Michaels Employee Reviews in Canada

Craft Store with amazing people
Floral Designer (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 30, 2016
Recently I've been moved to the position as a Florist because of my ability to adapt to any environment and work hard at the task assigned to me. I am very creative; this attribute adds to the enjoyment of the job. I get to create things out of simple materials. Management is great. The people placed in management work hard to make sure you're on task and are always there when you need them. All my co-workers are kind and funny, they make a hard day enjoyable.
Pros
pizza lunches occasionally, Co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours, the pay
Creative workplace
Full Time Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONFebruary 28, 2016
I greatly enjoyed working with this company. Being a creative individual, the workplace and the product I dealt with was positive and the management was always willing to answer questions and help out their employees.
Pros
Great associate discount, friendly fellow employees
Cons
Employees were made to clean the bathrooms, sometimes without the proper protection.
Productive but bad shifts management
Sales Associate/Cashier/Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ONFebruary 3, 2016
Great place to work, friendly and helpful people, but very random and few shifts given, training provided is minimal. Management is very caring and supportive. They teach you the basics of Cash and framing but a lot of it is learn on your own. Customers are enjoyable for the most part. Breaks are short. Hardest part of the job would be the lack of staff during busy holidays schedules, Enjoyable part would be the friendly environment.
Pros
Easy going, very little stress
Cons
short irregular weekly shifts, few benefits
Nothing wrong with working here
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 12, 2016
I had worked here for 1 year and 7 months, and overall it was a stable job that I was comfortable going to. There were really no down falls, except for some strong willed costumers who insist you give them that coupon (even when it doesn't even apply to the product). But I honestly cant complain, this work place treated me well for a significant amount of time.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Coupon policy
plenty busy when hours are available
Replenishment / Stocking Shelves (Current Employee) –  Calgary, ABFebruary 14, 2016
Being a retail place of business, when the sales are down, the hours go down as well except for management. Most people cannot keep working when only offered 10 hours a week. I love working here , the atmosphere is great when hours are up, then when hours are down, the workers get sloppy in their jobs.
Pros
enjoy the hours
Cons
lack of hours when sales are down
Fin place, fun people, fun customers
Seasonal Replenishment Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, ABMarch 10, 2016
I worked an early shift at Michaels, setting out product and displays before we opened. I also worked part of the open shift, and helped customers as I was dealing with product. Coworkers all had interest in different arts and we were all able to offer our help and insight to different customers. We each had a personal radio with which to communicate with our coworkers on the floor.
The hardest part of the job may have been trying to get an organizational project done while still offering help to customers that need it, which could make a one-day project take a week. Management was open to conversation and suggestions regarding the way things were done and were fairly flexible when it came to our schedules.
Pros
learning about new forms of art, offering my own expertise
Cons
not being entirely knowledgeable about certain arts, glitter
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ONJanuary 11, 2016
Working at Michael's taught me how to plan and coordinate events within the store. I learn how to manage my time within a very limited time frame. It was hard work but I felt accomplished at the end of a day's work. I worked at Michael's while attending University and they were excellent about scheduling shifts around classes and very accommodating during exam periods.
Pros
Innovative, creative
Cons
Long hours standing
Was able to work with kids, which I enjoy
Cashier/Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BCMay 4, 2016
Usually the only cashier during the weekday; was a very high paced. Learned to be quick and efficient with my duties. Learned how to help customers in a professional manor, while providing them with excellent customer service.
Pros
Learning to craft
Cons
Not enough hours
Great learning and working environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth Crossing, NSJanuary 28, 2016
waiting and assisting customers
what products are good to use for certain projects
I have a lot of knowledgeable co workers
helping the customers locate the product they are looking for and
leaving our store happy and willing to return.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
too few hours avaliable
Very fun and enjoyable workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ONMarch 1, 2016
Very fun and enjoyable work place.
Fantastic management.
Company really appreciates the staff.
Best part of the job was meeting all the creative people and seeing how much they love talking about what they do.
Pros
Amazing company to work for
Cons
no complaints
Warm workplace
Cashier & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Markham, ONMay 16, 2016
A very organized and well managed workplace. Waves of customers would appear often, but the team handles it and cleans the aftermath with ease and exceptional service.
Pros
Very friendly and welcoming environment
Cons
An hour would feel like five
Fun work environment
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ONApril 22, 2016
fast paced environment, must be able to handle difficult situations, good management team, friendly staff. Hardest part of the job is grumpy customers, best part; the people you'll meet/work with
Pros
short shifts
Cons
short shifts
Typical day
Customer Experience Manager (Current Employee) –  Prince George, BCApril 5, 2016
A typical day would be greeting and helping customers, working closely with associates.Organizing the front end and store events.The most enjoyable part of the job is belonging to a team.
Pros
Great environment, friendly associates
Experience
Spécialiste du service à la clientèle (Former Employee) –  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QCMarch 28, 2016
My work experience in Canada has been rewarding because I learned different techniques servcio customers has helped me improve my service every day.

The work environment is nice and employees respect each other
Pros
na
Cons
na
Fun place to work while surrounded by various hobbies
Customer Experience Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABNovember 13, 2015
Long hours, but rewarded with satisfaction of being able to assist customers with finding the right tools to complete their projects. Further satisfaction with getting to know both staff and customers. Somewhat more stressful during major holidays, especially Christmas, but rewarding when clients smile after they find what they need. Loved being around crafts, as it is a passion of mine, and never had the same day twice.
great staff but extremely horrid management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, ABApril 19, 2016
management purposefully forced me out of shifts due to a simple clash of personality regardless of my stats being rather remarkable.
Pros
great staff, fun environment
Cons
management
Fun work enviroment, educational, excellent customer service/knowledge
Pet Care Assosiate (Former Employee) –  Okotoks, ABOctober 30, 2015
Pet Smart was an excellent company to work for. The training was thorough, managers were patient and very supportive. It was personable and every one got along. We were extremely involved with our customers, providing great information and assistance for their pets. They treated me well as an employee, fair with wages and hours.
Pros
good hours, kind work enviroment, great customer service
Cons
no benifits
A good Craft Store
Replenishment, Truck Unload & Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Richmond, BCOctober 23, 2015
Michaels is a reasonably good craft store with a serious bent towards attempting to give good customer service. All positions require customer interactions and the pay, while not competitive at starting is good enough when long term is achieved. The company is on the mend with the advancement of some motivated personnel in head office now... much more so than it was in the past. A solid place to sink your time into, especially if you like crafts.
Pros
Craft Store
Cons
Craft Store
Clareview location was a great place to work.
Crochet Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, ABFebruary 23, 2016
I greatly enjoyed working at Michaels, Clareview. I had excellent managers who went out of their way to try and help accommodate sometimes odd student or classroom configurations.
Flexible with work schedule's
Cashier and Custom Framer (Current Employee) –  Sarnia, ONMay 4, 2016
I've worked as a cashier for 2 years and as a custom framer for approximately a year and half. Policies are high in value and staff are very friendly.
Cons
Short hours