Michaels Employee Reviews in Canada

letting staff know you have arrived. Straighen area, let customer know your till is open
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  South Common EdmontonJune 9, 2016
Letting staff know,you have arrived, told which cash to start on.
Mistakes on the register (voiding out a transaction)
Good to work with, coworkers. Helpful when needed. Floor staff,not very prompt for a price check.
Having to do a price check, with other customers waiting.
Pros
Praise for doing a good job.
Cons
No one willing to go the extra mile. And do a price check, for another area.
Practical, hands - on workplace with a productive envoirnment
Mechandiser / Set-Up Crew (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ONJune 8, 2016
On a typical day at work, me and my co - workers strive to achieve the day's objective. I enjoyed the creative and productive environment. But the management was new and was not able to co assist with the team due to inexperience in the workplace. Yet my favourite part was doing interior designing in the store.
Pros
Store Display, and a creative envoirnment
Cons
New Management -
Fun, Exciting, Challenging, Friendly
Certified Custom Framer - Silver certification (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ONJune 16, 2016
As a certified framer everyday was different. Our customers would supply us with a variety of different types of art to frame which made it both exciting and challenging. My co-workers are amazing we are all like a big family which is nice to see in such a big cooperation. I would say that the hardest part of my job is when pieces of art are for memorials of family members of all ages. The most enjoyable part is seeing the final outcome regardless of the situation. I have learned so many different things the most important is listening to the customer and learning how to read in between the lines as far as what the customer is wanting there piece to look like along with making it fit in there home and or someone's décor.
Cons
Hours are not stabalized
Job satisfaction working with customers for project completion
Sales Associate (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QCJuly 21, 2016
We would start with communication with store manager or assistant store manager for directives for the day. Usually restocking of shelves upon receipt of merchandise. Customer service priorities.
I learned a lot about the retail environment from budgeting to scheduling and also the inventory replenishment. Friday would be add set change over which was very fun to do. A daily function was to greet and offer customer service to clients. I found that very rewarding as they would usually come back and show me pictures or tell me of their experiences.
Hardest part of the job was the weekly changing of our schedules , example never knowing when you work.
It was a great team and enjoyed working together.
Pros
Up to date product knowledge, learning new crafts
Cons
Shift work
Craft Store with amazing people
Floral Designer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
Recently I've been moved to the position as a Florist because of my ability to adapt to any environment and work hard at the task assigned to me. I am very creative; this attribute adds to the enjoyment of the job. I get to create things out of simple materials. Management is great. The people placed in management work hard to make sure you're on task and are always there when you need them. All my co-workers are kind and funny, they make a hard day enjoyable.
Pros
pizza lunches occasionally, Co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours, the pay
Creative workplace
Full Time Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 28, 2016
I greatly enjoyed working with this company. Being a creative individual, the workplace and the product I dealt with was positive and the management was always willing to answer questions and help out their employees.
Pros
Great associate discount, friendly fellow employees
Cons
Employees were made to clean the bathrooms, sometimes without the proper protection.
Was able to work with kids, which I enjoy
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMay 4, 2016
Usually the only cashier during the weekday; was a very high paced. Learned to be quick and efficient with my duties. Learned how to help customers in a professional manor, while providing them with excellent customer service.
Pros
Learning to craft
Cons
Not enough hours
Productive but bad shifts management
Sales Associate/Cashier/Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Great place to work, friendly and helpful people, but very random and few shifts given, training provided is minimal. Management is very caring and supportive. They teach you the basics of Cash and framing but a lot of it is learn on your own. Customers are enjoyable for the most part. Breaks are short. Hardest part of the job would be the lack of staff during busy holidays schedules, Enjoyable part would be the friendly environment.
Pros
Easy going, very little stress
Cons
short irregular weekly shifts, few benefits
Nothing wrong with working here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2016
I had worked here for 1 year and 7 months, and overall it was a stable job that I was comfortable going to. There were really no down falls, except for some strong willed costumers who insist you give them that coupon (even when it doesn't even apply to the product). But I honestly cant complain, this work place treated me well for a significant amount of time.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Coupon policy
Fin place, fun people, fun customers
Seasonal Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 10, 2016
I worked an early shift at Michaels, setting out product and displays before we opened. I also worked part of the open shift, and helped customers as I was dealing with product. Coworkers all had interest in different arts and we were all able to offer our help and insight to different customers. We each had a personal radio with which to communicate with our coworkers on the floor.
The hardest part of the job may have been trying to get an organizational project done while still offering help to customers that need it, which could make a one-day project take a week. Management was open to conversation and suggestions regarding the way things were done and were fairly flexible when it came to our schedules.
Pros
learning about new forms of art, offering my own expertise
Cons
not being entirely knowledgeable about certain arts, glitter
plenty busy when hours are available
Replenishment / Stocking Shelves (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 14, 2016
Being a retail place of business, when the sales are down, the hours go down as well except for management. Most people cannot keep working when only offered 10 hours a week. I love working here , the atmosphere is great when hours are up, then when hours are down, the workers get sloppy in their jobs.
Pros
enjoy the hours
Cons
lack of hours when sales are down
Fun and encouraging work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ONJuly 6, 2016
I had a great time working here. My co-workers were friendly as well as my managers. It was rewarding helping customers find what they need as well as making sure they left happy.
Pros
Lovely work environment, Friendly staff, Nice items
Loved it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ONJune 8, 2016
I loved working here. Very fun place to work at. An excellent choice for people who are looking for their first retail/cashier job and don't know where to start.
Pros
Good management, fun and creative environment, strong team culture, some room for growth
Cons
Low pay
Warm workplace
Cashier & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 16, 2016
A very organized and well managed workplace. Waves of customers would appear often, but the team handles it and cleans the aftermath with ease and exceptional service.
Pros
Very friendly and welcoming environment
Cons
An hour would feel like five
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Working at Michael's taught me how to plan and coordinate events within the store. I learn how to manage my time within a very limited time frame. It was hard work but I felt accomplished at the end of a day's work. I worked at Michael's while attending University and they were excellent about scheduling shifts around classes and very accommodating during exam periods.
Pros
Innovative, creative
Cons
Long hours standing
Great place
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Truro, NSJune 13, 2016
working at Michaes was a fun time. getting to work with the kids taught me that you can have fun at work. I was a little on the uneasy side because the hours were given out weirdly.
Pros
able to learn and grow.
Cons
low hours for not getting emails.
Fun work environment
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONApril 22, 2016
fast paced environment, must be able to handle difficult situations, good management team, friendly staff. Hardest part of the job is grumpy customers, best part; the people you'll meet/work with
Pros
short shifts
Cons
short shifts
Great learning and working environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NSJanuary 28, 2016
waiting and assisting customers
what products are good to use for certain projects
I have a lot of knowledgeable co workers
helping the customers locate the product they are looking for and
leaving our store happy and willing to return.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
too few hours avaliable
Typical day
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCApril 5, 2016
A typical day would be greeting and helping customers, working closely with associates.Organizing the front end and store events.The most enjoyable part of the job is belonging to a team.
Pros
Great environment, friendly associates
Very fun and enjoyable workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 1, 2016
Very fun and enjoyable work place.
Fantastic management.
Company really appreciates the staff.
Best part of the job was meeting all the creative people and seeing how much they love talking about what they do.
Pros
Amazing company to work for
Cons
no complaints

2.9