Michaels Employee Reviews

Fun Workplace with Chances for Growth
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC26 July 2017
Michael's train their employees well so that floating between positions is not only possible, but encouraged. This keeps the atmosphere new and fun always.
Productive and fun place to work
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Pitt meadows16 July 2017
Nice place to work great first job, awesome experience to learn and grow as an individual. Very nice people had no problems working there, just the time has to come to discover new things
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Low on people sometimes
Do not work here!
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB12 July 2017
When I had my interview the store manager seemed very approachable and polite. That was a joke, once we started working in the store there was a huge attitude change. She became rude and no longer approachable. While unloading the trucks managers would get mad because we weren't moving fast enough while they just stood in the corner on their phones. There were a few times the backroom smelt like weed. There were a few customer complaints about the smell but nothing was ever done about it. Management gave more hours to their favourites, not to the ones who worked harder. Management also would swear and yell at staff members for no reason! As well, some associates were afraid to talk to management because pf the yelling. I've heard things have not changed much since i have quit but changes need to be made ASAP!
Pros
there aren't any
Cons
management, low pay, few hours
I really enjoyed working here
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS7 July 2017
I was so happy when I got the job here as a part-time seasonal. They trained me, and the managers were kind and patient. The typical day involved waiting on customer purchases, cleaning the til and your feet didn't get sore because they invested in anti-fatigue mats. All of my co-workers were nice, elderly ladies who enjoyed crafting as much as I did. They kept me as a permanent part-time despite letting go of a lot of seasonal workers, which was nice. I was really sad to leave my Michaels family when I had to move, and if the website didn't recognise my name and try to force me to apply in the US, I would apply for another Michaels position but there is an error in the system.
Pros
breaks on time, friendly co-workers, kind managers
Cons
Not a whole lot of hours
Love their products and the coworkers were nice
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB4 July 2017
I wasn't given hours at all. I made about 73$ per pay check. Random three hour shifts and they would call and say they didn't need me a certain day. There were some weeks where I wasn't even on the schedule...
Pros
Good product
Cons
No money, no hours
Good starter job, but you don't get places
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 June 2017
Only worked a short time, the other employees were extremely nice and as for the supervisors too. However; I only got a seasonal job, they were willing to keep one employee, I was very reliable and on time yet they chose the worker that did less and sometimes didn't show. I liked the surroundings and the environment of the job, just didn't appreciate the managers decisions.
Pros
works well with scheduling around prior engagements
Cons
very low wage
Very productive
Représentant de ventes au détails (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC23 June 2017
Michaels is a great place to work in i have nothing bad to say about this place. Everyone knows what they have to do and if needed we helped eachother to complete different task in the store.
Pros
great environnement to work in
Cons
not enough hours
Terribly managed and illegal practices
Early Morning Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC22 June 2017
They use your hours as weapons, mislead you on duties, and have no idea how to properly manage a business. Currently the worst Michaels in all of Canada for a reason.
Pros
There were not any.
Cons
The hours, the management, their lack of safety practices, the ignorance to the labour laws.
Mostly enjoyable due to environment and people around me
Sales Associate & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON20 June 2017
Great place filled with strong minded determined people. Customers were very nice and considerate most times. Only flaw is management. Very strict and not understanding of personal lives and issues outside of work.
Learning Experience
Custom Framing and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodside Square16 June 2017
I loved working at Michaels, the team was friendly an the customers were friendly. The creativity in the store was bursting. I got to learn many techniques of the trades and was able to input my own knowledge and experiences to help others.
Good environment, High Pressure
General Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON 3050 Vega16 June 2017
I love working at Michaels arts and crafts, I have been there for ten years. The job has been constantly changing and constantly challenging. As a store manager the demands and expectations are borderline unrealistic
Pros
Good culture and promotion of values
low pay, no room for advancement
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 June 2017
Working at Michaels was a good part-time job,if you are interested in crafts then this is a great place to be, but there is no room for advancement and low pay.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
no hours, no room for advancement, low pay
Good Crafts Store
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 June 2017
Michaels is a good place to work at if you're interested in various crafts. The staff are good people and are always willing to help if anyone needs assistance.
excellent
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL6 June 2017
very wonderful enviroment and awesome coworkers and customers are generally happy and calm. 10% off and it applies over top of all other discounts.
Fun Atmosphere
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brockville, ON5 June 2017
This environment is perfect for a creative person who enjoys meeting new people and sharing ideas and passion for arts and crafts. There are often birthday parties for children and events being held at the store.
michaels
Cashier, Customer Service, and Floor Assiciate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 June 2017
short hours. refunds. too many managers. dealing with customers the best. hardest part not familiar with some products short days. deal with customers multi task.
Pros
learn lots of info
Cons
not enough hours
terrible manager
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB31 May 2017
the manager would wait by the exit of the store after we are off the clock to get us to do things like clean the store or mop the floor as we are walking out
Fun Workplace
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC30 May 2017
It was great being able to see some of the products before they were put out on the shelves; however, the very early morning shelf stocking was not as much fun.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
Very Early or Late Shifts
Fairly fun
Framing Manager/Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2017
Management was a bit tough, but that is expected for a corporate chain store. Goals are expected to be met, and when they are not, there are usually repercussions.

People working under you or with you are usually great. Team environment is friendly too.
Ottawa Pinecrest Store
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 May 2017
Customer Service Manager for 3 plus years.

I had the blessing of working with a great team at Michaels Pinecrest. Store Manager Ann Marie Jamieson was supportive and a great leader. I enjoyed my time working for Michaels.
My only complaint would be with District..expecting unrealistic expectations and when needed support was often denied. Hours being cut and not enough coverage on floors during peak hours.
Overall i appreciated everything that Michaels has taught me. If you are looking for a part time job and can handle a fast pace then this is a great starter job to break you into retail.
Pros
Great management team/Michaels Pinecrest
Cons
Few hours/ Not enough staff coverage.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9