Michaels Employee Reviews

Varied Cultures, Fun, Active and always busy
Certified Instructor/Customer Service Rep / Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2017
Cashier and Customer Service - always greeting and meeting new people, helping customers with any problems or complaints and solving them,leaving the customer happy.
I learnt how to hold my tongue,keep smiling and work out any issues.
Management changes all the time from store to store,that was difficult due to personalities and the constant changes.
The most enjoyable times for me was at cash and teaching
Pros
Discounts on Yarn
Cons
Not enough shifts
Huge work load
Customer Experience and Events Manager (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON13 August 2017
Work load is huge without a realistic wage or respect to work/life balance. Expectations are high without much support to be successful. It's like being set up to fail every day.
Pros
Good employee discount
Cons
Very low wage. Little room for advancement.
busy work environment
Floor clerk/Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE9 August 2017
unloading transport trucks, putting inventory and products on shelves, organizing stock room and maintaining a clean work area. the management was always friendly, stress levels were very low all the time.
Pros
great staff
Cons
not enough hours
Fun workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 August 2017
Good starter place to work, nice staff and management, easy to move up in the company, hard to obtain a raise though, overall great place to work, highly recommended
Pros
Free lunchs occasionally
Cons
Short hours
One of my first jobs
Full-time summer student employee (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON4 August 2017
Starting in the customer service industry was hard. Truly got thrown into a position where you had to help people but it was a great store to work for. Extremely reliable.
It's all about about corporate making money
Associate (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK2 August 2017
Don't work here, it's only minimum wage. They fired all there good staff so they wouldn't have to pay benifets anymore. No proper training. And just because they hired someone doesn't mean they know how to make crafts...Managers want to know all your personal business, but nothing ever stayed private. So much work to get done in such little amount of time, then you got lectured on about not moving fast enough.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Where to begin
Productive and fun enviroment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 July 2017
It's enjoyable to come and work because of how polite the other associates are and management. A normal day consists of ringing in purchases and helping customers regarding questions/concerns they have.
Fun enviroment to grow
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 July 2017
I worked for Michaels and it was a great experience. I was able to work for a phenomenal manager. Always willing to help there employees wen the need it.
Pros
Good Manager
Fun Workplace with Chances for Growth
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC26 July 2017
Michael's train their employees well so that floating between positions is not only possible, but encouraged. This keeps the atmosphere new and fun always.
Productive and fun place to work
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Pitt meadows16 July 2017
Nice place to work great first job, awesome experience to learn and grow as an individual. Very nice people had no problems working there, just the time has to come to discover new things
Pros
Nice people
Cons
Low on people sometimes
Do not work here!
Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB12 July 2017
When I had my interview the store manager seemed very approachable and polite. That was a joke, once we started working in the store there was a huge attitude change. She became rude and no longer approachable. While unloading the trucks managers would get mad because we weren't moving fast enough while they just stood in the corner on their phones. There were a few times the backroom smelt like weed. There were a few customer complaints about the smell but nothing was ever done about it. Management gave more hours to their favourites, not to the ones who worked harder. Management also would swear and yell at staff members for no reason! As well, some associates were afraid to talk to management because pf the yelling. I've heard things have not changed much since i have quit but changes need to be made ASAP!
Pros
there aren't any
Cons
management, low pay, few hours
I really enjoyed working here
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Truro, NS7 July 2017
I was so happy when I got the job here as a part-time seasonal. They trained me, and the managers were kind and patient. The typical day involved waiting on customer purchases, cleaning the til and your feet didn't get sore because they invested in anti-fatigue mats. All of my co-workers were nice, elderly ladies who enjoyed crafting as much as I did. They kept me as a permanent part-time despite letting go of a lot of seasonal workers, which was nice. I was really sad to leave my Michaels family when I had to move, and if the website didn't recognise my name and try to force me to apply in the US, I would apply for another Michaels position but there is an error in the system.
Pros
breaks on time, friendly co-workers, kind managers
Cons
Not a whole lot of hours
Love their products and the coworkers were nice
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB4 July 2017
I wasn't given hours at all. I made about 73$ per pay check. Random three hour shifts and they would call and say they didn't need me a certain day. There were some weeks where I wasn't even on the schedule...
Pros
Good product
Cons
No money, no hours
Good starter job, but you don't get places
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB29 June 2017
Only worked a short time, the other employees were extremely nice and as for the supervisors too. However; I only got a seasonal job, they were willing to keep one employee, I was very reliable and on time yet they chose the worker that did less and sometimes didn't show. I liked the surroundings and the environment of the job, just didn't appreciate the managers decisions.
Pros
works well with scheduling around prior engagements
Cons
very low wage
Very productive
Représentant de ventes au détails (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC23 June 2017
Michaels is a great place to work in i have nothing bad to say about this place. Everyone knows what they have to do and if needed we helped eachother to complete different task in the store.
Pros
great environnement to work in
Cons
not enough hours
Terribly managed and illegal practices
Early Morning Replenishment (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC22 June 2017
They use your hours as weapons, mislead you on duties, and have no idea how to properly manage a business. Currently the worst Michaels in all of Canada for a reason.
Pros
There were not any.
Cons
The hours, the management, their lack of safety practices, the ignorance to the labour laws.
Mostly enjoyable due to environment and people around me
Sales Associate & Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON20 June 2017
Great place filled with strong minded determined people. Customers were very nice and considerate most times. Only flaw is management. Very strict and not understanding of personal lives and issues outside of work.
Learning Experience
Custom Framing and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodside Square16 June 2017
I loved working at Michaels, the team was friendly an the customers were friendly. The creativity in the store was bursting. I got to learn many techniques of the trades and was able to input my own knowledge and experiences to help others.
Good environment, High Pressure
General Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON 3050 Vega16 June 2017
I love working at Michaels arts and crafts, I have been there for ten years. The job has been constantly changing and constantly challenging. As a store manager the demands and expectations are borderline unrealistic
Pros
Good culture and promotion of values
low pay, no room for advancement
CUSTOMER SERVICE (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 June 2017
Working at Michaels was a good part-time job,if you are interested in crafts then this is a great place to be, but there is no room for advancement and low pay.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
no hours, no room for advancement, low pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Michaels. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9