Michaels Employee Review

Dead end position unless you have management experience
customer experience associate (Current Employee) –  Brampton On30 September 2012
I've been with Michaels as an associate for over 10 years. I'm still a part time associate. When they changed the store positions I tried to apply for a management postion but didn't have any previous management experience.
A typical day is greeting customers and trying to keep the store clean also backing up cash.
My co workers are easy to get along with, management is willing to help you out. If you want to move up you have to apply internally or move to another store where the position is available. I bend over backwards for customers and the store and never received any recognition for my services, even though I have let management know that I'm interested in promotions rewards.They also started associate of the month, a class instructor got it instead of an associate.
You will learn a lot about crafts, organizing and prioritizing customers. You may also have to deal with upset customers if the managers are busy with a conference call or other things. You will also learn about policies and the pros and conds of how big box companies work.
The hardest part is dealing with people that think there isn't enough people working there or that the lines are too long when we have all the registers open. Or when you're the only person on the floor during busy times and being pulled in a million directions at once. Some times I want to ask if they would be willing to work until 9:30pm or longer on Saturday night.... Which is what I usually get stuck with. The most enjoyable part of the job is actually beng able to help some one find what they need or make them feel more confident about
  more... their projects.
Scheduling can be a problem; some times availability gets ignored or they ask you to come in when you booked time off. Some times the only hours I get is on weekends and if I need a weekend off I won't get any hours during the week. Also I've noticed if I take on extra hours one week my hours would often get cut for the next week. My manager was just told to hire 6 new people and they don't have enough hours to go around. If they scheduled better then they wouldn't have to hire people.
I don't have much of a life out side of Michaels because I'm always working on the weekends or evenings, they don't give me enough hours to make a living off of this place. I've tried to get other jobs but things never work out and one of the managers has thretened me with firing me if I wasn't able to keep them a priority. Even if they do give you a raise it's not even noticable until you look at your pay check.
Pros
the staff i worked with was great
Cons
late evenings and not enough hours to go around

Other Michaels Employee Reviews

A place where the schedule is flexible
Entretien (Former Employee) –  Lachenaie, QC22 November 2017
Having a job there and being a student is easy since they are very aware of the situations a student can face. They offer flexibility in changing days off to more convenient days.

Working in the back-store is hard work, but it is very lively and time goes by quickly.

Sometime the management can be a bit... rough but it's not impossible to talk to the higher-ups they are very open to talking and making the job environment better.
Michaels is a very good place to start out
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Prince Albert, SK21 November 2017
Michaels is the perfect starting point. The management is very professional, and they help their employees, in multiple different ways. It is a work environment that encourages mental health and does what it can for those with poor mental health.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9