Michaels Employee Reviews

good workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB20 September 2017
The company was pretty decent to work for. the pay wasn't that good. They didn't acknowledge that I was working for the company for over a year when, they would recognize other staff members. The people were friendly. The overall experience wasn't what I though it be.
Michaels was alright
Replenishment associate (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON19 September 2017
Even though i was there for 3 years at 2 different locations (pickering and kanata) it was incredible. Pickering was a family who respected each other and worked with each other to get the job done within the time frame we were given. The kanata location was toxic and I can't really say anything more.
Pros
free breakfast, employee discounts
Cons
3 am start times, heavy lifting
Fun and busy
Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON14 September 2017
Always busy, management is very friendly. No many hours of job, learn about crafts, customer service, opportunity to be an instructor, good environment.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Low wage
Difficult place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB10 September 2017
Customers are the rudest i've ever had to deal with due to management allowing customers to do whatever they wish. Management can't communicate well and are to afraid to get rid of employees that are on the verge of harassing other co- workers.
Uncaring Management, no culture, gossipy atmosphere
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB4 September 2017
Sad because it could be a great place to work if you like crafting and customer service. Hiring and promotion of management is the worst I've ever seen. At this store at least.
Pros
Great customers
Cons
Too long of a list
I loved it there
Replenishment associate (Former Employee) –  Saint John, NB4 September 2017
I loved working at Michael's and made new friends :) and loved helping the customers . my co-workers were very nice and helped me out when I needed help.
favorite job
Custom Framing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 September 2017
opened the custom framing department, got all stock up to date. loved the people i was around all day. got to work with my hands and be creative! was my.Accurately records information regarding frame size details and matte selection while corresponding information to supplier. Completes customer call backs as soon as issues arise with order complications for difficult or irate customers.While building the clients framing order, maintained neatness on the frame isles of the store, front facing and organizing each frame to its appropriate place.
Maintains a clean shop, ensuring all equipment is returned to the appropriate places to maintain a productive environment.
Assists other stores in Calgary when they are in need of a Custom Framing specialist, often working more than one location in a day.
Able to work independently without supervision while performing tasks essential to building customers framing orders.
Gained Employee of the Month status within my first month of Employment at Michaels based on excellent sales status.
Pros
fun, stress-free, amazing employees
Cons
minium wage
Standard
cashier and sales representative (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 August 2017
Michaels worked in a standard way. It was kept clean, organized, and had typical expectations of how to treat the customers. Employees were friendly.
Pros
discount
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 August 2017
Overall, this was an enjoyable place to work until I transferred to another store. The Store Manager was unbelievably manipulative, sneaky, and demeaning. I complained to HR, and I was told to "suck it up" and to "take my feelings out of it".
Long Hours. I worked put to 55 - 60 hours a week as the store I was working in was high volume. Lower volume I was working 50 hours per week on average. Do not expect to have a life outside of Michaels between the months of October to December. You are expected to work 6 days a week at Christmas.
Salary was good, but you work your butt off for it. Never enough staff on the floor, or enough hours to get daily tasks completed.
Pros
Salary
Productive place to work at with great management and coworkers
Replenishment Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 August 2017
I work from 3 am to 9 am mainly on Mondays, I help unload the truck and put away merchandise. I've learned to be efficient at putting stock away while making sure everything is in it's proper place and I'm not taking so much time down one aisle. I'm making sure to move as quickly as I can! I love the managers, they are friendly and understandable. The hardest part about the job is waking up to work at 3 am, however the enjoyable part is actually showing up and working! I love the atmosphere my coworkers have provided.
Varied Cultures, Fun, Active and always busy
Certified Instructor/Customer Service Rep / Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2017
Cashier and Customer Service - always greeting and meeting new people, helping customers with any problems or complaints and solving them,leaving the customer happy.
I learnt how to hold my tongue,keep smiling and work out any issues.
Management changes all the time from store to store,that was difficult due to personalities and the constant changes.
The most enjoyable times for me was at cash and teaching
Pros
Discounts on Yarn
Cons
Not enough shifts
Huge work load
Customer Experience and Events Manager (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON13 August 2017
Work load is huge without a realistic wage or respect to work/life balance. Expectations are high without much support to be successful. It's like being set up to fail every day.
Pros
Good employee discount
Cons
Very low wage. Little room for advancement.
busy work environment
Floor clerk/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE9 August 2017
unloading transport trucks, putting inventory and products on shelves, organizing stock room and maintaining a clean work area. the management was always friendly, stress levels were very low all the time.
Pros
great staff
Cons
not enough hours
Fun workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2017
Good starter place to work, nice staff and management, easy to move up in the company, hard to obtain a raise though, overall great place to work, highly recommended
Pros
Free lunchs occasionally
Cons
Short hours
One of my first jobs
Full-time summer student employee (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON4 August 2017
Starting in the customer service industry was hard. Truly got thrown into a position where you had to help people but it was a great store to work for. Extremely reliable.
It's all about about corporate making money
Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK2 August 2017
Don't work here, it's only minimum wage. They fired all there good staff so they wouldn't have to pay benifets anymore. No proper training. And just because they hired someone doesn't mean they know how to make crafts...Managers want to know all your personal business, but nothing ever stayed private. So much work to get done in such little amount of time, then you got lectured on about not moving fast enough.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Where to begin
Productive and fun enviroment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 July 2017
It's enjoyable to come and work because of how polite the other associates are and management. A normal day consists of ringing in purchases and helping customers regarding questions/concerns they have.
Fun enviroment to grow
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 July 2017
I worked for Michaels and it was a great experience. I was able to work for a phenomenal manager. Always willing to help there employees wen the need it.
Pros
Good Manager
Fun Workplace with Chances for Growth
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC26 July 2017
Michael's train their employees well so that floating between positions is not only possible, but encouraged. This keeps the atmosphere new and fun always.
Productive and fun place to work
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Pitt meadows16 July 2017
Nice place to work great first job, awesome experience to learn and grow as an individual. Very nice people had no problems working there, just the time has to come to discover new things
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Low on people sometimes

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9