always very reassuring and helpful.
We always had lots of well trained and friendly staff at hand. Since we often had classes and events for the customer this made the job very enjoyable.
The hardest part was if we ran out of something and had to tell some – more... it was available anymore so we could not met their needs. – less
Horrible Management
Arts and Crafts Department Manager (Former Employee), Calgary, AbertaJune 16, 2012
People I worked with were great. Management on the other hand, were poorly managed. People were being let go every time I turned around and became one of them. Turns out, they were going under..

1 2 3 4 5

About Michaels

Michaels Stores is crafty. The nation's #1 arts and crafts retailer owns and operates¬†about 1,075 Michaels Stores across the US – Read more